• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

rrs
(03-09-2017, 04:34 AM)
MGSV and BOTW have really great world immersion, but I think that both comes from far cry 3 but with time/budget put into it and in MGSV's case a continuation of peace walker gameplay
cryptosporidium
(03-09-2017, 04:36 AM)
Moblin outposts are pretty similar to MGSV outposts. Large barren land. ponytail.

This is chapter 3. Hideo is a mad man
b00_thegh0st
(03-09-2017, 04:37 AM)
Climbing up to Zora's domain sure gave me a MGS vibe.
b00_thegh0st
(03-09-2017, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by rrs

MGSV and BOTW have really great world immersion, but I think that both comes from far cry 3 but with time/budget put into it and in MGSV's case a continuation of peace walker gameplay

MGS V felt a lot more like Far Cry 2 than 3. Which isn't a bad thing.
Spring-Loaded
(03-09-2017, 04:44 AM)
Let me "recruit" a moblin army with an expansive home base in what's left of hyrule pls
rrs
(03-09-2017, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by b00_thegh0st

MGS V felt a lot more like Far Cry 2 than 3. Which isn't a bad thing.

Never played 2 myself, but thought 3 was quite a snoozefest. Most of the game mechanics from MGSV seem to be 1:1 from peace walker, which I also haven't played.
Foxxsoxx
(03-09-2017, 04:46 AM)
Well seeing how I love MGSV this is making me super salty I don't have a Switch.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(03-09-2017, 04:48 AM)
Speculation: MGSV and BotW were both developed by smart developers who actually know what good game design is and what human beings want from open world games.
Chill Penguin
(03-09-2017, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Inferno313

I said this in another thread, but in many ways it almost feels like lovechild of 2015's two big open world GOTY contenders.

You've got the massive, lived-in, handcrafted world of the Witcher 3 but with the wonderful systemic, dynamic, gameplay of MGSV. Sprinkle in some Portal 2 test chambers, and that classic Zelda feel, and you've got Breath of the Wild.

That's a good description of it being a combination of the best parts of witcher 3, mgs 5, and portal 2 all mixed into one. Those are game of the year caliber games themselves, no wonder some are considering BotW as the greatest of all time.
b00_thegh0st
(03-09-2017, 04:57 AM)
This thread got me dreaming of a Big Boss compilation. Snake Eater, Peace Walker and V in one package. On Switch :P
Digital Savior
(03-09-2017, 04:58 AM)
After 13 hours of BotW since Monday, I just haven't felt like that at all.

To each their own.
FantasticMrFoxdie
Mumber
(03-09-2017, 05:00 AM)
Exact vibe i get playing through this game. Link is as timeless and Badass as Snake

The mechanics for the most part are god-tier
Ryouji Gunblade
(03-09-2017, 05:02 AM)
It feels pretty good too. Whenever I get on a horse or use the sheikah slate for scouting I'm all like "Afghanistan is a big place."
_Clash_
(03-09-2017, 05:04 AM)
The moment to moment gameplay is an evolved Monster Hunter IMO

I see a lot of design from there
Rathorial
(03-09-2017, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Alo81

Both games feel like open world stealth games with an emphasis on mixing multiple mechanics in creative ways to solve problems. You're given a large arsenal of tools and a wide breadth of options to try and dispatch enemies.

I see multiple games that it got influenced by, but really that description is vague enough to apply to so many sandbox games (open-world or smaller).

Mixing multiple mechanics in creative ways to solve problems was pretty much the Looking Glass/Ion Storm way back in the late 90s. Open-world games just make that choose your own approach using tools mantra feel natural to do, because you have this big persistent space for the player to move around in. We would've seen more of these games before this gen if cinematic linear games weren't the big game thing to do last gen, and too many devs ripped off GTA or AC instead of Bethesda or Far Cry.

Smaller mechanics all over the place remind me of Far Cry, MGSV, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, etc. I'll definitely say I like the focus on dynamism this gen.
Stereogatari
(03-09-2017, 04:24 PM)
The aesthetic and music of the shrines remind me of FFX shrines.
Alo81
Low Poly Gynecologist
(03-20-2017, 08:34 PM)
I feel like this image belongs in this thread.

wild wild rice
(03-20-2017, 08:41 PM)
Playing BotW made me wish that's what MGSV was in terms of game structure.

I despise Mother Base.
mikezilla2
(03-20-2017, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by cackhyena

Oh I thought you had an article. But yeah, I get some MGSV vibes.

he Could write one :P

that being said from alot of the things i have seen it looks to take insperation from a Few things
dh4niel
(03-20-2017, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by NESpowerhouse

Standing...

on the eeeeeeedge of the plateau...
J-Tier
(03-20-2017, 08:50 PM)
I think it's just convergent evolution.
Kinyou
(03-20-2017, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Cool Guy Sami

🤔

"I expect you to become quite familiar with that Sheikah Slate of yours"
ZombiePlatypus
(03-20-2017, 09:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Stereogatari

100% what I thought

Also SotC and Portal

In fact it made me appreciate MGSV even more. What a game that is.

I can see some MGSV in botw so far (at least, the aspects that weren't a let down) but Portal was a super strong vibe for me too. The small shrines for sure.
Akiller
(03-20-2017, 09:04 PM)
Pre 100 years time-skip: Ground Zeroes
Post time-skip: The Phantom Pain

Originally Posted by Kinyou

"I expect you to become quite familiar with that Sheikah Slate of yours"

"Now go, let my Legend come back to life!"
The Pope
(03-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
I disagree whenever people use MGSV as some sort of masterclass in openworld design and systems. Sorry. It is a dull lifeless world with more repetition than Shadow of Mordor. MGSV wishes BotW would claim progeny from its design. I think BotW is just a good open world game. Fullstop.

Maybe I am being harsh but still MGSV promised me a pizza but only delivered a slice.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-20-2017, 09:16 PM)
Metal Gear and Zelda are secretly the same series.

-First game is a top down game with a three quarters perspective of single rooms, where you have a ton of items, blow open walls, get more health every time you beat a boss, get badly translated hints from NPCs, and parts where it appears "sidescrolling" when you're just going up ladders/elevators.

-There's a black sheep game with a lot of sidescrolling action, where the title names the protagonist instead of the McGuffin (Link's Adventure/Snake's Revenge)

-The third game is basically the first one on steroids, but with the future structure of the series in place (Link to the Past/Metal Gear 2)

-The first 3D game is basically just the last 2D game but with 3D environments and a massive boost in presentation. It comes out in 1998 (Ocarina of Time/Metal Gear Solid)

-(if I wanted to be mean to Majora's Mask I'd compare it to an expansion pack like VR Missions, meant to reuse assets to capitalize on the last game's success)

-The first game for the PS2/GC generation is a controversial game in which a rookie who is constantly compared to his legendary predecessor has to uncover a secret while crossing islands above an ocean. They eventually descend beneath the waters and discover a massive secret. At the very end, on top of an old stone building, they have a sword fight with the antagonist, a bearded old man who is the former ruler of a country who desperately wants to take back the world from the godlike powers that denied him. (Metal Gear Solid 2/The Wind Waker)

-The followup game is clearly a reaction to the mixed reception to the last, more experimental game. It tries to be more conventional, with a gritty brown artstyle and a more "badass" protagonist. Your female ally turns out to be using you for her own gain, there's a segment where you have to carry her to safety while she's badly wounded. There's a segment where the antagonist, a physically imposing giant of a man, is chasing you around while you and a woman ride together, with one of you steering and the other shooting. (Metal Gear Solid 3/Twilight Princess)

-There's a shooting gallery spinoff. (Metal Gear Solid Touch, Link's Crossbow Training)

-The next game is highly controversial because of how linear and story/lore centric it is. People complain that you never get to actually play. People argue that the game is highly overrated, and wonder if the series is in trouble (Metal Gear Solid 4/Skyward Sword)

-A handheld entry proves to be the ray of shining light, as the designers feel free to experiment more. It turns out to be laying the foundation for the game design in the next main game. (Peace Walker/A Link Between Worlds)

-This all leads to an open world experience game. You can pick up enemy weapons, gather plants and other resources, interact with wildlife, slide on hills using items traditionally used for other reasons, sneak around or go in guns blazing, wear different clothing, slow down time to accurately shoot enemies, do stuff in any order you want. The protagonist wakes up from a long slumber after many years, having been considered dead. With missing memories (and sporting a new ponytail) they immediately set off across the land on their horse, scoping out enemy outposts with their scopes, and using their anachronistic future tablet that's always at their side, as they try to bring the legend back to life. (Metal Gear Solid V/Breath of the Wild)
Last edited by EmCeeGramr; 03-20-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Hindl
(03-20-2017, 09:18 PM)
Holy shit
Soul of the Beast
Banned
(03-20-2017, 09:20 PM)

I feel like this image belongs in this thread.

Oh my god. This is amazing.
I have to make an avatar out of it, take it If you want.

Last edited by Soul of the Beast; 03-20-2017 at 09:27 PM.
EhoaVash
(03-20-2017, 09:23 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if the zelda team managed to hire some ex konami ( kojima production ) members too.

I mean hell even wolf link being alongside link reminded me of the dog in MGSV lol

Slythe
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

-First game is a top down game with a three quarters perspective of single rooms, where you have a ton of items, blow open walls, get more health every time you beat a boss, get badly translated hints from NPCs, and parts where it appears "sidescrolling" when you're just going up ladders/elevators.

-There's a black sheep game with a lot of sidescrolling action, where the title names the protagonist instead of the McGuffin (Link's Adventure/Snake's Revenge)

-The third game is basically the first one on steroids, but with the future structure of the series in place (Link to the Past/Metal Gear 2)

-The first 3D game is basically just the last 2D game but with 3D environments and a massive boost in presentation. It comes out in 1998 (Ocarina of Time/Metal Gear Solid)

-(if I wanted to be mean to Majora's Mask I'd compare it to an expansion pack like VR Missions, meant to reuse assets to capitalize on the last game's success)

-The first game for the PS2/GC generation is a controversial game in which a rookie who is constantly compared to his legendary predecessor has to uncover a secret while crossing islands above an ocean. They eventually descend beneath the waters and discover a massive secret. At the very end, on top of an old stone building, they have a sword fight with the antagonist, a bearded old man who is the former ruler of a country who desperately wants to take back the world from the godlike powers that denied him. (Metal Gear Solid 2/The Wind Waker)

-The followup game is clearly a reaction to the mixed reception to the last, more experimental game. It tries to be more conventional, with a gritty brown artstyle and a more "badass" protagonist. Your female ally turns out to be using you for her own gain, there's a segment where you have to carry her to safety while she's badly wounded. There's a segment where the antagonist, a physically imposing giant of a man, is chasing you around while you and a woman ride together, with one of you steering and the other shooting. (Metal Gear Solid 3/Twilight Princess)

-There's a shooting gallery spinoff. (Metal Gear Solid Touch, Link's Crossbow Training)

-The next game is highly controversial because of how linear and story/lore centric it is. People complain that you never get to actually play. People argue that the game is highly overrated, and wonder if the series is in trouble (Metal Gear Solid 4/Skyward Sword)

-A handheld entry proves to be the ray of shining light, as the designers feel free to experiment more. It turns out to be laying the foundation for the game design in the next main game. (Peace Walker/A Link Between Worlds)

-This all leads to an open world experience game. You can pick up enemy weapons, gather plants and other resources, interact with wildlife, slide on hills using items traditionally used for other reasons, sneak around or go in guns blazing, wear different clothing, slow down time to accurately shoot enemies, do stuff in any order you want. The protagonist wakes up from a long slumber after many years, having been considered dead. With missing memories (and sporting a new ponytail) they immediately set off across the land on their horse, scoping out enemy outposts with their scopes, and using their anachronistic future tablet that's always at their side, as they try to bring the legend back to life. (Metal Gear Solid V/Breath of the Wild)

This just blew my mind.

Edit: does this mean the next Zelda game will be a multiplayer zombie hoard adventure with wormholes?
Last edited by Slythe; 03-20-2017 at 09:38 PM.
visiblemode
(03-20-2017, 09:39 PM)
Kinda reminds me more of Far Cry, Skyrim, Zelda (of course) and actually almost a Spyro vibe at times.
Akiller
(03-20-2017, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Soul of the Beast

Oh my god. This is amazing.
I have to make an avatar out of it, take it If you want.

Holy shit that pic rotfl, will put that avatar thanks !
Timeaisis
(03-20-2017, 09:44 PM)
I agree. It's very open world sandbox-y, in a very similar vein.

BotW has a much better crafted world itself, but the sandbox, experimental nature of the enemy encampments coupled with the physics simulation and the vast array of tools at your disposal is very MGSV-like.
Markoman
(03-20-2017, 09:45 PM)
I don't get the comparisson to be honest.

Edit: Ok, ok EmCeeGramr convinced me :D
Last edited by Markoman; 03-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
LordKasual
Banned
(03-20-2017, 09:46 PM)

As I play through BotW I'm getting a LOT of vibes very reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid V.

Especially early on, a lot of enemies are really strong and stealth + creativity are rewarded. Both games feel like open world stealth games with an emphasis on mixing multiple mechanics in creative ways to solve problems. You're given a large arsenal of tools and a wide breadth of options to try and dispatch enemies.

Along with that, Zelda has stuff like Reflex mode for the bow, sledding down hills with your box, fulton balloons, open world hunting/capture. OSP type stuff. The food screen feels like MGS3 with in menu health management. I actually tried spinning Link around for a little in the menu to see if he would throw up.

This is more generic stuff, but things like horseback combat, clothes with different combat/stealth impacts.

Is anyone else feeling this connection? I don't actually think Zelda designers straight cribbed stuff out of MGSV, but from a gameplay standpoint they both have very similar vibes - and they're great vibes for the both of them.

This was literally the very first observation i made when watching the first real gameplay footage of this game.

I thought it was pretty obvious. MGSV is a Japanese title too.

People thought i was bashing the game, but BotW looks like a Zelda game made immediately after all the devs got finished marathoning MGSV
Falchion
(03-20-2017, 09:47 PM)
They both do a great job of letting you tackle problems any way you want with a huge variety of tools and strategies while also making each approach feel good.
ThatsMytrunks
(03-20-2017, 09:48 PM)

Originally Posted by thechristoph

I don't know if the development timeline lines up to make this plausible.

This seems the absolute answer, but yeah, I definitely get a lot of the feelings I got while playing MGSV.
peanutbutterlatte
(03-20-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by The Iron Weasel

I definitely feel a MGSV similarity as well. The way equipment is slung on link's back and the way the controls feel/animation looks give me strong Venom Snake vibes.

There's Zelda 1 artwork from years back where he has equipment all slung on his back, figured it was referencing that.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(03-20-2017, 10:00 PM)
No, they played a lot of Zelda on the NES. By the time MGSV came out the game would have been mostly done.
IronicSonic
(03-20-2017, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

magnetic
(03-20-2017, 10:23 PM)
The cardboard box is just the best.

I played it initially on the 360 last year and was yearning for a more detailed open world, so I dropped it pretty quickly. Started playing on PC since last week and I can´t get enough of it - the combat itself really is so incredibly entertaining.

Especially since I find myself seamlessly switching between carefully sneaking my way through a base and just all out launching rockets at everyone from a mountain top.

I was listening to the Bombcast where they discussed the game in depth and it really reminded me of the way BOTW is being received right now. How they talked about the game being full of loveable little details, and how differently you can approach each situation, often switching strategies on the fly when shit goes bad.

I mean, I found an audio tape that had the sounds of a solider having diarrhea. I chuckled a bit at the childish humor, but later on in the Bombcast they mentioned that you can hide in a toilet, play that tape and guards will assume that it´s occupied with another soldier.

It´s pretty amazing that both MGSV and BOTW are games that have in development for a very long time and had time to really get just loads and loads of little detail put into them - they are really products of a team that wasn´t concerned with budget or time constraints.

Game with such a huge amount of detail really come out very rarely.

I also really appreciate they they let you play as any solider you fulton - I´m currently playing with a short haired woman that sounds like she has bronchitis. In a series so obsessed with their characters I was really surprised they let you do that - and especially after that intial twist.
Last edited by magnetic; 03-20-2017 at 10:27 PM.