• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by SCB3

were D/P received well though?I know a lot dropped off after Ruby/Sapphire,

Then what do you expect them to remake, Gen 1 again?

And yes, it sold very well.
NSESN
(03-20-2017, 02:44 PM)

were D/P received well though?I know a lot dropped off after Ruby/Sapphire,

DP is the 3rd highest selling gen, so I don't think it is unpopular. BW is the lowest selling one (technically it is SM but it has only one quarter).
brinstar
(03-20-2017, 02:45 PM)
it's happening isn't it
Aleh
(03-20-2017, 02:46 PM)
I'm sure Stars is real. Maybe just a third version with post-game gyms, Necrozma Episode, pokémon following you, comeback of triple and rotation battles and the like with HD improvements here and there, or maybe a sequel still set in Alola, who knows.

I also think Gen 8 has been in development for a little while already, since Stars wouldn't require too much work and they had plenty of time after SM. So if we're lucky we might see it in 2018, but 2019 seems more likely.

And then finally DPP remakes in 2020. Basically the same transition as Gen 5>6 except B2W2 were still on the DS.
LordKano
(03-20-2017, 02:46 PM)
[nevermind]
SCB3
(03-20-2017, 02:52 PM)

Originally Posted by LordKano

They sold way more than Ruby/Sapphire, thanks to DS popularity.

I don't think a SuMo 2 would be necessarily cheaper. And, it would mean the same region for three consecutive years, and not even GameFreak would be lazy enough to do that lol.

Oh really? I suppose a remake would work well then, I'd prefer Stars or a new games, hell I want a game with ALL the regions tbh
SCB3
(03-20-2017, 02:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Neoxon

ok, only asked a question, no need to be an asshole about it

Originally Posted by NSESN

DP is the 3rd highest selling gen, so I don't think it is unpopular. BW is the lowest selling one (technically it is SM but it has only one quarter).

Yea, I figured B/W was the low point (S/M hasn't been out long enough yet and seems to be doing really well, thanks to Pokemon GO I assume)
Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 02:55 PM)

ok, only asked a question, no need to be an asshole about it.

Fair enough. Either way, they'd probably keep going in remakes for as long as we get Pokémon generations (which actually raises an interesting point as to if they'll revisit gens that already got remakes later down the road).
SporeCrawler
(03-20-2017, 02:55 PM)
obviously its tembo the elefant RPG for PS4 and PSVita
SCB3
(03-20-2017, 02:57 PM)

Fair enough. Either way, they'd probably keep going in remakes for as long as we get Pokémon generations (which actually raises an interesting point as to if they'll revisit gens that already got remakes later down the road).

I think a switch release of a game that incorporates ALL the regions inc. maybe a new one could be very interesting, I'd even consider getting rid of the separate versions as well ( they won't, it makes a lot of money )
The Hermit
(03-20-2017, 02:59 PM)
A globally popular RPG by gamefreaks... I wonder what it could be 🤔
Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by The Hermit

A globally popular RPG by gamefreaks... I wonder what it could be 🤔

Yeah, Game Freak could have been more vague to give us more to speculate.
Jacce
(03-20-2017, 03:00 PM)
I really doubt GameFreak has the resources at the ready to do Switch mainline Pokemon games 3 times 3 years in a row. I think likely it will go

2017 - Pokemon Stars on Switch (possibly cross-platform with 3DS)
2018 - Nothing
2019 - Gen 8 on Switch
2020- - Remake using Gen 8 engine on Switch

They don't do a remake every gen. Gen V did not have a remake. And Gen 7 in terms of release pattern fits more with Gen 5 than anything else. Expecting Stars this year, a remake next year, then Gen 8 the following year all on a new platform is just not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Aleh

And then finally DPP remakes in 2020. Basically the same transition as Gen 5>6 except B2W2 were still on the DS.

Yes, this 100%.

Well the Gen 1 remakes are actually older than D/P and thus the oldest non-remade games in release to be fair, hah.
Last edited by Jacce; 03-20-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Plasmid
(03-20-2017, 03:03 PM)
So we're going to see this in probably 3 years.
Serenitynow
(03-20-2017, 05:48 PM)
So is the thought process that this isn't for Stars but Stars does exist?
Village
(03-20-2017, 05:52 PM)
Oh look

The switch just justified its entire existence .
Crayolan
(03-20-2017, 05:57 PM)
Stars (or whatever the next gen 7 game is) must already be well into development, this is for gen 8. 2018 or 2019 I guess.
Ahasverus
(03-20-2017, 06:00 PM)
It's happening :D
Tron#1
(03-20-2017, 06:01 PM)
this is a bigger and different project than what you guys are thinking. This will be a holiday 2018 at the earliest game. the initial pokemon game will probably be announced and released this year.

just a guess
Shizuka
(03-20-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

Why put Wii U and PSVita level character models in the same bracket? They are nowhere near the same. Wii U has bayo 2 at 720p 60fps. Vita cant even run god of war at sub native res at 30fps

Because it's the hardware's fault and not the developer, right? I can think of quite a few problematic Wii U ports, myself.
Cartho
(03-20-2017, 06:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Serenitynow

So is the thought process that this isn't for Stars but Stars does exist?

That's the assumption yes. E.G. Were very sure of their facts and they've got a good track record with Switch rumours. Apparently they had it from "multiple sources" that Stars was a Switch exclusive and was already well into development.

Apparently it was kind of being developed in parallel to Sun and Moon last year.
Fireblend
No Member
(03-20-2017, 06:41 PM)
Drill Dozer RPG LETS GO
DMONKUMA
(03-20-2017, 06:42 PM)
Yeah Pokémon and Monster Hunter whenever released will make sure the Switch is at least somewhat successful.
Icyflamez96
(03-20-2017, 06:45 PM)
Breath of the Pokemon
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 06:46 PM)
almost shed a tear
Oersted
(03-20-2017, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by massoluk

I don't know guys, globally popular RPG by Game Freak sounds pretty vague

Yep

What could it be *pretends trying to figure it out*
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 06:50 PM)
this is honestly so exciting and will hopefully be the nail in the coffin for people who still think the switch isn't the 3ds successor.

this will slay.
LotusHD
(03-20-2017, 06:51 PM)
I sure hope it's Pokemon. D:
WrenchNinja
(03-20-2017, 06:54 PM)
I'll release a Mew if an announced third version of Sun and Moon isn't on 3DS
Serenitynow
(03-20-2017, 07:01 PM)
Can anything be gleaned from this statement in the Siliconera article?

Both positions will be done in contract fashion and will last until May 2018 at the longest.

Herbspiceguy
(03-20-2017, 07:03 PM)
Are they going to pull a "rethink the conventions"?
Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 07:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Serenitynow

Can anything be gleaned from this statement in the Siliconera article?

Then it may be for Gen 8 being ready for next year.

Originally Posted by Herbspiceguy

Are they going to pull a "rethink the conventions"?

They kinda already did that with Sun/Moon.
timshundo
(03-20-2017, 07:06 PM)
There's no "Stars" and there's no "Spla2n" peopleeee
Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 07:08 PM)

Originally Posted by timshundo

There's no "Stars" and there's no "Spla2n" peopleeee

Stars is the supposed codename for the 3rd Sun/Moon game according to Eurogamer, Spla2n was just a nickname that fans theorized could be the name for Splatoon 2 (apparently the pun doesn't work as well in Japanese).
Zyrox
(03-20-2017, 07:16 PM)
Wonder how Gen 8 on Switch is going to be...SuMo got rid of the grid, wonder if the restricted camera is next. A freely controllable camera would certainly make things different.

Anyway, good to see that GF are getting ready to make the Switch. That should sell a lot of systems.
LordKano
(03-20-2017, 07:17 PM)

Stars is the supposed codename for the 3rd Sun/Moon game according to Eurogamer, Spla2n was just a nickname that fans theorized could be the name for Splatoon 2 (apparently the pun doesn't work as well in Japanese).

It doesn't work as well in any language barring English.
Oregano
(03-20-2017, 07:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Shizuka

Because it's the hardware's fault and not the developer, right? I can think of quite a few problematic Wii U ports, myself.

You're not seriously suggesting Vita and Wii U are comparable? Even on paper it's a massive gulf.
Vigilant Gambit
(03-20-2017, 07:19 PM)
Lol. My employer has been hiring people to work on the console version of TERA for a while now, so even though we only just announced it about a week ago, people knew what was up well before then. I can understand the struggle for this type of hiring.
SporeCrawler
(03-20-2017, 07:21 PM)

Originally Posted by massoluk

I don't know guys, globally popular RPG by Game Freak sounds pretty vague

real question: what RPGs did Game Freak create that were released worldwide aside of pokemon?
SinCityAssassin
(03-20-2017, 07:23 PM)

Originally Posted by SporeCrawler

real question: what RPGs did Game Freak create that were released worldwide aside of pokemon?

Pulseman Stories, acclaimed 20 game RPG franchise on Earth-2A.
Xliskin
(03-20-2017, 07:26 PM)
To me this is new IP in multiplatform
Jonneh3003
(03-20-2017, 07:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

this is honestly so exciting and will hopefully be the nail in the coffin for people who still think the switch isn't the 3ds successor.

this will slay.

People stick to their traditional definitions of what the Switch is too closely. "Nintendo are marketing it as a console" No they aren't, it's a form factor we haven't seen before in the console space. A handheld that is also a console. It's exciting to finally see it embracing both the console and handheld sides of software.
I am not employed in the video game industry and I was previously banned after posting a bunch of questionable NX rumors I collected by talking to people on Twitter.
(03-20-2017, 07:28 PM)
Finally. Pocket Card Jockey Chronicles. The rpg we never knew we wanted until now.
Serenitynow
(03-20-2017, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Xliskin

A globally popular new IP
Neoxon
(03-20-2017, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Xliskin

So did Game Freak go to the future & find out that this new IP would be globally popular?
Burning Justice
(03-20-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by LordKano

As far as I know, 100% correct.

Nope. They said Zelda would miss the Switch launch.
dh4niel
(03-20-2017, 07:34 PM)
Drilldozer X Tembo the bad ass Elephant cross over RPG.
KAL2006
(03-20-2017, 07:45 PM)
I reckon they will release Pokémon Stars in 2018 even if it's ready for this year so Nintendo have a larger userbase and have a Switch price drop next year.

Then i reckon a true next gen Pokemon game will release in 2020.
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(03-20-2017, 07:48 PM)

Originally Posted by JoeM86

And nobody was surprised. This would probably be for Gen 8 of which development has just begun

I was hoping itd been in development since before Sun/Moon and thats why Masuda wasnt directing those. Maybe he was just helping with Pokemon Go and thats it
KAL2006
(03-20-2017, 07:48 PM)

I swear i read somewhere Gamefreak wasn't planning to even do a Ruby and Sapphire remake but ended up doing it due to fan demand. I think this time around they will avoid remakes. They will get back into making 3rd versions or sequels like Black and White 2