• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Gentleman Jack
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:28 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar
The songs were the worst part of TJB to be quite honest.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(03-19-2017, 09:32 PM)
smokeymicpot's Avatar

Originally Posted by xaosslug

i wonder how close we are to a live action Frozen? >__>



highly doubt it, tbh

Maybe longer then a decade. Think they are doing a broadway play first plus sequels. So it won't be for a while.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:37 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by shira

Could Kristen Bell even play her role?

I think I understood that reference.
Penguin
(03-19-2017, 09:41 PM)
Penguin's Avatar
Kingsman movie moved up a week until end of Sept

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/sta...76434005901312
MHWilliams
(03-19-2017, 09:41 PM)
MHWilliams's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Speaking of which, Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list.

Power Rangers remains at $38M opening and $110M total.
Life was bumped up to a $16M opening
CHiPs was bumped down to a $10M opening

Ghost in the Shell drops to $37M opening weekend and $95M total

Initial forecasts for Snatched and King Arthur were $25M OW/$85M total and $23M OW/$63M total respectively.

At least Guy Ritchie has Aladdin in the future (plus Sherlock Holmes 3 if they ever get around to it)!



It really depends on whether you can create a franchise with legs in the blockbuster space, which doesn't happen that often. That said, production studios as big as Universal or WB couldn't live on $5-20M films with limited overseas appeal, multimedia crossover, and merchandising opportunities. They should still aim for diversity in their film portfolios though.

That's solid for Power Rangers, depending on the international take. Budget is $105 million.
kswiston
Member
(03-19-2017, 09:45 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

That's solid for Power Rangers, depending on the international take. Budget is $105 million.

If it works like other Lionsgate films, they have sold off the international distribution.
MHWilliams
(03-19-2017, 10:16 PM)
MHWilliams's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

If it works like other Lionsgate films, they have sold off the international distribution.

Depends, it's a co-production with Toei and Saban, so I have no clue what the distribution deal is like. I'm reasonably sure Toei will handle Japan and Korea.
xaosslug
Shane Kim's pre-cum
shall drench unbelievers
(03-19-2017, 11:24 PM)
xaosslug's Avatar
tho I've softened to Beauty's casting, I'm still bitter about the "my paw" part of Something There, negl! -_____________-
broncobuster
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:32 PM)
broncobuster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

Kingsman movie moved up a week until end of Sept

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/sta...76434005901312

Nice that's it's no longer day and date with Blade Runner.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(03-19-2017, 11:48 PM)
Replicant's Avatar
♫ Tale as old as time, Disney prints money...... ♫
El Topo
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:50 PM)
El Topo's Avatar
I'm wondering how the genie in Aladdin is going to work. Robin Williams did a sensational job back in the day.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(03-19-2017, 11:51 PM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Nice that's it's no longer day and date with Blade Runner.

For sure. There's not much I would prioritize over Blade Runner 2049. Certainly not that movie. Gives it time to breathe now

As much as I'm meh on Matthew Vaughn I think Kingsman 2 will be pretty fun. With Colin Firth out getting Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges to pick up the slack is awesome

And Julianne Moore is always great too
LumpOfCole
Cereal Killer
(03-19-2017, 11:51 PM)
LumpOfCole's Avatar
Josh Gad is confirmed as Disney's secret sauce.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(03-19-2017, 11:53 PM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

Kingsman movie moved up a week until end of Sept

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/sta...76434005901312

This should be a strong candidate to break the highly competitive and illustrious September OW record.
Sean C
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:23 AM)
Sean C's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

The songs were the worst part of TJB to be quite honest.

Same. "The Bare Necessities" kind of works, but "I Wanna Be Like You" as performed by Christopher Walken takes you completely out of the scene.
BronsonLee
(03-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by LumpOfCole

Josh Gad is confirmed as Disney's secret sauce.

The Billion Dollar Beast

Originally Posted by Sean C

Same. "The Bare Necessities" kind of works, but "I Wanna Be Like You" as performed by Christopher Walken takes you completely out of the scene.

Because HE CAN'T FUCKING SING

Him doing that NBC Broadway show was even dumber
NomarTyme
(03-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
NomarTyme's Avatar
Does Disney films just print money? jeebus.
Fancyarcher
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:27 AM)
Beauty & The Beast is truly a beast at the box office.

Originally Posted by border

I am surprised that The Belko Experiment did not do better. I imagined they would rake in that Purge money.

The film boasts a unique distribution strategy. “The Belko Experiment” opened in 1,341 locations, roughly a third of the theater count for a major studio offerings. The theaters are chosen because they are more popular with horror fans

How does this really help the film? Now that we are in a digital era, do you really save that much money by lowering your screen count that much?

It was basically dumped, so that's not surprising.
OrangeAtlas
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:33 AM)
OrangeAtlas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discotheque

For sure. There's not much I would prioritize over Blade Runner 2049. Certainly not that movie. Gives it time to breathe now

As much as I'm meh on Matthew Vaughn I think Kingsman 2 will be pretty fun. With Colin Firth out getting Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges to pick up the slack is awesome

And Julianne Moore is always great too

I love the new cast too but fairly certain Colin Firth isn't entirely "out".

Jawmuncher
(03-20-2017, 12:47 AM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar
"I wanna be like you" was the best thing about The Jungle Book.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(03-20-2017, 12:52 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar
Rth says the floor for Beauty today is $50M!!!
clearacell
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:03 AM)
clearacell's Avatar

Originally Posted by zero_suit

Did anyone seriously think it would be as good as the original?

my wife had hopes. live action being better than the original is possible, jungle book live action was way better.
Sean C
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:07 AM)
Sean C's Avatar

Originally Posted by clearacell

my wife had hopes. live action being better than the original is possible, jungle book live action was way better.

Yeah, but the animated The Jungle Book isn't particularly good in the first place. Beauty and the Beast is a masterpiece.
zero_suit
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:10 AM)
zero_suit's Avatar

Originally Posted by clearacell

my wife had hopes. live action being better than the original is possible, jungle book live action was way better.

True, but BatB was the first animated feature to be nominated for best picture.
gamz
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:31 AM)
gamz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

Rth says the floor for Beauty today is $50M!!!

I figured as much.
BumRush
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:38 AM)
BumRush's Avatar
Looks like it has a shot at $180M OW??? Lawd
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(03-20-2017, 01:47 AM)
soultron's Avatar
Went to a 6PM Sunday showing for GET OUT and it was sold out in my city. Had the best time. Being in a packed theatre made the movie even better.
Kusagari
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:48 AM)
Kusagari's Avatar
Just keep "Make a Man out of You" and ditch the other songs in Mulan.
paragonpro
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:49 AM)
paragonpro's Avatar
Should i see beauty? I love the original.
BumRush
Member
(03-20-2017, 01:50 AM)
BumRush's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Just keep "Make a Man out of You" and ditch the other songs in Mulan.

My soon to be 3 year old will be pretty pissed if they ditch Reflection
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:03 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar
I must be the outlier that didn't like any of the music in Mulan. I have a love/hate relationship with that film. When it ditches Mushu/silly stuff and the musical numbers, and stays focused on the drama, it is stellar. But man, the songs and Mushu just drag it to a halt. It could have been so much better, and I am hoping they do some refinement when the live action one hits.
kswiston
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:04 AM)
kswiston's Avatar
I have never seen Mulan. It fell into that period where I didn't watch any Disney cartoons (basically post-Hercules to Tangled).

Originally Posted by BumRush

My soon to be 3 year old will be pretty pissed if they ditch Reflection

Speaking of 3 year olds, I'm sort of on the fence about taking my daughter to Beauty and the Beast. She likes the cartoon version, but live action + an almost 2.5 hour run time seems like a recipe for complaining to go home. I think I am leaning towards seeing it on netflix next winter.

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

Rth says the floor for Beauty today is $50M!!!

So, over Iron Man 3 at the very least. It would be funny if it managed to bump Civil War out of the top 5.
BumRush
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:41 AM)
BumRush's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston


Speaking of 3 year olds, I'm sort of on the fence about taking my daughter to Beauty and the Beast. She likes the cartoon version, but live action + an almost 2.5 hour run time seems like a recipe for complaining to go home. I think I am leaning towards seeing it on netflix next winter.

My wife made the decision for us as she's going with her friends, but I wouldn't have taken my daughter anyway. Disney cartoons were always around 90 minutes. 150 minutes is just too much to ask.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(03-20-2017, 02:42 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

I must be the outlier that didn't like any of the music in Mulan. I have a love/hate relationship with that film. When it ditches Mushu/silly stuff and the musical numbers, and stays focused on the drama, it is stellar. But man, the songs and Mushu just drag it to a halt. It could have been so much better, and I am hoping they do some refinement when the live action one hits.

you don't like Mushu?! Or Make a Man Out of You?! Or True to your Heart?!

Phonciple plz...

man you just know they're gonna fuck up and cast Kevin Hart as mushu in the new one as well :(
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:46 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar
Sorry, but Donny Osmond suddenly singing about making me a man just immediately takes me out of the film.

The songs themselves are great, but just jarring as fuck when implemented into that narrative. And Mushu is fun, but seems like a corporate driven decision to have a comedic sidekick tossed in for toy sales.

As I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the film. There is potential for something truly great in there. They just haven't tapped it yet.

This first teaser for Mulan was 10x more effective at delivering the drama and the feels than the final film. Notice the lack of comedy.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-20-2017, 02:47 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar
Wait, are they even keeping the songs in Mulan? I thought they were going to try to play it more straightforward action/adventure
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:48 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Wait, are they even keeping the songs in Mulan? I thought they were going to try to play it more straightforward action/adventure

They are ditching the songs apparently, which gives me hope for the film.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(03-20-2017, 02:48 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar
that's good. I think Lion King should ditch the songs too unless they get Hans Zimmer and Elton John back.

or maybe not even bother with the songs even if they could get them back. this 1:1 live action remake shtick is weak.
RastaMentality
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:49 AM)
RastaMentality's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

They are ditching the songs apparently, which gives me hope for the film.

No songs is gonna blunt it's hit prospective.
BronsonLee
(03-20-2017, 02:49 AM)
BronsonLee's Avatar
Bone trying to take roles away from me
you son of a
Sibersk Esto
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:56 AM)
Sibersk Esto's Avatar
Lion King can probably keep "Can you feel the Love tonight?" for weird CGI lion sex.
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:57 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Bone trying to take roles away from me
you son of a



Originally Posted by Discotheque

that's good. I think Lion King should ditch the songs too unless they get Hans Zimmer and Elton John back.

or maybe not even bother with the songs even if they could get them back. this 1:1 live action remake shtick is weak.

As much as I love the music in The Lion King, I can agree with this. It would be very weird in live action. Although, they can easily redo the Circle of Life opening since none of the characters sing that. And that opening is still awesome and powerful.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:58 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar
Don't care how awkward it is, I will cut fools if they don't include Hakuna Matata.
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 02:59 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

Don't care how awkward it is, I will cut fools if they don't include Hakuna Matata.

That could work too. I just don't see I Cant Wait to Be King or Be Prepared (and I love me some Be Prepared) working out with "live action" animals.

And they better be getting Nathan Lane back as Timon.
Blablurn
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:10 AM)
Blablurn's Avatar
Power Rangers has no release date for China.

Could be a major blow for its worlwide cume.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-20-2017, 03:20 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

And they better be getting Nathan Lane back as Timon.

You think they haven't already gotten Josh Gad on the hook?
BronsonLee
(03-20-2017, 03:21 AM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

You think they haven't already gotten Josh Gad on the hook?

OPEN ON: Josh Gad's Home, Wherever The Fuck That Is

Josh Gad: Please, no, not again..I have other movies to work on!
*Mickey Mouse cocks shotgun*
Mickey Mouse: HoHo! Fuck no you don't!
PhoncipleBone
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:21 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

You think they haven't already gotten Josh Gad on the hook?

He will be Timon's gay lover, just to drive rural America mad. And cause a love triangle with Pumbaa
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-20-2017, 03:25 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar
Wait, wasnt' there a rumor or a petition or some shit that these two from Modern Family were going to do it?

adj_noun
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:27 AM)
adj_noun's Avatar
Everyone who kept asking "what's the point of remaking Beauty and the Beast":


‘Beauty and the Beast’ Smashes Records With Towering $170 Million Debut

There's yer point.

Thread Tools