• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Valhelm
contribute something
(03-20-2017, 04:17 PM)

Originally Posted by antonz

YouTube put out the comment because several Prominent LGBTQ Youtubers noticed issues. Its not YouTube releasing a press release targeting LGBTQ for a insidious reasons.

That said Restricted Mode fails because like so much of YouTube its automated. Community Flagging etc. can lead to things being considered restricted and the way the internet is lots of shitty people can spam flag complaints

The YouTube community is so despicable that instituting any kind of democracy is terrible idea.

The kinds of people who leave YouTube comments should have zero influence over which videos are accessible.
Beefy
(03-20-2017, 04:19 PM)
Long as YouTubers can say n*gger and faggot etc etc.
_Ryo_
(03-20-2017, 04:19 PM)
This bullshit needs to be fixed ASAP.

There's no reason to censor a lot of these things other than pure bigotry.
Kthulhu
(03-20-2017, 04:24 PM)

Originally Posted by collige

We can blame Youtube for literally selling out the LGBT community though

YouTube sells out the people who make them money all the time. This isn't really surprising.

This is what happens when you have a monopoly, you have no reason to improve or care about your costumers.
rrs
(03-20-2017, 04:24 PM)
The Albatross made a good post earlier in the thread I'd like to add on.

This restricted mode seems to be very much a sloppy filter on videos, but as an option it's rarely if ever used as it has to be enabled manually at the bottom of the page. The restricted mode is NOT the same as not being signed in, as that also has a few, but very very NSFW videos that you can't watch without being signed in and showing up as of age (trucker's delight, as an example for such a video)

LGR comparison:

Last edited by rrs; 03-20-2017 at 04:29 PM.
SomedayTheFire
(03-20-2017, 04:28 PM)
Horrid.
Mael
(03-20-2017, 04:30 PM)
Good thing Google ban any hint of trans people showing make up as long as we can keep ISIS training vids and neonazi propagandas...
Frozenprince
Banned
(03-20-2017, 04:31 PM)
We have reached the point where even the platform itself is showing it's ass.

Jesus.
Mahonay
(03-20-2017, 04:33 PM)
What the fuck? This is some insane bullshit. They're either desperate to pander to bigots or are bigot themselves. Change this, now.
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 09:26 PM)
this is fucking indefensible, i don't care

youtube has no issue showing white supremacist youtubers to kids but two guys kissing?

fuck off.
jacobeid

Originally Posted by Fj0823

So,Separate but equal?

YouTube, get fucked. This is not cool at all.

Especially since they have no problem with all of the white supremacy shit on there.
excelsiorlef

Originally Posted by Volimar

Tegan and Sara @teganandsara 2m2 minutes ago

Fucked up.
EatinOlives
Harass A Bull?
Report to HR.
(03-20-2017, 09:40 PM)
Good article on this and why this """policy""" is a fucking tire fire.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...or-queer-youth

Particularly frustrating about the policy is the fact that explicitly bigoted content from more popular YouTube creators such as PewdiePie and JonTron isn't flagged by YouTube's restrictions. Children/teenagers get an increasingly large portion of their entertainment and information from YouTube, and the consequences of its Restricted Mode is a reinforcement of the belief that queer content is only suitable for adult consumption but racist blowhards bloviating about white nationalism is acceptable for kids.

This is monumentally stupid from YouTube, especially considering the current political climate surrounding social justice for the marginalized like the LGBTQ+ community.
The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(03-20-2017, 09:44 PM)
Restricted Mode is set to Off for me. That means nothing will be filtered right?

Anyway, YouTube has an uncanny ability to fuck things up with every change they make.

Originally Posted by Electric Eye

Mature content? I thought that stuff wasn't allowed?

Obviously you've never accidentally ended up on the "weird" side of YouTube. As long as no one reports it, it will usually stick around forever. It's usually difficult to end up there from YouTube itself, usually relying on a link from some other site, but once you're there, you're there. Thank goodness you can delete them from your history or else you end up with some weird suggestions creeping into your normal browsing habits.
Eumi
(03-20-2017, 09:49 PM)
'Sensitive Issues' being restricted, sure, whatever. Shitty but understandable.

I'm not sure what that has to do with LGBTQ+ though. I'd love to say they just mean things like videos discussing rape or other horrible things that may tangentially be related to LGBTQ+ might be restricted, but this message basically makes it seem like it's actual LGBTQ+ content that is being deemed restricted.

And if so, fuck right off with that shit. It helps no one but bigots. A lot of which seem to be on your payroll.
rrs
(03-20-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by The Real Abed

Restricted Mode is set to Off for me. That means nothing will be filtered right?

Anyway, YouTube has an uncanny ability to fuck things up with every change they make.

Obviously you've never accidentally ended up on the "weird" side of YouTube. As long as no one reports it, it will usually stick around forever. It's usually difficult to end up there from YouTube itself, usually relying on a link from some other site, but once you're there, you're there. Thank goodness you can delete them from your history or else you end up with some weird suggestions creeping into your normal browsing habits.

yeah, restricted mode off means everything is visible. But yeah, this just a massive fuckup without even taking into consideration real life prejudices invoked with it.

As for the weird side: there's been things I don't want to see again on YT
The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(03-20-2017, 10:07 PM)

Originally Posted by rrs

As for the weird side: there's been things I don't want to see again on YT

My girlfriend once spent hours watching pimple popping, blackhead removal and gross videos like it while logged into my account.

Took me a while to clear that shit from my suggestions. This was before I knew I could remove things from my history. I wish I could browse my history by date and go back and find them.
Delusibeta
(03-20-2017, 10:12 PM)
FYI, the two use cases for the Restricted Mode are:
1) schools (if there's one group of people who knows how to work around web restrictions, it's school kids), and
2) the YouTube Kids app (which can be fairly easily be circumvented by installing the regular old YouTube app, or by using a web browser. And, again, school kids).

In conclusion, I think this is much ado about nothing. The only thing of interest here is how the left is reacting to this lump of nothing in the exact same way as the far-right when they found out about this six-ish months ago.
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Delusibeta

FYI, the two use cases for the Restricted Mode are:
1) schools (if there's one group of people who knows how to work around web restrictions, it's school kids), and
2) the YouTube Kids app (which can be fairly easily be circumvented by installing the regular old YouTube app, or by using a web browser. And, again, school kids).

In conclusion, this is much ado about nothing. The only thing of interest here is how the left is reacting to this lump of nothing in the exact same way as the far-right when they found out about this six-ish months ago.

this isn't much ado about nothing when you can go and watch any number of heterosexual videos on youtube right now in the kids app.

stop.
combine42
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
I wonder what constitutes as one of these videos? I'm sure there is an algorithm behind it.

If the video contains mature content or topics, then sure restrict it I see no problem with that. It just requires a sign in. But if they are restricting a video of a person reviewing a pair of socks who happens to LGBT then thats kinda messed up.
Yekshemesh
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
Censoring LGBTQ content but alt-right conspiracies videos get free fucking reign to post whatever bullshit they peddle...
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by combine42

I wonder what constitutes as one of these videos? I'm sure there is an algorithm behind it.

If the video contains mature content or topics, then sure restrict it I see no problem with that. It just requires a sign in. But if they are restricting a video of a person reviewing a pair of socks who happens to LGBT then thats kinda messed up.

https://twitter.com/coolerpatrol/sta...14265693147138

ArchedThunder
Doing Toriyama's work.
(03-20-2017, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Yekshemesh

Censoring LGBTQ content but alt-right conspiracies videos get free fucking reign to post whatever bullshit they peddle...

Those get blocked too from what I understand.
Clov
(03-20-2017, 10:21 PM)
Absolutely disgusting. I hope that the backlash against this continues until Google rethinks this one. Shit like this makes me depressed.
excelsiorlef
(03-20-2017, 10:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

https://twitter.com/coolerpatrol/sta...14265693147138

Tried it myself and yep blocked under restricted mode...
ldcommando
(03-20-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by ArchedThunder

Those get blocked too from what I understand.

yep. Ran a test on steven crowder and all but his latest video are gone.
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

Tried it myself and yep blocked under restricted mode...

sounds like much ado about nothing
Prost
(03-20-2017, 10:26 PM)
Restricted mode is only ever used for kids, afaik. At least that's what my sister in law uses it for. It tends to block out stuff with sexual content, lots of swearing, or very violent videos. Pretty sure it's user flagged, so rather tame stuff will get blocked sometimes too.
excelsiorlef
(03-20-2017, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Prost

Restricted mode is only ever used for kids, afaik. At least that's what my sister in law uses it for. It tends to block out stuff with sexual content, lots of swearing, or very violent videos.

And a person petting a cat next to a drawing of a pride flag.
PopeReal
(03-20-2017, 10:28 PM)
To be fair that cat could be dangerous.
MarionCB
(03-20-2017, 10:31 PM)
This is incredibly gross. Yogscast Zoey was tweeting about this; she prides herself on being child-friendly and not swearing or anything. A lot of her videos are restricted seemingly just because of LGBT tags. There's one example where she did a solo playthrough video of a game and another video playing the same game with her girlfriend, and only the second one is restricted.

Worse, the videos she makes for queer teens to tell them it's OK to be themselves are restricted too, which is completely opposite to the message she's trying to convey.

edit: oh, apparently her entire channel disappears if you turn restricted mode on. Nice.
Last edited by MarionCB; 03-20-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Sir TapTap
(03-20-2017, 10:32 PM)
There really doesn't seem to be any value to "restricted mode" and I certainly hope basically no people would use it. Don't know why they're even attempting to go this route even before this dumb "LGBT content is inherently more sexual than hetero content" BS.

Before they do this, it'd be really nice if they let us manually indicate an age range without actually throwing an 18+ age gate and disabling ads, which is the only current option. Funny enough the only content that would genuinely necessitate their current age gate almost certainly isn't actually allowed on youtube to begin with.
Darryl M R
(03-20-2017, 10:35 PM)
Did LGBTQ content creators ask for this?
Volimar
(03-20-2017, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

And a person petting a cat next to a drawing of a pride flag.

And the perfectly safe music videos of lesbian sisters.
ArchedThunder
Doing Toriyama's work.
(03-20-2017, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

There really doesn't seem to be any value to "restricted mode" and I certainly hope basically no people would use it. Don't know why they're even attempting to go this route even before this dumb "LGBT content is inherently more sexual than hetero content" BS.

Before they do this, it'd be really nice if they let us manually indicate an age range without actually throwing an 18+ age gate and disabling ads, which is the only current option. Funny enough the only content that would genuinely necessitate their current age gate almost certainly isn't actually allowed on youtube to begin with.

I think the idea behind a "SFW" mode is fine, the implementation is just fucked. As many have suggested tag filtering would be soooo much better though.
Beefy
(03-20-2017, 10:53 PM)
More I think about this the more pissed I am.
Kinyou
(03-20-2017, 11:10 PM)
The restrictions seem so arbitrary it's entirely pointless
Stalwart
(03-20-2017, 11:20 PM)
You can exist LGBT, just do it in this subsection where I can click to mostly ignore you thanks!

Youtube needs a lot of blowback for this.
LucidMomentum
(03-20-2017, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Darryl M R

The advertisers did, most likely.
poppabk
(03-20-2017, 11:24 PM)

Originally Posted by _Ryo_

This bullshit needs to be fixed ASAP.

There's no reason to censor a lot of these things other than pure bigotry.

What's the saying 'dont attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence'. It's possible bigotry of users explains some of these videos being filtered, especially as the alt-right has apparently known about restricted mode for awhile, but I doubt that Google itself is doing anything other than applying algorithms. Pretty sure any 'kid friendly' filter on the market probably filters out stuff that isn't in need of filtering.
poppabk
(03-20-2017, 11:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Stalwart

You can exist LGBT, just do it in this subsection where I can click to mostly ignore you thanks!

Youtube needs a lot of blowback for this.

This little sub section known as all of YouTube? I doubt anyone posting here even knew of restricted mode until this news. I have young kids who sometimes watch videos on YouTube and I didn't know this existed.
Prodigal Son
(03-20-2017, 11:33 PM)
I'm trying to understand why LGBT content is as unviewable in restricted mode. Like, are cunts flagging the vids and causing them to be considered sensitive material? There's a bunch of other innocuous shit that somehow isn't visible in restricted mode either. This is really bizarre.

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum

The advertisers did, most likely.

Except this, in no way, affects advertisements? So why would they want that?
mugurumakensei
(03-20-2017, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Prodigal Son

I'm trying to understand why LGBT content is as unviewable in restricted mode. Like, are cunts flagging the vids and causing them to be considered sensitive material? There's a bunch of other innocuous shit that somehow isn't visible in restricted mode either. This is really bizarre.

Except this, in no way, affects advertisements? So why would they want that?

Pretty much exactly what you said. YouTube's alt-Reich members are marking LGBTQ videos as inappropriate content.

Also, yes, it doesn't affect ads.
tci
(03-20-2017, 11:45 PM)
Not sure what YT is trying to do here at all. There is no reason to restrict such content if it is not 18+. Which LGBTQ isn't.

Having children isolated from such content may do more harm than good. Talking about this and have it more open is the only way for society to increase acceptance of it. Sure kids can access this before they are mature enough to understand it. But it is up to parents to explain this to them.
Par Score
(03-20-2017, 11:46 PM)
This is absolutely, and unreservedly, despicable.

Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, it's all the same reprehensible, tech-bro, zero-social-responsibility, shit.

It always, always, leads to the same outcome: Vulnerable groups getting the shaft in favour of Nazi dick-squads.

Originally Posted by EatinOlives

Good article on this and why this """policy""" is a fucking tire fire.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...or-queer-youth

This is monumentally stupid from YouTube, especially considering the current political climate surrounding social justice for the marginalized like the LGBTQ+ community.

Particularly frustrating about the policy is the fact that explicitly bigoted content from more popular YouTube creators such as PewdiePie and JonTron isn't flagged by YouTube's restrictions. Children/teenagers get an increasingly large portion of their entertainment and information from YouTube, and the consequences of its Restricted Mode is a reinforcement of the belief that queer content is only suitable for adult consumption but racist blowhards bloviating about white nationalism is acceptable for kids.

It's just irredeemably gross on every level.
Last edited by Par Score; 03-20-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Kthulhu
(03-21-2017, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Darryl M R

You don't ask of YouTube. YouTube just does.

I would be surprised if YouTube reverses this. Amazon really needs to push Twitch as an alternative to YouTube, otherwise YouTube's monopoly will remain for the foreseeable future.
subrock
(03-21-2017, 12:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

Really youtube.

This is what needs filtering?

Really?

no kidding. I'll take a fucking hate speech or clickbait filter if we're going down this road.
ArchedThunder
Doing Toriyama's work.
(03-21-2017, 12:27 AM)

Originally Posted by subrock

no kidding. I'll take a fucking hate speech or clickbait filter if we're going down this road.

Hate speech is filtered in restricted mode.
Monocle
Banned
(03-21-2017, 12:38 AM)
Get dicked, bigots. Youtube needs to fix this, no excuses.
Snagret
(03-21-2017, 12:39 AM)
What the fuck youtube