• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Serra
(03-18-2017, 10:08 AM)
I liked it at the time.

I really liked the combat, on the higher difficulties (on the PC ONLY! console version is trash).
The plot and characters... meh. Bioware has really gotten worse on the writing front during the years imo. And the marketing for this game was amazingly terrible also.

The best part of that game was your protagonist totally covered in blood during dialog.
Darkstorne
(03-18-2017, 10:10 AM)

Originally Posted by MattKeil

I feel the opposite. It was archaic in every sense when it was released, very obviously was originally built in the Aurora Engine, has a completely generic and forgettable story, only one or two worthwhile characters, and overall it has aged like milk. I will never, ever understand the praise it gets.

Agreed. I play RPGs for a great over-arching story, and DA:O's main story was as simple as "Blight emerges, rookie Grey Warden raises an army to fight the Blight, wins, the end." Absolutely zero plot twists (outside of Ostagar right at the start, but who didn't see that coming from Evil-Faced McEvil Dude?), or even plot development. All the quality writing, as per usual in a Bioware game, came from character development, 90% of which involved stories that had nothing to do with the main plot and were just side quests and side stories.

What's even worse is the main story would have lasted... maybe 10 hours if I'm being generous? So the game itself is padded with coincidental nonsense side-stories that yet again have no connection to the main plot asides from the treaties requiring the Warden to be in the area while they happen: There's a Blight on you say? Sure but COINCIDENTALLY Redcliff happens to be under siege from an undead army that could easily multiply and consume all of Thedas, let alone Ferelden; The Circle Tower has been occupied by blood mages and abominations which the entire standing army of Templars trained specifically for this very event is too afraid to deal with, but which you and a mere three other companions (you'll leave the rest toasting marshmallows around a camp fire because... reasons) can probably handle despite being brand new to this job; The Elves of the forests are consumed by a werewolf curse that threatens to drive their entire tribe to extinction; and the Dwarves of Ironfor... Orzimmar are engaged in civil war over the election of a new king. There's an arena that both kings claim is practically sacred to their people, that "proves" who the honourable and rightful warrior is by their victory in the trials of combat, but you're absolutely not allowed to select an obvious dialogue response of having the two potential kings duke it out in there so the winner earns the trust of almost everyone, and the few dwarves who still support the other dude... well their guy is dead anyway. Nope, that wouldn't pad the game out enough, so you have to fight in there as one of the king's champions of course. Then you have to search the Deep Roads for a long list living god. Then you find her and have to search even deeper for an even longer lost ancient artifact of untold power. Right. If the Warden had refused to do his/her job, then by the time the Blight finally left Lothering there'd be nothing left for them to destroy. Ferelden would have been swarming with undead, abominations, and werewolves. They would have gazed across the carnage, shrugged their shoulders, and climbed back down into the Deep Roads voluntarily. The Blight wasn't the threat after all: the coincidental side-quest filler was.

Tldr: DA:O's story is a shitheap of generic fantasy tropes that is riddled with coincidental padding that's completely unrelated to the main plot, because Bioware have always sucked at writing anything other than character stories. And DA:O is probably the worst main story they've ever written. Handed to a novel publisher this plot would have had the author laughed out the back door. I swear when people praise Bioware stories they mean to praise character writing instead. Any brief analysis of almost any Bioware story makes it collapse. Ironically it's one of the few things DA2 got right - a main story that develops alongside the characters and which side quests all support and reinforce. It may not have been thrilling, but at least it was competent for a change.
Omotesando
(03-18-2017, 10:10 AM)
Couldn't get over the shitty gameplay. Hope Andromeda has done that better.
Jacobson
(03-18-2017, 10:11 AM)

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Man if people hate Mass Effect animations, DAO's is so much worse, especially combat lacking impact.

by mass effect you mean andromeda? why would you compare a 2009 game to a 2017 game?
B-B-Bomba!
(03-18-2017, 10:20 AM)
I should really carry on with this game, I was really enjoying it but got overtaken by other things. I thought the setting was interesting, sort of 'Lord of the Rings goes to Hell'. I was kind of blown away playing an extended sequence in that shadow realm or whatever it was called, just really good gameplay and design, really fun and engaging. I appreciate the writing and humour, although it took a while to grow on me. And I was constantly delighted by my choice of calling my Mabari War Hound 'Plop'. Was grinning from ear to ear whenever he was around.

Something else that really stood out was the sheer number of enemies you could be engaging at once. In one side mission I took out a pack of wolves, it felt like there were several dozen of them. I've never really seen that in an RPG before.

The one blight was the PC version burning through my CPU cores. I could only play the game at all by limiting the process onto a single core, then switching core every 30 minutes or so (laptop). Fucking ridiculous.
Brakke
(03-18-2017, 10:26 AM)
The "story" is rote. You unite the disparate peoples of the land against the Ur Evil. It's a dang Zelda story. I enjoyed several of the episodes individually but the game really struggles to hold itself together, I had no interest in the driving conflict against the helldragonmonster.
Harmen
(03-18-2017, 10:26 AM)
I really like it but it also has some really tedious aspects. And I think it lacks the sense of adventure I had in KOTOR, ME, and other RPG favourites for some reason, cannot pinpoint why. Maybe because of the plot structure or something. Anyways I'd still recommend it to people with ease.
kromeo
(03-18-2017, 10:27 AM)
I thought the way you went through equipment tiers was a bit generic and none of it looked particularly interesting either, in the main game at least. Really enjoyed it apart from that

Compared to mass effect I thought it had a worse main story but better side quests
The Hamburglar
(03-18-2017, 10:28 AM)
I always thought the main quest was crap and short. Basically visit 3 locations. Never winter nights was miles better.
DevilDog
Played it a few months ago for the first time.
  • Liked the gameplay
  • Liked the world
  • Liked the characters
  • Story wasn't that hype, but certain individual missions were fantastic (werewolves&elves)

Also players who say "this was the last bioware game" make me fucking cringe.
Oh yeah, also fuck that memory leak thing.
Last edited by DevilDog; 03-18-2017 at 10:30 AM.
sehui
IMO the strongest bioware companions (Allistair, Morrigan, Leliana, Wynn.. they are all amazing)
tuna_love
(03-18-2017, 10:29 AM)

Originally Posted by DevilDog

Played it a few months ago for the first time.

Liked the gameplay

Liked the world

Liked the characters

Story wasn't that hype, but certain individual missions were fantastic (werewolves&elves)

Also players who say "this was the last bioware game" make me fucking cringe.

just the last good one
morrigan is the best companion ever
nelsonroyale
(03-18-2017, 10:30 AM)

Originally Posted by jb1234

I liked the characters and story a lot. I regret playing it on console because I hear the combat is much better on PC.

I only played the game on PC, but the combat was reasonably strategic, and had a pretty high difficulty curve, but was also very, very slow.
Drillary Clinton
(03-18-2017, 10:31 AM)
I really like DA:O, but I feel like the story was very generic dark fantasy and the only characters worth a damn were Leliana and Alastair. The DLCs were absolute trash to me other than Leliana's song from a story standpoint. I'm probably in the minority here, especially GAF, but Inquisition is a better game. I do miss how strategic the combat was compared to OrigIns tho, even if I like the combat on DA:I. For all it's hate, DAII has the best combat of the series.
Last edited by Drillary Clinton; 03-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Herr Schwarz
(03-18-2017, 10:31 AM)
Great game. Dunno why they kept saying it's like BG when it's a lot more like NWN.

I appreciated that you could have all your companion cut scene dialogue moments in the game world as opposed to the camps in later editions.

It's a dang shame the direction they went in after DA:O. One can only wonder what a newew updated DA:O style game would look like with sexier graphics etc .
darkwing-buck
(03-18-2017, 10:32 AM)
Yeah it's seriously great. Fuck the fade though. Hate that fucking sequence.
Steez
(03-18-2017, 10:34 AM)
Some might say it's the last good Bioware RPG.

Originally Posted by darkwing-buck

Yeah it's seriously great. Fuck the fade though. Hate that fucking sequence.

And the Deep Roads.
BouncyFrag
(03-18-2017, 10:35 AM)
One of my favorite games. Hearing the camp theme will always remind me how much the game means to me and is reflected by others in the comment section:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXNvDzlXqSA
Last edited by BouncyFrag; 03-18-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Zushin
(03-18-2017, 10:38 AM)
Yeah I love it. Think I'm only missing one achievement on the PC version. Like to go back and play though it occasionally. I've tried getting into DA:I to see what happens with Morrigan but just can't do it :(
Big Nikus
(03-18-2017, 10:42 AM)
I loved Dragon Age Origins and I still like BioWare a lot and I enjoy their most recent games (yeah, DA:I and what I've played of Andromeda).
BashNasty
(03-18-2017, 10:43 AM)
It's crazy, I played 44 hours of this game when it released (according to some counter, probably Steam's... this game was released on Steam, right?), but I can't remember a thing about it. I remember I stopped during some mine section, but that's about it.

I'm not trying to say that Dragons Age: Orgins was a bad game, because if it was I wouldn't have played it for 44 hours, but it's crazy that I remember nothing about a game I played for such a long time.
Wesley-Sigma
(03-18-2017, 10:45 AM)
The first Dragon Age (the only one I ever bothered to engage with) was the most boring game I have ever engaged with.

I generally dislike RPGs, however.
ISee
(03-18-2017, 10:45 AM)
It is the best out of the three. I'd even say it is one of the best Bioware rpgs out there.
dh4niel
(03-18-2017, 10:46 AM)

I feel the opposite. It was archaic in every sense when it was released, very obviously was originally built in the Aurora Engine, has a completely generic and forgettable story, only one or two worthwhile characters, and overall it has aged like milk. I will never, ever understand the praise it gets.

Yep. When I first played it the whole thing never really grabbed me. I want to give it another chance as I want to play Inquisition but I'm not looking forward to it.
OG Shaka Zulu
(03-18-2017, 10:48 AM)
The game holds up IMO. The variety in spells, strategy, technique, customability in the game had me hooked. I did a second play through last year and will start the expansion pack soon.
Phinor
(03-18-2017, 10:53 AM)

Man if people hate Mass Effect animations, DAO's is so much worse, especially combat lacking impact.

I prefer DA:O animations over ME:A. For the type of game DA:O is, the animations are good enough and never take you out of the game, while ME:A is going for a more cinematic approach and the horrible animations ruin the illusion every ten seconds or so. My stupid (default) Ryder is actually grinning and vaguely smiling in just about every scene, including when people around her die.

Then again I prefer just about everything in DA:O over ME:A, including the combat. DA:O has the best combat in any Bioware game between its release and now but having said that, the combat isn't actually that great, it's just that Bioware has done even worse ever since.
PerfectFlaw
(03-18-2017, 10:56 AM)
It had a lot of flaws, but I loved the characters and their stories so much that it will go down as one of my favorite games. Compared to a game like Inquisition where all of your companions are insufferable, it's a game that easy to love.
nacimento
(03-18-2017, 11:00 AM)
Bioware's masterpiece, one of the best RPG's ever and last gen's best game. Played through it some 4 times.
Rad-
Sauna? Penis.
Doorknob? Penis.
School? Penis.
Date night? Penis.
(03-18-2017, 11:00 AM)
Yep it was really good on PC. The console versions were quite subpar though. It and Mass Effect 2 are the last two great Bioware games.
BouncyFrag
(03-18-2017, 11:02 AM)
Enchantment?
Rellik
(03-18-2017, 11:04 AM)

Originally Posted by BouncyFrag

Enchantment?

Enchantment!
HellofaMouse
(03-18-2017, 11:21 AM)
best game bioware ever made along with mass effect 1 imo
Yautja_Warrior
(03-18-2017, 11:57 AM)
DA:O is one of my favourite RPG's, shame the sequels didn't live up to this awesome game.

I remember getting DA2 and was a massively disappointed, going into it right after Origins. Maybe it was the repetitive and dull city environment they set the game in, compared to the varied settings of Origins but DA2 never really clicked with me.

DA:I was a better game than DA2 for me but it still wasn't a patch on Origins.
Imp the Dimp
(03-18-2017, 11:58 AM)
Glad you enjoy it. I was hugely let down in 2009 because the game was advertised as a spiritual successor to BG2 and felt like developed by some second rate team who enoyed BG2 back then.
toddhunter
(03-18-2017, 12:28 PM)

I think you will find that animation is only really a big issue when the rest of the game is garbage as well.

Originally Posted by Imp the Dimp

Glad you enjoy it. I was hugely let down in 2009 because the game was advertised as a spiritual successor to BG2 and felt like developed by some second rate team who enoyed BG2 back then.

I don't understand how you could have been let down. Yes it was developed by some second rate team who enoyed BG2 back then. However this was still a huge step forward compared to the other crpg crap of the time.
Imp the Dimp
(03-18-2017, 12:30 PM)

Originally Posted by toddhunter

I don't understand how you could have been let down. Yes it was developed by some second rate team who enoyed BG2 back then. However this was still a huge step forward compared to the other crpg crap of the time.

Other CRPG crap was not my standard I guess. I expected something like BG2 and didn't really get a game on that level.
JareBear
(03-18-2017, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Superkewl

Yeah, DA:O was the last good game Bioware released.

Miss old Bioware :-(

Edit

My bad I goofed up
Johannsson
(03-18-2017, 12:36 PM)
i liked the characters and story a lot.
Carl7
I miss it a lot. Only PoE came close to being as good in the recent years.
toddhunter

Originally Posted by Imp the Dimp

Other CRPG crap was not my standard I guess. I expected something like BG2 and didn't really get a game on that level.

No but it was a big step in the right direction. What followed was two giant leaps back the wrong way.

So I agree it wasn't BG2, but it was a start and should be appreciated for that...unfortunately it was also the end.
Last edited by toddhunter; 03-18-2017 at 12:40 PM.
THEaaron
(03-18-2017, 12:41 PM)
Ah my most loved Bioware game.

Combat system was to my liking and the encounters were pretty good designed.

In a time where you could actually play with the dialogues in the game. Instead of choosing a predefined and very simplistic reaction out of 3 or 4 options, you had to know what your dialogue partner was thinking about that. You could never get Wynne because you are not sharing her morale values.

Some parts got pretty lengthy but, for myself, it makes absolutely everything better than its sequels.

Played it for about 3 times with a playtime of ~40hours in each run, was struggling hard through DA2 and never finished DA:I after 70hours.
acheron_xl
(03-18-2017, 12:42 PM)
Played DA:O for about 90 hours and had a blast. Actually got halfway into a second playthrough, which I never do.

Played and beat DA2, and it was... playable.

Played about 30-40 hours of DA:I, and I'm never touching another Bioware game again.
Lucumo
(03-18-2017, 12:44 PM)
"Do you want to become a Grey Warden?"
"No"
"No"
"You need to become a Great Warden!"
"No!"
"Congratulations on becoming a Great Warden"

Screw you. BS game.
Lanrutcon
(03-18-2017, 12:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Lucumo

"No"
"No"
"You need to become a Great Warden!"
"No!"
"Congratulations on becoming a Great Warden"

Screw you. BS game.

"Do you want to become a Pathfinder?"
"No"
etc etc
bati
(03-18-2017, 12:54 PM)

Damn. Like someone pulled the thoughts from my head and put them on the screen. I did and still do understand the praise the game got when it was released because at the time we were just coming out of a very serious RPG drought but I just can't understand the praise it gets from people who say it's still one of the best rpgs today.

I'd add to that that the whole Dragon Age setting is incredibly uninspired and comes off very generic - fantasy 101. Wardens were a really nice touch (especially the badass way they choose to go out) but everything else was crushingly soulless. It doesn't help that the franchise lacks a clear direction, every sequel had dramatic changes in its structure and prevalence of MMO elements only made things worse in the end.
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(03-18-2017, 01:11 PM)
I'm still angry how they went from awesome (DA:O) to awful (DA2) to annoying (DAI). This could have become such a great series. Thank god for kickstarter.
Carlius
(03-18-2017, 01:25 PM)
i have a copy installed in my jobs shitty quadcore and it works like a charm. I fire it up once in a while while th eboss is not at the office. so much fun.my favorite dragon age by far and one of my favorite games ever. also, that launch trailer with 30 seconds to mars was great.
AkelisRain
(03-18-2017, 01:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

I'm still angry how they went from awesome (DA:O) to awful (DA2) to annoying (DAI). This could have become such a great series. Thank god for kickstarter.

What game are you referring to on Kickstarter?
Fantastapotamus
Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
(03-18-2017, 01:34 PM)

Originally Posted by AkelisRain

What game are you referring to on Kickstarter?

Divinity Original Sin, Shadow Run, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera so far.
AkelisRain
(03-18-2017, 01:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

Divinity Original Sin, Shadow Run, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera so far.

Ah, I thought I was missing something new. Buy yes, amazing games. Never played Shadow Run or Tides though. I need to correct that.