• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

vsaintlo
(03-20-2017, 06:17 AM)
I now understand that he has the ability to draw ambient energy from another dimension called Punch.
What confuses me is the inconsistency of the way his powers are displayed. Sometimes they are called concussive blasts so I assumed just raw kinetic energy. But in X-Men: Apocalypse and in many panels and cartoons I am certain his blast appear to emit heat or at least leave things on fire.

So what is Gaf are they more like lasers or just a raw energy beam? Or both depending on the writer?
Last edited by vsaintlo; 03-20-2017 at 06:26 AM.
The Kree
(03-20-2017, 06:20 AM)

Originally Posted by vsaintlo

I now understand that he has the ability to draw ambient energy from another dimension.
What confuses me is the inconsistency of the way his powers are displayed. Sometimes they are called concussive blasts so I assumed just raw kinetic energy. But in X-Men: Apocalypse and in many panels and cartoons I am certain his blast appear to emit heat or at leave leave things on fire.

So what is Gaf are they more like lasers or just a raw energy beam? Or both depending on the writer?

It's concussive. Whenever u see it burning something, they've fucked up. It's not hot.
hodayathink
(03-20-2017, 06:20 AM)

Originally Posted by vsaintlo

I now understand that he has the ability to draw ambient energy from another dimension.
What confuses me is the inconsistency of the way his powers are displayed. Sometimes they are called concussive blasts so I assumed just raw kinetic energy. But in X-Men: Apocalypse and in many panels and cartoons I am certain his blast appear to emit heat or at leave leave things on fire.

I believe that the punch dimension is a relatively new thing (I think he was originally powered by the sun), so that would explain why it's been inconsistent beforehand. As for X-Men Apocalypse, the answer to that is that, well, it's Fox.
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(03-20-2017, 06:21 AM)
how do they work? like this

"damn Summers"

:3

Last edited by Rhaknar; 03-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Cyan
Red
(03-20-2017, 06:22 AM)
The... punch dimension. Ok. I guess that at least explains why they're red.
massoluk
(03-20-2017, 06:22 AM)

Originally Posted by The Kree

It's concussive. Whenever u see it burning something, they've fucked up. It's not hot.

But didn't Cyclops burned Wolverine to a crisp in early Ultimate X-Men or did I misremember?
Skeletron
(03-20-2017, 06:23 AM)
His eyes are like a dimensional rift to a universe of pure energy, or something.
Prost
(03-20-2017, 06:24 AM)
Comes out of the optic blast dimension. Or something.
JSoup
(03-20-2017, 06:25 AM)
I recall it being offhandedly mentioned somewhere that his eyes aren't drawing in power so much as they are literal portals to a micro-dimension that is made of pure energy.
Strangelove77

Originally Posted by Skeletron

His eyes are like a dimensional rift to a universe of pure energy, or something.

You gotta be shittin' me...
Renekton

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

Behold!
shoreu

Originally Posted by Strangelove77

Lol that's correct
Zyzyxxz
(03-20-2017, 06:26 AM)
Its that spiral energy.
Dead
well not really...yet
Punches from the Punch dimension

Much like Wolverine's healing power coming from meat from the meat dimension.
Vic_Viper

how do they work? like this

"damn Summers"

Where are these from? Astonishing?
.JayZii
(03-20-2017, 06:28 AM)
They're concussive, but does friction apply to things at the edge of the blast? Couldn't that cause things to burn or catch fire?
echoshifting
Banned
(03-20-2017, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Vic_Viper

Ayup
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(03-20-2017, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Vic_Viper

yup, that run was stupid good.

Echo tell him how good that run was.
maruchan
(03-20-2017, 06:30 AM)
:3

[/QUOTE]

technically isn't havoc also immuned to this blast because of some bull shit thing about mutant powers having no affect to family members, which makes no sense
echoshifting
Banned
(03-20-2017, 06:34 AM)

yup, that run was stupid good.

Echo tell him how good that run was.

The Silver
(03-20-2017, 06:36 AM)
It's a power bestowed upon those that have acheived full rightness.
Skeletron
(03-20-2017, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Strangelove77

Yeah...anything beyond that is just overthinking it.
The Kree
(03-20-2017, 06:40 AM)

Originally Posted by massoluk

But didn't Cyclops burned Wolverine to a crisp in early Ultimate X-Men or did I misremember?

I dunno, I never read that shit.
Hazmat
(03-20-2017, 06:40 AM)
He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(03-20-2017, 06:45 AM)
All you need to remember is that anyone who treats it like a hot laser hasn't done their homework.
Pop-O-Matic
(03-20-2017, 06:47 AM)
The Punch Dimension is something from the first edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe that was written with a bunch of pseudo-science bullshit that either was completely ridiculous or just made their heroes too OP, and is generally considered non-canonical and only gets brought up nowadays as one of those pieces of "dumb comics trivia" that people on the internet love to throw around. The official explanation for his powers (which pre-dates the Handbook) is that his body is a solar battery like Superman's. This is also why all of Scott and Jean's Bad Future Kids are ridiculously OP (ridiculous power set + easy source of energy = broken).
PixelatedBookake
(03-20-2017, 06:48 AM)
Him and Havok share a dimension (some may call it punch) in which they get their powers from.
Steeped in a Sea of Games
(03-20-2017, 06:49 AM)
Originally, the explanation really was that he absorbed sunlight and that's why he could only use his blasts for a limited time. Now they use the punch dimension. He still gets tired when he blasts too much, but I never really understood why. I mean, he's literally always firing at full blast, it's just blocked by his glasses/visor.
vsaintlo
(03-20-2017, 06:49 AM)

Originally Posted by thetrin

All you need to remember is that anyone who treats it like a hot laser hasn't done their homework.

Fair lol
Volimar
(03-20-2017, 06:51 AM)
In the 90s cartoon, when he's kidnapped to be the king of the morlocks he says his power is fueled from the sun.
Steeped in a Sea of Games
(03-20-2017, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by PixelatedBookake

Him and Havok share a dimension (some may call it punch) in which they get their powers from.

Pretty sure Havok still gets his power from cosmic radiation, no?
EVO
(03-20-2017, 06:53 AM)
Cyclops would make for an awesome VR game.
The Silver
(03-20-2017, 06:54 AM)
Everyone let's take a moment to talk about the 3rd brother, Vulcan, what the hell is that lunatic doing right now.
George Oscar Bluth II
(03-20-2017, 06:55 AM)

earvcunanan
(03-20-2017, 06:55 AM)
Was this "punch" dimension ever explored in the comics? And is Cyclops' source of energy from there infinite?
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 06:57 AM)

Havok doesn't, he absorbs cosmic and solar energy like a normal super
EYEL1NER
(03-20-2017, 06:58 AM)
Hopefully the punch dimension stuff gets changed again yet another time in a future Marvel handbook.
sarcastor
(03-20-2017, 06:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Steeped in a Sea of Games

He still gets tired when he blasts too much, but I never really understood why. I mean, he's literally always firing at full blast, it's just blocked by his glasses/visor.

you can't really use logic with comic books.

why don't his enemies just make armor out of ruby quartz and then just shoot him with a gun?
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 06:59 AM)

Originally Posted by earvcunanan

Was this "punch" dimension ever explored in the comics? And is Cyclops' source of energy from there infinite?

I don't read anything guessing the whole punch dimension so such a dumb and over complicated answer that writers don't bother with it. While it is the "official explanation" it seems like as far as other writers concerned he just shoot eye beams no need to make it complicated.
shawnbuddy
(03-20-2017, 06:59 AM)

Originally Posted by caliph95

Then why do they cancel out each other's powers?
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(03-20-2017, 07:00 AM)
I love this thread. As a kid, I used to get so amped when Cyclops would take the visor off. Either literally or figuratively. That blast is humongous and levels everything.
Massive Duck, C.M.
They seriously came up with a punch dimension

Lmao
sleverfunk

Originally Posted by George Oscar Bluth II

Lmao. Whatever happened to mags?
PixelatedBookake
(03-20-2017, 07:01 AM)

For real??? Then why aren't they affected by each others powers? I always figured that was the reason.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 07:01 AM)

Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

Then why do they cancel out each other's powers?

Because comics are dumb as the people who wrote that explanation or writers are ignoring the punch dimension
PixelatedBookake
(03-20-2017, 07:02 AM)

Because comics are dumb as the people who wrote that explanation or writers are ignoring the punch dimension

All I want is consistency from the punch dimension. Is that too much to ask?
A-V-B
(03-20-2017, 07:03 AM)
If Cyclops' eyes have the power to open portals to another dimension, could another mutant who can manipulate dimensional portals boost his power or open his eyes to other dimensions of energy?
The Silver
(03-20-2017, 07:06 AM)

All I want is consistency from the punch dimension. Is that too much to ask?

yes
DrSlek
(03-20-2017, 07:07 AM)
Cyclops is great, but he's no Flyclops.

caliph95
(03-20-2017, 07:09 AM)

Originally Posted by The Silver

Everyone let's take a moment to talk about the 3rd brother, Vulcan, what the hell is that lunatic doing right now.

Isn't Vulcan still dead and forgotten even though he used to be the emperor of the galaxy.