• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(03-20-2017, 07:10 AM)
MattKeil's Avatar
The entire "punch dimension" thing was invented to explain why firing the blast doesn't snap Cyclops' neck. It's as good as anything.

Originally Posted by PixelatedBookake

For real??? Then why aren't they affected by each others powers? I always figured that was the reason.

Presumably they absorb similar radiation as part of their power sets, and their genetic similarity means they are able to process each other's output well enough to have no ill effects.
eggandI
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:13 AM)
eggandI's Avatar

Originally Posted by Renekton

Behold!

Optic sweep!
Cheerilee
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:18 AM)
Cheerilee's Avatar

Originally Posted by maruchan

technically isn't havoc also immuned to this blast because of some bull shit thing about mutant powers having no affect to family members, which makes no sense

In the old explanation, Cyclops absorbs solar radiation, while Havok absorbs cosmic radiation.

While inside their bodies, the energy gets processed and transformed, and comes out as two different powers in two different forms. Cyclops has "Optic Blasts" which come exclusively out of his eyes (and he has inner-eyelids to control them, but they were damaged when he fell on his head as a child), and they seem like lasers but they're not, they're some sort of strange punching force that behaves like a laser. While Havok has energy waves that can come out of his body in any direction, and he can focus and control them using his mind, but they always make circles of hot plasma.

Both Cyclops and Havok have the ability to absorb their own shots. Like if you set up a portal to have Cyclops shoot himself in the back of the head, it would give him an instant reload of the shot he just fired. Same with Havok.

Since their powers have a similar source (cosmic/solar radiation), and they both have the same internal processing and reload ability, and they have very similar DNA since they're brothers, their powers are considered to be "close enough" to use their reload ability on each other.

In the daytime, Cyclops recharges faster, and he can shoot Havok to give him a quick reload. At night, Havok charges faster, and he can shoot Cyclops to give him a quick reload.

Considering everything else about how their mutant powers work (punch dimension LOL), this interchangability is the least crazy thing.
Steeped in a Sea of Games
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:19 AM)
Steeped in a Sea of Games's Avatar

Originally Posted by sarcastor

you can't really use logic with comic books.

why don't his enemies just make armor out of ruby quartz and then just shoot him with a gun?

Cameron Hodge did that back in X-factor.





Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

Then why do they cancel out each other's powers?

The original explanation worked with Cyclops' sun absorbing powers. Both brothers absorbed energy to create their blasts, so they in essence would both just be a battery for the other if blasted.


Originally Posted by caliph95

Isn't Vulcan still dead and forgotten even though he used to be the emperor of the galaxy.

Still blown up by the nega-bomb or whatever it was Black Bolt set off that opened a crack into the cancerverse.
Frozenprince
Banned
(03-20-2017, 07:22 AM)

Originally Posted by echoshifting

I will get a god damn to me my X-Men in a movie one day.

It will happen.
Septimus Prime
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:23 AM)
Septimus Prime's Avatar
Can it shave Superman?
Steeped in a Sea of Games
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:24 AM)
Steeped in a Sea of Games's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septimus Prime

Can it shave Superman?

It can blow up a mountain, so, maybe? He can narrow it down to a pinpoint beam.
caliph95
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:25 AM)
caliph95's Avatar
Sorry guys it seems they retconned the punch dimension:
http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-438/

Anyhow, in the updated version of the Handbook that ran in 1986, they corrected the previous edition, stating instead:

Cyclops apparently somehow metabolizes sunlight, and presumably starlight as well, in the process of generating the force bams.

Jorok Goldblade
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:27 AM)
Jorok Goldblade's Avatar

Originally Posted by hodayathink

I believe that the punch dimension is a relatively new thing (I think he was originally powered by the sun), so that would explain why it's been inconsistent beforehand. As for X-Men Apocalypse, the answer to that is that, well, it's Fox.

I think the main explanation is that the energy for the blasts is extra dimensional, but the portals in his eyes are solar powered.
- J - D -
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:30 AM)
- J - D -'s Avatar
"punch" dimension is the dumbest name for a dimension.
Ri'Orius
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:35 AM)
Ri'Orius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

Did they ever explain what's happening here? Did the earlier encounter with Cassandra Nova (IIRC) that supposedly broke his powers actually temporarily upgrade them (by giving him control)? Did he develop control a while ago and just didn't have the confidence to go without the ruby quartz? Was Whedon just rule-of-cooling his way through the run without regard to continuity (ain't even mad if this is the case, btw: dude pulled it off)?
BKatastrophe
Banned
(03-20-2017, 07:38 AM)

Originally Posted by hodayathink

I believe that the punch dimension is a relatively new thing (I think he was originally powered by the sun), so that would explain why it's been inconsistent beforehand. As for X-Men Apocalypse, the answer to that is that, well, it's Fox.

He still absorbs solar energy

Originally Posted by .JayZii

They're concussive, but does friction apply to things at the edge of the blast? Couldn't that cause things to burn or catch fire?

Do you think that's ever been brought up?

Originally Posted by - J - D -

"punch" dimension is the dumbest name for a dimension.

It's not the official name for it, but what the fuck else are we going to call it?
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(03-20-2017, 07:38 AM)
Rentahamster's Avatar
So Cyclops is like a Bulbasaur?
caliph95
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:40 AM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rentahamster

So Cyclops is like a Bulbasaur?

So is a lot of superheoes, absorbing solar energy seems to be one of the more common explanation partly due to number of superman clones and expies.
WhiteRabbitEXE
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:41 AM)
WhiteRabbitEXE's Avatar

Originally Posted by vsaintlo

I now understand that he has the ability to draw ambient energy from another dimension called Punch.

Huh, so there is a bs explanation for that. I always wondered how the hell he did have to eat a 50-course meal before each blast, lol.
PixelatedBookake
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:42 AM)
PixelatedBookake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ri'Orius

Did they ever explain what's happening here? Did the earlier encounter with Cassandra Nova (IIRC) that supposedly broke his powers actually temporarily upgrade them (by giving him control)? Did he develop control a while ago and just didn't have the confidence to go without the ruby quartz? Was Whedon just rule-of-cooling his way through the run without regard to continuity (ain't even mad if this is the case, btw: dude pulled it off)?

I thought it was that because Emma did a thing-a-ma-jigger to his brain to help get over his trauma from the plane crash.
BKatastrophe
Banned
(03-20-2017, 07:47 AM)

Originally Posted by PixelatedBookake

I thought it was that because Emma did a thing-a-ma-jigger to his brain to help get over his trauma from the plane crash.

Yeah she put his ass in a coma and that kept him from using his blasts entirely, and then she altered it so he had full control. She couldn't completely maintain it though. Jean also suppressed his blasts telekinetically at one point.
Last edited by BKatastrophe; 03-20-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Screaming Meat
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:52 AM)
Screaming Meat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frozenprince

I will get a god damn to me my X-Men in a movie one day.

It will happen.

My personal favourite use so far:

BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:54 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar
his sundays best

optic blast
itwasTuesday
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:54 AM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar
not hot, but friction is a thing. so heat is possible.
itwasTuesday
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:55 AM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

his sundays best

optic blast

that's war machine
What did he mean by this?
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:57 AM)
What did he mean by this?'s Avatar
Energy is conserved yeah monamie? So ol Gambit must get his energy from the energy dimension too else using his abilities must tire him out immensely
Tizoc
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:58 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by vsaintlo

I now understand that he has the ability to draw ambient energy from another dimension called Punch.
What confuses me is the inconsistency of the way his powers are displayed. Sometimes they are called concussive blasts so I assumed just raw kinetic energy. But in X-Men: Apocalypse and in many panels and cartoons I am certain his blast appear to emit heat or at least leave things on fire.

So what is Gaf are they more like lasers or just a raw energy beam? Or both depending on the writer?

They initially wete intended to be 'eye punches' and i personally liked that and enjoy joking about it
If they were changed to laser like blasts then whatevs i would still joke about the eye punch thing :p
BreezyLimbo
Member
(03-20-2017, 07:58 AM)
BreezyLimbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

that's war machine

NO

THAT'S IRON MAN

What did cyclops say....he said something equally silly...Optic Sweet...do it....hmmm....I forget.
Tizoc
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:01 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Fyi even capcom went with them being a force/concussive blast in the fighting games
Play xvsf or xmen cota and you will see his optic blasts colliding an opponent's body
Ri'Orius
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:02 AM)
Ri'Orius's Avatar

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

Energy is conserved yeah monamie? So ol Gambit must get his energy from the energy dimension too else using his abilities must tire him out immensely

He gets his energy from the cards themselves. e=mc^2, chere.
echoshifting
(03-20-2017, 08:03 AM)
echoshifting's Avatar

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

Energy is conserved yeah monamie? So ol Gambit must get his energy from the energy dimension too else using his abilities must tire him out immensely

This always happen to Gambit after a mission, chere
Septimus Prime
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:05 AM)
Septimus Prime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Fyi even capcom went with them being a force/concussive blast in the fighting games
Play xvsf or xmen cota and you will see his optic blasts colliding an opponent's body

So when he does Gene Splice, he phases in and out of the Punch dimension. That's why he's invincible on the way up.
PixelatedBookake
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:12 AM)
PixelatedBookake's Avatar
Okay wait a second, so if Cyclops mutant power is to have access to this dimension's energy through his eyes, does that mean this "punch dimension" has always existed for no reason and Cyclops' eyes are the only passage between the two dimensions?
jurgen
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:13 AM)
jurgen's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrSlek

Cyclops is great, but he's no Flyclops.

Thank god that someone else remembers this.
Fancyarcher
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:16 AM)
The Punch Dimension is such a silly sounding concept, but hey that's comics for you.

Originally Posted by caliph95

Sorry guys it seems they retconned the punch dimension:
http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-438/


Of course, they did.
Last edited by Fancyarcher; 03-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.
itwasTuesday
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:19 AM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

NO

THAT'S IRON MAN

What did cyclops say....he said something equally silly...Optic Sweet...do it....hmmm....I forget.

cyke said behold optic blast and cyclone kick and thats all he ever said ever. every single match
echoshifting
(03-20-2017, 08:20 AM)
echoshifting's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixelatedBookake

Okay wait a second, so if Cyclops mutant power is to have access to this dimension's energy through his eyes, does that mean this "punch dimension" has always existed for no reason and Cyclops' eyes are the only passage between the two dimensions?

Yes, the Marvel omni/multiverse is teeming with weird dimensions like that though
kame-sennin
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:22 AM)
kame-sennin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hodayathink

I believe that the punch dimension is a relatively new thing (I think he was originally powered by the sun),

Dumbest change ever. Cyclops being solar powered was interesting, and a perfectly fine explanation for why his beams were so strong. A portal to another dimension is just stupid, and calling it the "punch dimension" is worse.

Edit:

Last edited by kame-sennin; 03-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.
BKatastrophe
Banned
(03-20-2017, 08:28 AM)

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

Energy is conserved yeah monamie? So ol Gambit must get his energy from the energy dimension too else using his abilities must tire him out immensely

He takes kinetic energy and charges objects with them. Then they go boom. So the potential energy that an object has, he then turns it into kinetic energy all at once, which is why it explodes.

COMICS!

Originally Posted by kame-sennin

Dumbest change ever. Cyclops being solar powered was interesting, and a perfectly fine explanation for why his beams were so strong. A portal to another dimension is just stupid, and calling it the "punch dimension" is worse.

Again, not the official name. People just call it that. The dimension has no name. It's just a dimension full of unlimited kinetic energy.

And he's still solar-powered.
FantasticMrFoxdie
Mumber
(03-20-2017, 08:33 AM)
FantasticMrFoxdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVO

Cyclops would make for an awesome VR game.


EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME FOOTAGE:


GrizzleBoy
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:33 AM)
For ppl saying a concussive blast shouldn't create heat.

Wouldn't a sustained concussive pressure of such magnitude undoubtedly create tonnes of instantaneous friction?

Also consider this. A jet will create heat from the shock wave created after simply breaking the speed of sound. Cyclops' blasts seemingly travel much faster than that. Speed of light maybe?

Another thing to consider is how a space vehicle will get incredibly hot as the speed it travels at begins to interact with the atmosphere until it slows down. It's possible that the energy coming out of his visor has the same effect as it leaves another dimension and comes into contact with earths atmosphere.

I don't know what I'm doing.

/leaves thread
TissueBox
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:42 AM)
TissueBox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cyan

The... punch dimension. Ok. I guess that at least explains why they're red.

Eeegggzactly.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(03-20-2017, 08:49 AM)
Haly's Avatar
So why can't you make a shield out of whatever his visor is made out of to negate all of that punch?
PeskyToaster
(03-20-2017, 08:50 AM)
PeskyToaster's Avatar
The phrase "punch dimension" embodies everything wrong with comics.
Caj814
Member
(03-20-2017, 08:53 AM)
Caj814's Avatar

Username1198
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:03 AM)
Username1198's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazmat

He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.

This is my exact understanding.

Punch dimension? Wtf that sounds dumb.
kame-sennin
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:15 AM)
kame-sennin's Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

Again, not the official name. People just call it that. The dimension has no name. It's just a dimension full of unlimited kinetic energy.

And he's still solar-powered.

It sounds like the whole explanation is from on crappy version of the marvel handbook that's since been re-reteconned.
sirap
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:24 AM)
sirap's Avatar


Punch dimension is dope I don't care what you guys think.
EYEL1NER
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:29 AM)
EYEL1NER's Avatar

Originally Posted by caliph95

Sorry guys it seems they retconned the punch dimension:
http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-438/

But apparently the 2004 Official Marvel Universe handbook retconned the 1986 retcon of the 1983 retcon with the following text:

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless, ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as interdimensional apertures between this universe and another. Cyclops’ body constanty absorbs ambient energy, such as sunlight, from his environment into his body’s cells, which allows him to open the apertures. Cyclops’ mind generates a psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures

Eh, someone in the future is bound to think that is a stupid description and retcon it again.

EDIT: Oh, your link kept crashing on my iPad but I used reader view and see that they even pointed out the above info about the 2004 version of the handbook.
Last edited by EYEL1NER; 03-20-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Maximo
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:31 AM)
Maximo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skeletron

His eyes are like a dimensional rift to a universe of pure energy, or something.

Just when you think comic books couldn't get more strange.
Mista Koo
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:05 AM)
Mista Koo's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVO

Cyclops would make for an awesome VR game.

Here's a game jam game that is basically that (this was the theme for the jam).
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(03-20-2017, 10:10 AM)

Originally Posted by The Kree

It's concussive. Whenever u see it burning something, they've fucked up. It's not hot.

Well friction would increase the surface temperature and that could lead to fire.
Randam
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:35 AM)
Randam's Avatar

Originally Posted by MattKeil

The entire "punch dimension" thing was invented to explain why firing the blast doesn't snap Cyclops' neck. It's as good as anything.


Why did people start asking that?
NHarmonic.
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:47 AM)
NHarmonic.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazmat

He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.

Then probably every comic is ruined already, tbh. Never forget spidey's radioactive semen killing mary jane.

Thread Tools