• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

LordKano
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:01 PM)
LordKano's Avatar

Originally Posted by StreetsAhead

And the FE Heroes port. So like 6 games that we know of.

FE Warriors, the musou one. Heroes is the mobile game.
entremet
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:01 PM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jacce

It's a process that has worked wonders for Rockstar. I think this makes a lot of sense. MK8 Deluxe is going to sell for years. If MK9 comes to Switch it won't be till the end of its life. 2021-2022ish.

And think about it, why even do that?

Lower the price--Nintendo Selects or something like that--and it will keep selling for a long time.

Better to let the MK team work on the Switch's successor. MK8 is already really really good. No need to drop another until we get newer hardware.
Last edited by entremet; 03-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.
gogogow
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:03 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.

Happened 1.5 years ago. Who knew developing games takes time.......I bet Nintendo has nothing to announce at E3!
Thelonelykoopa
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:04 PM)
Thelonelykoopa's Avatar
I'm hoping that with Nintendo no longer having to split their development between a Handheld and a Console it would mean we will get a more consistent stream of Nintendo games for the Switch; not holding my breath yet though.
Epcott
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:04 PM)
Epcott's Avatar
Yes yes, new IPs, but I also hope this means the return of multiple first party sequels on one console too. I still can't believe we got 3 Super Mario Bros games on the NES.

One Zelda or Mario per gen (except for the Wii) is unacceptable.
gogogow
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:05 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

Until 3DS is out of the picture, unified first party development is nothing but a pipe dream.

If it does happen in a couple years then yes, I think we might see more new ip. But more likely I expect to see more familiar faces that don't always get attention each generation.

Originally Posted by entremet

Pipe dream.

It happened lol.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/nintendo-ead-spd-merge/

Shows how much people know about Nintendo. But gotta go fast with ma replies, who cares about facts!

Zelda BotW is made under EPD.
astrogamer
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:06 PM)
astrogamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by entremet

Pipe dream.

It happened lol.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/nintendo-ead-spd-merge/

SPD and EAD merging didn't necessarily merge their software output in terms of platforms. They just finally moved all internal development into a single division. The handheld games were either developed by external companies or portions of internal group
LordKano
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:06 PM)
LordKano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Epcott

Yes yes, new IPs, but I also hope this means the return of multiple first party sequels on one console too. I still can't believe we got 3 Super Mario Bros games on the NES.

One Zelda or Mario per gen (except for the Wii) is unacceptable.

That's perfectly acceptable if that means quality games. You're not entitled to have multiple Zelda or Mario games on a console. They are games that takes a lot of time (6 years for Breath of the Wild).
ShinUltramanJ
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:08 PM)
ShinUltramanJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

Happend 1.5 years ago. Who knew developing games takes time.......I bet Nintendo has nothing to announce at E3!

Not every game has to be a AAA juggernaut though. Something small like a Resogun wouldve been cool.
Skittzo0413
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:08 PM)
Skittzo0413's Avatar

Originally Posted by sphinx

yeah I know they said that.

what I meant is that nothing in 2017 is pointing at an unified dev enviroment, regardless of what or how they re-arranged their teams in the last 2 years or so

Example, Nintendo is still doing 2 fire emblems in 2017, one for 3DS one for Swtich.

same old nintendo, doing 2 different games for 2 different pieces of hardware.

(unless I just don't understand what "unified 1st party" means for production of games)

9 first party titles for the Switch are coming in the first 9 months. Compare that to the same time frame for the Wii U or 3DS. The unified output is already happening.
entremet
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:08 PM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Epcott

Yes yes, new IPs, but I also hope this means the return of multiple first party sequels on one console too. I still can't believe we got 3 Super Mario Bros games on the NES.

One Zelda or Mario per gen (except for the Wii) is unacceptable.

2D marios on NES is much easier development proposition, even back then, than multiple 3D marios.
NSESN
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:09 PM)
NSESN's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.

Most portable teams are still either adapting to HD development or still making 3DS games, almost all of the console teams already have titles announced (I think only Retro is missing).
James Scott
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:09 PM)
James Scott's Avatar
Nintendo invested in a few new IPs last generation like the Wonderful 101, Codename Steam, and Splatoon.
Splatoon was like 2 years ago and ARMs is coming out in like May/June.
Might depend more on how Switch performs, but I think it should help, yes.
Previously they'd have to dedicate a lot of resources to making different versions of a franchise for two consoles like MK7 and MK8. Now they only have to make one which should, in theory, result in either a bigger game with long term DLC support or giving the team time to make something new. Part of the Animal Crossing team worked on Splatoon and part of the MK team worked on ARMS.
They also don't have to be limited as much as they were last gen where 3DS had the install base but Wii U had the power.
MrCookiepants
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:10 PM)
MrCookiepants's Avatar
I think people are putting too much on Arms. It's just a drought filler, not the next big Nintendo IP.
Salvadora
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:11 PM)
Salvadora's Avatar
They might make another Zelda game for Switch, but I can't imagine it bearing any resemblance to Breath of the Wild given the nature of game development.

Multiple Mario is a given if we include 2D Mario/Mario Maker - but that's a different beast.

Don't want more Mario Kart and I don't think Nintendo intends to make it beyond Deluxe, thankfully.

It would just be more of the same.
Jacce
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:11 PM)
Jacce's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.

It launched with what it did on purpose not due to a lack of development. Mario Kart was basically done, we have heard Mario Odyssey is effectively done. They are spacing out releases intentionally not due to having games ready. They want a major top tier first party game every two months, unlike WiiU which could go 4-5+ months without any first party titles.

Launch with Zelda then roughly 2 months later Mario Kart, then roughly 2 months later ARMS (which they are hoping will be a big new IP like Splatoon was), then roughly 2 months later Splatoon 2. And then the rest of the year will have at least Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey and some sort of mix of Pokemon, Smash Bros and/or Xenoblade.

Nintendo's schedule is to avoid there being any extended drought unlike WiiU and 3DS which had basically 6 month periods without any first party titles in their first year.
Last edited by Jacce; 03-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.
The Horror the horror
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:11 PM)
The Horror the horror's Avatar

Originally Posted by 120v

the "old guard" at nintendo seems to be stepping back, splatoon taught them a valuable lesson not every idea needs mario slapped on it to sell... i expect to see a lot of "new" stuff

The old guard should have retired a long time ago or at the very least assume consulting roles with no influence on Nintendo software lineup.
ShinUltramanJ
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:12 PM)
ShinUltramanJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by gogogow

Shows how much people know about Nintendo. But gotta go fast with ma replies, who cares about facts!

Zelda BotW is made under EPD.

I see you're in full blown defense mode, which isn't surprising. Sorry if I don't research every fucking move Nintendo makes.

I'm out.
entremet
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:13 PM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrCookiepants

I think people are putting too much on Arms. It's just a drought filler, not the next big Nintendo IP.

I wouldn't call it drought filler. It's new launch IP.

It's tough to judge how popular it will be, though.
gogogow
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:16 PM)
gogogow's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

I see you're in full blown defense mode, which isn't surprising. Sorry if I don't research every fucking move Nintendo makes.

I'm out.

What isn't surprising? Because you don't know your facts you are calling me a Nintendo fanboy? Lol, get that shit outta here indeed. In this day and age, facts are more important than ever. A simple google search would've given you an answer. Defense mode? Calling you out for not knowing the facts? Lol. Do I need to post pictures of what I own before people stops calling me a fanboy? Pathetic.
Last edited by gogogow; 03-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
StreetsAhead
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:17 PM)
StreetsAhead's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordKano

FE Warriors, the musou one. Heroes is the mobile game.

And this is what happens when I don't get a 2nd coffee so thank you.
NSESN
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:19 PM)
NSESN's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrCookiepants

I think people are putting too much on Arms. It's just a drought filler, not the next big Nintendo IP.

No, it's not, it's made by the MK8 team and has almost universal good impressions. Nintendo put a lot of effort in this new IP like they did with Splatoon 2 years ago. MK8D is drought filler.
DeuceGamer
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:19 PM)
DeuceGamer's Avatar
I think the potential is there for them to release some of the lesser known IP or create new IP. Guess we will see though.
stuminus3
Never buying another games console. Ever.
(03-11-2017, 03:19 PM)
stuminus3's Avatar
It means you're going to get the release schedule of the Wii U with none of the advantages of the 3DS library.

No company can derail their own momentum faster than Nintendo.
RichiRamjag
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:20 PM)
RichiRamjag's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Horror the horror

The old guard should have retired a long time ago or at the very least assume consulting roles with no influence on Nintendo software lineup.

That's going pretty far. I'm sure they still have a lot to contribute. I'm sure every oldhead at Nintendo isn't like miyamoto.

Originally Posted by gogogow

What isn't surprising? Because you don't know your facts you are calling me a Nintendo fanboy? Lol, get that shit outta here indeed. In this day and age, facts are more important than ever. A simple google search would've given you an answer. Defense mode? Calling you out for not knowing the facts? Lol. Do I need to post pictures of what I own before people stops calling me a fanboy? Pathetic.

That's the norm lately. It's getting old.

Originally Posted by Salvadora

The reality is that game development costs (money, manpower) on Switch are higher than 3DS.

Not as simple as Wii U + 3DS = Switch in terms of release schedules.

Even still, it's not like major games are even being announced for 3ds lately.
Last edited by RichiRamjag; 03-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Salvadora
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:23 PM)
Salvadora's Avatar

Originally Posted by stuminus3

It means you're going to get the release schedule of the Wii U with none of the advantages of the 3DS library.

No company can derail their own momentum faster than Nintendo.

The reality is that game development costs (money, manpower) on Switch are higher than 3DS.

Not as simple as Wii U + 3DS = Switch in terms of release schedules.
ArtHands
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:26 PM)

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.

What if they have more unannounced games that they are saving up for E3 because they dont want to blow all their loads up front

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

I see you're in full blown defense mode, which isn't surprising. Sorry if I don't research every fucking move Nintendo makes.

I'm out.

that's a sad way of trying to get the last word in and then bail out at the same time.
Last edited by ArtHands; 03-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
SanSebastian
Junior Member
(03-11-2017, 03:26 PM)
SanSebastian's Avatar
Would be great if they would do something completely new.

No Jump'n'Run.
No comic art-style.

You can't criticize the PS4/Xbox that there are only shooters while they have a lot of different genres actually, while Nintendo is recycling their (successful) IPs over and over again.
RichiRamjag
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:33 PM)
RichiRamjag's Avatar

Originally Posted by SanSebastian

Would be great if they would do something completely new.

No Jump'n'Run.
No comic art-style.

You can't criticize the PS4/Xbox that there are only shooters while they have a lot of different genres actually, while Nintendo is recycling their (successful) IPs over and over again.

I can't think of a person on gaf who thinks ps4 is mainly shooters. It's often praised for its diverse lineup. Nintendo, while they use the same ips a lot at least keeps them fairly diverse in regards to genre. They've got platformers, adventure games, racers, etc. Even the IPs they continue to use are crazy different from game to game in the series.

Your argument doesn't make sense because on one hand, you're talking genres, but then your actual complaint is simply about recycling IPs. Even still, we've been given splatoon and now arms and we also know retro is working on a new IP as well.
Machina
Banned
(03-11-2017, 03:34 PM)
BotW's very nature as a game tells me they are happily going to take risks
Jawmuncher
(03-11-2017, 03:35 PM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar
It better. I want more M rated risks like we got on the GameCube
SanSebastian
Junior Member
(03-11-2017, 03:39 PM)
SanSebastian's Avatar

Originally Posted by RichiRamjag

I can't think of a person on gaf who thinks ps4 is mainly shooters. It's often praised for its diverse lineup. Nintendo, while they use the same ips a lot at least keeps them fairly diverse in regards to genre. They've got platformers, adventure games, racers, etc. Even the IPs they continue to use are crazy different from game to game in the series.

Your argument doesn't make sense because on one hand, you're talking genres, but then your actual complaint is simply about recycling IPs. Even still, we've been given splatoon and now arms and we also know retro is working on a new IP as well.

This shooter argument is what i often hear from Nintendo fans.
I also don't get how my argument doesn't make sense, if i say that i don't want another jump'n'run or comic looking game. This is what most of Nintendo's IPs are like.
And they are successful, yes. But many people including me are tired of the same releases over and over again. The games i played on the N64 are the same games that are coming out today.
Hermii
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:41 PM)
Hermii's Avatar

Originally Posted by DarkConfidant

This. They also won't stop acknowledging that the 3DS serves a different purpose/market.

I don't want to assume they're not to keep making DS games or new DS hardware.

I guarantee if they make another dedicated portable it will use a Nvidia soc similar to Switch , the same cart tech, the same dev environment and the same OS.

They have been wanting to move away from two radically different platforms forever, but the tech hasn't been there.
Last edited by Hermii; 03-11-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Jacce
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:44 PM)
Jacce's Avatar

Originally Posted by DarkConfidant

This. They also won't stop acknowledging that the 3DS serves a different purpose/market.

I don't want to assume they're not to keep making DS games or new DS hardware.

Nintendo's internal EPD studios no longer make 3DS games and haven't in a long while. And there has not been one single rumor in the slightest of a 3DS successor.

You should assume there is no DS hardware coming. Because...It isn't happening. The closest will be a smaller/cheaper handheld only Switch down the line.
metareferential
Member
(03-11-2017, 03:55 PM)
metareferential's Avatar
Not really.

At least, not immediately. But once the user base is there, they could and I think they will take more risks.

Keeping in mind that it's Nintendo we're talking about anyway.
stuminus3
Never buying another games console. Ever.
(03-11-2017, 04:09 PM)
stuminus3's Avatar

Originally Posted by Salvadora

The reality is that game development costs (money, manpower) on Switch are higher than 3DS.

Not as simple as Wii U + 3DS = Switch in terms of release schedules.

I would be interested to see some statistics in the increase in cost of development vs the decrease in titles developed overall.

(But I was mostly just being sarcastic earlier...)
Jonneh3003
Junior Member
(03-11-2017, 04:14 PM)
Jonneh3003's Avatar
Most likely and I cannot wait.
archreaper93
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:17 PM)
I think so. Both that and revival of older IPs (F-Zero please!).
RichiRamjag
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:17 PM)
RichiRamjag's Avatar

Originally Posted by SanSebastian

This shooter argument is what i often hear from Nintendo fans.
I also don't get how my argument doesn't make sense, if i say that i don't want another jump'n'run or comic looking game. This is what most of Nintendo's IPs are like.
And they are successful, yes. But many people including me are tired of the same releases over and over again. The games i played on the N64 are the same games that are coming out today.

Because you talk about genre when they put out rpgs, racers, adventure games, fighting games, etc, then complain about artsyle lol. Even still, I find the jump and run comment silly as they offer those various genres, but you're free to hold the opinion.

Even still, anyone who says ps4 only offers shooters would have an opinion just as ridiculous as someone who would describe the bulk of ninty games as simply "jump and run"(and should not be taken seriously).
Last edited by RichiRamjag; 03-11-2017 at 04:21 PM.
AmyS
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:20 PM)
I'd love me a Switch follow-up to Steel Diver: Sub Wars.
lutheran
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:20 PM)
lutheran's Avatar

Originally Posted by sphinx

I will believe in this unified 1st party when I see it.

So far, nintendo keeps announcing separate Switch and 3DS games into 2017, so I will believe it in 2018 the earliest.

Exactly, I would bet real money that if the Switch takes off this year Nintendo will be fooled into thinking they can have both the Switch and a 3DS follow-up that isn't a Switch derivative. They like having 2 distinctly different pieces of hardware on the market, if both can sell well all the better. I think that would be a big mistake. Working on only the Switch, along with maybe a more portable version of it down the road, they can make this hybrid as popular as the SNES was back in the day. The best of both worlds and all those 3DS developers and their own developers making games for the same system.
What The Forest Taught Me
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:26 PM)
What The Forest Taught Me's Avatar

Originally Posted by entremet

Since the N64, Nintendo has followed a very predicable formula for their 1st party IP.

One or two Zelda games
One or two 3D Mario
One or two 2D Mario (this started with DS to be fair)
One Mario Kart
One Smash Brothers
One golf game/One tennis game

Most of the games tend to be evergreen and we basically know we're getting getting. It's like a checkbox.

However, now with the Switch, those teams don't need to be spilt between two hardware platforms--portable and console.

Could that mean those teams could be freed up for more risky and new IP? To me this is one the more exciting things of Nintendo unifying their development to one platform.

They can alter this formula, which to be fair, has become stale. I do love MK, Smash, and 3D Mario, but imagine if those teams can now, after their done with those installments, work on newer IP? That's been one of the biggest criticism about Nintendo. Great development teams, but lack of new heavy hitting IP by their A-Teams.

Does the Switch's unified 1st party mean newer and risky IP from Nintendo?

I agree with everything you stated. The dearth of new, heavy-hitting, large-scale, "AAA" IP by their A teams over the past many years has been one of their biggest problems.

If they're to remain relevant/regain lost relevance, expand their industry footprint, and grow as a company, Nintendo must begin releasing far more new large-scale, heavy-hitting, "AAA" IP. An abundance of new franchises, coupled with a decreased reliance on Mario-based games, is essential.
Last edited by What The Forest Taught Me; 03-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.
shark sandwich
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:29 PM)
shark sandwich's Avatar
We'll see. I bet a year ago if you asked "now that Nintendo is making a hybrid system, will the launch lineup not be so barren?" most people would've said yes.
Chindogg
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:33 PM)
Chindogg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

The issue is their games are super conservative.

Zelda is really popular this time around because it's genuinely different and feels modern. Too many of their games feel like HD GameCube games.

I get the argument, but I always find it weird to hear it when the same people will play the yearly Madden, FIFA, CoD, etc games.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(03-11-2017, 04:35 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar
We will see more new IPs and also more revivals of dormant franchises. They won't have to make 2 distinct entries of Smash, NSMB, Mario Kart, Etc for each platform anymore.
What The Forest Taught Me
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:39 PM)
What The Forest Taught Me's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Horror the horror

The old guard should have retired a long time ago or at the very least assume consulting roles with no influence on Nintendo software lineup.

It's great to see the younger creatives at Nintendo start to have more influence on what happens.
Last edited by What The Forest Taught Me; 03-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Mik317
Member
(03-11-2017, 04:56 PM)
Mik317's Avatar
The games from the op get "rehashed" because they sell and move units. So yeah we will see those on the switch. That doesn't mean there won't be new stuff either. If you actually look you'd see that most Nintendo consoles actually get a bunch of new ips... they just don't count because they aren't always big.
Shikamaru Ninja
任天堂 の 忍者
(03-11-2017, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by ShinUltramanJ

It happened a couple years ago and the Switch launch was still this barren? Good God I wish you didn't tell me.

Besides the initial HD scramble, there were setbacks during the R&D relocation in 6.2014 (right after Mario Kart 8) and then the official restructure right in 9.2016 (right after Super Mario Maker). Truth is Nintendo is still expending its game development teams throughout 3 platforms. But hopefully this second-half and early 2018 we see much more fruition from their internal R&D sector.

Originally Posted by astrogamer

SPD and EAD merging didn't necessarily merge their software output in terms of platforms. They just finally moved all internal development into a single division. The handheld games were either developed by external companies or portions of internal group

Miitopia might be the last in-house Nintendo EPD game for the 3DS. The remaining 3DS games are probably co-developments and external developments under the first-party banner. But you never know, there may have been some weird 3DS game prototype that suddenly gets the green-light.
Last edited by Shikamaru Ninja; 03-11-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Hattori
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:10 PM)
Hattori's Avatar
I hope they make experimental horror games
astrogamer
Member
(03-11-2017, 05:25 PM)
astrogamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Ninja


Miitopia might be the last in-house Nintendo EPD game for the 3DS. The remaining 3DS games are probably co-developments and external developments under the first-party banner. But you never know, there may have been some weird 3DS game prototype that suddenly gets the green-light.

I expect that too but, the formation of EPD wasn't exactly proof. There were a couple internal 3DS titles after its formation like Miitopia. Miitopia was likely put on the 3DS because it seems to be an experience that is better to share, as well as trying to partially dissociate the Miis from the Switch.

Also, relevant to the tad underwhelming lineup is that Zelda games take massive amount of development resources which can hold back development for various internal titles. Zelda is by far, the biggest franchise they make in terms of developers contributing and various Zelda developers often become leads in the other internal Nintendo projects

Thread Tools