• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SatoAilDarko
(03-20-2017, 05:23 PM)
So I'm planning to play through the following before playing Breath if the Wild this summer when hard mode drops:

Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest
Majora's Mask 3D
Wind Waker HD Hero Mode
Twilight Princess HD

I originally played Twilight Princess on Wii in 2007 then Wind Waker the year after, Ocarina after that and started Majora's Mask but stopped after the first dungeon as with the 3DS release of Ocarina I assumed a similar one was coming for MM.

As such I plan to play the Master Quest on Ocarina by editing the save file on cart with an Action Replay. I have decided not to play Hero mode on Twilight Princess as I feel it would be more different to play the world flipped from what I played before. Will just use the Ganondorf Amiibo to double damage taken.

Going back to these games I feel its best to go for 100% to make my playthroughs different. I actually did do 100% on Skyward Sword when that game launched.

I'm afraid of Ocarina and Wind Waker. The 100 Skultullas quest does not sound like fun to do. Same for exploring the entire map in Wind Waker. The picture quest sounds super interesting by also I have to be careful of missing one-time only ones. Does the HD version make any of that easier? I wish they was a way to put a completed quest file like with Ocarina to access the second quest. I did in fact finish the game once years ago and would dig the translated Hylian.

I'm also don't super love Ocarina and especially don't love Wind Waker so those games having more elaborate 100% (I like the way Majora's Bomber notebook works) doesn't sound great.

I'm wondering how people felt about going for 100% in these games as well as Zelda games in general considering I still have most of the handheld games in my backlog.

Comparative difficulty? Which one's did you find worth it?

Thanks for any answers.

Edit:

How hard is it to complete the sidequests for these games without using a guide?
Last edited by SatoAilDarko; 03-21-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Neoleo2143
(03-20-2017, 05:28 PM)
100% Majora's Mask, ALTTP, ALBW and the GB games are my favorites. Not too difficult but satisfying and in the case of ALBW, the breezy pacing makes it really fun.
LegendofLex
(03-20-2017, 05:30 PM)
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess are all pretty fun when it comes to getting all hearts + major collectibles.

The Wind Waker is a mixed bag, mostly due to how copy+pasted many of the islands are, as well as the number of things you find at sea vs on land (treasures, Big Octos, platforms, etc.).
Chainsawkitten
(03-20-2017, 05:31 PM)
I didn't bother with the photos in Wind Waker. The treasure chests weren't really much fun either.

The side quests and various characters in Majora's Mask are really the game's great strength so I'd recommend 100%-ing that (or just do all the Bomber's Notebook things).

I enjoyed completing all of Ocarina of Time as a kid but I don't think I'd go for that nowadays. I don't think that stuff really adds much to the game unless you're into collectibles for the sake of it. There's not much background to them.
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(03-20-2017, 05:32 PM)
Majora's Mask is probably the most fun to 100%, since the collectibles are mostly the Masks and they all have neat side quests and often interesting effects in their own right. Ocarina of Time is good on this front too, although the Golden Skultulas can drag. Twilight Princess is pushing it - there's way too many Poes and they play out more or less the same. The Wind Waker is just outright dull to 100% and I'd recommend not doing it.
dmaul1114
(03-20-2017, 05:32 PM)
Honestly, as much as I love the games I don't think I've ever 100% any of them.

Several I've made sure to do all the side quests, get al the mini-game rewards etc. but I don't think I've ever gotten all the heart pieces etc. even in those games. Just no incentive to for me as I'm not that big on exploration once I've seen all the story/NPC bits and done all the gameplay stuff (mini games etc.).

That said, Majora's Mask was the most fun to do MOST of the activities as it has the best and most varied side quests and NPCs IMO.
Gai Murakumo
(03-20-2017, 05:34 PM)
Out of all of them the most important one to 100% because it adds so much to the story and characters in the game is Majora's Mask. It is not too difficult to 100% especially in the 3DS remake. The others you can live without 100% completing and some of them can be a real slog.
maxcriden
(03-20-2017, 05:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Chainsawkitten

The side quests and various characters in Majora's Mask are really the game's great strength so I'd recommend 100%-ing that (or just do all the Bomber's Notebook things).

Seconded, and honestly if you do 100% the Bomber's Notebook you'll be 90% it more to full completion of the game so you may as well do it all. And in the 3DS version there are some QoL improvements which help a lot without being too hand-holdy IMO.

BTW with WWHD I think you can get photos you missed through a Miiverse feature.
entremet
(03-20-2017, 05:36 PM)
Has anyone 100 percent BOTW yet?

Sounds insane with the wood fairies things.
Paltheos
(03-20-2017, 05:36 PM)
If there were one Zelda game you're to 100%, I'd pick Majora's Mask. 3 reasons:

1) More than other Zelda titles, the meat of that game is in the optional content.
2) The content is actually really good.
3) There are rewards for getting everything.
13ruce
(03-20-2017, 05:37 PM)

Originally Posted by entremet

Yes but getting it legit without a guide might take months lol.

I hope one 100% BotW speedrun happens must probably be atleast 30 hours long lol.
Jazzem
(03-20-2017, 05:38 PM)
For what it's worth, Twilight Princess was the first one I got all the heart pieces in. Fortune teller is super handy for that.

Might be a bit of a hassle, but it may be worth making a text document for the other games keeping track of what collectibles you've picked up.
Hazzuh
(03-20-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by entremet

Someone got all of the Korok seeds so I assume they finished every other bit of the game too.
fredrancour
(03-20-2017, 05:40 PM)
the bombers' notebook is still the best collection of sidequests in the franchise so I'd say MM is the most worth doing.

if your definition of 100%in wind waker will include the photography quest, I'd say that's the most tedious one.
SatoAilDarko
(03-20-2017, 05:45 PM)

Originally Posted by fredrancour

the bombers' notebook is still the best collection of sidequests in the franchise so I'd say MM is the most worth doing.

if your definition of 100%in wind waker will include the photography quest, I'd say that's the most tedious one.

I was just about to ask if the pictobox quest is worth it on its own?

That at least seemed way more interesting to me than exploring all the islands and getting all the treasure. You can at least see various NPCs and make figurines.
QuixoticNeutral
(03-20-2017, 05:59 PM)
I actually found The Wind Waker's 100% to be the best and most consistently satisfying, whereas with other games that were a smooth ride to 99% (like Skyward Sword and ALBW), there was always one minigame, maybe two, that was a roadblock and not an especially fun one either. For TWW, it's easy to spot what you haven't done yet, zip over to the appropriate square on the map, figure out what's going on in that area, and clean it up. There is also enough variety in the challenges, settings, and rewards to keep the thrill of discovery alive, and a systematic compactness to it all that feels very brisk in retrospect, especially in the wake of Breath of the Wild.

It's the only Zelda 100% I've filled out multiple times, and I've enjoyed it on every occasion. (And before that, there was at least one completion that I thought was 100%, only I missed some things that I didn't even know existed.) I can't think of any particular obstacle that was anomalously tedious; it's very well paced and tuned.

As others have said, though, it's Majora's Mask where the content off the main path is the real meat and potatoes of the game. Speeding through the main quest and dungeons to the end credits doesn't count as having seen Majora's Mask. Where 100% is concerned, though, while the NPC content is exceptional I'm not as fond of some of the optional challenges.

TP is the only one I would be hesitant to recommend: the main trunk is superb but it's a Zelda game where I thought a lot of the optional content dropped the ball. The Poes and the bug hunt are just not interesting. Of the various "spot the location" collectibles in the Zelda series, I found BotW's Koroks to be far more varied and rewarding than OoT's Skulltulas or TP's nearest equivalents.

Originally Posted by SatoAilDarko

The picture quest sounds super interesting by also I have to be careful of missing one-time only ones. Does the HD version make any of that easier?

Yes, very much so. The camera now holds twelve shots at a time (it was three on the GameCube), Miiverse sharing covers a lot of the ones you might miss, and content formerly locked to the link-up with the GBA no longer has an external requirement (though I think people without GBAs were fine with not counting it towards 100% all along). It is now possible and even quite easy to complete the Nintendo Gallery on your first run, with no need for the New Game+.
Conkerkid11
Banned
(03-20-2017, 06:12 PM)
Majora's Mask.

Best reward for 100%.
bennywhatever
(03-20-2017, 06:17 PM)
You could do Link's Awakening. It'll only take ~ 10 hours or less to 100%.

-Lvl2 Sword (or all shells. There are more shells than needed for the sword and once you get it, the shell locations turn into rupees).
-Boomerang
-All Hearts
-100% of map

I think that's it. It's a fairly easy 100%
ghibli99
(03-20-2017, 06:19 PM)
I've enjoyed 100%'ing all of the Zeldas... although I do consider 100% to be getting all the heart containers, not necessarily collecting every collectible. That's fun to me... finding all Poes, Skulltulas, etc.? Not so fun.
entremet
(03-20-2017, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Hazzuh

Someone got all of the Korok seeds so I assume they finished every other bit of the game too.

900 right? Good lord even following a check list.
The Hermit
(03-20-2017, 08:53 PM)
I 100% all of them, longest was TP, with less than 50hr.

I am 70hr in Botw and about 10 hrs to finish the main story. Not even close to 100% it
fredrancour
(03-20-2017, 08:55 PM)

I was just about to ask if the pictobox quest is worth it on its own?

That at least seemed way more interesting to me than exploring all the islands and getting all the treasure. You can at least see various NPCs and make figurines.

the main thing that made me decide I didn't care in the original release was the tiny capacity of the camera. IDK if the memory increase in HD was enough to make it worthwhile.

i really liked the idea of the quest, too, but I didn't want to be running to the figurine NPC that often.
Last edited by fredrancour; 03-20-2017 at 09:11 PM.
lord_of_flood
(03-20-2017, 08:55 PM)
Majora's Mask is the only one worth completing 100% because of the stories in the side quests and the masks generally being cool rewards.
Remembrance
(03-20-2017, 09:01 PM)
I distinctly remember giving up on my last heart container in Majora's Mask because there were exactly four heart pieces tied to minigames I couldn't beat. Bombchus were the worst, as I recall.

Is this something that I'm remembering as much worse than it actually is?
themagicalkitsune
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
Chiming in with the rest of the responses on 100%ing Majora's Mask. All the mask sidequests are fun. Termina is a pretty small but densely packed land and there's stuff to do at every corner without the need to travel far.

Also getting all the masks is necessary for a story-related item that makes Link OP in the final boss fight, which is all the more reason to get them.

Majora's Mask also has the advantage of not being too annoying with the collectibles. Getting all the fairies can be a little tough but at least they're all concentrated in a single dungeon. Same with the gold skulltulas, which are now located in two spider houses on the world map instead of all over the place. In addition, the Bomber's notebook keeps every sidequest neat and tidy and you get a mark when you complete one, so filling the entire thing up is satisfying.

I never bothered to 100% Ocarina of Time because of the gold skulltulas. I think the most I got was 94/100 in the regular version and 50-something / 100 in the Master Quest version (just enough to get that Heart Piece). I'm not going to search every acre of the world for 6 spiders and I won't resort to guides, so fuck that.
MoonFrog
(03-20-2017, 09:20 PM)
Hmmm...never bothered 100% SS or WW. Put more effort into the latter once upon a time, but every time I do SS I'm like "fuck the mini games" by the end and I just go kill the boss. Think I did 100% TP in the HD remake, but it wasn't particularly rewarding.

I have 100% OoT, MM, and aLttP. I think OoTs skultulas are the least meaningful content in those three, at least pushing them to 100%.

But that's the thing, I think most Zeldas 100% is not so fulfilling, but getting the core extras and challenges done is.
Thud
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
I always do 100% items. Playing shitty minigames for a piece of heart, no thanks.

Majora's Mask is the best for this.
Orgen
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
Wind waker remains the only 3D Zelda (besides BotW) that I didn't complete 100%. The photos quest was too much for me and I even didn't get all the heart containers.

I'll try to do it in the HD version but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it as the other games.
Okamid3n
(03-20-2017, 09:37 PM)
I think I 100%'d ALBW. Definitely the best to 100% as far as I'm concerned.

I got to 2-3 heart pieces left in ALTTP multiple times and didn't bother finding them.

Got all the masks and fairies in MM, but definitely not all the hearts.

There's no way I'd ever try to 100% the others! I'm not big on collectibles, besides ALBW's ones because they give you a general idea of where the missing ones are. It's just not fun at all to not know what you're missing/where to start looking.
kunonabi
(03-20-2017, 09:40 PM)
aLttP
aLBW
Skyward Sword
Spirit Tracks
Majora's Mask

Those were the only ones I felt were really satisfying to 100%
MTC100
(03-20-2017, 09:49 PM)
Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask were the only Zeldas I did 100% -Oh well you might say Zelda 1 on the NES too, now that I think of it. -Didn't ever finish the second version in Zelda 1 though, got stuck in the game and never returned...
Deku Tree
(03-20-2017, 09:52 PM)
Read about the struggle to get 100% on the map in BotW omg.

Some Korok seeds are not listed in the guide, or there are two Korok seeds in the same spot in a few places where the map only lists one.

Also location finding is part of the 100% completion, and at least six locations are not listed on the official map in the guide.
King Awesome
(03-20-2017, 10:10 PM)
I'm doing the Oracle games now and they're not so big that 100%ing them is a chore and there's lots of extra bonuses from linking the two games.

Of course, 100%ing them by its strictest definition is probably very time consuming as you have to play both games linked and unlinked (as there's differences). Plus, I think there's a Hero mode you unlock after beating a Linked game that adds another heart so 100%ing that is probably the only one that matters (and you have to do it for both games).

Edit: I forgot about all the rings that rely on RNG. 100%ing these games would be a massive chore.
Last edited by King Awesome; 03-21-2017 at 12:37 AM.
jph139
(03-20-2017, 10:14 PM)
OoT isn't bad at all. I 100%ed it during my last playthrough a few years ago without even really trying... the Skulltulas are the worst bit but if you're paying attention, none of them are especially hard.
psychowave
(03-20-2017, 10:19 PM)
Out of the 3D ones, Majora's Mask is the only one that's actually really fun and rewarding to 100% imo.
SatoAilDarko
(03-21-2017, 02:21 AM)
Thanks for all the answers.

You see the thing is I don't really ever replay games. Especially longer games like Zelda. But since I bought all these remasters (mainly for the statues and Ocarina came with the system) I feel I should play them.

And how much better than in order right before BOTW? And since I don't want to replay the exact same game again I thought going for 100% this time would make it feel different and worthwhile.

Ocarina with Master Quest seems worth it on its own yo say I've done it. I loved the Skyloft quests helping all the villages in Skyward Sword so I'll definitely 100% Majora. Twilight Princess may be my favorite Zelda and with the fortune teller I'll definitely go for 100%.

That leaves Wind Waker. You see I really don't like Wind Waker. It's the one I least want to revisit. I thought maybe going for 100% may help me appreciate it more but it sounds tedious. Something I always felt about the game. I don't care about feeding a fish to chart a section of sea.

The pictures are interesting and I may do those on their own but how tedious is that with the new HD features? Do I have to explore a lot of the map to get rare NPC's?

Without something extra I feel it would be such a waste of my time just to play that game again. But it fits perfectly in this remake playthrough.
SatoAilDarko
(03-21-2017, 04:53 PM)
Apologies for the double post.

I just thought of something to ask that I've edited into the OP.

How hard is it to complete the sidequests for these games without using a guide?

For instance the sidequests on Windfall Island or the Biggoron Sword sidequest in Ocarina?

Thanks again.
Chinbo37
(03-21-2017, 05:20 PM)
Wind Waker is definitely do able with no major challenges. The toughest part is the photo/figurine collecting and that is only tough because it involves a lot of sailing/back tracking. A couple figurines are missable too so its best to check a guide if you are not sure.
Thud
(03-21-2017, 05:26 PM)

Apologies for the double post.

I just thought of something to ask that I've edited into the OP.

For instance the sidequests on Windfall Island or the Biggoron Sword sidequest in Ocarina?

Thanks again.

You may want to use a guide for heartpieces and optional sidequests. For Wind Waker you may need some guide for locations and such.
tkscz
(03-21-2017, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by lord_of_flood

Majora's Mask is the only one worth completing 100% because of the stories in the side quests and the masks generally being cool rewards.

Pretty much this. There is no 100% reward in any other Zelda but MM.