• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Psyrgery ES
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:40 PM)
Psyrgery ES's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clarkus Darkus

Worst of the series.... My 1 playthrough experience

Had day1 dlc
Couldn't import my shepard
1 hub with 5 floors ( Citadel)
Journal was bugged and you always had to scroll up
Cameo roles from squadmates who had no reason not to join
IGN reporter ingame
No end boss
Harbinger just flys away at the end.
Becoming an eavesdropper just so you can deliver artifacts from scanning
Action mode

Then they had the cheek after completing it, To tell you to buy dlc to further the legend of that guy they left lying under some rubble.

And all that was before the ending masked what was, A very mediocre game.

But yeah the ME3 MP was good so i'll let them off.

This pretty sums up my feelings towards ME3.

Except the MP part, I did not ask for this.
MarauderShields
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:41 PM)
MarauderShields's Avatar

Originally Posted by geomon

A true hero
Rellik
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:41 PM)
Rellik's Avatar

Originally Posted by BannedEpisode

I actually liked all the characters and the mechanics of building a resistance army.

The ending pissed me off but that was because I wasnt prepared for it. If I had known it was going to be such a let down I would have been fine.

I think as a whole ME3 was still pretty good.

I saw all the crying about the ending on here before I played it myself, and I was still angry with it. It took me years to go back to it and replay the game because of it.

But yeah, overall it was a good game. Even more so with the DLC added to it.
okita
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 06:42 PM)
okita's Avatar
Got it on launch.

What made ME3 worth to a certain extent to me was the MP. It's really good. and that's why i bought Andromeda ...

The single player portion of the game was a huge let down(i had high expectations, my mistake, and they didn't deliver). The impact of the choices made in the previous games was laughable, i believed the choices would matter, jokes on me. Couldn't import my fem sheppard, had to wait a patch to play with her (had two other characters prepared to make more playthroughs lol like the two games before) , and after i finished it didn't touch the single player again because (obviously) choices didn't matter at all , and everything felt like a huge waste of time , and there was nothing there to grant a replay.

Edit: I could make a list with the flaws which pissed me off (not just the ending), but the tali's face reveal was ridiculous, so much mystery to deliver that ...
Last edited by okita; 03-19-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Nokterian
always look on the bright side of STRIFE
...and LOL
...and DOTA2
(03-19-2017, 06:42 PM)
Nokterian's Avatar
How about that i am in the video at the end, what a great video from raycevick!
Mass Effect
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:43 PM)
Mass Effect's Avatar
Mass Effect 3 is a flawed game through and through. It's not a terrible game by any means, but compared to the first two, it's not even close to their levels.

Other than a couple of missions (Rannoch, Tuchunka), the best parts of the game were the DLC...

I mean it's kind of telling when some of the most important plot points for the trilogy are fucking paid DLC.

Just started watching the video. It will be interesting to see his viewpoint.
Henrar
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:44 PM)
Henrar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kthulhu

I've been meaning to ask this. What does it mean for a game to go gold? Is it just when the game exits production?

It basically means that game is ready to be shipped to consumers. That doesn't mean, however, that the work is over (as the team will fix non-critical bugs found during production, etc).
Aureon
Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
(03-19-2017, 06:45 PM)
Aureon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

I wasn't a fan of how they portrayed the reapers. In me1, like the entire fleet has to take down one reaper who doesn't even really care about the fleet firing on it. Now people can fight back. Didn't like it.

Game was okay but unremarkable imo.

Retroengineered reaper technology, duh.
Cranster
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:45 PM)
Cranster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shinjica

I remember ME3 release and people were defending Casey Hudson word

People still defend him saying we had to read between the lines. But no, his words were knowingly misleading and he and the rest of Bioware lied to the fans. The biggest excuse I hear is "it's their art so they can end it how they want". But that also ignores the fact that as art it also belongs to the fans and it's a commercial product.
Iriscomeback
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:46 PM)
Iriscomeback's Avatar
Fantastic video, and I agree completely with just about everything he said.

The Mass Effect 3 ending was rushed, unfocussed and just dumb. It failed to cash in on it's established universe, lore and characters.

It was painfully obvious that the team had time constraints, and simply no idea how to end the franchise.

One of the biggest missed opportunities in gaming history.

The gameplay was the best in the series though, and the Citadel DLC was one of the best pieces of content they ever created.
SUPGUYZ
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 06:47 PM)
SUPGUYZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clarkus Darkus

Worst of the series.... My 1 playthrough experience

Had day1 dlc
Couldn't import my shepard
1 hub with 5 floors ( Citadel)
Journal was bugged and you always had to scroll up
Cameo roles from squadmates who had no reason not to join
IGN reporter ingame
No end boss
Harbinger just flys away at the end.
Becoming an eavesdropper just so you can deliver artifacts from scanning
Action mode

Then they had the cheek after completing it, To tell you to buy dlc to further the legend of that guy they left lying under some rubble.

And all that was before the ending masked what was, A very mediocre game.

But yeah the ME3 MP was good so i'll let them off.

I'd like to add Kai Leng into this list as well
Clarkus Darkus
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:49 PM)
Clarkus Darkus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cranster

People still defend him saying we had to read between the lines. But no, his words were knowingly misleading and he and the rest of Bioware lied to the fans. The biggest excuse I hear is "it's their art so they can end it how they want". But that also ignores the fact that as art it also belongs to the fans and it's a commercial product.

Casey pissed me off when he said ME3 is a perfect entry for new players.
sangreal
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:51 PM)
sangreal's Avatar
I just finished playing through ME3 for the first time and I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed building the army and collecting all the war assets, and all the nods to the previous games. The combat was really satisfying too, a big updrade over ME1/2 IMO. The end was horseshit though, and I say that having only experienced the extended ending. I can't imagine how shit it must've been to be hit with the original ending. Even putting aside the terrible final cutscene and the lame 'choose your ending' mechanic, all that army building and asset collecting pretty much amounted to nothing. And how did they think it was okay to resolve absolutely nothing with harbinger, the big bad from the first 2 games?

I watched some of the video and the complaints were pretty dumb and pedantic. For instance, he complains about every scripted sequence being scripted
Last edited by sangreal; 03-19-2017 at 06:58 PM.
SamuelSupreme
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 06:52 PM)
SamuelSupreme's Avatar
Fucking EA....I really wished MS had the foresight to buy Bioware when they could. So much could have been averted for both companies.
Evil Monkey DTT
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:52 PM)
Evil Monkey DTT's Avatar
It's amazing how good me 3 was considering what it came out of. It is heartbreaking how bad bioware has has it under ea. You had the biggest series of the generation ea just let them work.
Hasphat'sAnts
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:53 PM)
Hasphat'sAnts's Avatar
I've made my peace with it. Replayed it recently and really enjoyed Tuchanka and Rannoch sections.

I just can't understand why they made From Ashes a pre-order DLC. That's such a ridiculous move.
bigace33
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:53 PM)
bigace33's Avatar

Originally Posted by arigato

Fable 3 too suffered from a eerily similar outcome. Coincidentally, both Fable 2 and ME2 were my favorite games of that gen. Would you guys say ME 3 is worth playing for the multiplayer alone?
I found Fable 3 to be at least a very replayable good game. But upon the first 30 minutes of playing ME 3 I instantly said nope and threw it in the trash.

ME3 was amazing. Well worth a spin if you were invested in the characters from day one. The ending was horrible imo, but mechanically and story wise (until the ending) the game is great. ME2 is still my favorite though
Cranster
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:55 PM)
Cranster's Avatar

Originally Posted by SamuelSupreme

Fucking EA....I really wished MS had the foresight to buy Bioware when they could. So much could have been averted for both companies.

Same here. I honestly feel the trilogy would have turned out far more better if it remained an Xbox 360/PC exclusive with less interference from their publisher.
vivekTO
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:57 PM)
vivekTO's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lime

I feel like people who say that the game was good except for the ending/beginning, didn't watch the video. Just look at the analysis of the narrative in the video with how much damage the various plot devices and characterizations did to previously established characters and themes, or the broken quest log, or the limitation in dialogue choices, or the number of turret sections, or the multiplayer maps used as side missions, etc.

Also, I don't think I'll forgive the environmental artists for putting in red phone booths in future sci-fi London. That was really, really dumb.

I just completed it Two days ago and for me its a better game then the ME2 , the combat is good and there are some good characters and missions as well , although i have played with all the DLC so there is lot more to do than the vanilla game i played 4 years ago.
There are things which i don't like is that the whole "leviathan" saga, i mean i don't understand why sometimes people think it is necessary to establish everything, there is also this thing called "mystery". Although yes the Reapers which i supposed to be fear off in ME2 made to be pale in ME3 , other than that the game is much better for me than 2.
Pyroclastic
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:00 PM)
Pyroclastic's Avatar
best gameplay of the series, though I wouldn't have minded if they'd have tried to improve on 1's formula instead of ditching it completely. Maybe Andromeda will do that at least, for all the faults we've seen in that game so far the environments look pretty cool.

some very good character moments and good end to certain story arcs
surprisingly good multiplayer

other than the obvious the only other things I disliked were the day one javik dlc bullshit and the simplifying of the dialogue system.

1 is still my favourite though because of the story/soundtrack.

2 was meh as fuck in everything but the soundtrack, the suicide mission and miranda's genetically engineered you know what.

I never actually got round to buying the citadel dlc. I want to play more mass effect but will hold off on andromeda for the time being. Is it worth it?
Last edited by Pyroclastic; 03-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.
CharmingCharlie
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:07 PM)
CharmingCharlie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kthulhu

I've been meaning to ask this. What does it mean for a game to go gold? Is it just when the game exits production?

In ye olden times when a game was finished and ready to be sent to the CD duplicators a master disc was produced for the duplicators. This disc was usually on a gold CD (hence the term the game has gone gold). Now days it is just a term to say "hey we finished the game now we are working on the 10gb first day patch and repackaging all the shit we ripped out of the game into expensive dlc".

As for ME 3 it was such a disappointment on so many levels. Now sure there were a couple of "good" bits in there. But as a whole it was a complete and utter travesty of a game and a pretty insulting way to finish the Shepard trilogy. As it stands I have about 1000 hours in ME 1 and about 875 hours in ME 2 yet with ME 3 I could barely stomach to finish the thing.

I personally don't think all the blame can be left at EA's door. I reckon Mac Walters and the rest deserve a fair bit of blame for it with all that cerberus rubbish and "speculation for all" crap
Mass Effect
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:09 PM)
Mass Effect's Avatar

Originally Posted by Clarkus Darkus

Worst of the series.... My 1 playthrough experience

Had day1 dlc
Couldn't import my shepard
1 hub with 5 floors ( Citadel)
Journal was bugged and you always had to scroll up
Cameo roles from squadmates who had no reason not to join
IGN reporter ingame
No end boss
Harbinger just flys away at the end.
Becoming an eavesdropper just so you can deliver artifacts from scanning
Action mode

Then they had the cheek after completing it, To tell you to buy dlc to further the legend of that guy they left lying under some rubble.

And all that was before the ending masked what was, A very mediocre game.

But yeah the ME3 MP was good so i'll let them off.

might as well add to that

-DLC to explain the Reaper's origins and motivations (you know, something that should have been explained in the base game)
-Kai Leng
-Cerberus in general
-no N7 missions
-scanning is still terrible (now with annoying detection system that makes no sense!)
-watered-down multiplayer mode posing as side-missions
OldMan
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 07:18 PM)
OldMan's Avatar
Very forgettable game
Maximus.
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:19 PM)
Maximus.'s Avatar
It was enjoyable but no where as good as ME2.
Bliddo
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:28 PM)
Bliddo's Avatar
This guy is great, thanks for the link
Jharp
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:49 PM)
Jharp's Avatar
Completely forgot that Kai Leng was a thing until reading this thread.

Holy shit, Kai Leng. They actually created that character and expected me to take it seriously. Kai fucking Leng.

Holy shit.
Mass Effect
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:57 PM)
Mass Effect's Avatar
Half-way through the video, and so far Ray has listed and thoroughly gone through each of the issues I've had with the game, even bringing up a lot I didn't know about (I intentionally avoided a lot of pre-release info at the time).

And I had completely forgotten that there was supposed to be a big mission that actually took place on Palaven instead of its moon and the Firewalker being cut.

Originally Posted by Jharp

Completely forgot that Kai Leng was a thing until reading this thread.

Holy shit, Kai Leng. They actually created that character and expected me to take it seriously. Kai fucking Leng.

Holy shit.

I like to refer to him as Swiper the Fox, because that's basically who he is.

Someone please post that excerpt about him from one of the Mass Effect novels.
TheSadRanger
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:02 PM)
TheSadRanger's Avatar

Originally Posted by SamuelSupreme

Fucking EA....I really wished MS had the foresight to buy Bioware when they could. So much could have been averted for both companies.

Jade Empire 2!!
Dlink16
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 08:11 PM)
Dlink16's Avatar
Ending didn't piss me off as much as others. Still had a great time with ME3.
Gridlock
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:13 PM)
Gridlock's Avatar
Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a lacking ending. If Bioware never botched the ending to the series it would have went down as one of the all time greats in my opinion.
Green Mega Man
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 08:15 PM)
This was a damn fine video. He echoed a lot of my own inner thoughts about the series as a whole towards the end of the vid. Always on the cusp of greatness but never reaching it, with flashes of brilliance that almost outshine the glaring flaws.

At least we had Mordin. "Had to be me. Someone else may have gotten it wrong."

I think I'll be subscribing to his channel.
Tenacious-D
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:16 PM)
Tenacious-D's Avatar
ME3 deserved to be a better game, and if it hadn't been rushed out the door, it could have been. If you look at the earlier scripts and some of the stuff said in interviews, it's clear that they had planned for it to be better than what we got. Another year of dev, and ME3's legacy would have probably been very different.

Got the best combat of the entire OT though, and the MP was a blast.

They really should have done something special with Shepard's PTSD during ME3 though. A pity they didn't explore it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pqgBw_exw

Originally I thought that Jack was one of the worst character in the series, but after romancing her in ME2/3, I'm disappointed that she wasn't a full squadmate in ME3. Probably one of the best character arcs in the series, and deserved more screen time.

Also, Renegade > Paragon. Seriously, Renegade is fun. Hopefully Andromeda has some Rengenade like actions that Shepard would be proud of.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(03-19-2017, 08:24 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by geomon

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...68/548/65e.jpg

Marauder Shields... lol
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-19-2017, 08:28 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
People always forget how bad the first hours to Mass Effect 3 are. It's just as bad as the ending hours, if not worse, in terms of pacing and writing.

The fact that the ending (understandably) got the most criticism by far always frustrated me, since it meant that the game's other flaws (the ME2 characters by necessity being almost afterthoughts or easily replaced, the opening where the plans for the long lost Reaper Off Switch are discovered on Mars within an hour of starting despite BW saying prerelease that we wouldn't be finding something like that, the entire galactic readiness system, the eavesdropping on people to go scan planets and magically teleport an artifact up to your ship sidequests, only beaten by the running around the multiplayer maps sidequests, the fact that every single plot thread had to be wrapped up immediately whether or not it had actually been given the time and writing needed to make it feel natural, the whole "Reaper invasion" setting meaning that nearly every mission that wasn't geth-related was either fighting husks on a rubble planet or Cerberus's unexplained superarmy attacking some kind of tech base, everything about fucking Kai Leng, Javik being paid DLC unless you preordered a special edition) got relatively ignored.

Mass Effect 3 is a game that starts badly, stumbles around until it gets good at the Rannoch and Tuchanka parts (where I still have nitpicky gripes) then immediately slides back into mediocrity and never gets back up until the bad endgame section, which felt much worse because it was supposed to be the emotional ending of this ambitious trilogy we'd been following for years.
Theslammer
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:28 PM)
Theslammer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tenacious-D


Also, Renegade > Paragon. Seriously, Renegade is fun. Hopefully Andromeda has some Rengenade like actions that Shepard would be proud of.

Renegade was 'fun' sometimes. Like one time when I fried a guy in ME2 since he was being a jerk to Shepard. But sometimes, and especially in ME3, Renegade Shepard was pure evil. Lying about curing the Krogans and sentencing them to death, killing Mordin to silence him, killing that Asari girl during that one side mission because she'd be too dangerous to leave alive, holy shit.

I just couldn't do any of that!
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(03-19-2017, 08:30 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Theslammer

Renegade was 'fun' sometimes. Like one time when I fried a guy in ME2 since he was being a jerk to Shepard. But sometimes, and especially in ME3, Renegade Shepard was pure evil. Lying about curing the Krogans and sentencing them to death, killing Mordin to silence him, killing that Asari girl during that one side mission because she'd be too dangerous to leave alive, holy shit.

I just couldn't do any of that!

Yeah, it also didn't fit with Citadel. Your Shepard is evil and willing to do anything she needs to do to stop the Reapers, but you'll take the time to have a party for your crew. lol
Tenacious-D
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:32 PM)
Tenacious-D's Avatar

Originally Posted by Theslammer

Renegade was 'fun' sometimes. Like one time when I fried a guy in ME2 since he was being a jerk to Shepard. But sometimes, and especially in ME3, Renegade Shepard was pure evil. Lying about curing the Krogans and sentencing them to death, killing Mordin to silence him, killing that Asari girl during that one side mission because she'd be too dangerous to leave alive, holy shit.

I just couldn't do any of that!

Maybe I should have clarified. I was referring more to the Renegade dialogue, not necessarily the renegade actions. In my recent playthrough, I did renegade dialogue, but still made logical decisions. I did shoot a lot more people though.
sangreal
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:34 PM)
sangreal's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Yeah, it also didn't fit with Citadel. Your Shepard is evil and willing to do anything she needs to do to stop the Reapers, but you'll take the time to have a party for your crew. lol

I don't think anything really fit with citadel
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-19-2017, 08:36 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
The things that always struck me about Paragon vs. Renegade were:

A) In one of the prerelease videos for Mass Effect 1 (I cannot remember which one), they try to downplay the idea of it being good vs. evil, but try to portray almost more like SMT-style Law vs. Chaos: Paragons are following social norms and laws, Renegades are... renegades. Which could have allowed for interesting scenarios where you wouldn't just pick the blue option to be nice because then it would level up your blue option for next time. You could be a renegade and rebel against authority or customs you think are unjust, or Paragon and coldly follow orders even if they're wrong. It obviously didn't end up like that in the end.

B) And the Renegade option was justified like 9 out of 10 times as an ends justify the means thing, where it's the pragmatic choice for the greater good, even if it's distasteful. But then... the Paragon choices end up never being naive or shortsighted, and you could already kind of see that happening as of ME1, so it made the Renegade reasoning seem hollow. Dude, there's a magical blue talking option right up there that I know would have solved the situation peacefully, so shooting some dude and then going "It was the only way" falls flat.
Last edited by EmCeeGramr; 03-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.
RDreamer
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:36 PM)
RDreamer's Avatar
Personally I loved ME3. Not quite as good as 2, but definitely better than the janky ass ME1. I also didn't mind the ending because to me the entire game was kind of the ending to the series. I thought it was fine, honestly.
jtb
the walrus
(03-19-2017, 08:40 PM)
jtb's Avatar
The game is just a microcosm of the series' issues as a whole.

It never resolved the series' identity crisis, relies way too heavily on horrible, underbaked concepts, and sells itself as offering player choice despite really really not being built to. It's a game that's at odds with itself.
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
(03-19-2017, 08:42 PM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
The problem with Paragon/Renegade is that the outcome didn't materially differ. Like, being a Renegade should save you time but maybe result in a more difficult action sequence. Or maybe it nets you more XP but you lose the ability to complete some other quest. Instead it's like....press X to be cool or press Y to be nice.

At least as far as I can remember, honestly. I don't think you ever get cut off from doing anything. I feel like even KOTOR was better about this...
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(03-19-2017, 08:44 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

The problem with Paragon/Renegade is that the outcome didn't materially differ. Like, being a Renegade should save you time but maybe result in a more difficult action sequence. Or maybe it nets you more XP but you lose the ability to complete some other quest. Instead it's like....press X to be cool or press Y to be nice.

At least as far as I can remember, honestly. I don't think you ever get cut off from doing anything. I feel like even KOTOR was better about this...

In fact, there aren't any benefits to being Renegade as far as I can remember... you even lose out on readiness score if you played Renegade in ME1.

Originally Posted by sangreal

I don't think anything really fit with citadel

There's that. lol
At least Paragon Shepard cared about her crewmates though.
inky
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:45 PM)
inky's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

People always forget how bad the first hours to Mass Effect 3 are. It's just as bad as the ending hours, if not worse, in terms of pacing and writing.

The fact that the ending (understandably) got the most criticism by far always frustrated me, since it meant that the game's other flaws (the ME2 characters by necessity being almost afterthoughts or easily replaced, the opening where the plans for the long lost Reaper Off Switch are discovered on Mars within an hour of starting despite BW saying prerelease that we wouldn't be finding something like that, the entire galactic readiness system, the eavesdropping on people to go scan planets and magically teleport an artifact up to your ship sidequests, only beaten by the running around the multiplayer maps sidequests, the fact that every single plot thread had to be wrapped up immediately whether or not it had actually been given the time and writing needed to make it feel natural, the whole "Reaper invasion" setting meaning that nearly every mission that wasn't geth-related was either fighting husks on a rubble planet or Cerberus's unexplained superarmy attacking some kind of tech base, everything about fucking Kai Leng, Javik being paid DLC unless you preordered a special edition) got relatively ignored.

Mass Effect 3 is a game that starts badly, stumbles around until it gets good at the Rannoch and Tuchanka parts (where I still have nitpicky gripes) then immediately slides back into mediocrity and never gets back up until the bad endgame section, which felt much worse because it was supposed to be the emotional ending of this ambitious trilogy we'd been following for years.

Thank you.

Edit:

Oh, and I remember getting this in my Diablo 3 days.



Made me laugh for a good minute when I found it.
Last edited by inky; 03-19-2017 at 09:03 PM.
jtb
the walrus
(03-19-2017, 08:46 PM)
jtb's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

The problem with Paragon/Renegade is that the outcome didn't materially differ. Like, being a Renegade should save you time but maybe result in a more difficult action sequence. Or maybe it nets you more XP but you lose the ability to complete some other quest. Instead it's like....press X to be cool or press Y to be nice.

At least as far as I can remember, honestly. I don't think you ever get cut off from doing anything. I feel like even KOTOR was better about this...

I don't think there's a single quest in the entire Mass Effect series that has more than one critical path. At that point, why even bother offering player choice? You're only giving them one way to play the game.

KOTOR is lightyears ahead of basically every game BioWare has made since then in terms of choice/consequence and quest design (and it doesn't even do it very well), with the exception of Dragon Age: Origins, which is... competent.
RDreamer
Member
(03-19-2017, 08:50 PM)
RDreamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by jtb

The game is just a microcosm of the series' issues as a whole.

It never resolved the series' identity crisis, relies way too heavily on horrible, underbaked concepts, and sells itself as offering player choice despite really really not being built to. It's a game that's at odds with itself.

People keep saying this, but what other series offers even remotely the amount of choice carry through that Bioware games have? I mean I'm a massive, massive Witcher 3 fan and it won so many awards, but literally no one here is bitching about the fact that it hand waved literally every choice in every game before it in a hilarious degree. Meanwhile games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect may kind of write around some choices but at least they change some things. Whole characters might be missing or have their fate completely changed.

If Bioware went to the degree everyone seems to want I kind of think we'd all be playing 10 hour games because 75% of the content would be locked behind some story branch from 3 games ago.
Auto-Reply
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:00 PM)
Auto-Reply's Avatar
The best thing coming out of ME3 was the MP for me... and after that it was the indoctrination theory, I really didn't care that even the devs denied it I just thought it was incredible that it was even possible to apply it and it made the thing way more interesting than what we got in the end. It would have been such a great mindfuck that nobody would have noticed lol
BossDarkseid
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:04 PM)
BossDarkseid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

One of the writers of the game also commented how Casey and Mac developed the ending themselves, didn't really take into account what the other writers are saying. I have what was originally posted saved because as soon as people found out which writer from BioWare it was, the account was nuked and the post was gone and Penny Arcade removed all mention of it.

Safe to say, had the actual writers who did the characters or missions like Rannoch and Tuchanka been given any say, the game would have ended differently altogether. So I think your point stands. That awkward first intro, the shitty final elevel etc. They were worked on and completed quick and then the rest of the writing staff and team had to flesh out characters and motivations etc. Another tidbit few fans know is, From Ashes aka Javik wasn't supposed to originally be cut. I cannot substantiate now but there things I read where the writer who wrote Thessia and Liara always planned from Javik being a squadmate from day one, rather than it be dlc and a lot of players miss out on perhaps some of the most important story/lore/Prothean dialogue ever.

EA has and always will be a pretty crappy publisher. Run numerous franchises into the ground, shuttered studios etc. It is probably why all the BioWare founders and long term employees have peaced out.

In one of the BTS for ME3, that was done before release, you can see an un-textured version of Javik's character model in a whiteboxed level.
Mr. Bad Example
Junior Member
(03-19-2017, 09:08 PM)
Mr. Bad Example's Avatar
The thing about Kai Leng is that he's the computer RPG equivalent of the character rolled up by that one guy in your gaming group--you know the one.

All of his characters are the coolest, baddest-ass ninjas/cyborgs/superheroes/super-ninja cyborgs ever, and every time anything remotely bad could happen to his character, he bitches and whines and moans until the DM gives in and reverses it just so he can keep being awesome and the most powerful guy ever.
jtb
the walrus
(03-19-2017, 09:13 PM)
jtb's Avatar

Originally Posted by RDreamer

People keep saying this, but what other series offers even remotely the amount of choice carry through that Bioware games have? I mean I'm a massive, massive Witcher 3 fan and it won so many awards, but literally no one here is bitching about the fact that it hand waved literally every choice in every game before it in a hilarious degree. Meanwhile games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect may kind of write around some choices but at least they change some things. Whole characters might be missing or have their fate completely changed.

If Bioware went to the degree everyone seems to want I kind of think we'd all be playing 10 hour games because 75% of the content would be locked behind some story branch from 3 games ago.

I'm not talking about choices across games, but choices within games. Mass Effect handled both extremely poorly.

There's very little player agency and freedom in Mass Effect, which begs the question of why it even offers player choice in the first place.
Last edited by jtb; 03-19-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Thread Tools