• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Leondexter
(03-15-2017, 12:16 AM)
Leondexter's Avatar
Alternate thread title: "OMG I didn't know that could happen".

This thread is for all the surprising little things you can do or see in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. For example, I'm sure we were all surprised the first time we saw lightning strike because of a metal weapon or shield.

I'll start: Once upon a time, I would climb apple trees to get every apple. I soon got tired of climbing for just one or two apples, so I started shooting them down with arrows, and then retrieve the arrows and the apples. But I stumbled upon a better way.

It turns out, if you have an Ice Rod, one swing near an apple tree will cause all the apples to fall. I just happened to be under one when I wanted to freeze an enemy. Now I try to keep an Ice Rod around all the time.

Post your stories! And gifs or videos, if you have them!
ryechu
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:17 AM)
ryechu's Avatar
Dropping chu chu jellys in freezing water turns them white. Chu chu jellys near fire will turn red. Near electricity will turn yellow. I mostly use red ones as fire starters since I dont like using flint or arrows.
DecoReturns
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:18 AM)
DecoReturns's Avatar
I had no food or elixirs for the cold weather, so I equipped my Fire Rod thinking "this won't work, but eh..."

It worked, just holding raised my body heat
Shaanyboi
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:18 AM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar
Climbing a waterfall by using your freeze ability
Milennia
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:19 AM)
Milennia's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryechu

Dropping chu chu jellys in freezing water turns them white. Chu chu jellys near fire will turn red. Near electricity will turn yellow. I mostly use red ones as fire starters since I dont like using flint or arrows.

ok holy shit
Mr-Joker
Other people suffering isn't my problem and I don't care about it.
(03-15-2017, 12:19 AM)
Mr-Joker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leondexter

Alternate thread title: "OMG I didn't know that could happen".

This thread is for all the surprising little things you can do or see in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. For example, I'm sure we were all surprised the first time we saw lightning strike because of a metal weapon or shield.

I'll start: Once upon a time, I would climb apple trees to get every apple. I soon got tired of climbing for just one or two apples, so I started shooting them down with arrows, and then retrieve the arrows and the apples. But I stumbled upon a better way.

It turns out, if you have an Ice Rod, one swing near an apple tree will cause all the apples to fall. I just happened to be under one when I wanted to freeze an enemy. Now I try to keep an Ice Rod around all the time.

Post your stories! And gifs or videos, if you have them!

Rune bombs are a better way as it doesn't use up your weapon durability and it knock the tree down as well, which you can blow up again to create fire wood.
James Scott
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:19 AM)
James Scott's Avatar
You can ride Bears, deer, and other wild life.
I hear you can tame Wolves and dogs (and that you can pet them) but I haven't figured out how
Nyoro SF
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:20 AM)
Nyoro SF's Avatar
Nice idea OP. May I mention that you don't need the Ice Rod to shake trees free of their apples? Just hitting them with a heavy weapon will do, like the hammer.

Originally Posted by James Scott

You can ride Bears, deer, and other wild life.
I hear you can tame Wolves and dogs (and that you can pet them) but I haven't figured out how

Same here, I would love to know how to tame wolves.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(03-15-2017, 12:20 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryechu

Dropping chu chu jellys in freezing water turns them white. Chu chu jellys near fire will turn red. Near electricity will turn yellow. I mostly use red ones as fire starters since I dont like using flint or arrows.

I killed a Chu Chu with a thunder sword and it dropped yellow (electricity) Chu Chu Jelly.
Jim_Cacher
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:20 AM)
Jim_Cacher's Avatar
Use Cryonsis to disintegrate ice cubes made by Waterblight Ganon
Marceles
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:20 AM)
Marceles's Avatar
The funniest "omg I didn't know you could do that" scene was in death mountain when the goron at the grill place said he never gets customers because people just drop their food on the ground and cook it themselves. I never thought about doing that until then
Shaanyboi
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

I had no food or elixirs for the cold weather, so I equipped my Fire Rod thinking "this won't work, but eh..."

It worked, just holding raised my body heat

Yooo
KZXcellent
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)
KZXcellent's Avatar
You can grab a boulder and knock over rusted Guardians and get materials under them.

You don't need to chop down trees with a weapon, just use a bomb.
James Scott
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:21 AM)
James Scott's Avatar
You can kill ChuChus with your arrows and get specialized jelly. If you need to grind them just find large blue ones and use specific arrows
Astorgh
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:22 AM)
Astorgh's Avatar
You can call your horse, start running, let your horse reach you while running and hop on the horse without losing momentum.
mavo
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:22 AM)
mavo's Avatar
I was walking through the gerudo desert about to have a heat stroke, so i looked for cover in the shadows created by some cliff and it worked.

Originally Posted by James Scott

You can kill ChuChus with your arrows and get specialized jelly. If you need to grind them just find large blue ones and use specific arrows


You dont need to hunt them, just drop your blue jellies and apply the element you want them to be.
Leondexter
(03-15-2017, 12:23 AM)
Leondexter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jarmel

I killed a Chu Chu with a thunder sword and it dropped yellow (electricity) Chu Chu Jelly.

I did the same. It works with fire or ice weapons, too; they'll drop red or white jelly, no matter what type of Chu Chu.
speiky
Junior Member
(03-15-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by KZXcellent

You can grab a boulder and knock over rusted Guardians and get materials under them.

You don't need to chop down trees with a weapon, just use a bomb.

More than the usual once piece you find?
If so; :O
lastplayed
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:25 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Astorgh

You can call your horse, start running, let your horse reach you while running and hop on the horse without losing momentum.

I basically feel like this when hopping on the horse while its running.

effingvic
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:26 AM)
effingvic's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryechu

Dropping chu chu jellys in freezing water turns them white. Chu chu jellys near fire will turn red. Near electricity will turn yellow. I mostly use red ones as fire starters since I dont like using flint or arrows.

What

I actually have use for my chuchu jellies now!?
lastplayed
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:28 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar

Originally Posted by effingvic

What

I actually have use for my chuchu jellies now!?

Hitting red jelly can start fires!
muu
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Jim_Cacher

Use Cryonsis to disintegrate ice cubes made by Waterblight Ganon

I feel like an idiot now for shooting them down with arrows
AaronMT86
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:31 AM)
AaronMT86's Avatar
I had no idea that you can strike wood to create fires. Fires create updrafts for you to float.
Parapraxis
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:34 AM)
Parapraxis's Avatar
<= Shield quick menu to equip new one if broke
=> Sword quick menu to equip new one if broke
ZR then => Bow quick menu to equip new one if broke

Some people do not know that last one.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(03-15-2017, 12:36 AM)
Enduin's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryechu

Dropping chu chu jellys in freezing water turns them white. Chu chu jellys near fire will turn red. Near electricity will turn yellow. I mostly use red ones as fire starters since I dont like using flint or arrows.

Yeah I just recently learned after like 90 hours if you kill Blue Chu Chus with the associated element they will drop jellies of that element.

Another thing I learned more recently is that if you hold something like a Meteor, Fire Rod or Flame Arrow next to a block of ice it will melt it. Haven't tested flame swords, but I assume the same would apply. It's slow going, but it works if you don't want to waste your Rods or Fire Arrows.
Last edited by Enduin; 03-15-2017 at 12:38 AM.
jrush64
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:36 AM)
jrush64's Avatar
I killed a moose in Hebra and the meat automatically turned into icy meat ready for eating. Of course keeping the flame sword on your back helps keep temp down.
Palette Swap
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:37 AM)
Palette Swap's Avatar

Originally Posted by muu

I feel like an idiot now for shooting them down with arrows

Same here.
We just went through that and I wasn't satisfied at all that I had to use consumables, that felt like a sloppy solution, but I couldn't think of an elegant one.

Damn.
Magikoopa24
Junior Member
(03-15-2017, 12:40 AM)
Hitting enemies with metal objects hurts them, even knocking them over. But unwieldy, but fun.

Also, you can drop bombs while gliding- helped end a camp with that, and I felt like hot shit.
lastplayed
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:40 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar
If you hang around the dog at Twin Peak Stables he'll eventually give you the love heart thing, also you can feed him raw meat, although I'm not sure if there's any point...
Kyzon
Banned
(03-15-2017, 12:40 AM)
You can cut legs off guardians and if you tip them over they instantly die
Leondexter
(03-15-2017, 12:41 AM)
Leondexter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parapraxis

<= Shield quick menu to equip new one if broke
=> Sword quick menu to equip new one if broke
ZR then => Bow quick menu to equip new one if broke

Some people do not know that last one.

I sure didn't. ZR after a bow is broken just makes Link shrug. I'll have to try this!

Oh, yeah, I found out last night that Lizalfos arms are boomerangs!
Skittzo0413
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:41 AM)
Skittzo0413's Avatar
1. Start three or more campfires in close proximity to create an updraft

2. If you're on a raft in a windy area but it's grounded, create an ice block underneath the shore side to push it into the water, then let it sail. If you don't have a korok leaf of course.

3. Attach octorok balloons to a tree trunk and then climb onto the side as it floats away.
Last edited by Skittzo0413; 03-15-2017 at 12:45 AM.
AaronMT86
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:42 AM)
AaronMT86's Avatar

Originally Posted by lastplayed

If you hang around the dog at Twin Peak Stables he'll eventually give you the love heart thing, also you can feed him raw meat, although I'm not sure if there's any point...

some dogs will lead you to buried chests
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(03-15-2017, 12:42 AM)
Feep's Avatar
If you grab some honeycomb, and the bees start chasing you, pathing them over any sort of open flame (with smoke) will instantly incapacitate the bees.

"Smoking out" bees is done in real life to immobilize bees when extracting honey.
Last edited by Feep; 03-15-2017 at 03:00 AM.
steadfast
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:42 AM)
steadfast's Avatar
The physics in this game are great, but a little wonky. You can exploit physics in a couple of shrines.

Off the top of my head, the swinging balls on chains can be wrapped around the beams that hang them using magnesis so you can completely bypass the goal of the swinging gauntlet of many balls.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.
Last edited by steadfast; 03-15-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Kain-Nosgoth
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:42 AM)
Kain-Nosgoth's Avatar
you can reflect guardian's laser to them with the parry!
jph139
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:44 AM)
jph139's Avatar
Saw a Lynel way far below. Slowly glided down to attack him from above. Dropped down for an heavy attack from above and to my surprise...

You can ride Lynels. (For a little bit.)
OverturePT
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:45 AM)
OverturePT's Avatar

Originally Posted by steadfast

The physics in this game are great, but a little wonky. You can exploit physics in a couple of shrines.

Off the top of my head, the swinging balls on chains can be wrapped around the beams that hang them so you can completely bypass the goal of the swinging gauntlet of many balls.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

I did those two things on my first tries and I felt like they thought about it, not that the physics were "wonky".
Jonneh3003
Junior Member
(03-15-2017, 12:45 AM)
Jonneh3003's Avatar
So how do you pet dogs?
Leondexter
(03-15-2017, 12:45 AM)
Leondexter's Avatar

Originally Posted by jph139

Saw a Lynel way far below. Slowly glided down to attack him from above. Dropped down for an heavy attack from above and to my surprise...

You can ride Lynels. (For a little bit.)

Yeah, I did that, too, but in my case I got behind him just by happenstance. Quite a shock!
DecoReturns
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:46 AM)
DecoReturns's Avatar

Originally Posted by steadfast

The physics in this game are great, but a little wonky. You can exploit physics in a couple of shrines.

Off the top of my head, the swinging balls on chains can be wrapped around the beams that hang them so you can completely bypass the goal of the swinging gauntlet of many balls.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

The game encourages finding different solutions to the puzzles. I wouldn't called your solution wonkey, more like rewarding the player for finding a easier solution. Plus I did the same thing in that dungeon.
Parapraxis
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:50 AM)
Parapraxis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leondexter

I sure didn't. ZR after a bow is broken just makes Link shrug. I'll have to try this!

Oh, yeah, I found out last night that Lizalfos arms are boomerangs!

yup, hit the => during that animation (or both at the same time to avoid the animation all together)

Another tip (?) A lot of enemies can be staggered or knocked over with the leaf.
Last edited by Parapraxis; 03-15-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Leondexter
(03-15-2017, 12:51 AM)
Leondexter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parapraxis

yup, hit the => during that animation (or both at the same time to avoid the animation all together)

That's great! Was probably my biggest complaint about the whole UI (I still think bows should just be down on the d-pad).
muu
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Leondexter

That's great! Was probably my biggest complaint about the whole UI (I still think bows should just be down on the d-pad).

soon as you hold ZR the shortcut image on the top left goes from Shield/Sword to Arrow/Bow. Took me a while to notice since usually you're already focused on the center of the screen when you take aim.
ksamedi
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:53 AM)
ksamedi's Avatar
Throwing a rusty weapon into a those baloon enemies (forgot their name) will net you a new weapon. They will chew on it and spit them out brand new. You can also repair damaged weapons that way.
Last edited by ksamedi; 03-15-2017 at 02:23 AM.
ridley182
aka Mister Chef
(03-15-2017, 12:54 AM)
ridley182's Avatar
First page and my mind has already been blown twice.

One of the things I found out on my own (but which really isn't that secret I guess) is the dog that will lead you to treasure if you get him to love you enough. Maybe all dogs do, idk yet.
Last edited by ridley182; 03-15-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Parapraxis
Member
(03-15-2017, 12:56 AM)
Parapraxis's Avatar

Originally Posted by ksamedi

Throwing a rusty weapon into a those baloon enemies (forgot there name) will net you a new weapon. They will chew on it and spit them out brand new. You can also repair damaged weapons that way.

nice!
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(03-15-2017, 12:58 AM)
Man God's Avatar
You can cross any body of water with ice pillars, all the way to the edge of the map.

I did this before I realized how to use rafts to get a ton of places very slowly!

Hylian Shield only seems invincible and will break after about 40 guardian beams.
Spinifex
Member
(03-15-2017, 01:01 AM)
Spinifex's Avatar
Using shock arrows in the rain is super effective.

Using magnesis to place a metallic object during a storm and one-shotting enemies with lightning.
Dark Ninja
Member
(03-15-2017, 01:02 AM)
Dark Ninja's Avatar
Shrine Stuff

-One shrine has a maze with a ball and involves motion controls. Its somewhat annoying so i was just messing around and found out you could flip the entire maze. The back part was flat and could be used to easily solve this shrine

-Another similar shrine later on tried the same tactic. When i flipped the maze this time it was full of spikes. I just laughed.

-Carry Fire Arrows and Ice Arrows some shrines you can skip entire puzzles with them. Usually the one's involving burning shrubs and that rotating cube with water coming out of it.

-Feeding your Horse Hasty Carrots gives them extra boost to use

Thread Tools