• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ronaldthump
(03-20-2017, 08:59 PM)
I sort of forgot to post this when I was travelling last month but this month, I was on a plane again and I tried to play SMR on the plane - a $10 game that I paid for - I really don't have many games on the ipad but it is one I own and I couldn't even play it. Couldn't believe it. Stared at the game in disbelief; good thing I had a kindle with me.

If there's any sign that Nintendo fucked up the structure of their game design/pricing and not allowing them to rake in the big bucks this is it. Not to mention just how ass-backwards it is. Should have been X dollars for the full game, fully unlocked and then they can do iOS store sales every now and then to rake in more money and climb up the charts and make more money. It shouldn't be hard to fix with a patch no? I'm really quite surprised they haven't been more agile with the software and fixed the way the game works already.
Cyanity
(03-20-2017, 09:01 PM)
You can't play Mario Run offline? That's awful if so.
samn
yuuuuup.
(03-20-2017, 09:02 PM)
It has nothing to do with their pricing structure.
LordRaptor
(03-20-2017, 09:03 PM)
Its an anti-piracy measure.

Originally Posted by ronaldthump

If there's any sign that Nintendo fucked up the structure of their game design/pricing and not allowing them to rake in the big bucks this is it. Not to mention just how ass-backwards it is. Should have been X dollars for the full game, fully unlocked

Isn't that exactly what it is? even to the extent that X is the roman numeral for 10
Garrett Hawke
(03-20-2017, 09:03 PM)
this has been known since before the game even came out.
EnergizerFellow
(03-20-2017, 09:04 PM)
Piracy is so pervasive on mobile that they don't really have a choice. Plus unless you're literally on a plane or boat in the middle of nowhere, your phone will have some kind of internet access, at least for a license check anyways.
Lothars
(03-20-2017, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by EnergizerFellow

Piracy is so pervasive on mobile that they don't really have a choice. Plus unless you're literally on a plane or boat in the middle of nowhere, your phone will have some kind of internet access, at least for a license check anyways.

They absolutely had a choice and they made the wrong one, They made a game that isn't very good and overly expensive.
cw_sasuke
(03-20-2017, 09:06 PM)
Its been know that you need to be online to play the game - dont know why you expected the game to make an exception for you. Sure it sucks if you dont have access, but its not like they hid the fact.

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

I

Isn't that exactly what it is? even to the extent that X is the roman numeral for 10

lol

Originally Posted by Lothars

They absolutely had a choice and they made the wrong one, They made a game that isn't very good and overly expensive.

If thats the case....that the game isnt good and too expensive - there is no reason to get worked up about it...bullet dodged.
Living the Dream
(03-20-2017, 09:06 PM)

So you're okay with punishing honest customers?
Wowfunhappy
(03-20-2017, 09:08 PM)
I wouldn't all it "broken" but yeah it really freaking sucks.

I'm slightly less annoyed about it on mobile than I would be on other platforms, but it's still really sucky. Made playing on the subway super annoying.

Still the most fun I've ever had with a mobile game.
oakenhild
(03-20-2017, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Living the Dream

Do you have a better alternative? What other options are there? Online-only was put in for an obvious reason.

I bought the game at $10 and don't really have any regrets. Didn't get an awful lot of play time out of it though.
Shiggy

Originally Posted by cw_sasuke

Its been know that you need to be online to play the game - dont know why you expected the game to make an exception for you. Sure it sucks if you dont have access, but its not like they hid the fact.

On the Google Play page it's a bit hidden in the description, but it's indeed there:

"*Internet connectivity required to play. Data charges may apply."
jonno394
Banned

I'm ok with someone selling you a game that is always online as long as they advise you that it's always online and you make the decision to buy the game knowing this requirement.

If they don't advertise the fact an online connection is required then that's an issue.
daman824
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
The game would have made plenty of money if they hadn't put in the online check. They weren't forced to do anything
cw_sasuke
(03-20-2017, 09:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Shiggy

On the Google Play page it's a bit hidden in the description, but it's indeed there:

"*Internet connectivity required to play. Data charges may apply."

The initial download is also free - once you start playing i think their is another prompt saying that online is required.
NOLA_Gaffer
Nintendo doesn't want people to play their game without paying for it, especially since piracy is so rampant on the Android platform.

I love the game and I honestly wish I could keep playing it but it's a bit shite on my iPhone 5c. Looking forward to finishing it up when I pick up a iPhone SE sometime between now and the end of April.
brad-t

You're not being "punished." Don't like, don't buy. (I didn't.)
LOLDSFAN

Originally Posted by daman824

The game would have made plenty of money if they hadn't put in the online check. They weren't forced to do anything

Source?
Phrozenflame500
(03-20-2017, 09:12 PM)
Can't say I'm particularly fond of always-online DRM. Probably a no-go for me.
andrerobot
(03-20-2017, 09:13 PM)

rekt
BravesCountry
I already knew it was online only but the same thing happened to me because I had briefly forgotten. I never really play mobile games but I was on a plane a couple weeks ago bored out of my mind and was looking to see if I had any games and Mario Run was one of the only games I had available. I was like oh shit nice, then clicked on the app and was hit with the online connectivity issue. I was like oh I guess I won't ever be playing this game then.
Last edited by BravesCountry; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
1st Course
You aren't really missing on much. Game sucks ass.
Steve Youngblood
Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.
(03-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
I really don't want to come across as defending the decision, but it's kind of hard for me to rally behind this particular offense just because I thought it was widely known that this was the case. Again, this isn't me being a corporate apologist and trying to convince you that they had to go always online for very, very good reasons. I just feel like for better or worse I thought this was pretty well understood.
jrh2
Banned
(03-20-2017, 09:15 PM)
Piracy is pretty rampant on mobile devices, especially Android, so I understand why they did it. Still sucks, though.
khaaan
(03-20-2017, 09:15 PM)
It's unfortunate but isn't the requirement of an internet connection common for a lot of games? Even those that don't have a multi-player component?
Lothars
(03-20-2017, 09:16 PM)

If thats the case....that the game isnt good and too expensive - there is no reason to get worked up about it...bullet dodged.

I played through it and got all the coins, I am beyond dissapointed about it and the online only part of it doesn't help at all.

Originally Posted by khaaan

It's unfortunate but isn't the requirement of an internet connection common for a lot of games? Even those that don't have a multi-player component?

Nope a good portion of mobile games don't require it.
NimbusD
(03-20-2017, 09:17 PM)
If I can download Netflix or YouTube videos for offline play, I should be able to play a single player game offline. It's the same with fire emblem. Really shitty and I stopped playing the first time I tried playing it on the subway and realized I can't. When else would I even play a mobile game other than when I'm commuting? So much for Nintendo games on mobile.
daman824
(03-20-2017, 09:17 PM)

Originally Posted by LOLDSFAN

Source?

What do you mean? It's a Nintendo game released on phones. I don't believe they had to put an anti-piracy online check to make money off of the game. They would have made money regardless
ryseing
(03-20-2017, 09:18 PM)

Originally Posted by NimbusD

If I can download Netflix or YouTube videos for offline play, I should be able to play a single player game offline. It's the same with fire emblem. Really shitty and I stopped playing the first time I tried playing it on the subway and realized I can't. When else would I even play a mobile game other than when I'm commuting? So much for Nintendo games on mobile.

Fire Emblem has a bit more justification because of arena cheating reasons. Gachas in general tend to be online only as well.
DAREALGUMMY
(03-20-2017, 09:19 PM)

Ayyyyeee

At this point, my interest has fallen off. On Android and it's taken too long for me to care.
neoglow
Banned
(03-20-2017, 09:19 PM)
Terrible design choice by Nintendo. Piracy blah blah blah, yeah if I'm sat on the loo somewhere and have no signal - or internet signal for that matter - what's the point of making it a mobile game if I can't play it?

If every game on my phone required an internet connection to run it would be shit.
Taliban Stan
(03-20-2017, 09:20 PM)

Can't argue with that.
JCX
Isn't this true of most big mobile games now? That's a big part of why I don't play mobile games.
jstripes

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

Nintendo doesn't want people to play their game without paying for it, especially since piracy is so rampant on the Android platform.

Also, aren't all your stats stored server-side to prevent cheating? Many Japanese-developed mobile games are like this, especially the gatcha kind.
BernardoOne

Originally Posted by khaaan

Not really no, just about every Android game that i own that isn't multiplayer-only works offline.

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

I love the game and I honestly wish I could keep playing it but it's a bit shite on my iPhone 5c. Looking forward to finishing it up when I pick up a iPhone SE sometime between now and the end of April.

Well, they pretty much guaranteed I'm not going to pay for it thanks to this dumb decision, so great job I guess.
djlr181
(03-20-2017, 09:21 PM)

There are many places where a person might not have internet connection. I and many others have a daily commute in an underground metro/subway where Super Mario Run is unplayable.
LordRaptor
(03-20-2017, 09:21 PM)

What do you mean? It's a Nintendo game released on phones. I don't believe they had to put an anti-piracy online check to make money off of the game. They would have made money regardless

On platforms where piracy is easy and rampant, the amount of sales lost due to piracy is less than 100% but greater than zero.
WordAssassin
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Steve Youngblood

I really don't want to come across as defending the decision, but it's kind of hard for me to rally behind this particular offense just because I thought it was widely known that this was the case. Again, this isn't me being a corporate apologist and trying to convince you that they had to go always online for very, very good reasons. I just feel like for better or worse I thought this was pretty well understood.

Yeah there was at least one if not more thread here about it when it came out for iOS, if not before it's release even. This was very well known.
Gai Murakumo
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
Tons of games and apps nowadays require some form of internet connection whether it be WiFi or data. It sucks I know but it is just reality. The authentication check is there to make sure that it knows you are not playing a pirated copy. Now an offline version would be nice, however I would not expect Nintendo to do that.
mollipen
(03-20-2017, 09:23 PM)

Or a subway. Or in any country you're not from. Or in plenty of buildings I've been in where internet signals suddenly drop out.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(03-20-2017, 09:23 PM)

On platforms where piracy is easy and rampant, the amount of sales lost due to piracy is less than 100% but greater than zero.

And do you think these measures prevent that? A quick search shows it's cracked. People who have a jailbroken iPhone (Since Android isn't even out yet) can already get the cracked version.

This only impacts people who paid money.
Dishwalla
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
I'd be more upset about this if the game was better, but yeah it's not really that good of a game, so ultimately I don't really care. Just glad I didn't spend the 10 bucks on it.
riotous
I understand the piracy excuse; however I still find it strange. I have loads of games on my iPhone and have never once not been able to play them; I don't think any of them require a connection, certainly not the simple single-player only games like Mario Run.
Vigilant Gambit
I fell out of love with Super Mario Run when the connection would occasionally drop with my wifi, interrupting my run, and then making me unable to reconnect.

Between that, and hitches in-game due to, again, not constantly being able to maintain bandwidth (even on 4G), I think I'm done with it. Which is a shame, because otherwise, it would be my go-to mobile game.

Edit:

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

And do you think these measures prevent that? A quick search shows it's cracked. People who have a jailbroken iPhone (Since Android isn't even out yet) can already get the cracked version.

I had to download a jailbreak tweak in order to play the copy of the game that I bought. The tweak masks the jailbreak to the app. Looks like I'll have to pirate software for the first time in a very long time if I want to actually enjoy the product I bought, but I don't know if I'll even be able to play online that way.
kobu
(03-20-2017, 09:26 PM)
Yea I didn't buy it because the only time I would play it is on the subway where I constantly lose connection.
Griss
(03-20-2017, 09:27 PM)
Yet another reason mobile gaming is bullshit. I was just on an airplane and had the same experience with multiple mobile games. It's the exact time you'd want to play them, but no can do.

What's worse is this bizarre geolocation shit - something that I don't even understand how it works. I have two sim cards - one for Europe and one for the Caribbean. Roaming is too pricey for someone who spends a lot of time in both regions to do it any other way.

So I can buy or play games on one sim, but replace the sim and I can no longer play the game. Why the hell is this the case? So I've currently lost access to Fire Emblem heroes despite it being safely installed on my phone, and attached to my Nintendo Network account, all because I've switched out a sim.

I'm not even mentioning horrific battery life, performance issues, interruptions from other apps / messages etc.

Add it all up and it's such a shit platform to play games on and not worth the time when you could just listen to a podcast and play games on a proper device later on.
oti
(03-20-2017, 09:28 PM)

Originally Posted by ronaldthump

I sort of forgot to post this when I was travelling last month but this month, I was on a plane again and I tried to play SMR on the plane - a $10 game that I paid for - I really don't have many games on the ipad but it is one I own and I couldn't even play it. Couldn't believe it. Stared at the game in disbelief; good thing I had a kindle with me.

If there's any sign that Nintendo fucked up the structure of their game design/pricing and not allowing them to rake in the big bucks this is it. Not to mention just how ass-backwards it is. Should have been X dollars for the full game, fully unlocked and then they can do iOS store sales every now and then to rake in more money and climb up the charts and make more money. It shouldn't be hard to fix with a patch no? I'm really quite surprised they haven't been more agile with the software and fixed the way the game works already.

You don't seem to grasp the mobile market. Always online is just piracy protection. Jailbreak your phone, download a cracked APK, voilĂ  piracy. It's that easy. Asking costumers for a constant online connection makes piracy more difficult.

But of course, it suuuuuuuuucks.

Originally Posted by riotous

I understand the piracy excuse; however I still find it strange. I have loads of games on my iPhone and have never once not been able to play them; I don't think any of them require a connection, certainly not the simple single-player only games like Mario Run.

I'd imagine those loads of games don't have a single IAP that unlock the full game for 10 bucks. Mario Run is an alien in the mobile market. It shouldn't work. But because it's Mario it does, to some extent.
Last edited by oti; 03-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-20-2017, 09:29 PM)

Originally Posted by BernardoOne

Well, they pretty much guaranteed I'm not going to pay for it thanks to this dumb decision, so great job I guess.

I feel like Nintendo crunched the numbers and they probably stood to lose more money from piracy than from folks deciding not to purchase the game due to the "always online" requirement.

It's unfortunate, but I imagine Nintendo would much rather lose a sale from a customer that doesn't like the "always online" requirement than have 1,000 others be able to play the game without paying for it.
Last edited by NOLA_Gaffer; 03-20-2017 at 09:33 PM.
riotous
(03-20-2017, 09:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Griss

So I can buy or play games on one sim, but replace the sim and I can no longer play the game. Why the hell is this the case?

So that you can't sell a cell phone with a bunch of games installed that the purchaser doesn't have a license for.
LordRaptor
(03-20-2017, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

Like most anti-piracy measures; people determined to pirte will, legitimate consumers get an inferior product.

I'm not defending it - I think always online DRM is bullshit and won't ever buy a game that has it, and I don't have an iDevice so its moot anyway - I'm just saying that its an anti-piracy measure and that such measures result in a number larger than zero more sales than no measure.

What that actual number is I have no idea and nor does anyone else.