• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

emag
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:22 PM)
emag's Avatar
I disagreed with a few points in the earlier entries in the video series, but the video that this thread is ostensibly about is on point, even though it barely touches upon Kai Leng and carried over choices yet shows rather a lot of deference to Bioware's effort (it's too bad that the project was rushed and some developers worked 90 hour weeks at points, but consumers shouldn't excuse a final product based on production difficulties).
Cranster
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:23 PM)
Cranster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mass Effect

Half-way through the video, and so far Ray has listed and thoroughly gone through each of the issues I've had with the game, even bringing up a lot I didn't know about (I intentionally avoided a lot of pre-release info at the time).

And I had completely forgotten that there was supposed to be a big mission that actually took place on Palaven instead of its moon and the Firewalker being cut.



I like to refer to him as Swiper the Fox, because that's basically who he is.

Someone please post that excerpt about him from one of the Mass Effect novels.

WrenchNinja
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:24 PM)
WrenchNinja's Avatar
This was a good analysis. Surprised he didn't mention what Javik's role was originally going to be.
enigmatic_alex44
Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
(03-19-2017, 09:26 PM)
enigmatic_alex44's Avatar
Having "choices" should have never been a part of this series, we should have received a well told sci-fi trilogy without worrying about what a player may have chosen to do in the previous game like what the Xenosaga trilogy did.

LMAO remember how the players who chose to kill the Rachni Queen in the first game will stumble upon an identical but "different" queen in ME3 even though that choice in the first game should have left them extinct?
Tranqueris
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:27 PM)

Originally Posted by BannedEpisode

I actually liked all the characters and the mechanics of building a resistance army.

The ending pissed me off but that was because I wasnt prepared for it. If I had known it was going to be such a let down I would have been fine.

I think as a whole ME3 was still pretty good.

The original ending made me completely stop playing that game. A lot of people tried to defend the game by saying "well it's the journey that counts" but why the hell am I gonna put more time into the game if it's gonna wrap up like that?

Also Andromeda made me wanna try out the ME3 multiplayer and yeah, it still continues to be criminally underrated. I've been playing since my Andromeda trial ran out and I keep having to remind myself that this game is 5 years old. It's that good.
carlsojo
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:33 PM)
carlsojo's Avatar
Would have liked to study the seashells.

I was ugly crying. I haven't done that since. Game was full of emotions. In particular Mark Meer really, really stepped up for the final installment.

We had a good run didn't we?
The best.
What did he mean by this?
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:40 PM)
What did he mean by this?'s Avatar
"Shepard's story will continue in dlc" is still one of the worst things ever in a video game

But the conclusions to the wonderfully written characters of the trilogy were some of the best things ever
theCalamity
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:41 PM)
One gripe I had in ME3 (aside from the beginning and ending) is that they tried to make Earth important. They were banking that since we all live on Earth, we will automatically care for it, but since the game takes place in the far future, Earth is alien to us, the players. We never visit it until the third game in the trilogy. It's hard to develop feelings for it since it's the first time we're seeing Earth and even then, it's only for a short bit before we get on our ship.

It puts a strain on the rest of the story. Shepard and other characters constantly talk about how Earth has it the worst, but to be honest, it looks about as bad as any of the other homeworlds aside from Tuchanka which is already a nuclear wasteland. Shepard goes to meet with the new turian Primarch and drags him onto her ship so that the turians can start helping Earth, but the turian homeworld is being attacked as well. It's tone deaf. We're getting these other specieis to drop their respective battles with the Reapers so that they can come help humanity's battle with the Reapers.
Disxo
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:42 PM)
Disxo's Avatar

Originally Posted by carlsojo

Would have liked to study the seashells.

I was ugly crying. I haven't done that since. Game was full of emotions. In particular Mark Meer really, really stepped up for the final installment.

We had a good run didn't we?
The best.

That part killed me, Also, when EDI said, "thanks to her, I am alive"
Sarek
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:57 PM)
Sarek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Bad Example

The thing about Kai Leng is that he's the computer RPG equivalent of the character rolled up by that one guy in your gaming group--you know the one.

All of his characters are the coolest, baddest-ass ninjas/cyborgs/superheroes/super-ninja cyborgs ever, and every time anything remotely bad could happen to his character, he bitches and whines and moans until the DM gives in and reverses it just so he can keep being awesome and the most powerful guy ever.

Perfect description of Kai Leng. I don't think I've ever disliked a side character in a game as much. The whole character concept and the way they used this super duper cyber ninja in the game were just so bad that it almost felt like BioWare were insulting your intelligence.
SchrodingerC
Member
(03-19-2017, 10:24 PM)
SchrodingerC's Avatar
His statement about Bioware's emotional manipulation with certain characters and events were right on the money.
Why should Shepard care about the random kid that managed to himself killed? The kid had a chance to be rescued, but decided to fuck off instead. It wasn't Shepard's fault the kid was an idiot and refused help.

That and trying to replay the game while being forced to play those obnoxious stress dream sequences. If my Shepard had to chase after someone they'd care about or hell, a simple cutscene showing those that Shepard had lost or a burning earth would've been more effective and time sensitive than those annoying dream sequences.

Regarding the reuse of music, I was happy Bioware reused the Eden Prime music from the first game for Javik's recovery mission. It was appropriate for the area and it gave players a kick of nostalgia.
Also, the ambiance music reminds me of the soundtrack from Alien, so that's a plus.
Snagret
Member
(03-19-2017, 10:31 PM)
Snagret's Avatar

Originally Posted by enigmatic_alex44

Having "choices" should have never been a part of this series, we should have received a well told sci-fi trilogy without worrying about what a player may have chosen to do in the previous game like what the Xenosaga trilogy did.

LMAO remember how the players who chose to kill the Rachni Queen in the first game will stumble upon an identical but "different" queen in ME3 even though that choice in the first game should have left them extinct?

Honestly, I agree. Or at least, there should have been less focus on making player choices span multiple titles and put more work into making fleshed out, self-contained side stories for the player to influence that didn't extend beyond the scope of just one game. The big choices ultimately didn't make a huge difference and the way they tied up most of those plots was supremely underwhelming.

Originally Posted by theCalamity

One gripe I had in ME3 (aside from the beginning and ending) is that they tried to make Earth important. They were banking that since we all live on Earth, we will automatically care for it, but since the game takes place in the far future, Earth is alien to us, the players. We never visit it until the third game in the trilogy. It's hard to develop feelings for it since it's the first time we're seeing Earth and even then, it's only for a short bit before we get on our ship.

It puts a strain on the rest of the story. Shepard and other characters constantly talk about how Earth has it the worst, but to be honest, it looks about as bad as any of the other homeworlds aside from Tuchanka which is already a nuclear wasteland. Shepard goes to meet with the new turian Primarch and drags him onto her ship so that the turians can start helping Earth, but the turian homeworld is being attacked as well. It's tone deaf. We're getting these other specieis to drop their respective battles with the Reapers so that they can come help humanity's battle with the Reapers.

This is a great point, too. They should've relied on the familiar characters the player had been interacting with the whole series up to that point to pull the the player through the game. They screwed themselves by making every character in ME2 expendable to the story, the third game was a terrible time to introduce yet another set of characters the player has to develop an emotional bond with before the game is over, while simultaneously wrapping up all the plot threads established by the previous game. So they just made it all about Earth being in danger, which didn't carry with it an emotional currency for the player and came across really hollow.
Last edited by Snagret; 03-19-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Makoto Yuki
Member
(03-19-2017, 10:36 PM)
Makoto Yuki's Avatar
The game that shipped wasn't very good, but it wasn't the worst game ever. It was somewhere in between. Subsequent DLC and patches later made it a more fleshed out, well rounded game.

His point at the end that each game is flawed in their own way is very poignant. Great video.
Lord Frieza
Member
(03-19-2017, 10:47 PM)
Lord Frieza's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

I wasn't a fan of how they portrayed the reapers. In me1, like the entire fleet has to take down one reaper who doesn't even really care about the fleet firing on it. Now people can fight back. Didn't like it.

Game was okay but unremarkable imo.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't one of the points of the early parts of the game that they had developed specifically anti-Reaper weapons over the years since their discovery? I feel like I remember this, but may be wrong.

Not that I think it matter much. ME3 sucked. People say if you ignore the ending it's okay, but I thought the whole game was a giant letdown on almost every level
theCalamity
Member
(03-19-2017, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Snagret

This is a great point, too. They should've relied on the familiar characters the player had been interacting with the whole series up to that point to pull the the player through the game. They screwed themselves by making every character in ME2 expendable to the story, the third game was a terrible time to introduce yet another set of characters the player has to develop an emotional bond with before the game is over, while simultaneously wrapping up all the plot threads established by the previous game. So they just made it all about Earth being in danger, which didn't carry with it an emotional currency for the player and came across really hollow.

I've always maintained that Shepard's avatar for his anguish and despair should have been whichever squaddie he let die on Virmire. That way, when you have the dream sequences, you could literally be haunted by your past decisions. Still, I don't think the dream sequences should've been in there at all. It felt like they were trying to be deep and artsy without earning it.

Originally Posted by Lord Frieza

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't one of the points of the early parts of the game that they had developed specifically anti-Reaper weapons over the years since their discovery? I feel like I remember this, but may be wrong.

Not that I think it matter much. ME3 sucked. People say if you ignore the ending it's okay, but I thought the whole game was a giant letdown on almost every level

Yeah, they developed smaller Reapers, but then I'm left wondering why the Reapers needed smaller, weaker versions of themselves that really don't serve any tactical purpose as far as I can tell.
jtb
the walrus
(03-19-2017, 10:59 PM)
jtb's Avatar
Dream sequences are lazy storytelling. Which is why it's such a common device in BioWare games.
Jharp
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:02 PM)
Jharp's Avatar
The whole "tale of the Shepard" after credits sequence was fucking stupid too. As a space nerd, getting Buzz Aldrin to voice a character in your space game is pretty rad. To have him voice THAT character was just an insult.
X-Frame
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:05 PM)
X-Frame's Avatar
I just watched all 3 videos -- all of them were amazing and it was great to revisit the games like that with Andromeda so close to release.

I also really liked his analysis of Titanfall 2. Definitely subscribed to him for the future.
jdstorm
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:08 PM)
Finished a playthrough last year. I mostly liked it and didnt hate the ending. But there were some dumb moments. In my head canon i swap ME2 and ME3 chronologically. It works much better. (Although some of the loyalty missions need to be swapped)

Good
-Further expanded character customization
-Weapon choice/Mods
-Squad 1 button detonations
-Liara, Tali, Garrus and the Prothean
-Most of the loyalty missions
-Liz Traynor

Bad
-Follow the child missions
-constantly reffering to shepard as a legend. It was like Bioware wished they were making Halo
-The Winter Soilder. WTF. Atleast resurect Kaiden/Ashley or have Mirranda fill that role.
-locking the games best origional character behind DLC
-Edi, and James Vega
- increased reliance on fantasy tropes. Banshees/Brutes and robodragons felt horribly disconected from the Mass Effect Identity.
-darker Fatality amanimations when fighting Banshees.
-Aria: was overdone in 2. Worse in 3.
Ullus
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:15 PM)
Ullus's Avatar
Great video.

Still haven't played ME3 after several ME1+2 playthroughs, and doubt I ever will. Especially with the ludicrous DLC prices.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-19-2017, 11:18 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
I am still in disbelief 5 years later at how they had this big "and now say goodbye to everybody" sequence on Earth and decided there needed to be turret sequences against zombies sprinkled in.
Lime
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:23 PM)
Lime's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

I am still in disbelief 5 years later at how they had this big "and now say goodbye to everybody" sequence on Earth and decided there needed to be turret sequences against zombies sprinkled in.

Surrounded by British red phone booths in the year of our lord 2186. You know, just to make sure that players knew we were in London, England.
inky
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:23 PM)
inky's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

I am still in disbelief 5 years later at how they had this big "and now say goodbye to everybody" sequence on Earth and decided there needed to be turret sequences against zombies sprinkled in.

Focus tester: This part is boooooooring.

Probably the reason they had turret sequences at all. Or maybe one of the designers was an old school Medal of Honor fan *shurgs*
Orochinagis
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:31 PM)
Orochinagis's Avatar
Awww, no subs =(
kiguel182
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:07 AM)
kiguel182's Avatar
I just read about leviathan and it's crazy that's DLC. It fills a really important part of the story. Just crazy.

I think Mass Effect 3 has some really cool moments, highlight from me being the Geth stuff but, as a whole, it fails more than it nails. I still really enjoyed the game but yeah, I wonder what could've been if they had be given more time and had the original writer.
Vince DiCola
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:11 AM)
Vince DiCola's Avatar

Originally Posted by Green Mega Man

This was a damn fine video. He echoed a lot of my own inner thoughts about the series as a whole towards the end of the vid. Always on the cusp of greatness but never reaching it, with flashes of brilliance that almost outshine the glaring flaws.

At least we had Mordin. "Had to be me. Someone else may have gotten it wrong."

I think I'll be subscribing to his channel.

He really makes some excellent videos, his Halo retrospective series is pretty fantastic too
MC Safety
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:14 AM)
MC Safety's Avatar
I'd have been happy if BioWare let you holster weapons and had decided to end the game with Shephard bleeding out on the dais.
Stilton Disco
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
Stilton Disco's Avatar

Originally Posted by kiguel182

I just read about leviathan and it's crazy that's DLC. It fills a really important part of the story. Just crazy.

I think Mass Effect 3 has some really cool moments, highlight from me being the Geth stuff but, as a whole, it fails more than it nails. I still really enjoyed the game but yeah, I wonder what could've been if they had be given more time and had the original writer.

Leviathan was DLC because it was made up after the fact to try and shoe horn in some justification for the stupid 'Machines wiping out all life in the galaxy to prevent organic's building machines that would wipe out all organic life in the galaxy'.

It kind of just further undermined it though, since the Leviathans had enslaved all organic life in the galaxy during their era with their psychic powers, powers which synthetics were immune to, and thus were less inevitably destined to destroy organic's, and more just quite reasonably rebeling against the giant mind controlling fascist space squids that had enslaved everyone and turned all organic's into meat puppets.

You also still couldn't point out that you'd proven at least once that organic and synthetic could coexist peacefully with EDI, potentially twice in far more dramatic fashion if you'd made peace with the Geth, even being able to get them and the Quarians to reunite if you put the effort in.

And this is still the biggest flaw with so much of ME3. It's just badly thought out, rushed, full of plot holes, and deeply, deeply unsatisfying.

I mean I loved bits of it, Tuchanka and Rannoch particularly, but by and large it's just a bit shit and so very dumb feeling, and this video does a great job of exploring how and why that is.
aussiedude08
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:43 AM)
Glad he got it finished before Andromeda. Really enjoyed the first 2 videos.

Hope he does it for more games later, He puts a huge amount of research into his videos.
Arulan
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:51 AM)
Arulan's Avatar
What a disappointment of a game. It was here that it was made obvious that BioWare's blunder with Dragon Age II wasn't an exception but rather the beginning of a clear pattern moving forward.

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

People always forget how bad the first hours to Mass Effect 3 are. It's just as bad as the ending hours, if not worse, in terms of pacing and writing.

The fact that the ending (understandably) got the most criticism by far always frustrated me, since it meant that the game's other flaws (the ME2 characters by necessity being almost afterthoughts or easily replaced, the opening where the plans for the long lost Reaper Off Switch are discovered on Mars within an hour of starting despite BW saying prerelease that we wouldn't be finding something like that, the entire galactic readiness system, the eavesdropping on people to go scan planets and magically teleport an artifact up to your ship sidequests, only beaten by the running around the multiplayer maps sidequests, the fact that every single plot thread had to be wrapped up immediately whether or not it had actually been given the time and writing needed to make it feel natural, the whole "Reaper invasion" setting meaning that nearly every mission that wasn't geth-related was either fighting husks on a rubble planet or Cerberus's unexplained superarmy attacking some kind of tech base, everything about fucking Kai Leng, Javik being paid DLC unless you preordered a special edition) got relatively ignored.

Mass Effect 3 is a game that starts badly, stumbles around until it gets good at the Rannoch and Tuchanka parts (where I still have nitpicky gripes) then immediately slides back into mediocrity and never gets back up until the bad endgame section, which felt much worse because it was supposed to be the emotional ending of this ambitious trilogy we'd been following for years.

Well put. You see a lot of people brush away the criticism for Mass Effect 3 by isolating it to the infamous ending.
George Oscar Bluth II
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:53 AM)
George Oscar Bluth II's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lime

Surrounded by British red phone booths in the year of our lord 2186. You know, just to make sure that players knew we were in London, England.

As a Londoner, I can tell you that red phone booths will never go away :P

I was bothered by how big they were in the game, though.
inky
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:04 AM)
inky's Avatar
Finally watched the other 2 videos (ME1 & 2) and I have to say, I'm impressed. Not only at the research and depth, but how he was able to articulate problems I've had with all 3 games and how each of them is missing something from the others.

I particularly like how in depth he goes in the ME2 video on the combat differences between 1 and 2. Often on GAF and elsewhere I've had discussions about it, especially with people who like to put down ME1's combat without taking into account all the stuff he goes into like level design, power and control over your own and ally abilities, and even enemy design and sense of danger and challenge. And it's refreshing to see someone take all of that into account, and extrapolate it to every facet in the game: sound, story, characters, visuals, etc, never forgetting the context, which is crucial. I didn't agree with 100% of the thing he said, but he makes a great case for every opinion he has. He also doesn't complain about ME2's screen red jelly nearly enough as he should have :P

Very good.
Last edited by inky; 03-20-2017 at 01:08 AM.
theCalamity
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Stilton Disco

Leviathan was DLC because it was made up after the fact to try and shoe horn in some justification for the stupid 'Machines wiping out all life in the galaxy to prevent organic's building machines that would wipe out all organic life in the galaxy'.

That explanation for the Reapers still boggles me. Machines are sent to destroy advanced civilizations to prevent the advanced civilizations from being destroyed by machines. It's an idea that is so incredibly stupid that it's hard to see how it got past anyone at Bioware.

You also still couldn't point out that you'd proven at least once that organic and synthetic could coexist peacefully with EDI, potentially twice in far more dramatic fashion if you'd made peace with the Geth, even being able to get them and the Quarians to reunite if you put the effort in.

That's why I still didn't like the Extended Cut. It's not addressing that issue. I've never seen a theme so thoroughly undermined by the story.The game says that synthetics will always rebel, but you can make peace with synthetics. You even have one as a squadmate. They elevated this theme at the last minute and the story suffers. They had a perfectly fine theme running throughout the series: strength through diversity. We can overcome anything if we work together. We spend all of ME3 rallying the species together to take on the Reapers. The ending should have been an extension of that theme, not organics vs synthetics.
MAX PAYMENT
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:06 AM)
MAX PAYMENT's Avatar
I want to play this and the rest of the trilogy on ps4, damn it.
Cranster
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:52 AM)
Cranster's Avatar

Originally Posted by MAX PAYMENT

I want to play this and the rest of the trilogy on ps4, damn it.

While it's BC on the Xbox One I still hope we get a remaster with a reworked ending for current gen systems/PC's. Reworking the ending would also give Bioware a way to continue the series post-Shepard trilogy in the Milky Way galaxy.
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
(03-20-2017, 02:37 AM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
Wowow I never played the extended cut. I didn't know they actually made it worse!!!
Tranqueris
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Wowow I never played the extended cut. I didn't know they actually made it worse!!!

Was it worse though? If I remember the original ending, it was basically here make your choice and oh no, the Normandy crash landed somewhere! Then credits.

Originally Posted by geomon

Buy DLC to continue The Legend!

Oh wow. They had planned some kind of epilogue via DLC? I tuned out after the game came out and just thought it was some weird decision to have them crash land.
Last edited by Tranqueris; 03-20-2017 at 02:44 AM.
geomon
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:42 AM)
geomon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tranqueris

Was it worse though? If I remember the original ending, it was basically here make your choice and oh no, the Normandy crash landed somewhere! Then credits.

Buy DLC to continue The Legend!
Orochinagis
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:46 AM)
Orochinagis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Wowow I never played the extended cut. I didn't know they actually made it worse!!!

I hope you like Slideshows.

And the war assets to be nerfed not one or twice but four times was hilarious.

Originally Posted by Tranqueris


Oh wow. They had planned some kind of epilogue via DLC? I tuned out after the game came out and just thought it was some weird decision to have them crash land.

Nah, it was for the upcoming DLC (Omega, Citadel, ETC) which didnt alter the Ending anyway.
Last edited by Orochinagis; 03-20-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Y2Kev
TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
(03-20-2017, 02:49 AM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
I mean the cheapening of the dash to the Citadel! That's like the only good part in the freaking ending sequence! That and I guess the "i'm proud of you" stuff for people who liked Anderson, a noncharacter.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-20-2017, 03:02 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
I do remember the Extended Cut did also change some really funny things that were definitely noticed on forums but were mostly overlooked, like changing unconscious Shepard's ascent up to the top to a physical platform rather than a glowing light platform, and the hilarious part I could never stop laughing at where the Normandy is racing away from the energy wave, and Joker turns around to look at it while rapidly mashing buttons.

Joker turns around. To look at it. Joker is seated at the front of a 500 foot long spaceship, not a sedan with a rear window. He's looking at the bridge.


I was actually tickled that they fixed that.



(Other things: the explosions of the mass relays were toned down significantly and they were shown being repaired afterward because of all the apocalyptic implications people noted of the original ending, if you picked Destroy with a high score then your LI will hesitate putting your name on a memorial wall, they actually explain why the Normandy was fleeing the Sol system)


Oh, and a deleted scene for the game revealed as part of one of Geoff Keighley's Last Hours things showed that (possibly if you had a low readiness?) the squadmates you brought with you on the final mission would get killed by Harbinger's laser during the run.
APZonerunner
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:12 AM)
APZonerunner's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

Oh, and a deleted scene for the game revealed as part of one of Geoff Keighley's Last Hours things showed that (possibly if you had a low readiness?) the squadmates you brought with you on the final mission would get killed by Harbinger's laser during the run.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at as it was listed alongside other things that were added, but your phrasing makes me unsure if you know - This is in the extended cut. It got overshadowed by the fact they also added a 'goodbye' scene where the Normandy picks your squadmates up with a high readiness - that was the thing people talked about... and it's actually quite difficult to get, you really have to mainline the save and either use the default or have some very poor choices in ME1/2 - but with a low readiness they get killed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVZq-hHVmU

There's a lot about this addition I think is really effective, particularly what it says about Shepard's character that he just carries on. It's a shame the threshold to get it was set so low (a recurring problem in ME, I think: they're scared to let people accept heavy negative consequences.)
Last edited by APZonerunner; 03-20-2017 at 03:18 AM.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-20-2017, 03:21 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar

Originally Posted by APZonerunner

I don't know if this is what you were getting at as it was listed alongside other things that were added, but your phrasing makes me unsure if you know - This is in the extended cut. It got overshadowed by the fact they also added a 'goodbye' scene where the Normandy picks your squadmates up with a high readiness - that was the thing people talked about... and it's actually quite difficult to get, you really have to mainline the save and either use the default or have some very poor choices in ME1/2 - but with a low readiness they get killed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVZq-hHVmU

There's a lot about this addition I think is really effective, particularly what it says about Shepard's character that he just carries on. It's a shame the threshold to get it was set so low (a recurring problem in ME, I think: they're scared to let people accept heavy negative consequences.)

Oh was it added back in as part of the Extended Cut? I didn't know or forgot that.
badb0y
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:23 AM)
badb0y's Avatar
It's been 5 years :O
inky
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:35 AM)
inky's Avatar

Originally Posted by badb0y

It's been 5 years :O

Some wounds never heal...

Dueck
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:39 AM)
Dueck's Avatar

Originally Posted by BannedEpisode

I actually liked all the characters and the mechanics of building a resistance army.

The ending pissed me off but that was because I wasnt prepared for it. If I had known it was going to be such a let down I would have been fine.

I think as a whole ME3 was still pretty good.

I agree with all of this. I think the ME trilogy is about as good as anyone could have hoped for, minus the lazy "pick an ending" route they went with, likely to appease casual fans. Once the extended cut DLC was added, I was satisfied, but I get what you mean... ME1 and ME2 left me feeling emotional and wanting more, ME3 made me feel disappointed, like I was promised a new car for my birthday and it turned out to be an old Geo Metro.
Metroidvania
People called Romanes they go the house?
(03-20-2017, 03:42 AM)
Metroidvania's Avatar
Damn, he just got this out in time.

I wish there'd been a bit more exposition on the 'sudden return' of the synths vs organics, and the ability to argue more (even if unsuccessfully) with the starchild on whether or not we had moved past needing the reapers to make sure organic life wasn't wiped out entirely....

But I can understand why he didn't. He does touch on the grindy nature of the ME3 multi, which I did think was a damn shame.

And TBH, any 'logical' retort is just that synthetics will just get more advanced in the future, so you as Shepard can't definitively say there won't be a 'wooopsie daisy' in the future that still leads to the singularity that the reapers are preventing.

Still, back in the day, I wasn't aware that ME3 was rushed as well, though not to the degree that DA2 was. That does explain a few things.
Grisby
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:52 AM)
Grisby's Avatar
Great vid. I never knew Bioware was constrained for time in a similar situation like DA2.

It's actually kind of a miracle how much good came from ME3.

I've also never tried the extended stuff. They actually added a goodbye scene where the Normandy comes and gets the crew right before you head into the giant beam of light? Crazy!

Originally Posted by geomon

Originally Posted by STILLethal

Never forget. RiP

Originally Posted by Clarkus Darkus

He tried to stop us, Never forget.

Originally Posted by Sojgat

He could have saved us all. He died valiantly.


Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

"Shepard's story will continue in dlc" is still one of the worst things ever in a video game

But the conclusions to the wonderfully written characters of the trilogy were some of the best things ever

Yep. That DLC screen made me want to throw down my controller in disgust but I didn't want to buy a new one.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(03-20-2017, 05:21 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
Thinking of how it's been 5 years since Mass Effect 3, remember how it was debated that if BioWare ever did change the ending, it would create a massive precedent that every developer would follow, thus ruining games as art forever?
Cranster
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:22 AM)
Cranster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tranqueris

Was it worse though? If I remember the original ending, it was basically here make your choice and oh no, the Normandy crash landed somewhere! Then credits.

Let alone the implication that every ending caused the Mass Relay's to explode thereby destroying every single known solar system in the galaxy which meant you killed everyone. Very sloppy writing in general.

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

Thinking of how it's been 5 years since Mass Effect 3, remember how it was debated that if BioWare ever did change the ending, it would create a massive precedent that every developer would follow, thus ruining games as art forever?

It's a losing debate for anyone defending the ending. Pulling a Dues ex machina is not artistic let alone as art it belongs not only to the fans just as much as the creators. It's also a consumer product so they can't just dismiss the negative feedback either.
Last edited by Cranster; 03-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Thread Tools