• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tecl0n
(03-18-2017, 01:38 PM)
i fuckin' love it.
selfnoise
(03-18-2017, 01:47 PM)
I love the Dragon Age universe but I had the same problem with this game as with so many other isometric RPGs with similar systems: giving a character a command regularly results in them not doing at all what you intended, whether its walking around the entire combat field, or mysteriously waiting 30 seconds to cast a spell you needed right away, or whatever.

The game has so many unfixed issues inherited from the KOTOR games that after playing both of those I just couldn't stomach wrestling with my idiot party members any more.
Alienfan
(03-18-2017, 01:48 PM)
I couldn't get past the awful controls on the 360 back when it came out, maybe I should give it another shot on the PC
Malio
(03-18-2017, 01:50 PM)
It was terrific, I loved just about everything about it. And the DLC was really good as well!
Kimaka
(03-18-2017, 01:51 PM)
I fucking loved Dragon Age: Origins. Why did this series have to turn into a test bed for so many awful ideas? After Origins, I hoped Bioware would improve on its flaws and make a better version. Now I wish just one of their games could match it.
Imp the Dimp
(03-18-2017, 01:54 PM)

Originally Posted by toddhunter

No but it was a big step in the right direction. What followed was two giant leaps back the wrong way.

So I agree it wasn't BG2, but it was a start and should be appreciated for that...unfortunately it was also the end.

Well to be fair, I played the game on day 1 and it had big balance issues. Random groups of orcs could massacre your crew while story related fights were easy in comparison. I doubt the game would have clicked with me anyway because I didn't really feel entertained, but as far as I understood, it got quite a bit better a few months later. I finished it pretty fast too so I really got to play the worst iteration.

I still have nightmares of that dwarven underground cave. Took forever and everything looked the same. Not sure if they did something about that. Or that dreamland zzzz...
zon
(03-18-2017, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by MattKeil

I feel the opposite. It was archaic in every sense when it was released, very obviously was originally built in the Aurora Engine, has a completely generic and forgettable story, only one or two worthwhile characters, and overall it has aged like milk. I will never, ever understand the praise it gets.

I completely agree. I didn't even finish it because of how bland it was.

Knights of the Old Republic was the last decent game Bioware made.
joeblow
(03-18-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by sehui

IMO the strongest bioware companions (Allistair, Morrigan, Leliana, Wynn.. they are all amazing)

That right there. They were, indeed, amazing, along with the animatron companion Shale in the DLC mission.

My two favorite RPGs are Star Wars: KotOR and Dragon's Age Origins. Enjoyable companions is a main reason why. I played th latter at the perfect time in that I hadn't played Baldur's Gate to compare, and I did so on PC teo years after release. That allowed me to enjoy it with mods that made it look absolutely stunning for the time.

Never played the DA sequels due to the bad comparisons they had to the first one ( I loved the tactical camera, for instance). ME:A will be skipped too since I simply do not like how the characters look. I thought the modded DA:O look of the characters would be standard in Bioware titles by now.
Last edited by joeblow; 03-18-2017 at 02:03 PM.
texhnolyze
(03-18-2017, 02:07 PM)
It is. I still replay it almost every year.
Riesenfass
(03-18-2017, 02:12 PM)
I played it about a year or so after release, according to Steam I have a 32 hours in. All I remember is the sloth demon section completely killed any momentum it had, and shortly after I got past it I realized I was bored to tears with it and stopped.

The world was interesting but I did not feel any connection to the characters and the overall plot was fairly generic.

I'm glad people enjoy it but it was not for me.
Lister
(03-18-2017, 02:12 PM)
When it was announced I was still playing neverwinter nights and remember being super excited.

I thought: wow! I wonder what a modern AAA Baldur's Gate would look like?

The answer we got was to a slightly different question: what would a modern kinda AAA Baldur's Gate look like, if it also had to run on a console?

Given that most of the development had been done with pc as the lead platform, the answer was actually pretty fucking amazing. Great tactical set piece combat, if a bit slow, great side narratives with an ok lead plot that, to be fair, had a lot to do in terms of setting up an entirely new rpg universe. Some decent narrative agency. It was a really good rpg. Some flaws in there too, but a great start. It could only get better from here, I thought.

Then someone hit "X" and something awful happened....
Last edited by Lister; 03-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Composer
(03-18-2017, 02:17 PM)
Hands down my most favorite RPG. I spent hours tweaking builds and figuring out cryptic quests. It was a wonderful meld of old and new RPG gameplay.

For people thinking it's a generic bland mess. Try it again. I thought the same but once you get past the initial few hours, the game really stars to click. It's truly a masterpiece. Unfortunately, the Dragon Age series has never hit the same highs again.
Darkstorne
(03-18-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Lanrutcon

"Do you want to become a Pathfinder?"
"No"
etc etc

"Do you want to become Dragonborn?"
"No."
"Okay!"

It's a story thing, I know. But I really would love to see Bioware attempt a truly open world game one day in one of their universes, as a spin-off. It's weird how Bethesda still has no true direct competition despite the insane popularity of their game design over three console generations now. You'd think someone from EA/Acti/Ubi would want a slice of that.
120v
(03-18-2017, 02:45 PM)
i somehow missed the boat on DA. would like to start with Inquisition since the first is so old (or DA2, lol) but i don't want to start the series with a bad taste in my mouth. maybe when my backlog lightens i'll give the first game a shot
RalchAC
(03-18-2017, 02:49 PM)
When I played it on PS3 I couldn't help but wish I could play it as a isometic RPG instead, with a keyboard and a mouse. It felt really clunky after having played newer games that were made from the very beginning with an over the shoulders camera perspective.

I should give it a try now that my laptop has been repaired. I think I got it for free on Origin a while ago and it should run without issue...
Lister
(03-18-2017, 02:50 PM)

Originally Posted by RalchAC

When I played it on PS3 I couldn't help but wish I could play it as a isometic RPG instead, with a keyboard and a mouse. It felt really clunky after having played newer games that were made from the very beginning with an over the shoulders camera perspective.

I should give it a try now that my laptop has been repaired. I think I got it for free on Origin a while ago and it should run without issue...

Do it with mods.
Qassim
(03-18-2017, 02:54 PM)
The game played much better on PC and it was a huge reason why I liked it so much. It's not that in itself the combat was some big achievement in the genre, it wasn't, but it was good and in a big budget game like DA:O - it was a style of game we hadn't seen for a while.

DA2 and DA:I were major, major let downs coming from what it felt like to play DA:O.
dark_chris
(03-18-2017, 02:55 PM)
Loved this game alot!
Artdayne
(03-18-2017, 02:55 PM)
This game is really good. In my opinion it's the best Bioware game since KOTOR. I loved the Landsmeet and the Dragon fights were well done. There's just a lot to dig into with this game and it wasn't a game that I liked at first, it was an acquired taste but I'm glad I gave it more of a chance. BTW, the dwarven noble origin story is the best.
Jigorath
(03-18-2017, 03:00 PM)
It wasn't very good, but funnily enough the Dragon Age games only got worse after that.
RDreamer
Banned
(03-18-2017, 03:02 PM)
Absolutely love DA: O. I played the damned thing three times through right in a row to see all the different choices. That plus I played all the different origin stories.
Mozendo
(03-18-2017, 03:03 PM)
I first played it earlier this year, while I'm not a huge fan of the wave-based enemy encounters I adored everything else about it.
Anyone have some recommendations aside from possibly FF12?
Nikodemos
(03-18-2017, 03:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Jigorath

It wasn't very good, but funnily enough the Dragon Age games only got worse after that.

Modern Bioware in a nutshell.
Last edited by Nikodemos; 03-18-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Count of Monte Sawed-Off
[email protected]$$y
(03-18-2017, 03:14 PM)
I still really like DAO. Once they started releasing info on the game it was clear it wasn't going to be a new Baldur's Gate, but it was still great for what it was.

The dwarf commoner is the best origin no one played. That and the human noble were my preferred.
T.Slothrop
(03-18-2017, 03:21 PM)
Origins is pretty damn good! Maybe not a stone cold classic, but given the price, it's well worth playing.
Last edited by T.Slothrop; 03-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
RalchAC
(03-18-2017, 03:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Lister

Do it with mods.

Are there any must have mods that I should be aware of before further tweaking it to my tastes?
draetenth
(03-18-2017, 03:25 PM)

Originally Posted by MattKeil

I feel the opposite. It was archaic in every sense when it was released, very obviously was originally built in the Aurora Engine, has a completely generic and forgettable story, only one or two worthwhile characters, and overall it has aged like milk. I will never, ever understand the praise it gets.

^ Pretty much my thoughts. Loved the IE games, love the new RPGs (PoE, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun etc.), didn't care for DA:O. I liked Mass Effect 1 & 2 so I don't think it's a Bioware thing that made me not like the game.
Netherscourge
I am very insecure about the visual capabilities of the PS4
(03-18-2017, 03:26 PM)
I thought it had a fantastic story and I love the way the characters all had personalities that changed as you played along side them. The rude comments and all that stuff.

I do wish it was a little more Open World style though.
Grettir_the_Swole
(03-18-2017, 03:29 PM)
I thought it was pretty damn good. I thought the way Bioware handled mages in the storyline was pretty unique and realistic if you consider the general public's reaction to a group of people who can summon consolidated fire tornadoes on a whim.
I always thought aesthetically and story-wise, the Dwarven colony was the high point of the story arc.
animlboogy
(03-18-2017, 03:34 PM)
If you're going to go back to an old Bioware game, Baldur's Gate 2 is leagues better than anything else they've done. DA:O is decent but really nowhere close to what BG2 accomplished.

Even outside of Bioware, there just aren't many games both as huge and as consistently high-quality as BG2. It's like almost everybody who worked on the thing shared the exact same vision and somehow pulled it off.

That rarely happens with 12 hour games, never mind 80 hour ones.

NWN after it was Bioware crashing back to earth. It's hard to believe the same developer made that campaign. DA:O is a big jump up from that, but it's still nowhere close to BG2.
NeoBob688
(03-18-2017, 03:36 PM)
Dragon Age Origins is a great game. I originally played the console version, which was a mediocre port, but still enjoyed it immensely. I have completed it a number of times since then. I agree that the DLC and Expansion are all great as well. The codex in this game is amongst the best ever and really helps to flesh out the lore. Yes, the game is a bit generic in places, but the same could be said about many games. At the end of the day the game succeeds because it fleshed out in great detail the world. Also I love that it precedes the open-world design ethos. It is a meaty game, but feels like each area was lovingly handcrafted.
Shinypogs
(03-18-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Steez

Some might say it's the last good Bioware RPG.

And the Deep Roads.

Excuse me! The deep roads was a lovely long dungeon romp with multiple cool boss fights. I will accept no other opinion as truth. Further arguments can be had with my mabari.

Seriously though I really like the deep roads both for the story and the combat. The dwarves politics before the deeproad can go hang though.

The fade is the worst aside from a few character moments.
animlboogy
(03-18-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by NeoBob688

Also I love that it precedes the open-world design ethos. It is a meaty game, but feels like each area was lovingly handcrafted.

This is a great reason to play it today. It's kind of unique in that it's really the only AAA take on the RTS-style RTwP formula, still designed around the more dense scale of the Infinity Engine games. You get these dioramas that aren't quite as airy as so many games are today, where every inch is worth giving a look.

By the time you get to Inquisition, the D&D/Infinity Engine connections are decisively severed and it's more like an Ubisoft game with some Bioware tics weaved through it all. It's interesting how generations of game designers are so quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater, then they're stuck solving the same problems that were already dealt with 30 years ago.
GreenMonkey
(03-18-2017, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Lister

I thought: wow! I wonder what a modern AAA Baldur's Gate would look like?

The answer we got was to a slightly different question: what would a modern kinda AAA Baldur's Gate look like, if it also had to run on a console?

Given that most of the development had been done with pc as the lead platform, the answer was actually pretty fucking amazing. Great tactical set piece combat, if a bit slow, great side narratives with an ok lead plot that, to be fair, had a lot to do in terms of setting up an entirely new rpg universe. Some decent narrative agency. It was a really good rpg. Some flaws in there too, but a great start. It could only get better from here, I thought.

Then someone hit "X" and something awful happened....

My take also.

Game felt like modern Baldur's Gate. Had issues (I hated the auto balancing of enemies the most) but charactes were great, stories and gameplay was mostly solid. Sure the main plot was a little generic but I liked the mostly standard fantasy settinflg with some twists (mages oppressed by clerics, quanari, etc).

Can't stand the direction of the games they went with later. Totally gave up on that oldshcool RPG feel in exchange for modern action RPG blah.
Sarek
(03-18-2017, 03:49 PM)
I wonder how many of the people who love DAO have played the BG games because compared to them DAO felt so lifeless and bland.
Vitacat
(03-18-2017, 03:52 PM)
DA:O on PC is particularly fantastic. Much better than console versions.

Heck, it even perfectly renders ultra wide on my 2560x1080 monitor. A lot of modern games can't even pull that off without hacks.
Herodotus
(03-18-2017, 03:52 PM)
I really liked DA:O and it's wonderful expansion, it's probably one of my top 5 games from the last generation.

The IP had so much potential and they just turned it into a boring/lacking Action RPG with the second game and a SP MMO with DA:I, like WTF?

I still play the first game from time to time.
DocSeuss
(03-18-2017, 03:53 PM)
I dunno if Bioware will ever be able to top DAO. One of the best video games of all time, despite Fenris.
Bansai
(03-18-2017, 03:57 PM)
It's still the best Dragon Age and one of the best wRPG from last gen.

Originally Posted by DocSeuss

I dunno if Bioware will ever be able to top DAO. One of the best video games of all time, despite Fenris.

Fenris was introduced in 2
Taruranto
<3 BioWare <3
(03-18-2017, 04:07 PM)
I remember being so hyped about this because I kept reading about how it felt like a return to the IE games, boy I think I got bored with it after the intro.

The battle system and encounter design were the worst offenders probably. To this day I'm not sure how I got past the derp roads.

Originally Posted by Darkstorne

Tldr: DA:O's story is a shitheap of generic fantasy tropes that is riddled with coincidental padding that's completely unrelated to the main plot, because Bioware have always sucked at writing anything other than character stories. And DA:O is probably the worst main story they've ever written. Handed to a novel publisher this plot would have had the author laughed out the back door. I swear when people praise Bioware stories they mean to praise character writing instead. Any brief analysis of almost any Bioware story makes it collapse. Ironically it's one of the few things DA2 got right - a main story that develops alongside the characters and which side quests all support and reinforce. It may not have been thrilling, but at least it was competent for a change.

I kept waiting for the story to explain Loghain's reasons to fuck his whole country and... it never did. Yes, I know about the letters in the DLC, but they really don't explain or justify any of his actions, unless you assume the character was insane.
Last edited by Taruranto; 03-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Valar Morghulis
(03-18-2017, 04:15 PM)
Absolutely amazing game. My favorite effort from bioware and probably one of my favorite RPG games. Top 3 for sure.

The camp theme will always be one of my favorite pieces of music.
neoemonk
(03-18-2017, 04:19 PM)
Baldur's Gate II is still amazing.

Dragon Age Origins is still ok.

I don't even know what to think about the new Mass Effect. Too much other stuff to play right now for me to find out though.
Jacobson
(03-18-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Sarek

I wonder how many of the people who love DAO have played the BG games because compared to them DAO felt so lifeless and bland.

Haven't played BG yet, but I'm planning to, so I'm kind of curious if it would change my mind about Dragon Age. The only Bioware RPG I've played before DA was Neverwinter Nights.
Faiz
(03-18-2017, 04:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Nikodemos

Modern Bioware in a nutshell.

That's the biggest thing in this thread I can agree with. They have a very difficult time understanding and keeping what works in one game when making the sequel.
cubicle47b
(03-18-2017, 04:34 PM)
I love Origins enough to overlook how mediocre 2 and Inquisition were and still have hope for the series. On paper, the game is average at best. There's nothing special about the graphics, combat, or overarching story (the darkspawn). However, the game made me love the world and how I could impact it. The Fade, the relationship between people who can use magic and the church, blood magic, the plight of the elves, the machinations of the dwarves, the dark roads, the traitor/hero Logain, etc. The world Origins exists in is amazing and so is the way each opening changes your view of it.
Doctoglethorpe
(03-18-2017, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Absoludacrous

It's funny, because when DA:O came out, people who had known BioWare from the Baulder's Gate days ripped it apart for its writing quality. Interesting to see how people look back on this stuff.

For the record, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But I'm really excited for fifteen years from now when people hold up Andromeda as the last bastion of quality writing from BioWare cause Mass Effect 9 is total shit.

5 more games in 15 years? No wonder they're total shit.
Jibbajabbawockky
(03-18-2017, 04:43 PM)
Origins was by no means perfect but it was such a great foundation on which BioWare could have built something that resembled a modern day Baldur's Gate.

Instead, BioWare tore most everything up that Origins established and made DA2, desperately trying to make it more like Mass Effect and Inquisition, where they desperately tried to make some kind of Ubisoft style open world.

Origins was just great. Great characters like Alistair and Morrigan and Shale. Even though the overarching story wasn't really anything to write home about, I thought it did a nice job of establishing a sort of interesting fantasy world with interesting characters and interesting factions. Its just such a shame that I feel like the people in charge of the franchise don't really understand what made Origins as good as it was, since most of the leads on Origins aren't even at BioWare anymore.

Originally Posted by RalchAC

Are there any must have mods that I should be aware of before further tweaking it to my tastes?

If you like Morrigan as a character, I totally advocate using the Morrigan Restoration Patch . Restores a decent amount of cut content and fixes a bunch of bugs.
Spacejaws
(03-18-2017, 04:47 PM)
Origins did a fantastic job of creating a huge amount of lore and world building that was, well not entirely fucked over, but hollowed? In the subsequent games.

Other than that I always think it did a great job translating that golden age of isometric RPG and the current AAA blockbusters with a healthy balance. The characters and choices were engrossing I remember having real dilemas over some of them especially endgame.

I was so hopeful for this series but the sequels really pissed on my parade. My only compliment is that DA3 looks good and is entirely playable but just ultimately boring as fuck. DA2 was a struggle after the initial hour and the next 7 hours were spent continuiously rolling my eyes at a mix of the dialogue, characters, 'combat', and story.
Man Called Aerodynamics
(03-18-2017, 05:14 PM)
I love Dragon Age Origins. Despite the non-voiced protagonist which I don't prefer, the different origin stories really gave you a sense of ownership in your character, and overall the game is just a great example of what I love about BioWare-- the feeling of being on an adventure with several close companions who you can get to know and affect their lives over the course of the game.

The graphics were bad even for the time, and the UI could be really tedious, but it's a great experience. It's my second favorite Dragon Age game after Dragon Age II, which I thought was even better. ;)
King Gilga
(03-18-2017, 05:16 PM)
Great game.

But the combat needed tons of mods to make it good, it was too slow baseline, and the baseline tactics were mediocre, It was also horribly balanced, anytime I didn't roll double mage I felt like I was gimping myself until i nerfed them.

Though it still had better combat than DA2 or DAI I guess, especially the tactical cam, DAI tactical cam is an insult at best, and both DA2 and DAI are insultingly easy compared to DAO (though DAO's most difficult part was that Dwarf DLC, god damn).

Also all the armor in the game was ugly.

Still, amazing game.
Last edited by King Gilga; 03-18-2017 at 05:19 PM.