• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(03-20-2017, 12:16 PM)
Sorry if this is frowned upon - I've never seen a thread like this on GAF before, but I figured I'd give it a whirl anyway. Please do not give one word answers and be sure to read the last sentence in the thread.

This thread was inspired by both the recent Zelda kick the internet has been on, and old stupid Livejournal quizzes that give you a character based on some mostly arbitrary multiple choice answers.

Wait! Don't go, I know that wasn't a very good way to sell this thread. Instead of assigning you a character, I thought a much better thing to do would be to use the concept creatively and assign a "type" to ourselves, with the character acting as a representation.

...I'm probably just confusing you. On with the thread, then. I've decided to divide gamers into four main categories.

Green Link - The Leader

Green Links tend to lean towards being social gamers. Greens tend to enjoy working in teams, whether it be co-op or team based multiplayer, and are likely to try to convince their friends to play a game they've enjoyed. Green Links are well rounded in their interests, and they can find enjoyment in a game's story, or can forgive a lackluster plot for stellar gameplay, as long as the game excels in any one area. The most compelling reward for them is beating the game or, for multiplayer, working well with others.

Greens are straightforward, so they tend to enjoy action, adventure, less convoluted RPGs, or platformers, but they can really find enjoyment in anything. Greens may find particular enjoyment in MMOs or team based multiplayer due to the communal experience. Most likely to participate in an online community.

Blue Link - The Adventurer

Blue Link gamers are there for the experience, the story, the soundtrack, and the atmosphere. They tend to stop and smell the roses, explore every nook and cranny, and often enjoy searching for collectables or scanning through a game's compendium or codex. The most satisfying rewards for Blues are the journey and the memories.

Since Blues are more conceptual in nature, they don't tend to gravitate towards a specific genre. They can enjoy an RPG, puzzle, or action based game as long as the overall idea "clicks." They tend to gravitate towards single player experiences, not because they don't like playing with others, but because they frequently offer a more well crafted world and narrative. They tend to get into arguments with Reds, who frequently claim that story doesn't matter in games. Most likely to buy an artbook for a game.

Red Link - The Fighter

Red Links are the competitive type. They like playing games to win. Reds are all about hitboxes, high scores, and kill counts. They're there to be the best. Reds will often try to master a game - they want to do everything so that they stand on top. That platinum trophy is meant to be displayed on the internet. That speed run is meant to be shown to others to show them that they did something amazing. The most satisfying rewards for Red Links are overcoming difficulty or beating out others.

Red Links tend to gravitate towards multiplayer, such as fighters, MOBAs, or shooters. However, you'll also find the variant of Red who finds enjoyment in "hardcore" single player games, such as Dark Souls, which reward perseverance and gate out the more casual crowd. Reds can be more critical of a game's flaws and will let everyone know what is they don't like about a game. Story is not important for them - after all, gameplay is what matters in a game. Most likely to watch or participate in e-sports, or argue with Blues about the importance of story in a game.

Purple Link - The Aesthetician

Purples play games to feel good. They're similar to Reds in that they seek victory, but they do so for the material reward. There is nothing more satisfying to a Purple than getting a new piece of loot, a new skin, or a new gun. They are likely to buy all of the DLC for a game in order to "have more stuff." For Purple Links, a game must reward their pleasure circuit for it to be enjoyable. They need to receive a concrete reward for making substantial progress. Purples also have another variant: the type who needs their experience to be optimal at all times. Framerate and graphics matter to them, enough so that if they aren't up to their standards, they're going to let you know. Having the latest and greatest gadgets to play games at 100% is important to them. They went out and bought a Pro, even if they already had a PS4. A Purple's greatest reward is getting more stuff.

Purples are likely to play loot-based games, such as MMOs or Diablo-likes, but can find enjoyment in many different titles as long as the game frequently rewards them for their progress. Purples tend to gravitate towards being PC gamers, as PCs offer them the best graphics and performance. Steam sales are their thing, because they love collecting games. Adding more to their collection - whether it be in-game, collecting the game, or with supplementary materials - is what they live for. Most likely to buy an Amiibo, or invest a substantial amount of money in a gaming PC.

Me, I'm a Blue Link, through and through, although I think there's a dash of green in me as well. At the end of the day, I'm there for the atmosphere. I'll spend hours combing through a game's codex or debating its lore with others. Games have always been a conceptual "experience" to me, and I'll be the first to argue that yes, games can be art. Despite that, I still want my game to be an enjoyable game, and bad gameplay will detract from the experience for me. My top five games of all time are:

Final Fantasy VII
Xenogears
Metal Gear Solid 2
Mega Man X
Suikoden

Interesting how Mega Man X doesn't fit with the story experience, but I always did love the atmosphere in those games. The soundtrack alone might be reason enough to love it.

So I ask you: Which do you identify with the most? What are your top five games of all time? I realize Collector Purple and Performance Purple are slightly different and may not overlap, so don't be afraid to choose Purple even if only one applies - just let us know what kind of Purple you are!
Last edited by SolVanderlyn; 03-20-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Vincent Grayson
(03-20-2017, 12:21 PM)
Blue with a dash of purple for me.

I love immersing myself in games, but I've never been a completionist because I don't like wasting my time on activities I don't find fun, and even the best games seem to include a few (and now with achievements, there's almost always a thing I just have no interest in).

As for a top 5:

Vagrant Story
Skyrim
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy XII
Planescape: Torment

Needless to say, I like RPGs, and ideally ones with robust, developed worlds.
LuchaRider
(03-20-2017, 12:23 PM)
As much as I love sweet loot and action, I'm Blue Link, I love to dive into the world's ambience and lore, be one with it and act like an adventurer, I often go to the taverns in Wow just to appreciate the awesome music or spend hours doing nothing in Animal Crossing rather than say "yoooo this is so cute" directly to the screen.

I have a weird fixation to unveil mysteries in games, like "Why is this like that" or "Why is this zone closed" Wow is filled with these kind of thing and I love it.

Awesome thread idea, subbing.
SatoAilDarko
(03-20-2017, 12:28 PM)
Blue Link

At the same time I collect hundreds of games across various platforms. But graphics and performance don't mean anything to me so Purple Link I am not.

Don't feel confident in giving a top 5 but my two favorite games are Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon.
DylanEno
(03-20-2017, 12:35 PM)
Absolutely blue link with a hint of green and purple.

I love games for the experience, not for the end result of being the best or having the most stuff. This would probably explain why WW and BoTW are my favorite Zelda games - I feel they focus most heavily on the exploration and adventuring aspect, which I eat up.

My top 5 games are probably...

Banjo-Kazooie
Paper Mario TTYD
Zelda Wind Waker
Pokémon Red
Persona 4: Golden
Reizo Ryuu
(03-20-2017, 12:52 PM)
Green link here.
I love coop stuff and have spent thousands of hours on things like horde modes, payday 2, splinter cell, firefight, resident evil etc.

But, I've also played fighting games for the past 24 years.
I don't really enjoy competitive play in stuff like CoD, where it's just ppl shooting you by surprise.
I do however love halo mp, because of how 'hard' it is to kill someone because of the shield; you can truly have a mini battle with anyone.
Overwatch and for honor are more examples of competitive games I enjoy a lot.

I also tend to play character action games on the hardest difficulty, so I guess I have a strong red link fire burning in me too.

Making a top 5 is hard, but bayonetta is clearly the greatest game of all time.
Kneefoil
(03-20-2017, 12:55 PM)
I'm definitely a Blue Link in this case. For example, I don't play Zelda games for the dungeons, but rather for the world and the memorable characters. Hence why A Link to the Past is nowhere near being my favourite Zelda game in spite of the praise it gets from a lot of the fans - many of which seem to think that the dungeons are the meat of TLoZ games.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  2. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
  3. The World Ends With You
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3
  5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Exploratory
is not Kawhi Leonard
(03-20-2017, 12:57 PM)
NeoGAF is generally a blue Link.

I'm a Red Link with a blue alternate.

My top 5:

Overwatch
Destiny
The Last of Us
Mass Effect 2
Halo 2
purseowner
(03-20-2017, 12:59 PM)
Blue Link.

I love JRPGs, VNs, narrative driven games, games with exploration, indies with atmosphere.

Some favourite games:

Virtue's Last Reward
Bioshock Infinite
Persona 3
Pokemon Colosseum
Super Mario Galaxy
Pikmin 2
Last edited by purseowner; 03-20-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Übermatik
(03-20-2017, 01:01 PM)
Green/Blue Link. I like to play games 'properly', but also take a lot of time out to explore.
AgentOttsel
(03-20-2017, 01:05 PM)
I'm a Blue link for sure! My top 5 games are:

Spyro the Dragon
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Jak II
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
CTR: Crash Team Racing

There are so many other games I'd like to add to that list, like Okami, Ori and the Blind Forest, inFamous 2, but only 5 games are allowed... ;-; I'm currently enjoying Horizon: Zero Dawn and Gravity Rush 2. I love exploration, platforming, beautiful art styles and an amazing soundtrack.
redcrayon
(03-20-2017, 01:06 PM)
Blue with a hint of green. I'm a roleplayer at heart, and care more about exploring and creating interesting characters than finding optimum setups, beating other players or achievements. I'll reach the end of the game because I wanted to see the end the story more than because I wanted to beat the final boss. On the odd occasion that I do play multiplayer, it tends to be co-op stuff, and even then I suppose I annoy 'red' players by equipping what I think looks cool or is in character for my avatar than what is the optimum build. I get on their good side by sharing my resources freely, as to me a character being on 1hp is near death rather than near respawn. In Monster Hunter I'll be
the one packing wide-range, buff items and healing horns, as I'm more effective being a sort-of force-multiplier in helping to keep the more offensive Hunters alive when they are inevitably kicking out more DPS than me.

30 years of playing RPGs means that I tend to have a modicum of understanding for what might be fun to play, characterful and be slightly effective though. My default 'personality' in a game is what I call 'pragmatic good', where I'll happily help people if I can and it's a reasonable request, but am quite happy not to spare villains if I think they are trying to game my (or anyone else's) sense of fair play in any way. I'll also happily ignore sidequests along the line of 'find my missing 250 magic things', but politely agree to grab an item hidden in a dungeon I was going to anyway. I can quite easily keep my cheerful sense of adventure and also tell people to do their own busywork if I've got something more important to do.

I love stuff like Fantasy Life or Skyrim where I can happily be a baker or a trader or a blacksmith without needing to save the world to get an interesting campaign.
Last edited by redcrayon; 03-20-2017 at 01:13 PM.
pelicansurf
Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
(03-20-2017, 01:08 PM)
Definitely blue with a splash of red. I'll play any type of genre if it's a good experience. I also want to crush all my friends if we're playing it competitively.

Examples of games I love, recent and not:

Persona 4
Overwatch
Zelda Majora's Mask
Nioh
Ori and the Blind Forest
Last edited by pelicansurf; 03-20-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Zyrox
(03-20-2017, 01:09 PM)
I'm a mix of Red and Blue. Fighting games are among my favorite genres and I just love the thrill of the fight and to constantly improve and overcome human opponents.
But I also love me a big immersive narrative driven single player experience that I can just get lost in.

Dunno about top 5, but some of my favorite games are
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 3, 4 and Arena Ultimax
Dark Souls 2 and 3 (MP is a huge part of why I love these games)
Super Smash Bros. 4

And I'm currently playing Nioh and liking it a lot and on the MP side I'm really loving For Honor right now.
enixbelmont
(03-20-2017, 01:10 PM)
Red 100%, maybe a bit of green cause I love co-op

Devil May Cry 3
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Contra
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Final Fantasy 7

Favorite genre is fighting games but honestly my favorite is usually whatever is most recent.
Ricky_R
(03-20-2017, 01:15 PM)
Was looking for the link to answer the questions and generate what kind of gamer I am. Then I realized: Oh, THAT Link.
Daeoc
(03-20-2017, 01:16 PM)
I can't decide. . . not purple. "they can really find enjoyment in anything", "tend to stop and smell the roses, explore every nook and cranny", " the competitive type. They like playing games to win.".

Top 5
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XI
Overwatch
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Last edited by Daeoc; 03-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.
gngf123
(03-20-2017, 01:19 PM)
Somewhere between Red and Green I think.

I'll play some competitive games - Rocket League, Street Fighter, Shadowverse.

Sometimes I'll play single player games for highscores/speedruns - Flywrench, STG's.

Sometimes I'll just want to play through and have a good time with an RPG, platformer, or adventure game.

My top 5 would probably be something like:

Portal
SMT:Strange Journey
Rocket League
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Fez
Last edited by gngf123; 03-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Sanctuary
(03-20-2017, 01:20 PM)
Easily a Red Link (with a bit of Blue), although more of the variant and not one that gravitates towards multiplayer, unless it's a fighting game. But even that desire has waned over the years due to online being mostly trash for any real competition, and needing to seek out local play for it.

Favorite genres would be RPGs and Action/Adventure.
Top five favorite games of all time?

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Mass Effect 2
Resident Evil 2
Last edited by Sanctuary; 03-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
MTC100
(03-20-2017, 01:20 PM)
Blue.

Only 5? That's impossible! These exclude games before the N64 Era, though I of course have a lot of games of that time I would like to mention(like Chrono Trigger, SMB 3, Zelda1, 3, etc...).

Deus Ex
Ocarina of Time
The Last of Us
Half Life 1
The Witcher 3
Freespace 2
Valkyria Chronicles
Outcast
Persona 4 Golden
Virtues Last Reward
-just examples among lots of others(probably roughly 50), I wouldn't rank those games as they are great in their own way.
Last edited by MTC100; 03-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.
LoSnupo
(03-20-2017, 01:26 PM)
Totally Rainbow.

My top 5

1) Super Mario World (SNes)
2) Zelda: BotW (Switch)
3) The eye of the Beholder (Amiga)
4) Soul Sacrifice (PSVita)
5) Parodius DA! (SNes)
Collingwood
(03-20-2017, 01:30 PM)
Blue link.

With a dash of green.

OoT
Halo CE
Titanfall
Daytona USA
God of War
PtM
(03-20-2017, 01:34 PM)
Never mind.
Last edited by PtM; 03-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.
DieNgamers
(03-20-2017, 01:36 PM)
Cool idea!

Strange enough but I'm a mix of blue and red Link... with a dash of green when I'm with people.

I play games for the adventure and love getting immersed in the game's world. That's why I appreciate creative and more escapist titles. My favorite games are:

Metroid Prime (blue)
Bloodborne (blue and red)
Dark Souls (red)
Zelda Majora's Mask (blue)
The Last Guardian (blue)
Super Mario Galaxy (blue and red)
Banjo Kazooie, Tooie (blue)
Cave bullet hell shooters (red)

Games I really enjoy playing with friends that are green only:

Rocket League
Mario Kart
Mario Party

P.S.: I must say that aesthetics are important for the immersion, too. Not the technical side of it but the art. It's part of being blue Link for me!
Kurdel
(03-20-2017, 01:38 PM)
Didn't we already have a "a color of sonic are you?" a while back?
DieNgamers
(03-20-2017, 01:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Kurdel

Didn't we already have a "a color of sonic are you?" a while back?

Eeeeh...Sonic is cool and all that but he's no Link!
Dynheart
(03-20-2017, 01:41 PM)
I'm probably a 50/50 split between a blue Link and a purple Link. After re-reading, I do have a little bit of green Link as well. Mostly blue and purple however.

My top five games are:

The Legend of Zelda: Alttp
Super Metroid
Diablo 2
Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star Online

HM: Final Fantasy VI
Mario 64
Last edited by Dynheart; 03-20-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Zedark
(03-20-2017, 01:42 PM)
I am absolutely a blue link: adventuring in a world of wonder is the best aspect of gaming for me. My top 5 games ever kinda reflects this:

1. TESIV: Oblivion
2. TLOZ: BOTW (tentative)
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. TESV: Skyrim
5. Age of Mythology
(BOTW is currently seriously close to taking the first place)

Many open worlds that have a focus on exploring a world rather than following a storyline in my list, as you can see. Witcher 3 is close to the top 5 as well.
Tonyx
(03-20-2017, 01:47 PM)
I think I am blue Link even if it's not perfectly the definition I am looking for.

What I like most is mastering the mechanics of a game, learning how you can min-max and where and how to find the best gear. So I guess I am in for the journey.
HIUHAU
(03-20-2017, 01:48 PM)
Like OP, at the end of the day, I'm there for the experience, so I guess I'm a full blown Blue Link.

Buut, I play games since I was a child, so I've been a Red Link at times, and even a Green Link as well (I like to beat as many games as possible, I was very competitive and back in the day I was into MMO for the sense of cooperation).

As I enter adulthood and have less time to play and with games competing with other hobbies, I find myself discovering what type of gamer I truly am, and yes, it's all about those unique settings (the story can indeed be lackluster) and amazing soundtracks. But having played games for a long time, I also find great enjoyment in challenging games.

In the end: Blue Link with a very little hint of Red Link.
WheelHoss1
(03-20-2017, 01:49 PM)
Sorry but these categories are way too simplistic
Magic Mushroom
(03-20-2017, 01:51 PM)
Out of those probably blue, but it doesn't cover all bases as I'm mostly a gameplay focused gamer, interested in strong mechanics, player agency and good level design.

Top 5:

1. Bloodborne
2. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
3. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Super Metroid
Asmodai48
(03-20-2017, 01:52 PM)
So this is basically Johnny,Spike, Timmy? I am red/green

Top 5 games no order

World of Warcraft
Dark Souls
Counter Strike
Dota
Battlefield 2
Jonnax
(03-20-2017, 01:53 PM)
I'm as Blue Link as you can get.

What I most love about games is a sense of place.
Characters that act realistically in the world is one of the things I always look out for.
I'm always looking for a well told story and I love "down time" and slow starts.

I recently played Trails in the Sky FC and SC. I loved how you travel through the same country in both games were you know the roads, the buildings etc.
Like when you're told to go to a town in the second game, you don't need a map. You've been there before, and you know what the roads are like.

But that's a thin line, because a game can seem lazy because asset reuse.

In terms of games that have meant a lot to me, not necessarily blue link games, these are my 10 in no particular order.
  • Golden Sun 1+2
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Age of Empires II
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
  • Hitman: Codename 47
  • Ragnarok Online
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Wipeout HD
Vipu
(03-20-2017, 01:56 PM)
red + purple + a bit of blue
Heroman
(03-20-2017, 01:57 PM)
I'm black Link
jrh2
Banned
(03-20-2017, 02:02 PM)
I don't think I really have a type, honestly. Totally depends on the mood I'm in and the type of game.

Top 5 games changes depending on my mood as well, but this is a pretty safe list:

FEZ
Super Mario World
Spelunky
Portal 2
Rock Band Blitz
killatopak
(03-20-2017, 02:02 PM)
Maybe a mix of Purple, Red and Green but more purple. I Love collecting stuff.

1. NieR
2. Ragnarok Online
3. League of Legends
4. Dota Allstars
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. MS Saga
7. Valkyrie Profile 2
8. Dissidia Final Fantasy
9. Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus
10. Diablo 2
Jawmuncher
(03-20-2017, 02:03 PM)
Green Link, I just wanna beat the game and enjoy what I played. Without going out of my way too often. This is especially evident of my top 5 (One per franchise) where there isn't really any big sanboxy exploring games. I also care more about playing with friends than solo, and am there for the fun rather than winning. So I would say green link is pretty spot on. Except for the online community aspect, I don't like MMOs and won't talk to randos online. I only play MP with people I know. Though I guess you could loop it a bit and say neogaf itself is the community for this green link.

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Resident Evil 5
3. Dino Crisis
4. Super Smash Bros: Brawl
5. Mass Effect 2
Lothar
(03-20-2017, 02:07 PM)
Red Link. I don't really get playing games without challenge. That's a waste of time for me. Unless it's a game with a good story. I can enjoy a story but when I'm playing a game for gameplay, it needs to be hard.

I don't think every game should be able to be beaten, I have more respect for it if I can't beat it, and I also don't think save states should exist.
SonicMegaDrive
(03-20-2017, 02:10 PM)
I'm Red Link through and through. Blue Link and I have little in common besides a love for music.
MikeyB
(03-20-2017, 02:16 PM)
I am the Orange Lantern all the way. All the games will be mine. All of them.
Falchion
(03-20-2017, 02:39 PM)
I'm definitely blue because immersive games like Horizon are what really drawn me in. I do have a little bit of the others in me too since I love the accomplishment of beating the games, overcoming challenges, and the thrill of getting new items and stuff.
hotcyder
(03-20-2017, 02:46 PM)
Purple on the Streets/Red in the Sheets

1. Metroid: Zero Mission
2. LOZ: Minish Cap
3. WarioWare MM$
4. DOOM (most of them)
5. Minecraft
Chorazin
(03-20-2017, 02:47 PM)
3/4ths Blue, 1/4 Purple.

I used to have a Red streak but I just don't have the natural skill to by amazing at competitive games without practice that I don't have the time for. Plus I rage too easy so I've basically given that all up.

Top Five at this moment in time (in no particular order):

Zelda BotW
Persona 4
Final Fantasy 6
Dark Souls
Halo 3
Chibot
(03-20-2017, 03:01 PM)
It looks like I'm quite split.

I'd describe myself as:

50% Blue
25% Green
25% Red

I love games with an engaging, lengthy, well-written story (rare, I know). But sometimes I can overlook a lacking story and play just for the experience and still feel satisfied that I've finished a game, which is something I almost always do. Then there's a part of me that's highly competitive and loves being challenged and overcoming those challenges.

Top 5 games/series/whatever:

Final Fantasy (IV-VII)
Mario Kart (Super/DS/8)
Demon's/Dark Soulsborne
Super Mario (World/Galaxy/3D World)
Xenoblade Chronicles

(Haven't finished BoTW yet, it might take a place in this list)
kromeo
(03-20-2017, 03:04 PM)
Blue. Red link is my stuff of nightmares
ChaosZeroX
(03-20-2017, 03:08 PM)
Green + Blue link. I get distracted by like every side quest and collectible.
Quonny
(03-20-2017, 03:11 PM)
Too reductive for me to fall into any one category.

I play League competitively, will get lost in Skyrim/Horizon, will do all the sidequests to get all dat loot, love working as a team in MMOs or shooters...

Top five:

1. Secret of Mana
2. Ragnarok Online
3. League of Legends
4. Star Ocean 2
5. EverQuest

I probably play the most 'purple' games.
Last edited by Quonny; 03-20-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Cactus
(03-20-2017, 03:11 PM)
I really don't think I'm any of those. I'm not a completionist, I'm not concerned about graphics or DLC, I'm not competitive, and I generally don't play social/multiplayer games.

I guess the closest might be Blue, even though I'd never spend money on an artbook (or any other type of video game memorabilia) Idk.
Last edited by Cactus; 03-20-2017 at 03:13 PM.