• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Alo81
Low Poly Gynecologist
(03-08-2017, 06:59 PM)
As I play through BotW I'm getting a LOT of vibes very reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid V.

Especially early on, a lot of enemies are really strong and stealth + creativity are rewarded. Both games feel like open world stealth games with an emphasis on mixing multiple mechanics in creative ways to solve problems. You're given a large arsenal of tools and a wide breadth of options to try and dispatch enemies.

Along with that, Zelda has stuff like Reflex mode for the bow, sledding down hills with your box, fulton balloons, open world hunting/capture. OSP type stuff. The food screen feels like MGS3 with in menu health management. I actually tried spinning Link around for a little in the menu to see if he would throw up.

This is more generic stuff, but things like horseback combat, clothes with different combat/stealth impacts.

Is anyone else feeling this connection? I don't actually think Zelda designers straight cribbed stuff out of MGSV, but from a gameplay standpoint they both have very similar vibes - and they're great vibes for the both of them.
cackhyena
(03-08-2017, 07:00 PM)
Oh I thought you had an article. But yeah, I get some MGSV vibes.
Mediking
(03-08-2017, 07:00 PM)
MGS:V's gameplay is amazing and super immersive... same goes for Breath of the Wild.
JayEH
(03-08-2017, 07:01 PM)
Yep it feels like a sequel to MGSV. Took the really good things from that game and expanded upon it.
thechristoph
Banned
I don't know if the development timeline lines up to make this plausible.
James Scott
Aonuma said he liked Far Cry which is fairly similar to MGSV.
Probably a coincidence that they feel similar in some way, but it's what I wanted to happen. Was thinking how Zelda wouldn't be able to feel this good when playing MGSV but Aonuma managed to pull through
mocolostrocolos
(03-08-2017, 07:02 PM)
Same feelings here.
SuperOrez
(03-08-2017, 07:02 PM)
Yeah I thought of MGSV just after starting.
NESpowerhouse
(03-08-2017, 07:03 PM)
Standing...
Confused Cheeseburger
(03-08-2017, 07:03 PM)
I had the same thoughts.

MGSV is an amazing feat of interactive open world design. Breath of the wild takes that approach and makes even more impressive, more complex systems in a far bigger, more detailed world.
Pinky
(03-08-2017, 07:04 PM)
I can see that. The lack of music in BotW certainly makes things somewhat Quiet.
ced
(03-08-2017, 07:04 PM)

Originally Posted by thechristoph

First thing I thought. I don't think so.
Inferno313
(03-08-2017, 07:05 PM)
I said this in another thread, but in many ways it almost feels like lovechild of 2015's two big open world GOTY contenders.

You've got the massive, lived-in, handcrafted world of the Witcher 3 but with the wonderful systemic, dynamic, gameplay of MGSV. Sprinkle in some Portal 2 test chambers, and that classic Zelda feel, and you've got Breath of the Wild.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(03-08-2017, 07:05 PM)
While I'm sure people on the staff played the game and it had some influence, I'd imagine a lot of the core influence for open world options/stealth was Far Cry 3 as Aonuma listed given when the game started development.

You even have the whole Ubisoft towers and hang-gliding thing.

Far Cry 3 also had hunting that fed into crafting, guard outposts...
ec0ec0
(03-08-2017, 07:06 PM)

Originally Posted by thechristoph

The Iron Weasel
I definitely feel a MGSV similarity as well. The way equipment is slung on link's back and the way the controls feel/animation looks give me strong Venom Snake vibes.
Gitaroo
I get the stalkers, far cry, mgsv feel from the game.
Formless
Agreed, however I think just in general we're seeing a convergence of useful/fun mechanics in open world action games.
HeatBoost
(03-08-2017, 07:07 PM)
Wouldn't they have only had a year to play it, give or take a few months? Seems unlikely to be a huge influence

More likely they were influenced by the same things (although in Zelda's case, you could always say it's just returning to it's roots)
ElBoxyBrown
All it's missing is Link listening to 80s music on his Sony Walkman.
Stereogatari
100% what I thought

Also SotC and Portal

In fact it made me appreciate MGSV even more. What a game that is.
nbnt
is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Don't really see it. Both have amazing emergent gameplay systems to mess with, but that's it.

Now if you're saying SOTC vibes, now that's a real thing.
mikeGFG
It's more likely they played a lot of Far Cry 2.

You can see this clearly when Link basically comes down with malaria after sprinting for 2.5 seconds.
PAULINK
I microwave steaks.
(03-08-2017, 07:08 PM)
As someone who hated mgs5 and hasnt started botw, I really hope this isnt true.
bemusedchunk
(03-08-2017, 07:08 PM)
I didn't think they were allowed to play games outside of Nintendo.
Cool Guy Sami
(03-08-2017, 07:09 PM)

🤔
Cartho
(03-08-2017, 07:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Alo81

A
Along with that, Zelda has stuff like Reflex mode for the bow, sledding down hills with your box, fulton balloons, open world hunting/capture. OSP type stuff. The food screen feels like MGS3 with in menu health management. I actually tried spinning Link around for a little in the menu to see if he would throw up.

I'm about 7 hours in so far, what kind of Fulton balloon style mechanic is there? Not encountered anything of the sort yet....

I think it's fair enough - say what you like about the story in MGSV, the gameplay was absolutely god tier in terms of 3rd person shooting / 3rd person stealth action.
Neoleo2143
(03-08-2017, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Cartho

I'm about 7 hours in so far, what kind of Fulton balloon style mechanic is there? Not encountered anything of the sort yet....

Kill some octorocks, drop their drops on some physics object and have fun.
JobenNC
(03-08-2017, 07:10 PM)
I thought it was more like 3 tbh.

Trago
(03-08-2017, 07:12 PM)
Definitely, that and Far Cry.

They made it work too which is the best part of this all.
Stereogatari
(03-08-2017, 07:12 PM)

Originally Posted by JobenNC

I thought it was more like 3 tbh.

Yes I got some vibes from this as well. The GOAT.
Fisty
(03-08-2017, 07:13 PM)
I saw an article praising BOTWs use of empty space, but people were lambasting MGSV for that. I hope more people start to come around to the idea that not every open world game has to be a fucking carnival with pointless set piece designs every 15 ft
Crossing Eden
Banned
(03-08-2017, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Fisty

I saw an article praising BOTWs use of empty space, but people were lambasting MGSV for that. I hope more people start to come around to the idea that not every open world game has to be a fucking carnival with pointless set piece designs every 15 ft

That's because Breath of the Wild's world actually feels lived in, including the empty space since there's always wildlife, insects, rain, SOMETHING going on, compared to the world of MGSV which felt empty and unnecessarily large with very little to see let alone do. So BOTW is basically how you use empty space the right way. It also doesn't help that MGSV's world seems completely superfluous in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by Crossing Eden; 03-08-2017 at 07:22 PM.
James Scott
(03-08-2017, 07:18 PM)

MGSV's world was kind of poor. Link can climb everything, snake could climb designated areas.
MGSV's issue is also the lack of a decent fast travel which BOTW has.
a bit of a difference, though MGSV's gameplay is superb
ckaneo
(03-08-2017, 07:19 PM)

Both games could cut out some wasted space. But Breath of the Wild actually feels like it needs to be open world. MGSV doesn't.
Tron#1
(03-08-2017, 07:21 PM)
wow!
notaskwid
(03-08-2017, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

While I'm sure people on the staff played the game and it had some influence, I'd imagine a lot of the core influence for open world options/stealth was Far Cry 3 as Aonuma listed given when the game started development.

That's funny to read when a lot of people here say that Horizon is a bad game compared to Zelda and always list Far Cry 3 as the game Horizon "copies" (disclaimer: I haven't played Horizon, and only played Zelda for 10 minutes in a store).
The Iron Weasel
(03-08-2017, 07:23 PM)

I loved MGSV and the empty space didn't really bother me much in MGSV, but I was profoundly aware of the empty space. It made sense given the setting, but the long drives really started to wear after a while with the lack of a more traditional fast travel system. I also think that breath of the wild has more to do in its open world, looking for chests, koroks, doing puzzles and such. Phantom Pain had bases and outposts with stealth/combat and fultoning soldiers. Not knocking those activities at all, just not much variety.
Crossing Eden
Banned

Originally Posted by notaskwid

That's funny to read when a lot of people here say that Horizon is a bad game compared to Zelda and always list Far Cry 3 as the game Horizon "copies" (disclaimer: I haven't played Horizon, and only played Zelda for 10 minutes in a store).

A natural conclusion we can draw is that Ubisoft is just a really influential dev. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Twookie
yup, was has been saying the same things with my group of friends.
can't say I mind, the gameplay was the thing of MGSV by far and BotW is fucking great too.
eliochip
Missed opportunity to change the treasure chest opening sound to "woah-HOOOOOO"
AcademicSaucer
(03-08-2017, 07:25 PM)
Far Cey 2 too, and Portal
Soph
(03-08-2017, 07:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Windwaker had Deku Leaf = Hang Glider, samey guard outposts at sea with a Fish you had to find instead of Ubi Towers for maps which only got you an outline.

Not saying they weren't inspired, most of it is things Zelda already has done in the past though.

Leaves hunting for meat, which is a fairly standard mechanic
Kudo
(03-08-2017, 07:26 PM)
MGSV is one of my most hated games, Breath of the Wild is quickly becoming one of my favourites.
Lot more to do in the Wild.
ksamedi
(03-08-2017, 07:31 PM)
Its certainly similar in how the developers built systems to create true non scripted dynamic gameplay. I think both are the best open world games ever made, and both are from Japanese developers. Japanese devs should try this more often.
rhandino
(03-08-2017, 07:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

A natural conclusion we can draw is that Ubisoft is just a really influential dev. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But how are their games influential if they all are bomb in sales? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eolz
(03-08-2017, 09:31 PM)
Oh yeah, you can definitely feel it in terms of systems, but also with the Sheikah slate and other UX elements.
It definitely takes more from MGS V and Elder Scrolls than Ubisoft.
kIdMuScLe
(03-08-2017, 09:43 PM)
Doesn't add up Since BOTW was announced on Jan 2013 and MGS V was released on September 2015 so the core design was already well established by the time MGS V ground zeroes was released
Crossing Eden
Banned
(03-09-2017, 04:20 AM)

Originally Posted by rhandino

But how are their games influential if they all are bomb in sales? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because they're not unless you're also referring to the dissonance between the reception of Ubi's games both in terms of critics and sales compared to gaf.
Risette
A Good Citizen
(03-09-2017, 04:25 AM)
So Aonuma has actually namedropped Farcry? Huh.

I've been joking with friends that it's the best FC game I've played but I thought the connections only existed in my head. Neat. I really like Ubi's FC so I mean that in the best way possible!