• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dark Cloud
(03-11-2017, 05:28 PM)
Ugh they've been doing this. ARMS (Mario Kart guys) is coming this year. I think Retro is working on a new IP. Aonuma was asked by Nintendo to make a new IP. Splatoon came out two years ago. Also, Codename Steam.
Last edited by Dark Cloud; 03-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
wildfire
(03-11-2017, 05:30 PM)
This is half of what I expect. The other half is expecting other IPs to get a lot more attention.

From the Old
With the tighter focus I seriously expect a challenging Kirby's Dreamland with a more epic scope in stage variety and enemy encounters.

I would be very surprised if Steel Diver isn't their next big shooter because they clearly were headed in that direction.

What's new
I expect Nintendo to come out with the first iconic console RTS.

I expect them to come out with some bizarre but memorable new adventure series.

I expect them to come out with an RPG series that harkens back to how these games used to be flexible and real life party focused like DnD. It's not like DnD is dead but video game companies have by and large avoided trying to allow people to make quests dependent on the imagination of a GM and their friends reacting as best as they can to the scenario. It's very hard and potentially expensive for a videogame but it's a very rewarding experience.
Camper Van Beethoven
(03-11-2017, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Chindogg

I get the argument, but I always find it weird to hear it when the same people will play the yearly Madden, FIFA, CoD, etc games.

They're multiplayer games. They have their reasons to exist.
entremet
(03-11-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Chindogg

I get the argument, but I always find it weird to hear it when the same people will play the yearly Madden, FIFA, CoD, etc games.

It's different for 3rd party, which are meant to compliment a system.

One of the big benefits of being a first party is the ability to take risks since they have alternate revenue streams--hardware sales and licensing.
Hermii
(03-11-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by sphinx

I will believe in this unified 1st party when I see it.

So far, nintendo keeps announcing separate Switch and 3DS games into 2017, so I will believe it in 2018 the earliest.

The 3ds announcements aren't something that takes up a large percentage of Nintendos resources. Now it's more unified than its ever been, and it will gradually be more and more.
Yjynx
(03-11-2017, 06:01 PM)
I simply wish to see GF made full 3D pokemon switch.
Tron#1
(03-11-2017, 06:51 PM)
We can only hope but my idea of risky is probably different than most people.
jwhit28
(03-11-2017, 06:57 PM)
Nintendo releases or helps publish a lot of different and interesting stuff on their platforms. Most of it just doesn't count for some reason in the minds of people that complain that Nintendo does the same old thing all the time.
HardRojo
(03-11-2017, 06:59 PM)
That's what everyone thought, then they said they didn't think of Switch as the 3DS' successor or something like that, and now I don't know what to think.
tiijj
(03-11-2017, 07:05 PM)
3DS is still alive and might have a successor but it was nintendo who said that and they sometimes do the opposite of what they say.

But let's say that the switch will be the only they have, a unified hybrid system then I think what nintendo will push right now is DLC or an "expansion pass". I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 has a free and paid DLC or even mario odyssey might have an expansion pass similar to zelda botw like playable luigi, peach, toad, etc... They might even do something similar to what they did with mario u and luigi u.
m.i.s.
(03-11-2017, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by mocolostrocolos

Like ARMS?

Yes...and 1 2 Switch.

And more mobile games.
Sub Boss
Banned
(03-11-2017, 07:12 PM)
Maybe ,ARMS,Splatoon and 12 Switch are new
Sub Boss
Banned
(03-11-2017, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by HardRojo

That's what everyone thought, then they said they didn't think of Switch as the 3DS' successor or something like that, and now I don't know what to think.

They also have said their teams are working on both console and handheld games on the Switch so don't listen to every PR line Nintendl shouts.they need to sell those 3DSes too
brinstar
(03-11-2017, 07:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Sub Boss

They also have said their teams are working on both console and handheld games on the Switch so don't listen to every PR line Nintendl shouts.they need to sell those 3DSes too

Yeah, I can't see them having another line of games on shelves that are on cartridges and designed for a handheld that also... doesn't work on Switch? Like it wouldn't make sense.

At most I can see them releasing a different device more aimed at kids that still plays Switch games. But that would have to be down the line.
GinoFelino
(03-11-2017, 07:26 PM)
This thread as if Nintendo is the one that needs to innovate
DNAbro
(03-11-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by wildfire

This is half of what I expect. The other half is expecting other IPs to get a lot more attention.

From the Old
With the tighter focus I seriously expect a challenging Kirby's Dreamland with a more epic scope in stage variety and enemy encounters.

I would be very surprised if Steel Diver isn't their next big shooter because they clearly were headed in that direction.

What's new
I expect Nintendo to come out with the first iconic console RTS.

I expect them to come out with some bizarre but memorable new adventure series.

I expect them to come out with an RPG series that harkens back to how these games used to be flexible and real life party focused like DnD. It's not like DnD is dead but video game companies have by and large avoided trying to allow people to make quests dependent on the imagination of a GM and their friends reacting as best as they can to the scenario. It's very hard and potentially expensive for a videogame but it's a very rewarding experience.

Isn't that supposed to Pikmin?
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(03-11-2017, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

They're multiplayer games. They have their reasons to exist.

Are Mario kart, smash, etc. Not multiplayer games? Doeent ninten do have some of the most renowned multiplayer games around?
GearFourth
(03-20-2017, 10:06 PM)

Originally Posted by entremet

Since the N64, Nintendo has followed a very predicable formula for their 1st party IP.

One or two Zelda games
One or two 3D Mario
One or two 2D Mario (this started with DS to be fair)
One Mario Kart
One Smash Brothers
One golf game/One tennis game

Most of the games tend to be evergreen and we basically know we're getting getting. It's like a checkbox.

However, now with the Switch, those teams don't need to be spilt between two hardware platforms--portable and console.

Could that mean those teams could be freed up for more risky and new IP? To me this is one the more exciting things of Nintendo unifying their development to one platform.

They can alter this formula, which to be fair, has become stale. I do love MK, Smash, and 3D Mario, but imagine if those teams can now, after their done with those installments, work on newer IP? That's been one of the biggest criticism about Nintendo. Great development teams, but lack of new heavy hitting IP by their A-Teams.

Does the Switch's unified 1st party mean newer and risky IP from Nintendo?

Yeah i hope it goes this way.

Personally im sick of that formula you listed Nintendo keeps doing every gen but i guess it still works, still sells and no one seems to mind it.

I want less spinoffs of already established Nintendo IP's and more actual brand new IP's, not having to rely on lingering to characters etc from another Nintendo game :)
koss424
(03-20-2017, 10:10 PM)
Nintendo launched their new console with 1 2 Switch (and Zelda)
madstarr12
(03-20-2017, 10:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Yjynx

I simply wish to see GF made full 3D pokemon switch.

Lol, you're gonna probably get responses about how Sun/Moon are already full 3D and stuff.
notaskwid
(03-20-2017, 10:17 PM)
Not metroid.
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(03-20-2017, 10:19 PM)
Splatoon & ARMS bodes really well. Can't wait to see what else they got in store.
uncle_koploski
(03-20-2017, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

Probably not. Nintendo is a very conservative company.

Why do people think Nintendo is a conservative company? They are exact opposite of conservative. Conservative in terms of financials, sure. But in terms of game design, hardware design, and marketing approach? They are not conservative at all.
Leondexter
(03-20-2017, 10:23 PM)

Originally Posted by entremet

Since the N64, Nintendo has followed a very predicable formula for their 1st party IP.

One or two Zelda games
One or two 3D Mario
One or two 2D Mario (this started with DS to be fair)
One Mario Kart
One Smash Brothers
One golf game/One tennis game

Most of the games tend to be evergreen and we basically know we're getting getting. It's like a checkbox.

Since the N64? That's...not even close to accurate. They've done a ton of games outside that list.

Animal Crossing, Pikmin, ArtStyle stuff, Pushmo, lots of Wario stuff, Yoshi stuff, Donkey Kong stuff, Meteos, Polarium, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Mario RPG / Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Wii Sports, Fit, Music, and Play, a bunch of Kirby games, Captain Toad, Star Fox, Mario Party, Sin & Punishment, a bunch of Metroid games, Excite Bike / Truck / Bots, Mario Strikers...the list is insane.

Nintendo works outside their most popular few IPs all the time.

The only problem is, it's not enough to support 2 consoles in the relative lack of (good) 3rd party support. So yes, I hope that with all their studios on one console, and avoiding some duplication they've had in the past, the Switch lineup will shine both in quality and quantity.

But to level the accusation against Nintendo that they don't mix it up with their IPs is absolutely bonkers.
Mory Dunz
(03-20-2017, 10:24 PM)
This thread has so much wrong I don't even know where to start
DMONKUMA
(03-20-2017, 10:27 PM)
I want to see Nintendo make an action game/action rpg using their own studios. I think it would be very interesting if they can make it something that rivals stuff like Bayonetta or Monster Hunter.
Tavernacle12
(03-20-2017, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by GearFourth

Yeah i hope it goes this way.

Personally im sick of that formula you listed Nintendo keeps doing every gen but i guess it still works, still sells and no one seems to mind it.

I want less spinoffs of already established Nintendo IP's and more actual brand new IP's, not having to rely on lingering to characters etc from another Nintendo game :)

So you want a Nintendo system without a Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Sports, or Smash Bros game? Those are the series people buy Nintendo systems for, they're going to be on Nintendo systems, and Nintendo (Even on the Wii U) has always had an interesting mix of other games each generation, both new IP and old. The Switch already has ARMs and 1 2 Switch, there's zero reason to think Nintendo is done with new IP. It's not a one or the other thing.
kirbyfan407
(03-20-2017, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Chittagong

So do we think Mario Kart 8DX is the Switch one Mario Kart

Developer comments and the Switch controller design really makes me think Mario Kart 9 is going to release and it will have a "double dash" mode as one of its gimmicks. If it wouldn't have required tons of new kart designs, it would have made a great new feature for MK8D and pushed it to unquestionably being my favorite MK game.
zeexlash
(03-20-2017, 10:31 PM)
All well and good until one of those mainstays skips a generation, ie. metroid, then witness the backlash.
Dremorak
(03-20-2017, 10:35 PM)
You mean like Boxboy? Dillons rolling western? Pushmo? Rusty's real deal baseball? Hana Samurai? Splatoon? Nintendo makes new IP all the time.
TheMisterManGuy
(03-21-2017, 10:33 PM)
This is one of the things I've been looking forward to ever since the Switch was unveiled. They played in very safe on the Wii U and I've gotten sick of it. I want a bolder, louder, more experiment and weird Nintendo, now more than ever. And if ARMS, and 1-2 Switch are an indication, then we'll be seeing a lot more where those came from.

Originally Posted by Osakadon

I doubt it but I'd like to be proven wrong.
I expect even more than ever, made by comity, focus tested, maximized earnings titles than ever before. If their price gouging of accessories is anything to go by.

Ehh.. only the dock and charging grip are Bullshit. The Joy-Con pairs and Pro Controller are fine considering what you're getting for your $70-80. I don't think Nintendo is going to toss out their core values just for the sake of profit. They abide heavily by tradition, and making weird, offbeat stuff has always been in that tradition. The existence of 1-2 Switch proves that.