• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Chmpocalypse

"Punch dimension"

Someone actually wrote that on purpose

No one wrote "punch dimension." Fans made up the term.

Cyclops isn't even unusual. Heroes and villains moving energy and mass into and out of other dimensions to hand wave away blatant violations of the laws of physics isn't new.

No one questions when Soundwave transforms from a Sony Walkman to a 20 foot robot, but the "punch dimension" is EVERYTHING THATS WRONG WITH COMICS
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by iPaul93

I hate to say this,but it's a comic,it doesn't have to make sense.

The real answer
Skeletron
(03-20-2017, 03:13 PM)
Punch dimension and meat dimension lmao so what is there a psychic dimension and a blue hairy skin dimension and an ice dimension and a magnetic dimension everyone else gets there powers from?

And I refuse to call it punch dimension. I don't care that it's a silly fan name. Sounds like a dimension of punches.

Red dimension
Laser dimension
Energy dimension
Kool-aid dimension
Shirley Temple dimension
Pai Pai Master
(03-20-2017, 03:13 PM)
Do we get this pissed off every time fans make up a silly nickname for something?

Originally Posted by Skeletron

And I refuse to call it punch dimension. Sounds like a dimension of punches.

Red dimension
Laser dimension
Energy dimension
Kool-aid dimension
Shirley Temple dimension

Yes that's the entire point of the dumb joke, they started calling it the punch dimension because it looks like fruit punch
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(03-20-2017, 03:14 PM)

Originally Posted by crimzonflame

If his lasers are from another dimension, how is he a mutant? Isn't that more mystical/supernatural than your general mutation?

What about Mutants that are dimensions?

Fuu
Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(03-20-2017, 03:15 PM)

Originally Posted by iPaul93

I hate to say this,but it's a comic,it doesn't have to make sense.

It has to follow its own in-universe logic though. Same for movies, tv shows, fiction novels, etc.
Volimar
(03-20-2017, 03:16 PM)
Punchforce, I ain't gotta explain shit.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:18 PM)
And there is only one punch dimension

Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Pai Pai Master

Yes that's the entire point of the dumb joke, they started calling it the punch dimension because it looks like fruit punch

My understanding was that "punch dimension" got that nickname because it's full of a certain kind of energy that's at pretty much the exact equivalent of punching a guy in the face.
Angelus Errare
this looks like one of those Final Fantasy games lionhead always makes
(03-20-2017, 03:19 PM)
I'm dying laughing at people who don't realize term/phrase "punch dimension" is a made up fan thing
BlitzKeeg
(03-20-2017, 03:19 PM)

Originally Posted by foxdvd

that already came out on the Virtual Boy...

/DEAD

Originally Posted by Hazmat

He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.

Pretty much. Before this thread I thought he was just a tragic character that always shot lasers out of his eyes. Now that I know it's some portal to another dimension that creates even more plot holes I've lost interest.

That's why simple dudes like Wolverine and Magneto are my favorite X-Men because one of them heals real good and the other can move metal with his mind. The interesting stuff comes from the situations that surround them rather then how the powers work.
Volimar
(03-20-2017, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

And there is only one punch dimension

You know, that one pic sums up Spidey's entire career pretty well.
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Fuu

It has to follow its own in-universe logic though. Same for movies, tv shows, fiction novels, etc.

There really is no consistent in universe logic as to where powers come from.

Thinking too hard about certain heroes will break your brain.
Volimar
(03-20-2017, 03:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Manmademan

There really is no consistent in universe logic as to where powers come from.

Thinking too hard about certain heroes will break your brain.

Sentry.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 03:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Volimar

Sentry.

We don't talk about him
antibolo
Banned
(03-20-2017, 03:24 PM)
It's not real.
The Kree
(03-20-2017, 03:25 PM)

Originally Posted by BlitzKeeg

/DEAD

Pretty much. Before this thread I thought he was just a tragic character that always shot lasers out of his eyes. Now that I know it's some portal to another dimension that creates even more plot holes I've lost interest.

That's why simple dudes like Wolverine and Magneto are my favorite X-Men because one of them heals real good and the other can move metal with his mind. The interesting stuff comes from the situations that surround them rather then how the powers work.

Magneto's powers are far more convoluted than Wolverine's.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:25 PM)

Originally Posted by BlitzKeeg

/DEAD

Magneto hasn't just moved metal since the 60s. Dude is the living embodiment of the unfied theory

Gravity

Countering a nuke being dropped on him

More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(03-20-2017, 03:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Screaming Meat

My personal favourite use so far:

Is this a prequel to Logan? :p
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Volimar

Sentry.

Well yes him, since his powerset is "everything" but even some lower end people just don't make a lot of sense.

Forge's mutant power is "invent anything".

Mr. Immortal's is "can't be killed."

Scarlet witch changes events even past ones by manipulating probability.

No ones figured out a good way to explain that last one, not even marvel.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 03:27 PM)
Magneto's powers are basically anything the writer wants him to do just magnetically in front of it.
OmniGamer
Hard Chargin' Capitalism
(03-20-2017, 03:30 PM)

so what is there a psychic dimension...

The Astral Plane.

Also, doesn't Piotr derive his added mass from some unknown dimension when he transmutes into Colossus? Hence the energy he used to give off when he transforms (like in the Konami arcade game)? He also gave off pent up energy when he was stuck in his steel form for a while after his facial injury from the X-Cutioner.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:31 PM)

Well yes him, since his powerset is "everything" but even some lower end people just don't make a lot of sense.

No ones figured out a good way to explain that last one, not even marvel

But they did

They said numerous times if Scarlet Witch had been born anywhere else she would have just normal energy powers. Like Magneto's other daughter Polaris.
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:32 PM)

Originally Posted by caliph95

Magneto's powers are basically anything the writer wants him to do just magnetically in front of it.

Magneto controls the entire EM spectrum. Magnetism is just easiest.
BlitzKeeg
(03-20-2017, 03:32 PM)

Originally Posted by The Kree

Magneto's powers are far more convoluted than Wolverine's.

Magneto hasn't just moved metal since the 60s. Dude is the living embodiment of the unfied theory

Gravity

Countering a nuke being dropped on him

Originally Posted by caliph95

God damn. Don't mind me people. My knowledge doesn't expand very far beyond the Fox films.

I guess only Wolverine then lol
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 03:33 PM)

No ones figured out a good way to explain that last one, not even marvel.

There is also Domino's and longshots luck powers
Cipher knowing languages that he has no way of knowing
Also some mutant called lifeguard whose powers is saving people
Even Darwin can be wonky
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:36 PM)

But they did

They said numerous times if Scarlet Witch had been born anywhere else she would have just normal energy powers. Like Magneto's other daughter Polaris.

Scarlet witch's powers have been retconned by different writers every couple of years.

It was explained as being "chaos magic" for years until house of M declared there was no such thing, only for marvel to reverse that decision and claim yes chaos magic is a thing again, but Strange was lying previously out of fear of Cthon.

AvX most recently declared that Wanda was a universal nexus of chaos energy and a borderline abstract power. It doesn't matter where she was born, that was inevitable.

Her recent solo confuses this even more by creating a "witch goddess" all witches get their power from who is now apparently her mother.

Marvel cannot help themselves from RE explaining scarlet witch every time a new writer shows up because her powers are completely nonsensical.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:39 PM)

Scarlet witch's powers have been retconned by different writers every couple of years.

It was explained as being "chaos magic" for years until house of M declared there was no such thing, only for marvel to reverse that decision and claim yes chaos magic is a thing again, but Strange was lying previously out of fear of Cthon.

AvX most recently declared that Wanda was a universal nexus of chaos energy and a borderline abstract power. It doesn't matter where she was born, that was inevitable.

Her recent solo confuses this even more by creating a "witch goddess" all witches get their power from who is now apparently her mother.

Marvel cannot help themselves from RE explaining scarlet witch every time a new writer shows up because her powers are completely nonsensical.

Damn you old man, you made me think of Amanda Sefton. Going to go read some Solo to cleanse the mind

Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 03:40 PM)
I always thought it was bullshit that Darwin died in First Class considering his power.

Still shaking my head to this day.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Zen Aku

I always thought it was bullshit that Darwin died in First Class considering his power.

Still shaking my head to this day.

Thank you, of all the mutants you could have had, you pick the one who's only power is "can't die ever"
SomedayTheFire
(03-20-2017, 03:43 PM)

Punch dimension and meat dimension lmao so what is there a psychic dimension and a blue hairy skin dimension and an ice dimension and a magnetic dimension everyone else gets there powers from?

no? why would it?

And I refuse to call it punch dimension. I don't care that it's a silly fan name. Sounds like a dimension of punches.

yes, that is the point.
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:44 PM)

Damn you old man, you made me think of Amanda Sefton. Going to go read some Solo to cleanse the mind

Forgot about her. I don't think I was reading comics when she was a thing.

Seriously though RE: scarlet witch...she got inverted and turned evil during "axis" and went after Doom.

Doom managed to steal a fraction of a fraction of the power she had and was able to change the outcome of any event that occurred throughout marvel history. He used it to raise someone from the dead he felt guilty about killing.

and this was AFTER she got nerfed after AvX, which itself was after she was nerfed in House of M.

Scarlet witch is ludicrous.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:46 PM)

Red dimension
Laser dimension
Energy dimension
Kool-aid dimension
Shirley Temple dimension

Forgot about her. I don't think I was reading comics when she was a thing.

Seriously though RE: scarlet witch...she got inverted and turned evil during "axis" and went after Doom.

Doom managed to steal a fraction of a fraction of the power she had and was able to change the outcome of any event that occurred throughout marvel history. He used it to raise someone from the dead he felt guilty about killing.

and this was AFTER she got nerfed after AvX, which itself was after she was nerfed in House of M.

Scarlet witch is ludicrous.

Don't tell Gaf about Wudarr or The Question
Manmademan
(03-20-2017, 03:52 PM)

Don't tell Gaf about Wudarr or The Question

Not getting into those two.

However, now that I mention AXIS, it's weird that people are upset that Captain America is evil now, because this is exactly what happened during Axis to pretty much everybody EXCEPT Rogers including Sam Wilson.

Hell, every last X-man turned evil, took over Manhattan for a month while beating the shit out of anyone human, and set off a gene bomb that would have wiped out all non mutant life on earth if not for...Carnage of all people tanking the blast and "killing" himself.

Strangely, no one remembers this happening.
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 03:59 PM)

Not getting into those two.

However, now that I mention AXIS, it's weird that people are upset that Captain America is evil now, because this is exactly what happened during Axis to pretty much everybody EXCEPT Rogers including Sam Wilson.

Hell, every last X-man turned evil, took over Manhattan for a month while beating the shit out of anyone human, and set off a gene bomb that would have wiped out all non mutant life on earth if not for...Carnage of all people tanking the blast and "killing" himself.

Strangely, no one remembers this happening.

I want to see the future where Cap rules the world while wearing Cap Armor and his stormtroopers are NFL Superpro knockoffs
Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 04:04 PM)

Thank you, of all the mutants you could have had, you pick the one who's only power is "can't die ever"

I was fucking waiting for him to pop up in Days of Future Past in some sort of energy based form before resuming is normal form again and be like "yeah sorry y'all I never absorbed energy before. For like a year I was floating around in the the world trying to pull myself together again. Well guess now I know I can absorb energy."

Fuck, now I want a Darwin spin-off 6 episodes mini series about him pulling himself together after being Bacon-bombed.
itwasTuesday
(03-20-2017, 04:07 PM)
But what if it was the Fruit Punch dimension? How useful would that be.
Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 04:12 PM)

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

Well how many white people suburban parties do we have per year? Birthdays, New Year's, Easter, Christmas, Family BBQs, not to mention Homecoming and Prom. You name it.

Cyclops would be so damn popular. He'll be able to create a Fruit Punch mega corporation and fund the entire school by himself.
Moose Biscuits
(03-20-2017, 04:14 PM)

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

Cyclops just firing Kool-Aid™ out of his eyes at such velocity and pressure that it can pierce rock and metal, like one of those sandblasting hoses on super steroids.

You know what, I think that's actually the best explanation for Cyclops' power; it explains why the beams have such force but don't set things on fire, and it also explains where the beams go (they dissipate into harmless clouds of delicious fruit punch).
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 04:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Moose Biscuits

Cyclops just firing Kool-Aid™ out of his eyes at such velocity and pressure that it can pierce rock and metal, like one of those sandblasting hoses on super steroids.

You know what, I think that's actually the best explanation for Cyclops' power; it explains why the beams have such force but don't set things on fire, and it also explains where the beams go (they dissipate into harmless clouds of delicious fruit punch).

Reminded me of Heavy-Flo, a Savage Dragon villain that could shoot a high powered stream of menstrual blood out of her business.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 04:18 PM)

Reminded me of Heavy-Flo, a Savage Dragon villain that could shoot a high powered stream of menstrual blood out of her business.

I don't even.....
Aselith
(03-20-2017, 04:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Moose Biscuits

Eye Laser Dimension

That's a little on the nose
Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 04:19 PM)
"Fuck you Wolverine, stop hitting on my girl" dimension
Moose Biscuits
(03-20-2017, 04:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Aselith

That's a little on the nose

On The Nose Dimension
Slayven
(03-20-2017, 04:21 PM)

"Fuck you Wolverine, stop hitting on my girl" dimension

When did Wolverine hit on Emma Frost?
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 04:22 PM)

He is talking about worst girl
Zen Aku
(03-20-2017, 04:24 PM)

Yeah I didn't see this coming either. But he really is an animal.
Last edited by Zen Aku; 03-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.
caliph95
(03-20-2017, 04:25 PM)

I think i know why Scott hates Logan
JC Lately

Originally Posted by Hazmat

He is a mutated man that shoots red lasers out of his eyes when they're open, but he has access to a red glass that blocks the beams. The glass can be made into a visor on his superhero suit or sunglasses that he can wear when out among normal people.

The second that you tried to make it more complicated you ruined it for yourself.

SillyNonsense

His eyes are like a dimensional rift to a universe of pure energy, or something.

Good god...I was happy just believing he had laser eyes.

Some peoples genetics mutate to grow wings. Others mutate to heal faster. Some even mutated to turn their skin into metal.
And then some people mutate so that their eyes open a dimensional rift to an alternate universe that projects infinite energy.

Must be the same dimension that powers Jet Jaguar. Punch punch punch!