• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Novel Mike
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:45 AM)
Novel Mike's Avatar

Originally Posted by MSMrRound

It functions, but it's not quite the 5/5 standard that we Atlus fans usually associated with them.

There was a thread posted up yesterday regarding a site that tried taking a look at the localization that was in Persona 5. It's pretty well researched and you can feel free to take a look if you are interested. http://www.personaproblems.com/

Honestly playing through P5 again on NG+ its really easy to notice that the localization is a freaking mess. I didn't even think it was bad the first time through but hearing certain lines a second time through really makes them stand out and not make any real sense in English. That site does a fantastic job of pointing out the various problems and constricting how long this game was delayed from the Japanese release its a rather huge oversight that so many various issues are constantly showing up.
SuperBanana
(04-21-2017, 11:45 AM)
SuperBanana's Avatar
Where the hell are the safe rooms in the 3rd dungeon? I've found only 1 and up to the room full of money and it asks if you're ready for the strong persona battle. I'm too low on sp to fight but I don't want to lose so much progress. :(
kromeo
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:47 AM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

soooooooooo i just heard a rumour you can draw on the chalkboard in front of class and sometimes it gives you a free guts sub-point? Can anyone verify?

Not sure but I got a knowledge point from watching the TV at leblanc one day
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-21-2017, 11:47 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
I think that was the advantage of P4's plot being not as actively pursued as P5. P4's structure is pretty basic but very, very solid, with each dungeon putting their central character as both aggressor and victim. It means each dungeon is self contained emotionally yet still links to the main plot, but doesn't need to actually grapple that much with specifics very often. Not only that but the downtime between dungeons often doesn't actually need to concentrate on the major plot too often, meaning there was more time to just fuck around.

P5 on the other hand (major spoils) is trying to weave everything around an ongoing storyline and a themeatic angle that actively hinders forming a great sense of relaxation and funtimes like the p4 group had going.

That said I disagree that the P5 gang feel more like co-workers necessarily, they're maybe not as tight as P4 but they are much better than P3 who really felt to me like a bunch of strangers who had to work together until, like, November. Pretty much everyone in P5 gels immediately imho. The enhanced mannerisms and animation factor at hideouts etc really helps, I have to say.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(04-21-2017, 11:49 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

soooooooooo i just heard a rumour you can draw on the chalkboard in front of class and sometimes it gives you a free guts sub-point? Can anyone verify?

You can throughout the game and see your class reaction, there's also story related stuff on the board in the back for each arc.

Later game stuff: You get guts for drawing the logo in late october/november when their rep goes to shit.
cheesekao
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:51 AM)
cheesekao's Avatar
Oh hey, Goro's English VA is the same as Prompto's. I knew it sounded familiar.
StereoVsn
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:55 AM)
StereoVsn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yu Narukami

What are guys playing after P5? I completed Nioh, Yakuza and Nier before P5. It has been a good year.

Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon are also pretty good and not on your list.
Novel Mike
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:56 AM)
Novel Mike's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

I think that was the advantage of P4's plot being not as actively pursued as P5. P4's structure is pretty basic but very, very solid, with each dungeon putting their central character as both aggressor and victim. It means each dungeon is self contained emotionally yet still links to the main plot, but doesn't need to actually grapple that much with specifics very often. Not only that but the downtime between dungeons often doesn't actually need to concentrate on the major plot too often, meaning there was more time to just fuck around.

P5 on the other hand (major spoils) is trying to weave everything around an ongoing storyline and a themeatic angle that actively hinders forming a great sense of relaxation and funtimes like the p4 group had going.

That said I disagree that the P5 gang feel more like co-workers necessarily, they're maybe not as tight as P4 but they are much better than P3 who really felt to me like a bunch of strangers who had to work together until, like, November. Pretty much everyone in P5 gels immediately imho. The enhanced mannerisms and animation factor at hideouts etc really helps, I have to say.

I'll agree that its better then in P3 but various events throughout Persona 5 really lack a real feeling of friendship until the plot forces it. Everyone is always calling Ryuji an idiot and he doesn't help that ever, They are always saying how weird Yusuke is, No one considers Morgana's feelings about anything (not even talking about what happens around the time of Palace 5), ect. To put it another way, outside of a plot based sequence when do you think this time actually comes together to be friends?
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-21-2017, 12:03 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
giving people shit is a time honoured traditional way to be friends. yusuke doesn't even blink really.

i think the groupchats are a great example of them just hanging out (and an economical one). I just wish they weren't so often recaps of what just happened...
I'm almost done with the game, I'd say the game is just on par with Persona 4 actually.

Story: 5 > 4
Cast: 5 < 4
Dungeon Design: 5 > 4
Localization: 5 < 4

I think I find the localization lacking since the characters here have less charisma and togetherness compared to 4.
witchedwiz
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)
witchedwiz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yu Narukami

What are guys playing after P5? I completed Nioh, Yakuza and Nier before P5. It has been a good year.

i have to play
nioh (owned)
yazuka (owned)
nier (owned)
latest atelier (owned)
horizon zero dawn (owned)
zelda (still to buy even.. sigh)
plus until the end of the year there are
new operation babel game for ps vita
caligula effect for ps vita
god wars (ps4??)
mary skelter ps vita
utawarerumono mask of deception
utawarerumono mask of truth
tokyo xanadu (or e+ version, have yet to decide)
valkyria revolution
ys origin
summon night 6
dangaronpa v3
ys 8
rime
splatoon 2
super mario odyssey (supposedly still coming this year)
tekken 7 (ahahah)
guilty gear xrd rev 2 (ahahah)
telltale's guardian of the galaxy
syberia 3
injustice 2
dark rose valkyrie
final fantasy xii
middle earth shadow of war
yakuza kiwami
dawn of war 3
fe: shadow of valtencia
harvest moon

sigh...
I need to quit my job to actually play all this stuff, and even then it's not enough time..
really, i miss being a kid and just messing around the whole day :X
Philippo
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)
Philippo's Avatar
Man that Pulinpa exploit with Memento bosses is legit, shame i don't have the patience to keep going otherwise i would have cashed so much money.
Zafir
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:08 PM)
Zafir's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

giving people shit is a time honoured traditional way to be friends. yusuke doesn't even blink really.

i think the groupchats are a great example of them just hanging out (and an economical one). I just wish they weren't so often recaps of what just happened...

Pretty much. Not to mention, you can get into debates with friends - you aren't going to agree on absolutely everything.

If I'm honest I found Persona 4's group dynamic pretty silly. No one is ever instantly BFF's.

That said, I am kind of sad at the lack of bonding scenes in 5. As mentioned above, they all seem to go awry for whatever reason.
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:08 PM)
Thud's Avatar
The school events in P5 are all a bit disappointing, but I think it's done deliberately.

Especially the Hawaii trip.
kromeo
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:12 PM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ULTROS!

I'm almost done with the game, I'd say the game is just on par with Persona 4 actually.

Story: 5 > 4
Cast: 5 < 4
Dungeon Design: 5 > 4
Localization: 5 < 4

Story 3>5>4
Cast 4>3>5
Dungeons 5>>>>4>3
Music 3>4>5
Overall 3>5>4

Won't include 2, it felt too different to compare
Zafir
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:15 PM)
Zafir's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thud

The school events in P5 are all a bit disappointing, but I think it's done deliberately.

Especially the Hawaii trip.

Oh, I think it probably was, but, just because it was a deliberate decision, doesn't make me feel much better about it.
Andrin
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:15 PM)
Got through the second palace the other day. This is my first Persona game, and I adore practically everything about it so far. There's so much style to everything, sneaking around as a thief is really fun, and I can't wait for the inevitable crazy twists that are bound to pop up.
I decided to follow that spoiler free guide for my first go, as that would give me more freedom to actually roleplay during NG+ without having to worry about messing things up. It's actually been pretty enjoyable to constantly see progress with every day that passes, and it gives me the challenge of having to complete each part of a palace in just one day.

My only complaint so far would be that I can't romance Ryuji. Yes he's kind of an impulsive moron, but he's my impulsive moron darnit!
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-21-2017, 12:17 PM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thud

The school events in P5 are all a bit disappointing, but I think it's done deliberately.

Especially the Hawaii trip.

it's definitely done deliberately, but it still sucks ass

I think that's what I really liked about Golden, that long Jan-Feb stretch where it's literally just 'yo fucking just hang out and also we're going skiing? Fuck YEAH'
Chaos17
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Novel Mike

snip

Persona 4 Golden added more social events that you can do with your S-links so their Persona get now 3 evolutions I've read in the wiki \o/ I need to play that version so badly.
Zaru
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:22 PM)
Zaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by kromeo

Dungeons 5>>>>4>3

It's hard to overstate just how much of an improvement the dungeons are.
Some people might not like particular puzzles/gimmicks, but the fact that dungeons are now more than just a series of random ass corridors is a massive step up.
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:27 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

it's definitely done deliberately, but it still sucks ass

I think that's what I really liked about Golden, that long Jan-Feb stretch where it's literally just 'yo fucking just hang out and also we're going skiing? Fuck YEAH'

Those events got added in Golden. Persona 5 The Phantom Rouge could do the same.
nOoblet16
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:29 PM)
nOoblet16's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaru

It's hard to overstate just how much of an improvement the dungeons are.
Some people might not like particular puzzles/gimmicks, but the fact that dungeons are now more than just a series of random ass corridors is a massive step up.

Some people would rather have the RNG dungeons than have designed dungeons. Because somehow going through randomly generated corridors that all look the same is more replayable than a designed dungeons with actual aesthetics and level design.

I mean that's like saying I'd rather have 100 pennies than have one hundred dollar bill because 100 > 1.
Novel Mike
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
Novel Mike's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaru

It's hard to overstate just how much of an improvement the dungeons are.
Some people might not like particular puzzles/gimmicks, but the fact that dungeons are now more than just a series of random ass corridors is a massive step up.

Yes and no, on a first playthrough? Sure its a massive step up, on repeat playthroughs it becomes a slog. Just thinking about having to do Kanashiro's palace again on NG+ almost immediately made me want to stop working on my NG+ file even if combat would be easy because the palace itself its not at all fun.

It doesn't help that many of them drag on way to long and generally revolve reusing the same puzzle over and over again (seriously Palace 7 is the freaking worst because of this).

Also Momentos sucks because it is basically a smaller version of Tartarus and doesn't take advantage of any of the new mechanics you get from the Palaces (like sneaking around and what not) it is never very good.

Persona 4's dungeons aren't great but at the very least outside of specific floors having the dungeons be randomized at least makes doing them again on a repeat playthrough a bit more interesting. It's not great mind you, I'll agree with that but its much more fun to replay through P4's dungeons then it is P5's palaces.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thud

Those events got added in Golden. Persona 5 The Phantom Rouge could do the same.

unless it's on switch or something i dunno if i can be bothered again tho (i say as I boot up bayo for the fifth time and prepare to NG+ persona 5 again)

/edit i totally forgot about 3-tier persona evolution. rise's was so dope, lmao.

rise best girl
Zafir
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:33 PM)
Zafir's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaru

It's hard to overstate just how much of an improvement the dungeons are.
Some people might not like particular puzzles/gimmicks, but the fact that dungeons are now more than just a series of random ass corridors is a massive step up.

Yeah.

I mean I've complained a lot about dungeons 5 and 7, but they're still miles ahead of the hallways in 3 and 4.

Originally Posted by Novel Mike


Persona 4's dungeons aren't great but at the very least outside of specific floors having the dungeons be randomized at least makes doing them again on a repeat playthrough a bit more interesting. It's not great mind you, I'll agree with that but its much more fun to replay through P4's dungeons then it is P5's palaces.

As someone who has done repeat playthroughs of both. I don't agree with this at all. :P

Just because it has a randomly generated structure doesn't make it better. It's still the same old wallpaper, with the same old enemies.
Last edited by Zafir; 04-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Megawarrior
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
Megawarrior's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

it's definitely done deliberately, but it still sucks ass

I think that's what I really liked about Golden, that long Jan-Feb stretch where it's literally just 'yo fucking just hang out and also we're going skiing? Fuck YEAH'

Yeah....none of that happens in the ps2 version (which made maxing social links in one go way harder than golden for me lol )
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:36 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

unless it's on switch or something i dunno if i can be bothered again tho (i say as I boot up bayo for the fifth time and prepare to NG+ persona 5 again)

/edit i totally forgot about 3-tier persona evolution. rise's was so dope, lmao.

rise best girl

You shut your mouth, inmate!!
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(04-21-2017, 12:38 PM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thud

You shut your mouth, inmate!!

senpai~!
nOoblet16
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:39 PM)
nOoblet16's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novel Mike

Yes and no, on a first playthrough? Sure its a massive step up, on repeat playthroughs it becomes a slog. Just thinking about having to do Kanashiro's palace again on NG+ almost immediately made me want to stop working on my NG+ file even if combat would be easy because the palace itself its not at all fun.

It doesn't help that many of them drag on way to long and generally revolve reusing the same puzzle over and over again (seriously Palace 7 is the freaking worst because of this).

Also Momentos sucks because it is basically a smaller version of Tartarus and doesn't take advantage of any of the new mechanics you get from the Palaces (like sneaking around and what not) it is never very good.

Persona 4's dungeons aren't great but at the very least outside of specific floors having the dungeons be randomized at least makes doing them again on a repeat playthrough a bit more interesting. It's not great mind you, I'll agree with that but its much more fun to replay through P4's dungeons then it is P5's palaces.

How is it more interesting and more replayable to go through randomly generated corridors that all look and play the exact same? This is one reason that I simply don't understand. Considering how similar all of them are even if they were not RNG you would not be able to feel the difference. It's just going through a floor that looks and plays identical to every other floor and run into dead ends until you find the stairs...Over and over again. Persona 5 has Mementos which is the same idea as previous games and I simply cannot see how anyone finds that more replayable in any sense.

As for Kaneshiro's palace, the palace is actually great. The entire reason it feels like a slog is because the first time it takes quite some long. On NG+ you can do the palace in like less than 2 hours...Infact even faster because the part that feels long near the end, you actually don't even have to do them as you can simply input the code (provided you know them, so just Google them) to open the locks without having to go around the rooms to find the combination.
Last edited by nOoblet16; 04-21-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Zaru
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:40 PM)
Zaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novel Mike

on repeat playthroughs it becomes a slog

I'm inclined to forgive a game that lasts me 100+ hours on a single playthrough for slacking on the replayability
Chaos17
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Zaru

It's hard to overstate just how much of an improvement the dungeons are.
Some people might not like particular puzzles/gimmicks, but the fact that dungeons are now more than just a series of random ass corridors is a massive step up.

My problem was it was the same gimmick for most the palaces specialy in the 7th palace (fack mouse xD). But really they should stop making too long corridor.
kromeo
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:43 PM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

rise best girl

PhantomThief
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 12:44 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar
Uhm Hi guys and gals! Im here to steal you hearts ;)

This was my first Persona game, I have put over 100 hours into it and it was what Inspired my username obviously! Really happy to post here finally!
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:46 PM)
Thud's Avatar
On NG+ you can skip a lot of dialogue and just rush dungeons.

I switched to safety since the fourth dungeon as the money gain is ridiculous. Cleared 11 requests in mementos yesterday, got 1 million yen just from the bosses.
LastMinuteHero
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:46 PM)
LastMinuteHero's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

As for Kaneshiro's palace, the palace is actually great. The entire reason it feels like a slog is because the first time it takes quite some long. On NG+ you can do the palace in like less than 2 hours...Infact even faster because the part that feels long near the end, you actually don't even have to do them as you can simply input the code (provided you know them, so just Google them) to open the locks without having to go around the rooms to find the combination.

This. I wish I had known this firsthand before dying multiple times in the last room:(
Zafir
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:57 PM)
Zafir's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

How is it more interesting and more replayable to go through randomly generated corridors that all look and play the exact same? This is one reason that I simply don't understand. Considering how similar all of them are even if they were not RNG you would not be able to feel the difference. It's just going through a floor that looks and plays identical to every other floor and run into dead ends until you find the stairs...Over and over again. Persona 5 has Mementos which is the same idea as previous games and I simply cannot see how anyone finds that more replayable in any sense.

As for Kaneshiro's palace, the palace is actually great. The entire reason it feels like a slog is because the first time it takes quite some long. On NG+ you can do the palace in like less than 2 hours...Infact even faster because the part that feels long near the end, you actually don't even have to do them as you can simply input the code (provided you know them, so just Google them) to open the locks without having to go around the rooms to find the combination.

Even running around and getting the codes, you can still do dungeon 3 in like an hour on NG+.

I've done dungeons 1 to 5 so far on NG+, and only 5 felt like a real drag because of the amount of running required, even when you know what you're doing. That took me about 2 hours, and that's taking into account the fact I didn't even participate in 50% of the fights due to Ryuji's social link skill.
Setreal
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 01:10 PM)
Setreal's Avatar
I'm sure this has been covered before - but just want to avoid spoilers!

Palace 7 Questions

I just went into palace 7 and got kicked out as per the story. Is it going to be similar to the previous dungeons in that if I do it right away I still have the rest of the time up to the deadline to do social links etc.? Or alternatively, what is the last day I can enter in order to finish on time (get to treasure, calling card, any additional force outs?)

Also, is this the last stretch of time in the game for doing social links etc?


Thanks!
Thickstone
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:16 PM)
Thickstone's Avatar
I'm almost done with palace 3 but I've completely lost the motivation to continue with the game. I don't know why. The game started so promising but I'm at 30h and nothing major has happened so far (regarding the plot in general). P4 had the whodunnit-advantage that worked in its favor but P5 so far is not that well paced.

Also, there's way too much unnecessary text. I started skipping most chat conversations since they are a whole lot of nothing.
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:17 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Setreal

I'm sure this has been covered before - but just want to avoid spoilers!

Palace 7 Questions

I just went into palace 7 and got kicked out as per the story. Is it going to be similar to the previous dungeons in that if I do it right away I still have the rest of the time up to the deadline to do social links etc.? Or alternatively, what is the last day I can enter in order to finish on time (get to treasure, calling card, any additional force outs?)

Also, is this the last stretch of time in the game for doing social links etc?


Thanks!

Yes, this one acts like a regular palace. With one exception party members are locked from confidants until you beat the Palace. It's also really long so bring SP items or take several days.
silva1991
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:17 PM)
silva1991's Avatar

Originally Posted by kromeo

Not even best girl in that game

nOoblet16
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:18 PM)
nOoblet16's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thud

Yes, this one acts like a regular palace. With one exception party members are locked from confidants until you beat the Palace. It's also really long so bring SP items or take several days.

They are only locked if you reach the treasure room, if you leave before reaching the room you can still work on it.
PhantomThief
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 01:20 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thickstone

I'm almost done with palace 3 but I've completely lost the motivation to continue with the game. I don't know why. The game started so promising but I'm at 30h and nothing major has happened so far (regarding the plot in general). P4 had the whodunnit-advantage that worked in its favor but P5 so far is not that well paced.

Also, there's way too much unnecessary text. I started skipping most chat conversations since they are a whole lot of nothing.

Woww what? The game is a hundred hours bro.. dont expect twists and turns at every second. There are periods of downtime as well where the story doesnt progress that much.

If I were you Id totally stick with it. The game gets so much better later on :).

(btw I did palace 7 in one day and was pretty proud of that hehe. Also did it with only Ann, Ryuji and Morgana)
Zafir
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:21 PM)
Zafir's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thickstone

I'm almost done with palace 3 but I've completely lost the motivation to continue with the game. I don't know why. The game started so promising but I'm at 30h and nothing major has happened so far (regarding the plot in general). P4 had the whodunnit-advantage that worked in its favor but P5 so far is not that well paced.

Also, there's way too much unnecessary text. I started skipping most chat conversations since they are a whole lot of nothing.

Honestly I think the over-arching story starts to pick up around dungeon 4.
Setreal
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 01:21 PM)
Setreal's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

They are only locked if you reach the treasure room, if you leave before reaching the room you can still work on it.

Thanks guys! How about the second one?

Is this the last stretch in the game for doing social links etc?
squall23
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:22 PM)
squall23's Avatar
Done after 108 hours on hard. Totally worth it. The ending portion of the game made it feel like I was saying goodbye to my PS3, which I kind of am seeing as how I spent so much of my time with it and this will probably be the final game I play on it.
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:22 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

They are only locked if you reach the treasure room, if you leave before reaching the room you can still work on your confidants.

Ah, that explains. Did it in one go :P.
Novel Mike
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:23 PM)
Novel Mike's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

How is it more interesting and more replayable to go through randomly generated corridors that all look the exact same? This is one reason that I simply don't understand. Considering how similar all of them look even if they were not RNG you would not be able to feel the difference. Persona 5 has Mementos and going through mementos is the same slog over and over again of just running into dead ends until you find the stairs...How is that more replayable in any sense ?

As for Kaneshiro's palace, the palace is actually great. The entire reason it feels like a slog is because the first time it takes quite some long. On NG+ you can do the palace in like less than 2 hours...Infact even faster because the part that feels long near the end, you actually don't even have to do them as you can simply input the code (provided you know them, so just Google them) to open the locks without having to go around the rooms to find the combination.


To be accurate I don't think that either game has great dungeons what I was saying is that I don't find going through the exact same thing without any changes fun. P4 at least has different layouts to each floor even if its all simple and looks the same. Going through the first few palaces of P5 again knowing exactly how the play out and whats coming at every given turn just isn't fun and its less fun to me then simple randomized dungeons because at least something is different even if it isn't much.

Yes you can look up all the answers for Kanashiro's palace if you don't want to solve it yourself again and that might make it better but I think it says something about the palace if you actively want to avoid doing the palace in general even on a repeat playthrough. Even then though this doesn't help the tedium of some of the later palaces which as I originally said go on way to long and the gimmick of Palace 7 is a total waste of time and one of the worst dungeons I've played in recent memory and I would gladly take a simple randomized dungeon over doing that crap ever again.

On the subject of Mementos is that one of the biggest problems of it is that you lose the very thing that made the Palaces interesting the first time through, the aspect of being a thief and sneaking around, hiding behind walls and objects to get the drop on enemies. I compare Mementos to Tartarous much more so then any of the P4 dungeons because yes the P4 dungeons are all randomized and are simple hallways but every dungeon is at least different in theme and music, Momentos like Tartarous is the same damn thing every time and only the color of the area changes, the theme is always the same (a corrupted subway system) and the music is repeated constantly.

So yeah, I can see why people think P5 dungeons are better and they are to a point but I don't think we should kids ourselves in thinking many of these dungeons are actually good. Palace 3, 5, 6, and 7 all have terrible mechanics that waste the players time in order to pad out the increasing length of each palace to make each one seem more grand then the last. The first few palaces at least intertwine story elements well into them (as does Palace 4 which is why I didn't mention it above) but the rest are just not fun to get through and while the game will tell you to take your time you really want to try to get each palace done in a day if you can because otherwise you have a hard time maximizing your various social stats and confidants, and doing these palaces in one go can not only take hours it adds on to the tedium, which is compounded by certain mechanics such as Palace 7's as I mentioned before.

Also while yes some of the other Palaces do have more story elements in them (7's for example) they either come in right at the end or the very beginning which doesn't help to break up the tedium that those palaces have.

To be more specific...
SPOILERS FOR EVERY PALACE AND ENDGAME!!


Palace 1 isn't super big but you take multiple trips to it which helps and even though a large portion of it is done later during the real time you can go into it you don't have any huge mechanics that waste your time (a simple book puzzle is all) and even then you find the room with Shiho's pictures about midway through which is a story point that helps you continue on as you really want to beat the ever living hell out of the fucked up rapist teacher.

Palace 2 is nicely split in two parts with the first part ending with Yusuke's awakening, doing the entire palace at one time would be tedious as all hell and towards the end of the whole thing the painting puzzle can be annoying as hell but thankfully thats confined into one area towards the end and doesn't dominate the entire experience.

Palace 3 is a slog, with puzzles that make you go to other locations to seek out clues to figure out multiple locks and that is after the first half of it that forces you to wonder around getting keycards, the first half isn't as bad as the second and while yes the second part you can just look up the answers if you are playing through the game for the first time you don't want to miss out on experience and items by doing that.

Palace 4 is where mechanics really start to repeat but what helps it is that you are constantly getting new information about Futaba and what happened to her with the murals as you progress giving you a sense of her character and what you went through urging the player on as you go and rewarding you for doing the puzzles with more story information.

Palace 5 just wastes your time, although the solutions for puzzles can be different depending on what area you are in the entire palace just forces you to run around quite literally in circles around each given and rather huge area to get key cards and hit switches, the latter parts of it when you actively have to beat timers are just annoying and its not always clear which is the way you need to go and which is a side area making you have to backtrack if you want to make sure you get all the items possible.

Palace 6 is just boring with a rather stupid mechanic for reaching each level. The entire time you are just going through corridors in different circumstances, a few times in the 'back areas' which aren't very interesting to look at, another time in the dark, oh and a battle gauntlet that takes all of 5 seconds, at least at the end its not so terrible I guess?

Palace 7 is the worst though. The mice mechanic is annoying and is repeated 4 freaking times each one longer then the last. It's never fun, its never interesting, its just used to pad time out and its annoying that each scenario with getting the 5 different letters of introduction plays out the same with the team trying to trick the various NPC's into giving them one with one way or another but then forcing you into a mini boss fight anyway. The battle with Akechi and the aftermath could have been a great way to break up the repeated mechanics of the dungeon but instead it comes at the very end of the dungeon so it serves as a mini-boss more then anything else.




Again, outside of a few examples I don't think these dungeons were very good at all so in the end, replaying through them feels more like a chore to me and at times I'd rather just be going through something simple and randomized instead.

It would be different if these dungeons were actually more open and you could explore but outside of small branching paths that lead to a treasure or something they are all exceptionally linear. Even the good ones suffer from this like the first Palace having a rather huge castle layout with multiple areas to explore but you are gated through the thing with locked doors so directly you never feel like you get to really explore which is rather counter intuitive to the rest of the gameplay experience which encourages you to explore the real world and try out various things.

Again, I'm not trying to say P4's randomized dungeons are better but there are things I like about them better then what we ultimately got here and I think these dungeons are being rather overrated simply because they aren't randomized this time around.
Blackquill
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:25 PM)
Blackquill's Avatar
12/24 I have an request I can't complete, do I need to reload an older save file in order to complete it ?
Thud
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:26 PM)
Thud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Setreal

Thanks guys! How about the second one?

Is this the last stretch in the game for doing social links etc?

Yeah, there isn't much free time left in the game at that point. So focus on the bonds you want to do.
Sölf
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:29 PM)
Sölf's Avatar
Aaaand done! Took nearly 115 hours. What a game. Definitly a 10/10 for me and the best Persona game to date, imo. It has a few flaws, some more annoying than others, but overall it's one of the best games I have ever played.

Thread Tools