• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

OrbitalBeard
(03-13-2017, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by CrashPrime

I really dislike the art of this game. The let's plays look super repetitive. I think I will take a hard pass. Shame this got a physical and Fast RMX didn't.

I like Fast RMX a lot.

This game is way, way better.
PixyJunket
(03-13-2017, 01:56 AM)
WHY NO AMAZON PREORDER?!
OrbitalBeard
(03-13-2017, 02:06 AM)

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

WHY NO AMAZON PREORDER?!

Because you waited too long. I pre-order a month ago.
mariachi507
(03-13-2017, 02:16 AM)
Fuck, I cancelled it because I was getting low on funds and had Zelda and Shovel Knight to play. Now that I got ahold of some cash it's unavailable on Amazon. Oh well, live and learn, if I still wanted to cancel I should have waited a little closer to shipment.
PixyJunket
(03-13-2017, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

Because you waited too long. I pre-order a month ago.

I didn't realize that waiting too long to preorder a game was actually a thing.
Thoraxes
(03-13-2017, 02:19 AM)

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

I didn't realize that waiting too long to preorder a game was actually a thing.

For a game like this that will have a small print run, yeah.
The Teachinator
(03-13-2017, 02:20 AM)
This is still available on best buy.
FlaygletheBagel
(03-13-2017, 02:24 AM)

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

I like Fast RMX a lot.

This game is way, way better.

How so? Just curious. I'm totally new to BoI and sorta on the fence after seeing what little gameplay I have. I'm not disinterested in it altogether but I'm wondering what the appeal is.
UberTag
(03-13-2017, 02:42 AM)

Originally Posted by FlaygletheBagel

How so? Just curious. I'm totally new to BoI and sorta on the fence after seeing what little gameplay I have. I'm not disinterested in it altogether but I'm wondering what the appeal is.

Isaac is a game that's difficult to appreciate simply based on watching a let's play stream with isolated gameplay. Especially if that stream is showing early levels with an underpowered build which is often the case.

The appeal comes from replaying the game repeatedly to unlock new weapons, new pickups and new trinkets as the layers of the game begin to peel away like an onion. A lot of these items combine in truly unique ways to power up your character and it becomes a challenge to see how powerful you can make Isaac before the run ends. Plus, more levels, boss types and enemies reveal themselves as you go. You can play Isaac for a hundred hours before seeing a specific room-type or specific weapon/item combo because of how the randomization works.

Believe me, I was put off at first as well. And then I started watching some Twitch streams to get a sense of how everything in Isaac fit together. After which it became my go-to Vita game for months which I played constantly until I unlocked everything. It's highly addictive. You always want to go just one more run to unlock the next power-up and see what it does and how it interacts with everything else in your arsenal.

It's a trip to go from a build that plays like...

To one that plays like...

Last edited by UberTag; 03-13-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Soi-Fong
(03-13-2017, 03:07 AM)
I really want to just have this always in my Switch, but the Limited Physical Run is tempting me. I might just go with the physical version. Seeing an actual booklet inside a game case is nuts now. lol
FlaygletheBagel
(03-13-2017, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by UberTag

Isaac is a game that's difficult to appreciate simply based on watching a let's play stream with isolated gameplay. Especially if that stream is showing early levels with an underpowered build which is often the case.

The appeal comes from replaying the game repeatedly to unlock new weapons, new pickup and new trinkets as the layers of the game begin to peel away like an onion. A lot of these items combine in truly unique ways to power up your character and it becomes a challenge to see how powerful you can make Isaac before the run ends. Plus, more levels, boss types and enemies reveal themselves as you go. You can play Isaac for a hundred hours before seeing a specific room-type or specific weapon/item combo because of how the randomization works.

Believe me, I was put off at first as well. And then I started watching some Twitch streams to get a sense of how everything in Isaac fit together. After which it became my go-to Vita game for months which I played constantly until I unlocked everything. It's highly addictive. You always want to go just one more run to unlock the next power-up and see what it does and how it interacts with everything else in your arsenal.

It's a trip to go from a build that plays like...

To one that plays like...

Thanks for the extra details, you may have just sold me on it! Sounds like an interesting concept for a game. I think the art style and the small early snippets of gameplay were a turn off for me but I'm willing to give it a shot.
OrbitalBeard
(03-13-2017, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by FlaygletheBagel

UberTag did a great job explaining its appeal. It's a really great game, but it took awhile for it to click for me.
Sleeping Lesson
(03-13-2017, 03:39 AM)
Really, really excited to put another 100 hours into a Binding of Isaac game. I struggle to imagine a more perfect game for the Switch platform.
Link_enfant
(03-13-2017, 01:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Soi-Fong

I really want to just have this always in my Switch, but the Limited Physical Run is tempting me. I might just go with the physical version. Seeing an actual booklet inside a game case is nuts now. lol

I think I'll also get the digital version even if I pre-ordered the Limited physicial one on play-asia.
I don't mind re-buying this game multiple times as it's so awesome and I love it (and I still haven't even got the Real Platinum God achievement before the first Afterbirth release).

I already have the game on Steam with all DLC (along with the original Isaac WotL Eternal Edition), PS4 with Afterbirth DLC, and Rebirth on both Wii U and New 3DS.

Getting the newest Afterbirth+ which I still haven't played (my PC sucks, a lot) on Switch is just so appealing considering the console's hybrid capabilities, and the Limited physical edition is just one more bonus I I really can't miss out.
TheGuardian
(03-13-2017, 01:28 PM)
Still no news on the EU release date right?
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(03-13-2017, 01:32 PM)
Thanks.

Preordered at Best Buy just now. $34 after tax thanks to GCU.
Palette Swap
(03-13-2017, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by TheGuardian

Given their track record, if it's not available this week, I'll probably buy it on the US eshop. The EU release on PS4/PSV skipped a patch altogether and we had to wait an additional 3 months for some fixes.
Haunted
(03-13-2017, 09:17 PM)
Missing the launch (window?) in EU is a fairly big misstep, wonder if they got into trouble with lotcheck or something.
Last edited by Haunted; 03-13-2017 at 09:48 PM.
fritzon
(03-13-2017, 09:28 PM)
Any experienced "importers" that could recommend a retailer to import this from? (I live in Sweden)

Last time I imported a game was Trespasser (yeah... don't ask) and ended up paying more than 1000SEK for that piece of shit and I haven't bothered since.
mistermuddles
(03-13-2017, 10:25 PM)
Really annoying how Amazon runs out of stock so quickly when its readily available at other retailers. Thinking about jumping ship from Amazon Prime to Best Buy GCU. I had a $20 gift card for Target so I decided to order it there.
ghibli99
Banned
(03-13-2017, 10:25 PM)
Don't even have a Switch yet, but I'm not about to miss out on the first-run goodies.
deadfolk
(03-13-2017, 11:38 PM)
In my heart I know the answer, but I cannot believe that at this stage there's still no official word on EU.
Inferno313
(03-14-2017, 03:31 PM)
I got some eShop money for my birthday this weekend, and I'm probably going to spend it on this game on Friday. That said, I've only ever played OG Binding of Isaac on Steam and didn't get SUPER into it at the time. How different/improved is Afterbirth+ going to feel from the very original Steam release of the game? Is it going to feel worth the asking price, given that I only payed a few dollars for the original version?
StaticJam
(03-14-2017, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Inferno313

I got some eShop money for my birthday this weekend, and I'm probably going to spend it on this game on Friday. That said, I've only ever played OG Binding of Isaac on Steam and didn't get SUPER into it at the time. How different/improved is Afterbirth+ going to feel from the very original Steam release of the game? Is it going to feel worth the asking price, given that I only payed a few dollars for the original version?

When you say original version do you mean this version, or Rebirth?
Inferno313
(03-14-2017, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by StaticJam

When you say original version do you mean this version, or Rebirth?

The former.
Original-ass-original Binding of Isaac.

Don't think I even had the expansion pack Ed made for it.
Jerry
(03-14-2017, 03:38 PM)
I cancelled my physical import pre-order.

Would rather have it installed so I can quickly play whenever the fancy strikes.
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(03-14-2017, 03:41 PM)
I decided to go digital but I'm a little bummed out because I wanted the physical treats. Basically what the post above me is saying.
ViolentP
(03-14-2017, 03:43 PM)
I picked up a preorder but I think I'm going digital simply because I know it will always be available.
deadfolk
(03-14-2017, 03:44 PM)
I really need them to release this on the EU shop. Yeah, I know - region free...but I have €40 sitting in my eShop account, begging to be spent.
Diablohead
(03-14-2017, 03:44 PM)

Originally Posted by TheGuardian

With this publisher it's not worth waiting, import would be best.
Hispanicguy
(03-14-2017, 03:58 PM)
I was able to pick up a copy yesterday here in NYC. Some pictures:

These are the default controls but you can customize them however you want:

The touch screen is used for the map, items and pills/cards.

Here are some screenshots from the game (being played in portable mode):

I never put in a crazy amount of hours into this game. I think Rebirth was the last time I played so I don't know too much about all the items and whatnot but I do know it's an awesome game. Very fun and this was a definite purchase on the Switch.

I agree this seems better as a digital title but a physical release (with a manual!) for a game like this was too good to pass up.

From my 45 min or so playtime in portable mode, I haven't had any slowdown or any issues at all. Runs very smooth and looks great. I can't say how things will be once you get a combination of crazy items but I'm confident it'll be fine.

Playing on the TV is good as well. No complaints with that. Looks fine and runs smooth as well but I see myself spending the majority of my playtime on portable. That screen makes every game look beautiful.

I'm using a solo joy-con just to test it out. Not bad. They have it so that the L button would activate your item. I can see myself accidentally pressing it while playing so that may be the only issue but since you can configure controls, you can fix that. A single joy-con wouldn't be my first choice but that's in general with any game. Feels too cramped for me but it definitely works because of how simple the controls are.

Both joy-cons are how I play. I think the face buttons feel better in terms of shooting. Again, just a personal preference.

In terms of co-op, 2nd played would hit start on their control and choose from 5 different characters. Their faces are what sets them apart and each time you start a new game, there are different faces to choose from. You take 1 heart from the main character. If 2nd player dies, they turn into a big bomb and explode. You can jump right back in and take another heart if you want. If the main character has only 1 heart left, then you get only half a heart.

I can confirm that the only character unlocked from the start is Isaac.

There are daily challenges (which are up and running) and leaderboards for them, which you can sort by Global/Friends/Mine.

Like I said, I don't have too much experience with this game but from the few hours I have played I think it's awesome. Definitely a must buy.
Last edited by Hispanicguy; 03-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(03-14-2017, 04:00 PM)
Hype is rising
aygomyownroad
(03-14-2017, 04:03 PM)
No preorders in UK... Are we even getting a physical copy here!!!
Rumble19
(03-14-2017, 04:03 PM)
Triple dipping on this one.
IlGialloMondadori
(03-14-2017, 04:14 PM)
Physical release is really cool, and I have it preordered on Amazon, but...I may cancel and just go digital. Being able to quickly switch to it seems like it would be ideal.
mjc
(03-14-2017, 04:16 PM)
Trying to decide if I wanna get this or not..I've never played it before but I'm kind of intrigued. Is the physical run super limited or something?
Sleeping Lesson
(03-14-2017, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by mjc

Trying to decide if I wanna get this or not..I've never played it before but I'm kind of intrigued. Is the physical run super limited or something?

Long term I'm sure it won't be limited, but the launch copies have a limited booklet included.
Retro4ever
(03-14-2017, 04:28 PM)

Originally Posted by mjc

I think they said that the first batch would have something special, which I assume is the manual
StaticJam
(03-14-2017, 04:30 PM)

The former.

Rebirth is a remake of the original with expanded content and mechanics, afterbirth is an expansion that adds even more, and afterbirth+ adds some new end game stuff as well as a lot of community items and ideas. (and mod support on PC).

Originally Posted by Hispanicguy

I was able to pick up a copy yesterday here in NYC. Some pictures:

These are the default controls but you can customize them however you want:

The touch screen is used for the map, items and pills/cards.

Here are some screenshots from the game (being played in portable mode):

I never put in a crazy amount of hours into this game. I think Rebirth was the last time I played so I don't know too much about all the items and whatnot but I do know it's an awesome game. Very fun and this was a definite purchase on the Switch.

I agree this seems better as a digital title but a physical release (with a manual!) for a game like this was too good to pass up.

From my 45 min or so playtime in portable mode, I haven't had any slowdown or any issues at all. Runs very smooth and looks great. I can't say how things will be once you get a combination of crazy items but I'm confident it'll be fine.

Playing on the TV is good as well. No complaints with that. Looks fine and runs smooth as well but I see myself spending the majority of my playtime on portable. That screen makes every game look beautiful.

I'm using a solo joy-con just to test it out. Not bad. They have it so that the L button would activate your item. I can see myself accidentally pressing it while playing so that may be the only issue but since you can configure controls, you can fix that. A single joy-con wouldn't be my first choice but that's in general with any game. Feels too cramped for me but it definitely works because of how simple the controls are.

Both joy-cons are how I play. I think the face buttons feel better in terms of shooting. Again, just a personal preference.

In terms of co-op, 2nd played would hit start on their control and choose from 5 different characters. Their faces are what sets them apart and each time you start a new game, there are different faces to choose from. You take 1 heart from the main character. If 2nd player dies, they turn into a big bomb and explode. You can jump right back in and take another heart if you want. If the main character has only 1 heart left, then you get only half a heart.

I can confirm that the only character unlocked from the start is Isaac.

There are daily challenges (which are up and running) and leaderboards for them, which you can sort by Global/Friends/Mine.

Like I said, I don't have too much experience with this game but from the few hours I have played I think it's awesome. Definitely a must buy.

Does the Switch port have FoundHUD options (oops somehow didnt see it in the last shot), the image filter, and the item tracker?
JGCD
(03-14-2017, 04:31 PM)
WHAT? BoL has local coop? is this switch or has it always had it?
Hispanicguy
(03-14-2017, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by StaticJam

Does the Switch port have FoundHUD options (oops somehow didnt see it in the last shot), the image filter, and the item tracker?

Screenshot of the options menu:

This is how co-op looks:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PitifulCra...restricted.gif

2nd player would control the little guy and is free to move all around the room.
Last edited by Hispanicguy; 03-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Lucifon
(03-14-2017, 04:38 PM)
Can't believe there's still no word on EU release. This needs to hit the eShop alongside the US. Don't want to mess about switching regions and buying credit. I have credit on my account ready in the UK shop.
David___
(03-14-2017, 04:39 PM)

Originally Posted by JGCD

WHAT? BoL has local coop? is this switch or has it always had it?

Always had it since Rebirth
Haunted
(03-14-2017, 04:43 PM)

The former.

If you've never played Rebirth, I think this is well worth it. You're in for a treat compared to the Flash original. Great new pixel-based art style, much smoother performance, more synergies and just a ton of content to discover.

Originally Posted by Lucifon

Can't believe there's still no word on EU release. This needs to hit the eShop alongside the US. Don't want to mess about switching regions and buying credit. I have credit on my account ready in the UK shop.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Here's hoping there's word by Nicalis soon.
Last edited by Haunted; 03-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Triforce141
(03-14-2017, 04:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Hispanicguy

Welp, time to triple dip for this game
dmaul1114
(03-14-2017, 04:47 PM)
I'll probably end up grabbing this digitally as it's a great pick up and play game. I got it on Vita (don't have anymore) and PS4 via plus and bought the Afterbirth expansion a few weeks back. I liked playing on Vita more than PS4 though, so will be good to have portable again.
Tron#1
(03-14-2017, 04:48 PM)
this game has been around forever.... Why is it considered good?
Rizzi
(03-14-2017, 04:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Haunted

If you've never played Rebirth, I think this is well worth it. You're in for a treat compared to the Flash original. Great new pixel-based art style, much smoother performance, more synergies and just a ton of content to discover.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Here's hoping there's word by Nicalis soon.

I have a sneaking suspicion the word by Nicalis will be "There's regions outside of North America?"
DanteRavenkin
(03-14-2017, 04:51 PM)
So, I have pretty limited experience with Isaac, but I've had this pre-ordered since it was announced. When you die, you lose everything and start from scratch, right? If so, how to people end up surviving long enough to get those shit-kicking powerups? When I played briefly in the past, I never had much luck. I also suck pretty bad at the game :P
oneida
Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
(03-14-2017, 04:52 PM)
Paid $26.55 for mine after taxes thanks to GCU + the Visa checkout deal last month. Can't wait!