• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-19-2017, 06:11 PM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Films released in the past 10 years that have managed more than 10 consecutive weeks in the top 10:

Frozen - 16
Avatar - 14
Zootopia - 13
La La Land - 13
Inception - 11
The King's Speech - 11
Hidden Figures - 11

Hell of a list.
zero_suit
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:12 PM)
zero_suit's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Films released in the past 10 years that have managed more than 10 consecutive weeks in the top 10:

Frozen - 16
Avatar - 14
Zootopia - 13
La La Land - 13
Inception - 11
The King's Speech - 11
Hidden Figures - 11

Frozen...my god.
BobLoblaw
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:12 PM)
BobLoblaw's Avatar
170 million fucking dollars? goddamn With Disney's releases this year, I'm guessing $2 billion at least.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 06:13 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar
Seeing that 99% RT for Get Out continues to annoy me, knowing how it happened:

An anti-Obama rant disguised as a review.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:13 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

I can't find a showtime for it anywhere around here and I live in the Greater Toronto Area with 6.5 million people.

The Belko Experiment's distribution strategy this weekend included not releasing in Canada.
3N16MA
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:15 PM)
3N16MA's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

The Belko Experiment's distribution strategy this weekend included not releasing in Canada.

Who thought of this brilliant strategy?
vinnygambini
Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
(03-19-2017, 06:19 PM)
vinnygambini's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Who thought of this brilliant strategy?

BronsonLee
noquarter
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Even if this strategy were sound, it would help if they'd marketed the thing. Which they didn't, really.

Portland didn't know it had opened until after the day's first screening.

I've seen commercials for it since I got back to the states in February. Think mainly on Adult Swim, but haven't seen anything else for it. Looks like they chose a demographic for the marketing as well.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:22 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Who thought of this brilliant strategy?

I don't know. I would guess that Blumhouse Tilt is a US only distributor, given that this is their second film after The Resurrection of Gavin Stone in January. Did that film open in Canada?
Sorcerer
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:23 PM)
Sorcerer's Avatar
Wow!!! Another movie in the top 10 domestic for Disney most likely. This time they kick one of their own out with Star Wars. I guess Avatar, Titanic, and Jurassic World will never be moved.
6 out of 10 spots.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 06:23 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar
Is The Belko Experiment a prequel to The Purge series?

😯
BronsonLee
(03-19-2017, 06:24 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

Seeing that 99% RT for Get Out continues to annoy me, knowing how it happened:

An anti-Obama rant disguised as a review.

Isn't that flop Armond the one that did that?
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 06:24 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Isn't that flop Armond the one that did that?

You already know the answer to that.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:25 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sorcerer

Wow!!! Another movie in the top 10 domestic for Disney most likely. This time they kick one of their own out with Star Wars. I guess Avatar, Titanic, and Jurassic World will never be moved.
7 out of 10 spots.

They will. It will just take a lot of time.

Also, you forgot about The Dark Knight.

EDIT: And technically, the earlier Star Wars films were Fox.
Lights and Waves
(03-19-2017, 06:25 PM)
Lights and Waves's Avatar
That's insane.

What's even crazier is La La Land at 400 million!
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(03-19-2017, 06:25 PM)
Sanjuro's Avatar
I was kind of expecting Beauty and the Beast to do better.
CaviarMeths
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:31 PM)
CaviarMeths's Avatar
Adding to kswiston's list, there have been 6 films since 1990 to spend at least 20 consecutive weeks in the top 10.

Forrest Gump - 26
Titanic - 26
Dances With Wolves - 25
Home Alone - 25
Ghost - 22
Beauty and the Beast - 20

:o
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:36 PM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar
Fantastic opening for Beauty and the Beast. That Saturday figure is one of the most impressive single day numbers in some time, and there's a good chance Sunday is underestimated comsiderably.

It also obliterated expectations overseas with that $180M international opening. We probably won't see the $575M domestic prediction I made, but I'm curious how close to my $1.3B worldwide prediction it can get to.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:43 PM)
kswiston's Avatar
More Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $524M
50 Shades Darker - $374M
XXX: The Return of Xander Cage - $346M
The Great Wall - $330M
The LEGO Batman Movie - $287M
Split - $257M
A Dog's Purpose - $165M ($70M in China so far. Greater than Rogue One)
John Wick Ch 2 - $158M

Sing - $590M
Hidden Figures - $214M

Get Out made $2.9M overseas as of this weekend. Based on the listed territories, I am guessing almost all of that was from the UK. Scandinavia gets the film in April. France/Germany/Italy/Spain get the film in May.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 06:49 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:
A Dog's Purpose - $165M ($70M in China so far. Greater than Rogue One)

The biggest smile on my face over this news.
Culex
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:49 PM)
Wow I had no idea Get Out's budget was so minuscule. 120 mil profit just with domestic. Someone's paycheck is going to be HUGE.
nextgeneration
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:50 PM)
nextgeneration's Avatar
I'm very curious to see where Beast ends up when all is said and done. I honestly think people are actually underestimating the money it's going to make when all is said and done, but we'll see. Let's see how long the legs are for this.
Last edited by nextgeneration; 03-19-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Alex_Mexico
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:55 PM)
Alex_Mexico's Avatar
How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.
Speevy
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:56 PM)
Speevy's Avatar
It's a shame the new Beauty and the Beast movie wasn't better. It might actually deserve those numbers.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-19-2017, 06:56 PM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alex_Mexico

How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.

Studios can very reliably estimate what the Sunday's numbers are going to be based on the Fri-Saturday numbers that come in.

It's been like this for decades now.

Every now and again a studio will get caught trying to manipulate the box-office game for free marketing with an overestimate, knowing that when the actuals do come in they wont' be reported on as much as the estimates are, but usually, it's pretty accurate.
pestul
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:56 PM)
pestul's Avatar
$350M WW for BatB.. wow. Impressive.
gamz
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:57 PM)
gamz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alex_Mexico

How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.

years and years of boxoffice data.
zero_suit
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:57 PM)
zero_suit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Speevy

It's a shame the new Beauty and the Beast movie wasn't better. It might actually deserve those numbers.

It might not have long legs.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 06:59 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by nextgeneration

I'm very curious to see where Beast ends up when all is said and done. I honestly think people are actually underestimating the money it's going to make when is all said and done, but we'll see. Let's see how long the legs are for this.

The only films to open to more than $150M overseas and fail to hit $500M overseas were Mockingjay pt1, Fifty Shades of Grey, Breaking Dawn pt1, and Logan.

Unlike many of the films in the $150M+ club, Beauty and the Beast was also missing a few major territories this weekend, including Japan where it will probably be massive.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 07:00 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar

Originally Posted by Speevy

It's a shame the new Beauty and the Beast movie wasn't better. It might actually deserve those numbers.

Yeah, I liked it ok but didn't LOVE it like BatB 1991.

I also haven't been recommending it like I have Get Out and Logan and I have zero interest in ever seeing it again.

Enchanted is still the greatest live action Disney "princess" movie (IMO) and it isn't even close.
vinnygambini
Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
(03-19-2017, 07:01 PM)
vinnygambini's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alex_Mexico

How is it that we get weekend box office numbers on Sunday morning? How do we know how films did in the weekend when Sunday is barely starting? I'd figure releasing these on Monday would make more sense.

Studios release their estimates based on current and past trends and theatre occupancy. It's fine-tuned on Monday when all the data is gathered. It's been a system established in the studio network for a long time and are usually on point give or take a few percentage.
zero_suit
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:01 PM)
zero_suit's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

Yeah, I liked it ok but didn't LOVE it like BatB 1991.

I also haven't been recommending it like I have Get Out and Logan and I have zero interest in ever seeing it again.

Enchanted is still the greatest live action Disney "princess" movie (IMO) and it isn't even close.

Did anyone seriously think it would be as good as the original?
Kusagari
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:02 PM)
Kusagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by zero_suit

It might not have long legs.

Doubt it. General population seems to be loving it and it also has the vaunted A cinemascore.
Alex_Mexico
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:03 PM)
Alex_Mexico's Avatar
Thanks. i guess that makes sense.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-19-2017, 07:03 PM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Doubt it. General population seems to be loving it and it also has the vaunted A cinemascore.

Cinemascore, like adjusted numbers, ain't shit though.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:03 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by vinnygambini

Studios release their estimates based on current and past trends and theatre occupancy. It's fine-tuned on Monday when all the data is gathered

In addition to that, they also have access to Sunday presales data, and can compare said data to walk-up trends on Sat/Sun. Predictions on average are more accurate now than they were 20 years ago.

We still get the occasional surprise, like when Disney low-balled The Force Awakens' opening Sunday by close to $10M.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 07:03 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar

Originally Posted by zero_suit

Did anyone seriously think it would be as good as the original?

Naw, but I didn't think the gap between how much I enjoyed them to be so large.

Hell, even Peabo Bryson/Celine Dion >>> John Legend/Ariana Grande had a huge gap in terms of my enjoyment.
nextgeneration
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:04 PM)
nextgeneration's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

The only films to open to more than $150M overseas and fail to hit $500M overseas were Mockingjay pt1, Fifty Shades of Grey, Breaking Dawn pt1, and Logan.

Unlike many of the films in the $150M+ club, Beauty and the Beast was also missing a few major territories this weekend, including Japan where it will probably be massive.

Thanks for insight. Let's see how it fares in the weeks/months ahead.
lightskintwin
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:07 PM)
lightskintwin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Culex

Wow I had no idea Get Out's budget was so minuscule. 120 mil profit just with domestic. Someone's paycheck is going to be HUGE.

It's about 100 mil domestic profit. Despite the film's budget, the marketing of the film for wide release is 25 to 30 million.
shira
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:07 PM)
shira's Avatar
$170M.

Holy shit. Who are they going to cast for Mulan if these live-actions are super blockbusters now.
Kusagari
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:08 PM)
Kusagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by shira

$170M.

Holy shit. Who are they going to cast for Mulan if these live-actions are super blockbusters now.

It will probably be Henwick.
BronsonLee
(03-19-2017, 07:08 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Culex

Wow I had no idea Get Out's budget was so minuscule. 120 mil profit just with domestic. Someone's paycheck is going to be HUGE.

Jason Blum's paycheck, everybody else got paid scale

Peele is gonna rake it in on the next film he does though

Originally Posted by shira

$170M.

Holy shit. Who are they going to cast for Mulan if these live-actions are super blockbusters now.

Whoever they want
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:08 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by nextgeneration

Thanks for insight. Let's see how it fares in the weeks/months ahead.

If I had to provide a guestimate based on this weekend's opening, I would say something between $1.1-1.2B, depending on domestic legs and the film's reception in Japan, France, and Australia.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(03-19-2017, 07:10 PM)
ryutaro's mama's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Whoever they want

As long as BronsonLee is cast to sing "Make Man Out Of You".
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:12 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by lightskintwin

It's about 100 mil domestic profit. Despite the film's budget, the marketing of the film for wide release is 25 to 30 million.

You have to factor in the exhibitor split. So 55% of the domestic take after the theatre's cut is $73M.

I'd guess that production, distribution, and advertising expenses totaled $20M or so. That leaves around $50M in the black from the domestic run to date to be split by those who financed and created the film.

Add in profits from home video, TV licensing, and streaming.
Hashmal_Bringer_of_Order
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:12 PM)
Hashmal_Bringer_of_Order's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Jason Blum's paycheck, everybody else got paid scale

Peele is gonna rake it in on the next film he does though



Whoever they want

Whoever they can use to absolutely maximize that Chinese $$$$$$$$
gamz
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:12 PM)
gamz's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Jason Blum's paycheck, everybody else got paid scale

Peele is gonna rake it in on the next film he does though



Whoever they want

How does it work with Split? Is Blumhouse only in charge of marketing and whatever else? Like Fox with Lucas?
Raguel
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:12 PM)
Raguel's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

As long as BronsonLee is cast to sing "Make Man Out Of You".

He'll be cast as mushuu the dragon and be promptly eliminated in the first two minutes
ratcliffja
Member
(03-19-2017, 07:12 PM)
ratcliffja's Avatar

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

As long as BronsonLee is cast to sing "Make Man Out Of You".

That's racist.
BronsonLee
(03-19-2017, 07:14 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hashmal_Bringer_of_Order

Whoever they can use to absolutely maximize that Chinese $$$$$$$$

Fan Bingbing will inexplicably play a 17 year old

Originally Posted by gamz

How does it work with Split? Is Blumhouse only in charge of marketing and whatever else? Like Fox with Lucas?

They probably get a decent cut even though M. Night self-financed

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

As long as BronsonLee is cast to sing "Make Man Out Of You".

Originally Posted by Raguel

He'll be cast as mushuu the dragon and be promptly eliminated in the first two minutes

Originally Posted by ratcliffja

That's racist.

I'm ok with all of these ideas because I could live off residuals until the day I die

Thread Tools