• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:36 PM)
Since the N64, Nintendo has followed a very predicable formula for their 1st party IP.

One or two Zelda games
One or two 3D Mario
One or two 2D Mario (this started with DS to be fair)
One Mario Kart
One Smash Brothers
One golf game/One tennis game

Most of the games tend to be evergreen and we basically know we're getting getting. It's like a checkbox.

However, now with the Switch, those teams don't need to be spilt between two hardware platforms--portable and console.

Could that mean those teams could be freed up for more risky and new IP? To me this is one the more exciting things of Nintendo unifying their development to one platform.

They can alter this formula, which to be fair, has become stale. I do love MK, Smash, and 3D Mario, but imagine if those teams can now, after their done with those installments, work on newer IP? That's been one of the biggest criticism about Nintendo. Great development teams, but lack of new heavy hitting IP by their A-Teams.

Does the Switch's unified 1st party mean newer and risky IP from Nintendo?
mocolostrocolos
Like ARMS?
Juice
Yes
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(03-11-2017, 02:37 PM)
Essentially, but isnt that kind of already what they were doing with those handheld games? They rarely stick to the formula when making those iterations. Itll just all be on one console.
HeisenbergWW62
(03-11-2017, 02:37 PM)
I think Retro is working on a new IP, as much as I want them to make a new Metroid Prime
fernoca
(03-11-2017, 02:38 PM)
Maybe. It should mean more games at least.
sphinx
the piano man
(03-11-2017, 02:38 PM)
I will believe in this unified 1st party when I see it.

So far, nintendo keeps announcing separate Switch and 3DS games into 2017, so I will believe it in 2018 the earliest.
Shiggy
(03-11-2017, 02:39 PM)
Maybe further down the road. The current lineup wouldn't let me think so.
TheMoon
(03-11-2017, 02:39 PM)
Newer?

As in Newer Super Mario Bros.?
Camper Van Beethoven
(03-11-2017, 02:40 PM)
Probably not. Nintendo is a very conservative company.
Lexxism
Splatoon? ARMS?
entremet

Originally Posted by sphinx

So far, nintendo keeps announcing separate Switch and 3DS games into 2017, so I will believe it in 2018 the earliest.

I mean. It structurally happened already. Those are probably leftover projects.

Originally Posted by Lexxism

Splatoon? ARMS?

Good points. Not discounting them, but i want to see more ;)
Vital Tundra
(03-11-2017, 02:41 PM)
We have Arms for a start made by the Mario Kart team of all devs. Aonuma may very well start work on the new ip he wants to make after the Zelda dlc wraps up.

Originally Posted by entremet

I mean. It structurally happened already.

And let's not act like what they are announcing for the 3DS are the best titles we have ever seen. It's clear the 3DS is not their focus anymore.
Succinct Verbosity
(03-11-2017, 02:43 PM)
I have to imagine if 3ds sales decrease in line with Switch sales increasing the quirky handheld games will be making their way over.
entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:44 PM)
Also, Nintendo does create a lot of new IP in the budget space--Art Academy, Dillon, Pushmo, etc.

I'm talking about more stuff like Arms and Splatoon.
sphinx
the piano man
(03-11-2017, 02:44 PM)

I mean. It structurally happened already.

yeah I know they said that.

what I meant is that nothing in 2017 is pointing at an unified dev enviroment, regardless of what or how they re-arranged their teams in the last 2 years or so

Example, Nintendo is still doing 2 fire emblems in 2017, one for 3DS one for Swtich.

same old nintendo, doing 2 different games for 2 different pieces of hardware.

(unless I just don't understand what "unified 1st party" means for production of games)
Scrawnton
(03-11-2017, 02:45 PM)
I need a Box Boy collection on Switch. I need a Nintendo Direct like right now to tell me Nintendos plans for Switch because all we know now is Mario Kart releases in another month and that's all from them with dates.
entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:46 PM)

what I meant is that nothing in 2017 is pointing at an unified dev enviroment, regardless of what or how they re-arranged their teams in the last 2 years or so

Example, Nintendo is still doing 2 fire emblems in 2017, one for 3DS one for Swtich.

(unless I just don't understand what "unified 1st party" means for production of games)

Aint FE 3DS a remake?
NSESN

FE switch is 2018, and echoes is done in the 3DS engine, it would need almost a full remake to look good on the Switch.
Possumowner
I certainly hope so,more new IPs the better
sphinx
the piano man
(03-11-2017, 02:47 PM)

Aint FE 3DS a remake?

I don't know,

if it is, don't mind that comment, I stand corrected

Originally Posted by NSESN

FE switch is 2018, and echoes is done in the 3DS engine, it would need almost a full remake to look good on the Switch.

Switch's FE game releasing in 2018 is besides the point.

nintendo is using 2 different dev teams for 2 different games in the same series, I thought unified 1st party was about avoiding exactly that, dividing teams with different pieces of hardware,
entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Possumowner

I certainly hope so,more new IPs the better

I hope so too.

I think it's one of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses in terms of hardcore gamer perception.

"Another Mario Kart?"

"Another Smash? etc?"

"Didn't I play this already?"
Last edited by entremet; 03-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.
RichiRamjag
(03-11-2017, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Scrawnton

I need a Box Boy collection on Switch. I need a Nintendo Direct like right now to tell me Nintendos plans for Switch because all we know now is Mario Kart releases in another month and that's all from them with dates.

I'd assume arms shortly after in the spring, then splatoon shortly after that. In regards to first party, I think that's pretty good. Pokémon or monster hunter in the fall would be tremendous though.

Originally Posted by DarkConfidant

This. They also won't stop acknowledging that the 3DS serves a different purpose/market.

I don't want to assume they're not to keep making DS games or new DS hardware.

I agree, but it wouldn't look good to immediately abandon the 3ds before knowing if the switch is even a major success. I feel that they wanted to to feel things out a bit.

I am already sick of hearing them talk about 3ds and releases, so I certainly know what you mean though.
Last edited by RichiRamjag; 03-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.
DarkConfidant
(03-11-2017, 02:49 PM)

This. They also won't stop acknowledging that the 3DS serves a different purpose/market.

entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:50 PM)

Originally Posted by DarkConfidant

None of the 3DS software they're putting out sounds like big budget, though.

Also the PR is just them hedging their bets, just like they did with the 3rd pillar nonsense.

They're a publicly traded company, so they need to be careful with public perception.

But in terms of realignment, that is done. The teams are unified.
Osakadon
(03-11-2017, 02:51 PM)
I doubt it but I'd like to be proven wrong.
I expect even more than ever, made by comity, focus tested, maximized earnings titles than ever before. If their price gouging of accessories is anything to go by.
120v
the "old guard" at nintendo seems to be stepping back, splatoon taught them a valuable lesson not every idea needs mario slapped on it to sell... i expect to see a lot of "new" stuff
LordKano
Banned
2017 3DS's lineup is composed of a mediocre sport compilation, a remake of a previous FE game which reuses engine, assets and models from Fates, and a low-budget sidescroller Pikmin spin-off.

Let's not act like they haven't already switched their focus.
Jacce
At the very least we are going to see titles on it that had been handheld only for a while (Pokemon, AC, Fire Emblem).

I think it is safe to say we will get at least one of no matter what:

Zelda
3D Mario
2D Mario
2D Kirby
2D Donkey Kong
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Mario Party
Animal Crossing
Pokemon (mainline RPG)
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade
jdmonmou
(03-11-2017, 02:52 PM)
Here's hoping Nintendo finally creates a new IP aimed at an older audience.
NahaNago
We unfortunately haven't seen the unification yet. So i'd say no at this time or its too early to tell.

Originally Posted by jdmonmou

that also would be lovely.
Alrus

Originally Posted by LordKano

2017 3DS's lineup is composed of a mediocre sport compilation, a remake of a previous FE game which reuses engine, assets and models from Fates, and a low-budget sidescroller Pikmin spin-off.

Let's not act like they haven't already switched their focus.

There's that Grezzo game that they haven't really talked about it since it was announced last year at E3 too :P
ShinUltramanJ
Until 3DS is out of the picture, unified first party development is nothing but a pipe dream.

If it does happen in a couple years then yes, I think we might see more new ip. But more likely I expect to see more familiar faces that don't always get attention each generation.
Tavernacle12
(03-11-2017, 02:53 PM)
Those may be throughline games but it's not like Nintendo releases the same thing on each home console. For example:

-GameCube had Eternal Darkness (new IP), Metroid Prime (long missing IP), and Pikmin (new IP).
-Wii had Wii Sports (new IP), Punch Out (long missing IP), Excite Truck (long missing IP), and Donkey Kong (long missing IP).
-Wii U had Star Fox (long missing IP), Splatoon (new IP), and NintendoLand (new crossover).

Series like Kirby, Yoshi, and Fire Emblem also pop in and out on their consoles.
RichiRamjag

Originally Posted by jdmonmou

I thought Pokémon was for older people. :p

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

Until 3DS is out of the picture, unified first party development is nothing but a pipe dream.

If it does happen in a couple years then yes, I think we might see more new ip. But more likely I expect to see more familiar faces that don't always get attention each generation.

Kano made the point above, but it's not like the 3ds lineup is full of games that look like a lot of effort went into development.
CDX
Eventually it probably will. Behind the scenes they've already structured their dev teams for it to happen.

But it won't happen completely until the 3DS dies or Nintendo kills it. Nintendo are seemingly keeping the 3DS alive still, so it may delay the full ramifications and results of a unified 1st part a bit.

I mean the 3DS was not Nintendo's best selling portable system, but right now it's basically all they got to bring in a certain amount of profit. They'd be stupid to kill it TOO soon.

The 3DS will die eventually, as long as the Switch doesn't bomb ...which now at only a week after launch looks like it probably won't bomb.
Chittagong
(03-11-2017, 02:54 PM)
So do we think Mario Kart 8DX is the Switch one Mario Kart
Camper Van Beethoven
(03-11-2017, 02:55 PM)

I hope so too.

I think it's one of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses in terms of hardcore gamer perception.

"Another Mario Kart?"

"Another Smash? etc?"

"Didn't I play this already?"

The issue is their games are super conservative.

Zelda is really popular this time around because it's genuinely different and feels modern. Too many of their games feel like HD GameCube games.
Jacce

Nintendo's internal EPD/EAD studios no longer make 3DS games, they have 100% ceased development for it as far as we can tell. I think its been almost a year since they had a title for it.

How is that a pipe dream when we see it in effect?
Scrawnton

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Yes and I think it'll get a bunch of DLC this gen. I'm shocked they even called it Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. They should've just called it Mario Kart Deluxe and had it be a platform for a yearly season pass.
entremet
(03-11-2017, 02:56 PM)

Pipe dream.

It happened lol.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/nintendo-ead-spd-merge/
Buzzi
(03-11-2017, 02:56 PM)
May be, but the equation of half platforms = double games will not work out at all. Hopefully teams with an important role and nice size will show up with something smart though (like Intelligent Systems with STEAM).

I'm looking at Monolith, they used to enstablish a lot of strange IPs other than Xenogames (Baten Kaitos, Disaster, Endless Frontier, Soma Bringer), if the unified lineup doesn't give them room to make new things I'll start to think the acquisition by Nintendo wasn't a wonderful event (for me, obviously).
Bashtee
(03-11-2017, 02:57 PM)

This. I honestly expected a lot more 3DS-ish games during the launch window, maybe even HD ports/remakes, but we haven't seen anything in that regard.
RichiRamjag
(03-11-2017, 02:57 PM)

That'd be disappointing, but possibly. I'd like to see at least four more cups with new maps if so.
ShinUltramanJ
(03-11-2017, 02:58 PM)

Like Zelda I think the days of Mario Kart being "exclusive" to one piece of hardware are over. With Mario Kart 8 being so early I don't expect a Mario Kart 9 until Switch's winding down. Then it'll get ported over to its successor. I think Nintendo likes the possibility of a double dip.
StreetsAhead
(03-11-2017, 02:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Alrus

There's that Grezzo game that they haven't really talked about it since it was announced last year at E3 too :P

And the FE Warriors port. So like 6 games that we know of.
Last edited by StreetsAhead; 03-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.
entremet

Why would they need another?

Those games sell forever for each generation.
Jacce

Like Zelda I think the days of Mario Kart being "exclusive" to one piece of hardware are over. With Mario Kart 8 being so early I don't expect a Mario Kart 9 until Switch's winding down. Then it'll get ported over to its successor. I think Nintendo likes the possibility of a double dip.

It's a process that has worked wonders for Rockstar. I think this makes a lot of sense. MK8 Deluxe is going to sell for years. If MK9 comes to Switch it won't be till the end of its life. 2021-2022ish.
Air
Naturally and also Nintendo's younger devs probably want to do different stuff (along with the older devs actually). I think the switch will be home to a lot of unique Nintendo games.

They'll have their mainstays, but they'll need to get new ip out the door so they don't have another situation where everything is Mario. By them only wanting to do 1 major ip a cycle (Mario, mario kart, etc.) It tells me they're planning on expanding their ip portfolio.
ShinUltramanJ
(03-11-2017, 03:01 PM)

Pipe dream.

It happened lol.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/nintendo-ead-spd-merge/

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.