• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Xero
(03-18-2017, 05:23 PM)

Originally Posted by toddhunter

No but it was a big step in the right direction. What followed was two giant leaps back the wrong way.

So I agree it wasn't BG2, but it was a start and should be appreciated for that...unfortunately it was also the end.

No, anyone who played baldurs gate and nwn should know its a big step back. I was looking forward to customizing my character like baldurs gate and nwn. What we got was absolutely gutted and stripped down to bare bones. Coming from BG2 its almost an insult how little customization you have on your character. It feels very simplified for console. It was definitely the start of a downward trend. I still had fun and enjoy the game, but as the simplified game it was. The true successor to baldurs gate is made by obsidian and is neverwinter nights 2 mask of the betrayer.
LightInfa
(03-18-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by BouncyFrag

One of my favorite games. Hearing the camp theme will always remind me how much the game means to me and is reflected by others in the comment section:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXNvDzlXqSA

All time iconic piece of video game music - I first played Origins while I was travelling abroad on my own for the first time (doing research in Britain), and just hearing that music conjures up memories of playing Origins late into the night in the ratty old room I was staying in, trying to convince Wynne that my relationship with Leiliana was going to work...

Absolutely love the game - the only thing that really continues to annoy me is that as a Dwarf Noble I can't claim the throne for myself - I was playing the game as a big revenge story against Bhelen (and that last fight was satisfying), but I was the rightful heir after all!
Alpha Phoenix
(03-18-2017, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by DocSeuss

I dunno if Bioware will ever be able to top DAO. One of the best video games of all time, despite Fenris.

Fenris was in DA2. Maybe you mean Zevran? I know I didn't care for him.
lumzi23
(03-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
I don't think these old school CRPG's are for me. I suppose DA:O is the one I have gotten the most out of. To be fair outside third person RPG's (both western and eastern) I have never finished a top down RPG be it Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy VI (though in the case of Final Final VI I believe I would finish in a heartbeat if I could find a good port).
JJH
(03-18-2017, 06:30 PM)
It's a great game. It's amazing how much Bioware has regressed in this series with the last couple of games.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(03-18-2017, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

The chemistry of the group felt fantastic in that game. Morrigan and Alastair constantly shitting on eachother was so good.

There's a feeling that DA:O achieved that Bioware's later stuff didn't manage to recapture

There are days when I get nostalgic thinking about walking through a town and listening to them just rail on each other in the background.
TimeEffect
(03-18-2017, 06:34 PM)
Really liked this game and would buy a remaster
Swarna
(03-18-2017, 06:35 PM)
This is the evolution in combat I wanted to see over Final Fantasy XII as opposed to the direction Xenoblade Chronicles took it. Agency over all character's actions + the ability to program their behaviour for repeated actions trumps relying on developer-set AI. Still, it was all sorts of Bioware janky and the lore/story was kind of tiresome. I do think it's a better game than all of Bioware's modern entries. I want to see an RPG that takes the best of FFXII (abilities, jobs, skill acquisition, gambits), DA:O (PC controls), and XC (positional attacks) and concocts something good. Also cut it with this limited deployment crap. We should be able to use everyone we have at all times without an artificial party limit.
Darkstorne
(03-18-2017, 07:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Swarna

Also cut it with this limited deployment crap. We should be able to use everyone we have at all times without an artificial party limit.

Yeah that's one of my main issues with Bioware games. It's become so common to select a squad and leave all the others around doing nothing at all that I'm not even sure Bioware themselves are aware of this problem, let alone the majority of their players.

I don't even need them all with me. Just give every character a supplemental role/ability that I know they'll take care of on their own if I leave them back at camp. So long as it provides a use of some sort I'll be fine. Especially with Mass Effect this should be really easy: tech characters on board the Normandy/Tempest providing tactical scans to your omnitool, highlighting enemy locations in combat even if they're behind walls; stealth characters scouting ahead to provide info and occasionally backstabbing enemies in battle before cloaking back out; sniper characters occupying high vantage points in maps to provide covering fire every now and again. Hell, even if they're just contributing various character-relevant resources like influence/power/crafting mats in DA:I or minerals/research points in ME:A it would be better than nothing.
NavyPharaoh
(03-18-2017, 07:18 PM)
One of my favorite games of all time. The letdown that DA2 gave me was enormous. DAI still fell short of the original. I played through the game a few times and each time I seen different things happen along with different dialogue choices. It's a relic in game design. Loved the music in the game as well. Shame I'll prolly never get to play awakening and Dragon Age is dead to me as long as they refuse to use the original combat system. The new one sucks
toddhunter
(03-18-2017, 11:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Xero

No, anyone who played baldurs gate and nwn should know its a big step back. I was looking forward to customizing my character like baldurs gate and nwn. What we got was absolutely gutted and stripped down to bare bones. Coming from BG2 its almost an insult how little customization you have on your character. It feels very simplified for console. It was definitely the start of a downward trend. I still had fun and enjoy the game, but as the simplified game it was. The true successor to baldurs gate is made by obsidian and is neverwinter nights 2 mask of the betrayer.

No, read again.

It was a big step back from Baldurs Gate 2. However we were not at Baldurs Gate 2, which was made in 2000.

Dragon Age Origins was 2009. At that time a "good rpg" was crap like Oblivion or Fallout 3. To have Origins come out after the mess of NWN2 was a really promising sign that in true EA style was completely ruined with the slack partially picked up by much smaller studios later on.
Taruranto
<3 BioWare <3
(03-18-2017, 11:08 PM)
NWN2 was far better than DAO for me since it had a better ruleset (D&D) and gave us Mask. DAO had a better engine, but everything else felt worse.
SatelliteOfLove
(03-18-2017, 11:44 PM)
Having never had played Baldur's Gate 2, I never had the "seeing what is missing" factor going there during my launch playthru, but having had played deeper, complex RPGs on all kinds of systems, I easily understood that it was released in the nadir of video games' Dork Ages and it was clearly a node on an evolutionary path to be where alot of lowbrow, low budget JRPGs were at the time. Putting a heavier and heavier Hollywood blockbuster pastiche on it sold the form, I guess.

Originally Posted by Renekton

Alistar is a fun character to have in your team, he tanks well and his WQ combo is super strong.

Alistair + Shale == Fun times
KrM DeLorean
(03-19-2017, 12:07 AM)
I really enjoyed the opening hours, the lore of the Grey Wardens was always something cool to me.

Some great characters here and there, it really is a gem I feel.
balohna
(03-19-2017, 12:17 AM)
Possibly my GOTG for that gen. PC version, that is. Really really liked it. It is buggy and it's got worts, but it sucked me in. I really liked the story and the combat, and the exploration stuff was rewarding and interesting without being overwhelming.

It honestly did feel dated when it came out, but that didn't prevent me from sinking over 100 hours into it.
Guileless
Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
(03-19-2017, 01:26 AM)

Dragon Age Origins was 2009. At that time a "good rpg" was crap like Oblivion or Fallout 3. To have Origins come out after the mess of NWN2 was a really promising sign that in true EA style was completely ruined with the slack partially picked up by much smaller studios later on.

This is a good point. It was a barren fantasy RPG wasteland when DA:O came out, and people really invested their hopes in it and graded it on a curve.
Xeteh
(03-19-2017, 01:29 AM)
I still replay DA:O almost yearly... I absolutely adore the game. I find more classic CRPGs to be more dense and confusing but DA:O was far easier for me to grasp. I loved the world and the characters, DA2 was so disappointing to me because it abandoned the whole Grey Warden story (on top of a whole slew of other reasons).

DA:O is fantastic.
What did he mean by this?
(03-19-2017, 01:35 AM)
I started playing a couple months ago and I was really out off by the lack of reward for evil choices. Game is great fun to play though
Helacious
(03-19-2017, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Taruranto

NWN2 was far better than DAO for me since it had a better ruleset (D&D) and gave us Mask. DAO had a better engine, but everything else felt worse.

What I wouldn't give for NWN2's modules in DA:O's engine.
Dlink16
(03-19-2017, 02:38 AM)
These types of threads of Bioware's former glory are always sad knowing that they will never be like they once were with gems like KOTOR and DA:O.
BolognaOni
(03-19-2017, 05:33 AM)
Really feel like DA:O was the fork in the road, and from there Bioware went in a direction I was no longer interested in. DA:O was a decent mix of old-school Baldurs Gate mechanics with updated graphics and VA, but afterwards things took a marked turn for the worse.
Ralemont
not me
(03-19-2017, 05:35 AM)
I loved everything except the combat - played it on PS3 and hoo boy.

Have since bought it for PC so next time through I'll be doing that top-down goodness.

Originally Posted by Darkstorne

Tldr: DA:O's story is a shitheap of generic fantasy tropes that is riddled with coincidental padding that's completely unrelated to the main plot, because Bioware have always sucked at writing anything other than character stories. And DA:O is probably the worst main story they've ever written. Handed to a novel publisher this plot would have had the author laughed out the back door. I swear when people praise Bioware stories they mean to praise character writing instead. Any brief analysis of almost any Bioware story makes it collapse. Ironically it's one of the few things DA2 got right - a main story that develops alongside the characters and which side quests all support and reinforce. It may not have been thrilling, but at least it was competent for a change.

This is true. I knew a guy who once described BW plots as "Wile Coyote plots." Everything's fine as long as you're buying into it and keep chugging along with the world-building and characters, but as soon as you stop and try to analyze things it falls apart.
Last edited by Ralemont; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Vengal
(03-19-2017, 05:48 AM)
That title track was pretty good stuff.
AntraxSuicide
(03-19-2017, 05:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Darkstorne

Agreed. I play RPGs for a great over-arching story, and DA:O's main story was as simple as "Blight emerges, rookie Grey Warden raises an army to fight the Blight, wins, the end." Absolutely zero plot twists (outside of Ostagar right at the start, but who didn't see that coming from Evil-Faced McEvil Dude?), or even plot development. All the quality writing, as per usual in a Bioware game, came from character development, 90% of which involved stories that had nothing to do with the main plot and were just side quests and side stories.

What's even worse is the main story would have lasted... maybe 10 hours if I'm being generous? So the game itself is padded with coincidental nonsense side-stories that yet again have no connection to the main plot asides from the treaties requiring the Warden to be in the area while they happen: There's a Blight on you say? Sure but COINCIDENTALLY Redcliff happens to be under siege from an undead army that could easily multiply and consume all of Thedas, let alone Ferelden; The Circle Tower has been occupied by blood mages and abominations which the entire standing army of Templars trained specifically for this very event is too afraid to deal with, but which you and a mere three other companions (you'll leave the rest toasting marshmallows around a camp fire because... reasons) can probably handle despite being brand new to this job; The Elves of the forests are consumed by a werewolf curse that threatens to drive their entire tribe to extinction; and the Dwarves of Ironfor... Orzimmar are engaged in civil war over the election of a new king. There's an arena that both kings claim is practically sacred to their people, that "proves" who the honourable and rightful warrior is by their victory in the trials of combat, but you're absolutely not allowed to select an obvious dialogue response of having the two potential kings duke it out in there so the winner earns the trust of almost everyone, and the few dwarves who still support the other dude... well their guy is dead anyway. Nope, that wouldn't pad the game out enough, so you have to fight in there as one of the king's champions of course. Then you have to search the Deep Roads for a long list living god. Then you find her and have to search even deeper for an even longer lost ancient artifact of untold power. Right. If the Warden had refused to do his/her job, then by the time the Blight finally left Lothering there'd be nothing left for them to destroy. Ferelden would have been swarming with undead, abominations, and werewolves. They would have gazed across the carnage, shrugged their shoulders, and climbed back down into the Deep Roads voluntarily. The Blight wasn't the threat after all: the coincidental side-quest filler was.

Tldr: DA:O's story is a shitheap of generic fantasy tropes that is riddled with coincidental padding that's completely unrelated to the main plot, because Bioware have always sucked at writing anything other than character stories. And DA:O is probably the worst main story they've ever written. Handed to a novel publisher this plot would have had the author laughed out the back door. I swear when people praise Bioware stories they mean to praise character writing instead. Any brief analysis of almost any Bioware story makes it collapse. Ironically it's one of the few things DA2 got right - a main story that develops alongside the characters and which side quests all support and reinforce. It may not have been thrilling, but at least it was competent for a change.

I love this game, but yes, all of this is accurate.
miladesn
(03-19-2017, 06:02 AM)
It took me like 10 days to just be done with Orzammar, deep roads and all the stuff there. Sometimes I was wondering if it's going to end. It was a huge game compared with everything they've built since. I miss that. Pacing was off and if you tried to rush through the game you'd hate it, I took my time and really got rewarded for it. It took me like 3 months to get to the end.

A lot of the hate for the game comes from people that played it on console, it was a terrible port, looked terrible, played badly, it wasn't even made by Bioware.
Last edited by miladesn; 03-19-2017 at 06:04 AM.
brokenbeans
Big Swaggin'
(03-19-2017, 06:02 AM)
Top 5 last gen for me
justsomeguy
(03-19-2017, 07:21 AM)
I really enjoyed it but the combat was easy to cheese at higher levels - traps outside rooms then loads of aoe into the room before the mobs could even see you
Last edited by justsomeguy; 03-19-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Tohsaka
(03-19-2017, 07:43 AM)
Yeah, it's a great game. Probably my favorite Bioware game still.
Cirruss
(03-19-2017, 12:23 PM)
I played it for the first time last month. I thought it was a great game. The party member interactions were great, and sure the story was just a bundle of tropes, but tropes exist for a reason. I found the combat to be the weakest part of the game, although I was trying to rush through the game so I could move on to 2 and Inquisition and so I was playing it more like an action game rather than a RTwP game. I never appreciated just how good the main theme was until the cinematic where you kill the final boss and it plays. I did not enjoy the expansions and the DLC as much as the main story, they just did not give enough time to build up the threat as the main campaign did and felt a bit tacked on.
Xero
(03-19-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by miladesn

A lot of the hate for the game comes from people that played it on console, it was a terrible port, looked terrible, played badly, it wasn't even made by Bioware.

all the complaints in this thread dont have to do with the combat though, the cliche story and stripped down rpg elements from other games.
7DollarHagane
(03-19-2017, 06:20 PM)
I liked it a lot at the time. And I even played it on xbox.
UserDoesNotExist
(03-19-2017, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by toddhunter

No, read again.

It was a big step back from Baldurs Gate 2. However we were not at Baldurs Gate 2, which was made in 2000.

This. Even at the time, I was a bit baffled that people said it was a Baldur's Gate successor, but at least someone was throwing us a bone.

DA:O had one of the most nuanced views on magic out of any fantasy game. It's a pleasant compromise between the extremes that high and low fantasy take, and it feels a bit more "real" as a result.
Immortal Technique
(03-19-2017, 07:29 PM)
For sure it wasn't in the league of the Baldur's Gate games, but DA:O was a great RPG in its own right and such a ray of hope. The sequels were such a betrayal that it was really crushing disappointment.
TylerDurden4321
(03-19-2017, 07:48 PM)
I played it a few months ago for the first time and I liked the characters... and the graphics are fine for an open world fantasy rpg, voice acting was fine.... and I played it through with almost every side quest. That's about all the good stuff I can say about it.

Didn't really like the gameplay, didn't like "impactless" combat, didn't like the strategic options, didn't like the generic story (some character developing side-quest storylines were ok), but most of all, I REALLY didn't like that this game is fetch-quest city.

Currently playing Witcher 3 and there almost every story leads to some interesting and not repetitive feeling gameplay and interesting choices. DAI can be happy that its art direction makes it feel different enough from Witcher that it shouldn't be compared too directly. All this praise for Witcher 3 and I don't even like Geralt as a character (also Gwent is too good! It's distracting and not rarely feels even better than the actual game).

I need to say though, best thing about Dragon Age Inquisition was sitting on that throne and judging people. pr(i)tttty gooood - could do that all day.
Real Hero
(03-20-2017, 08:23 PM)
Who was has the best opening story? I'm going to to play it for the first time
InsaneFandom
(03-20-2017, 10:13 PM)
It's my absolute favourite game, I've played through it fully 7 times & part way at least another 3 times. I replay it every year or 2

It just pretty much nails everything I want from a game I guess. I've never been more invested in a games characters, world & lore.
In fact the only games that come remotely close to my enjoyment of the Dragon Age series are the Mass Effect games (not played any Andromeda yet) sooo I guess I just love modern Bioware. I get that a lot of people won't agree with me on that but hey

&Before anyone asks, I have played both Baldur's Gate games but I don't love them anywhere near as much (I do really really really like them though)
InsaneFandom
(03-20-2017, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Real Hero

Who was has the best opening story? I'm going to to play it for the first time

They're all good, though I get the impression most think the Dalish elf story is the weakest.
For tying into the story of the game, I'd go with human noble. Dwarf noble ties in very well to a certain section of the game too, but the overall plot relates best to the human noble I think. Either are good choices for better context on some important NPCs

It depends how you want to play though - if you're a mage you don't get a choice. I probably most enjoyed the mage origin story though
Last edited by InsaneFandom; 03-20-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Toxi
(03-20-2017, 11:42 PM)
I find the setting for Dragon Age one of the dullest in fantasy, so I've never really enjoyed the games.
Shinypogs
(03-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
Sten+shale+zevran =snark for days. I quite enjoyed being a spirit healer and watching my team wreck faces. I was very sad when I had to drop my rescued mabari out of the front lines though. Best dog deserved better scaling.

The awakening dlc was mostly wonderful and I wish justice hadn't become a fragment of what he was in DA2. On the other hand my primary awakening tactic was to set anders to summon fire tornadoes upon seeing any enemy while my warden just outhealed the damage being done to the team.

Said warden may be a wee bit guilty of setting Anders down the path that lead to DA2.
Kalentan
(03-21-2017, 12:05 AM)
While I do love DA:O, I find that the actual world didn't really get interesting until DA:I, which I feel introduces a lot of cool concepts that while not wholly original in themselves are still enough to elevate the setting into something more worth seeking out and learning about.
BouncyFrag
(03-21-2017, 12:07 AM)
The banter is so good. I doubt many people recruited Loghain but it's good stuff.
SchrodingerC
(03-21-2017, 12:16 AM)

Originally Posted by ST2K

I think people also forget Tim Curry played an excellent, scenery-chewing villain in this game.

Especially if you picked Human Noble. What a great guy to hate.

OH SHIT, I had no idea that was Tim Curry! I need to read the credits more.

The soundtrack is great as well. I think my favorite area nusic is the camp and the mage tower docks. Super weird how the docks has one of the best music in the game.

Oh and of course the glorious amount of mods the game has. I even spent time redesigning half of the characters with various cosmetic mods. I should release those headmorphs one day...
Last edited by SchrodingerC; 03-21-2017 at 12:18 AM.
SuperSonic1305
(03-21-2017, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Taruranto

I kept waiting for the story to explain Loghain's reasons to fuck his whole country and... it never did. Yes, I know about the letters in the DLC, but they really don't explain or justify any of his actions, unless you assume the character was insane.

Loghain felt he could lead the country better than Cailan so he left him to die and took control for himself. Cailan didn't take the threat seriously and was only looking for glory which pissed off Loghain. Cailan also wanted to mend the relationship with Orlais which was basically treason as far as Loghain was concerned. He didn't want his country run by someone like that.

Played Origins 6 times. Fantasic game. Haters can suck lemons.