• @NeoGAF

SomedayTheFire
(03-20-2017, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Randam

Why did people start asking that?

recoil?
Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 10:49 AM)
There's a being sitting in the dimension, it's just surrounded by red energy. Whenever Cyclops use his optic blast, it just turn on the switch that open the portal so the energy can pass through. Whenever the portal open aka his eyes. The energy get sucks out like a vacuum of air.

He spent years mastering how to control the intensity with the help of the visor and over time he become less worn out after using it.

I'm kidding about the top part

I love Cyclops, my favorite mutant.
Demy
(03-20-2017, 10:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Renekton

Behold!

haha!
SiegfriedFM
(03-20-2017, 11:27 AM)
The better question is: how can he see anything? Also, if he glances to the side while wearing glasses, will he fire a beam?
Keasar
(03-20-2017, 11:35 AM)
He draws energy from another dimension.

Okay, I can roll with that.

His eyes are small portals to that dimension.

Can still deal with that I guess.

It's called the "Punch dimension".

Now you're just fucking with me.
Cheerilee
(03-20-2017, 11:58 AM)

Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy

For ppl saying a concussive blast shouldn't create heat.

Wouldn't a sustained concussive pressure of such magnitude undoubtedly create tonnes of instantaneous friction?

Also consider this. A jet will create heat from the shock wave created after simply breaking the speed of sound. Cyclops' blasts seemingly travel much faster than that. Speed of light maybe?

Another thing to consider is how a space vehicle will get incredibly hot as the speed it travels at begins to interact with the atmosphere until it slows down. It's possible that the energy coming out of his visor has the same effect as it leaves another dimension and comes into contact with earths atmosphere.

I don't know what I'm doing.

/leaves thread

Cyclops' Optic Blasts are not a traditional concussive blast. They look like red laser, but when the light hits you it's not laser, it's punch.

The only known kryptonite against these weird punch rays is ruby quartz, a red-tinted transparent mineral. Not rubies, it has to be quartz. And it can't be clear quartz or blue quartz or green quartz, it has to be red quartz. When the punch beams hit this one extremely particular mineral, *poof*, nothing happens (not even so much as a poof). The punch ray is immediately and completely negated. It doesn't even need to be thick, tiny little ruby quartz contact lenses are enough to shut down Cyclops' mountain-crushing power.

One would assume that red lenses would block all light except red light (red light would be allowed to pass safely through red quartz), but no, ruby quartz blocks Cyclops' red punch rays.

It's a mistake to try and strictly apply real world physics to superpowers that flagrantly defy the laws of physics. One of the often-stated details of Cyclops' Optic Beams is that they have little-to-no heat.

Originally Posted by SiegfriedFM

The better question is: how can he see anything? Also, if he glances to the side while wearing glasses, will he fire a beam?

When Cyclops' ruby quartz lenses are closed, all he can see through them is shades of red. When his ruby quartz lenses are open (aka, he's shooting something), his red-colored optic blast ensures that the only thing he can see is shades of red. He can only ever really experience one color. Sucks to be him.

He wears custom wraparound shades (or a wraparound battle visor with a trigger), because yes, if he could see out the side of his glasses, he would be blasting beams out the side of his glasses.

Originally Posted by PixelatedBookake

Okay wait a second, so if Cyclops mutant power is to have access to this dimension's energy through his eyes, does that mean this "punch dimension" has always existed for no reason and Cyclops' eyes are the only passage between the two dimensions?

Dimensions in the Marvel Universe are infinite, and many mutants have their own personal dimensions where the laws of physics don't apply, as a shortcut for the fact that most/all mutants defy the laws of physics.

Wolverine has super fast healing, and his body consumes food to rebuild himself, so he has to eat a lot of food to keep up. But he's only eating because being hungry is very uncomfortable. Wolverine can't starve to death. Being hungry won't stop his healing. Once his body runs out of food, he draws food from the meat dimension (it goes straight into his healing factor, and doesn't stop off in his stomach, so he gets to stay hungry).
Triscuitable
(03-20-2017, 12:00 PM)
This thread is an experience, even as someone who's in the know on the long-debated "punch lasers" aspect of Cyclops' optic blasts.

Originally Posted by Cheerilee

Once his body runs out of food, he draws food from the meat dimension (it goes straight into his healing factor, and doesn't stop off in his stomach, so he gets to stay hungry).

Picturing a universe of mutton.
DrBo42
(03-20-2017, 12:07 PM)
You could argue that the sheer force of these beams creating friction with a surface could cause it to heat and (depending on the material) actually catch fire.

I actually watched a semi drive through a guardrail on the highway a few years ago and the spot it broke through was visibly red hot on either side from the friction. I imagine his beams acting like that.
Monocle
(03-20-2017, 12:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

how do they work? like this

"damn Summers"

:3

Awww yeah.
Kilvin
(03-20-2017, 12:12 PM)
The punch dimension? God damn comics can be so fucking stupid sometimes...
Thelonelykoopa
(03-20-2017, 12:13 PM)
Waiting for a Cyclops/One Punch Man crossover.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 12:14 PM)

Wolverine has super fast healing, and his body consumes food to rebuild himself, so he has to eat a lot of food to keep up. But he's only eating because being hungry is very uncomfortable. Wolverine can't starve to death. Being hungry won't stop his healing. Once his body runs out of food, he draws food from the meat dimension (it goes straight into his healing factor, and doesn't stop off in his stomach, so he gets to stay hungry).

Ok seriously is the meat dimension an actual thing or is it a joke due to the punch dimension and the pym dimension. Because in comics i can't tell
dan2026
(03-20-2017, 12:16 PM)
You guys realise it's never officially been called the 'punch dimension', right?

That's something fans came up with to take the piss.

To be honest a man constantly connected to another dimension of pure energy that leaks out through his eyes, is kinda cool and disturbing.
I would say it's something Grant Morrison would come up with but it defiantly predates him.
Cheerilee
(03-20-2017, 12:22 PM)

Originally Posted by caliph95

Ok seriously is the meat dimension an actual thing or is it a joke due to the punch dimension and the pym dimension. Because in comics i can't tell

I think it was a logical conclusion based on the existence of the punch dimension, and fact that Wolverine burns food like crazy, yet if he stops eating it's impossible for him to starve, and he still keeps on healing. He's creating mass from nothing.

Infinite dimensions are the solution to many/all of the physics problems of mutants.
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(03-20-2017, 12:26 PM)
Wait wait wait. Are you people telling me....there's a MEAT dimension?
Cheerilee
(03-20-2017, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Jason's Ultimatum

Infinite dimensions. Infinite.

That means that there has to be at least one dimension where instead of a big bang creating a constantly-expanding universe of nothingness, there was a big bang that created a constantly-expanding universe-sized blob of solid mutton.

That's just science.
Proteus
BOSS
(03-20-2017, 12:34 PM)
When did they establish this whole Punch thing?
ZeroX03
(03-20-2017, 12:34 PM)
Where the fuck is Slayven

I don't trust anyone else to know this mumbo jumbo
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(03-20-2017, 12:41 PM)

Infinite dimensions. Infinite.

That means that there has to be at least one dimension where instead of a big bang creating a constantly-expanding universe of nothingness, there was a big bang that created a constantly-expanding universe-sized blob of solid mutton.

That's just science.

CaptainofIndustry
(03-20-2017, 12:52 PM)
Thank you all for this thread.
foxdvd
(03-20-2017, 12:54 PM)

Originally Posted by FantasticMrFoxdie

EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME FOOTAGE:

that already came out on the Virtual Boy...
davidwhangchoi
(03-20-2017, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by hodayathink

I believe that the punch dimension is a relatively new thing (I think he was originally powered by the sun), so that would explain why it's been inconsistent beforehand. As for X-Men Apocalypse, the answer to that is that, well, it's Fox.

yeah, was going to say the same thing. he was powered by the sun, and Havoc.
Triscuitable
(03-20-2017, 01:05 PM)

I know, right? I'd never have to worry about empty carbs again with all that delicious mutton just floating about.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(03-20-2017, 01:14 PM)

Mass doesn't grow on trees

Originally Posted by ZeroX03

Where the fuck is Slayven

I don't trust anyone else to know this mumbo jumbo

I do sleep
Sou Da
(03-20-2017, 01:17 PM)
They activate when a certain amount of sunlight gets into his eyes. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
OmniGamer
Hard Chargin' Capitalism
(03-20-2017, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Pop-O-Matic

This is also why all of Scott and Jean's Bad Future Kids are ridiculously OP (ridiculous power set + easy source of energy = broken).

Scott and Jean's kids are incredibly powerful because Jean is incredibly powerful. Omega Mom=Omega Kids...In that equation, Scott is basically a glorified sperm sample, Alpha enough not to dilute Jean's immense psi-powers. It's why her powerset is the one that is passed on so frequently, her genes dominate.

Like Mother...Like Son...

Angelus Errare
this looks like one of those Final Fantasy games lionhead always makes
(03-20-2017, 01:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Randam

Why did people start asking that?

Newton's 3rd Law.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 01:24 PM)

Originally Posted by OmniGamer

Scott and Jean's kids are incredibly powerful because Jean is incredibly powerful. Omega Mom=Omega Kids...In that equation, Scott is basically a glorified sperm sample, Alpha enough not to dilute Jean's immense psi-powers. It's why her powerset is the one that is passed on so frequently, her genes dominate.

In comparison Cyclops and Emma's kid is is nothing to write home about:
Lagamorph
(03-20-2017, 01:27 PM)
If Cyclops is powered by the sun why does he wear a costume that blocks everything but his chin from being exposed to sunlight?
The Kree
(03-20-2017, 01:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Lagamorph

If Cyclops is powered by the sun why does he wear a costume that blocks everything but his chin from being exposed to sunlight?

It's not just the sun. It's ambient energy in general. His clothes don't do anything to stop his body from absorbing it.
sixteen-bit
(03-20-2017, 01:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Cyan

The... punch dimension. Ok. I guess that at least explains why they're red.

it's made out of kool-aid man's flesh
gutter_trash
(03-20-2017, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by kame-sennin

Dumbest change ever. Cyclops being solar powered was interesting, and a perfectly fine explanation for why his beams were so strong. A portal to another dimension is just stupid, and calling it the "punch dimension" is worse.

Edit:

#teamPunchDimension
Rayven_king
it's winter? hit the beach
(03-20-2017, 01:58 PM)

In comparison Cyclops and Emma's kid is is nothing to write home about:

I liked ruby summers :'(
Moose Biscuits
(03-20-2017, 02:00 PM)
Hate the term "concussive energy". So it's 'solidified energy', is it? So Cyclops essentially fires big red rods out of his eyes.

How do they dissipate, what do they turn into? What's their range? Do they dissipate at all, or are there big red rods flying through space forever?

How fast do they travel? They must have mass, otherwise they wouldn't have any effect on anything they hit. If they have mass, they can't travel at the speed of light otherwise Cyclops would basically be a black hole generator.
nded
(03-20-2017, 02:03 PM)

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

NO

THAT'S IRON MAN

Nah, that's War Machine. Tony just stole it for MvC3.
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 02:06 PM)

The existence of Vulcan kind of blows this theory apart though.

Even Havok is crazy powerful when supplied with sufficient cosmic energy to absorb. He's MUCH more powerful in Space.

Sinister has been tracking the summers family since the 1800s, and was willing to make all kinds of deals to get his hands on about a thousand years' worth of future Summers clan DNA. No one cares about anyone in the Grey bloodline except for Jean, and few people know or even remember that the Shi'ar wiped out jean's immediate family in revenge for the dark Phoenix business.

Jean is crazy powerful, but the potential is locked up in Scott's bloodline.

Also, no one really knows how strong Ruby Summers is, since she won't use her TP at risk of rapid aging and relies on optic blasts instead.
Tizoc
(03-20-2017, 02:07 PM)
Man I wanna play some X-Men CotA and XvSF all of a sudden, Disney and Fox, pls.

Originally Posted by Septimus Prime

So when he does JESUS CHRIST, he phases in and out of the Punch dimension. That's why he's invincible on the way up.

FTFY ;3
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Manmademan

The existence of Vulcan kind of blows this theory apart though.

Even Havok is crazy powerful when supplied with sufficient cosmic energy to absorb. He's MUCH more powerful in Space.

Sinister has been tracking the summers family since the 1800s, and was willing to make all kinds of deals to get his hands on about a thousand years' worth of future Summers clan DNA. No one cares about anyone in the Grey bloodline except for Jean, and few people know or even remember that the Shi'ar wiped out jean's immediate family in revenge for the dark Phoenix business.

Jean is crazy powerful, but the potential is locked up in Scott's bloodline.

Also, no one really knows how strong Ruby Summers is, since she won't use her TP at risk of rapid aging and relies on optic blasts instead.

Why is Sinister so obsessed with the Summers what started it?
Sephzilla
(03-20-2017, 02:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Caj814

came to post this
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 02:21 PM)

Why is Sinister so obsessed with the Summers what started it?

Sinister started as a human geneticist in the 1800s or so that first noticed humanity's potential to develop into mutants.

One of the first subjects he was tracking was one of Scott's ancestors. He got significant assistance in his endeavors from Apocalypse, who was emerging from another of his centuries long hibernations.

A time traveling Scott and Jean interfered with both of their plans enough to delay the inevitable rise of Apocalypse by a few centuries, but in doing so confirmed everything Sinister suspected about where humanity's genetic potential was going.
Aselith
(03-20-2017, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Massive Duck, C.M.

They seriously came up with a punch dimension

Lmao

TBF if all it does is fuel eye lasers, why not call it the punch dimension? Literally nothing else you could call it at all. Nothing.
exmachina64
(03-20-2017, 02:38 PM)

That's not how genetics works!
Moose Biscuits
(03-20-2017, 02:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Aselith

TBF if all it does is fuel eye lasers, why not call it the punch dimension? Literally nothing else you could call it at all. Nothing.

Eye Laser Dimension
LordKasual
(03-20-2017, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Hazmat

He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.

this, unfortunately, is the accurate truth
crimzonflame
(03-20-2017, 02:45 PM)
If his lasers are from another dimension, how is he a mutant? Isn't that more mystical/supernatural than your general mutation?
Adam Sadler
(03-20-2017, 02:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Dead

Punches from the Punch dimension

Much like Wolverine's healing power coming from meat from the meat dimension.

This killed me
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 02:56 PM)

Originally Posted by crimzonflame

If his lasers are from another dimension, how is he a mutant? Isn't that more mystical/supernatural than your general mutation?

He's a mutant because he carries something marvel refers to as an X-gene. This alters the body to allow it to do pretty much anything, including channel energy from other dimensions.

Xgenes aren't natural. They were put there by celestials, cosmic entities with power levels so high they may as well be supernatural because cosmic power is pretty much magic (refer to Galactus, or the Silver Surfer)

Some mutations DO lean more towards the magical or supernatural rather than scientific end of the spectrum (Magik, Doug Ramsey, Forge) but there's no hard and fast rule about what effects Xgenes have.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(03-20-2017, 03:06 PM)
"Punch dimension"

Someone actually wrote that on purpose
iPaul93
(03-20-2017, 03:07 PM)
I hate to say this,but it's a comic,it doesn't have to make sense.
The Kree
(03-20-2017, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Chmpocalypse

"Punch dimension"

Someone actually wrote that on purpose

That person's name is fans. No comic writer came up with that. It's just a descriptive nickname.