• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Miles Quaritch
lemme stick dat Red Ring
(04-18-2017, 10:36 AM)
This is a little old, but it's an interesting shift in branded clothing.

There was a time between the 1990s and mid-2000s when dressing head-to-toe in designer clothing emblazoned with logos was a sign of wealth and success. Now, people are using scalpels to slice logos off.

Online, bloggers are posting tutorials on how to remove the thread stitched into shirts and hats without leaving an unsightly outline or picking off the logo on sunglasses without leaving behind a blurry mess. Writing stamped on in vinyl, meanwhile, is wiped away with nail polish remover, according to the Wall Street Journal.

n 2015, a report by Goldman Sachs revealed that millennials prefer clothing without labels or logos. When a person can transform themselves into a “brand” with some well-lit Instagram photos and considered Tweeting, essentially advertising someone else’s product on their chest or handbag can become less appealing.

In a similar vein, cutting off someone else's identity enables you to create and peddle your own. While allegiances to the quality of a brand’s clothing can stick, what the label symbolises - perhaps tweens or older shoppers – doesn’t always fit the image a person is trying to construct.

And in the age of austerity, logos have long been regarded as a little gauche. Instead, high quality-clothing, with the neat finishes in beautiful fabrics, speaks for itself.

In response to the move away from obvious branding, fashion houses have toned down their logos. Abercrombie & Fitch have banned the "A&F" on sweatshirts and hoodies once ubiquitous in schools and on college campuses in the US, while bag manufacturers Coach and Michael Kors have changed-up their designs as sales of logo-heaving products dipped, Business Insider reported.

Max Ilich, a 47-year-old consultant from Hampton, New Hampshire in the US, is among the fashion-conscious who are de-logoing their clothing.

“Why would I do someone else’s advertising for free?” Mr. Ilich told the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7500666.html

Has anyone noticed the shift? I've noticed that fewer people are wearing branded shirts at work, it seems the conversation goes to where you bought the shirt from rather than what brand it is.

Renaissance of tailors and dressmakers on the horizon?
itwasTuesday
(04-18-2017, 10:39 AM)
Remember Nascar jackets.
ExtremePopcorn
(04-18-2017, 10:40 AM)
If you don't want a logo on your clothes, why buy clothes with a logo on them?
paradise_circus
(04-18-2017, 10:41 AM)
I buy the basic collection for 5 to 15 €. There are no logos on them
Scarecrow
(04-18-2017, 10:42 AM)
I've def excised gaudy branding from some of my clothes. Don't want those eyesores.
Jonnax
Yeah. I don't buy clothes with logos on it.
I'd rather not be a walking advert.
jelly
I wouldn't buy clothes with big logos on them anyway. I'm all for the quality of materials, workmanship, fit and style over any logo. It is quite hard to find nice stuff that isn't slapped with a logo.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(04-18-2017, 10:43 AM)
I've found it to be gauche ever since I hit 18 years old.

Even if you're a total brand conscious fashionista, is being logoed really stylish? It's kind of like giving up your personal brand to someone else. It makes you generic.
jadedm17

Originally Posted by ExtremePopcorn

If you don't want a logo on your clothes, why buy clothes with a logo on them?

Reading comprehension level Zero.
The OP covers that.
Breakage
I don't like logos on clothes, so I don't buy clothes with logos which usually means buying cheaper stuff.
EmmanuelMunoz
(04-18-2017, 10:47 AM)

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

I've found it to be gauche ever since I hit 18 years old.

Even if you're a total brand conscious fashionista, is being logoed really stylish? It's kind of like giving up your personal brand to someone else. It makes you generic.

There are still some popular brands that are essentially just a logo. See SUPREME.
Bedlam
(04-18-2017, 10:48 AM)
I always hated big logos on clothes. For that reason never bought certain brands altogether.

What's important to me is that the clothes are well cut and fit well. That often comes with better brands (I love Nudie jeans, for example) but logos? Nope nope
Last edited by Bedlam; 04-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Shadow Ranger
(04-18-2017, 10:48 AM)
Casual t shirts with cool logos that aren't in your face I don't mind. Air Jordan wings, the small Ralph Lauren, I don't mind those. Gotta be subtle in my opinion. Adidas can be offensive with their stuff but they have a new range from a Japanese designer that was simple and clean compared to their usual logo slapping.

But I also like plain stuff from uniqlo all the same. Cheap, comfortable and decent quality.
AllenShrz
(04-18-2017, 10:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Jonnax

Yeah. I don't buy clothes with logos on it.
I'd rather not be a walking advert.

This.

I actively avoid buying something showing a brand.

One of the many reasons I will never buy something like, for example, Nike, their logo brand is always HUGE and takcless.
Creepy
(04-18-2017, 10:49 AM)
Just buy less expensive but exactly the fucking same clothes with no logo... jesus.
AllenShrz
(04-18-2017, 10:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Creepy

Just buy less expensive but exactly the fucking same clothes with no logo... jesus.

Actually, many "expensive" brands don't show their logos, like hugo boss.
CDX
(04-18-2017, 10:51 AM)
I've always preferred logo free clothing, even when I was younger in the 90s. I guess my parents preferred it that way too, for both themselves and me.

It wasn't that hard, and still isn't that hard to just not buy most things that have a logo on them. I've completely avoided tons of brands over the years because I found their logos annoying.
Spuck-uk
(04-18-2017, 10:52 AM)
counterpoint, Supreme stuff still sells out always.

Article is bollocks.
KonradLaw
(04-18-2017, 10:52 AM)

For men clothes you often pay for quality to a certain price range.
ExtremePopcorn
(04-18-2017, 10:54 AM)

Originally Posted by jadedm17

Reading comprehension level Zero.
The OP covers that.

I read the whole thing, you can easily buy high quality clothing with little or no branding.

Buying clothing with a logo on it to remove it seems a very obtuse way of doing things.
SomTervo
(04-18-2017, 10:55 AM)
A SuperDry jacket was the perfectly priced product for me to deal with these grim and long Scottish winters, so I got one, and yes it's perfect and not too pricey.

But on the sleeve, like just at my right wrist, was a massive rubber rectangle with "SuperDry" written on it. It threw off the whole symmetry of the jacket, drew loads of attention, and looked generally tacky and shit, so I yanked it off. Never looked back.

Aside from that, no, never.

Somebody is paying for the shortfall in price. Probably a 5-10 year old in Bangladesh.
immortal-joe
(04-18-2017, 10:55 AM)

Originally Posted by KonradLaw

For men clothes you often pay for quality to a certain price range.

Absolutely.

My opinion on the appearance of a logo on my clothing is the same as the one applied to clothing design in general. If I find it subtle, sleek, and engaging, then I'm good.
Piichan
(04-18-2017, 10:57 AM)
I buy clothes without logos because they're cheaper.
OnionPowder
(04-18-2017, 10:58 AM)
NoblesseOblige
(04-18-2017, 10:59 AM)
I was never really a fan of wearing branded clothes. Felt like they should be paying me to advertise.

Shoes are the worst offenders.
magnetic
(04-18-2017, 11:01 AM)
Sometimes when I'm hate-browsing reddit I stumble across steetwear posts.

Apparently a white shirt that says SUPREME is the most desirable thing in the universe. Even a bumper sticker that says SUPREME gets these people all hot and bothered.
Nanashrew
(04-18-2017, 11:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Miles Quaritch

Ralph Lauren was already beaten to the punch. I can already become a horse if I want.
SolidusDave
(04-18-2017, 11:08 AM)
Since teenager age I've been actively avoiding any clothes that have any brand logo prominently placed in easy to see positions. Just a small symbol on a shoe is usually ok though. No one looks at my feet.

I still usually buy from established brands and not no-name because I know the sizes, certain level of quality and they usually have better designs.
But man it sucks so much seeing something you really like and then they shat their logo (or some stupid word/life motto which I also avoid) over it in giant letters.

Reasons:
- when I was young certain brands were in or out. Even now though I prefer avoiding any baggage certain brands have. "This kind of person often wears this brand etc"
- it looks stupid. I also like plain/patterned shirts more without a motive wich most of the time I think is lame anyway. I also don't want people to constantly trying to see/read what's on my shirt.
- As mentioned in the OP, I already paid for the clothes. I'm not a sports player who has to whore themselves out for advertising (and I wouldn't even get paid! )
Last edited by SolidusDave; 04-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.
shink
(04-18-2017, 11:09 AM)
A lot of the fast fashion brands hardly have any logos on them like H&M, Zara and Uniqlo. I have a lot of Uniqlo clothing because it's decent quality, minimal branding and affordable.
8bit
Knows the Score
(04-18-2017, 11:10 AM)
Cayce did this in William Gibson's Pattern Recognition, she was allergic to brands IIRC.
Nanashrew
(04-18-2017, 11:11 AM)

Originally Posted by magnetic

Sometimes when I'm hate-browsing reddit I stumble across steetwear posts.

Apparently a white shirt that says SUPREME is the most desirable thing in the universe. Even a bumper sticker that says SUPREME gets these people all hot and bothered.

SUPREME the new OBEY?
fabricated backlash
(04-18-2017, 11:19 AM)
Branded Shirts are the tackiest thing ever. Like fuck they should pay me for being a living advertisement billboard for them. Let alone most being utterly ugly in terms of design.
Or just plain stupid (monkeythrowingpoopatboard.jpg)

When I was shopping for my Wedding Suit, it took me almost 5 days to find a good looking belt that didn't feature the companys logo on front with neon letters.
Fuck that.
nephilimdj
(04-18-2017, 11:22 AM)
Small logo is the peasant version

You need something like this while hanging out with rich people near horseys to wear a polo right

KodeAndGame
(04-18-2017, 11:23 AM)
I feel as though large logos have been out of fashion for a long time. The Ralph Lauren polos in the OP were actually the exception and those were rightly ridiculed and didn't last long.

That said, 90s fashion is back in and with that the return of prominent branding. Perhaps people removing logos are a reaction to the resurging 90s fashion.
Skyzard
(04-18-2017, 11:23 AM)
Never been a fan of logos, glad to hear companies are minimizing them.
Stereogatari
Banned
(04-18-2017, 11:37 AM)
I was recently thinking about this concept in relation to branding on drinks and snacks. Advertising is hitting us in the face all the time.
NewGame
(04-18-2017, 11:44 AM)
I make sure nothing I wear advertises brands. Even the slightest logo feels like a full Eddie.

Anyone who dresses this way; you're a bought and sold pleb.
aznpxdd
(04-18-2017, 11:45 AM)
Reading this thread, I'm thinking most people on GAF dress like shit if they avoid most branded goods with logo.

Outside of the logo, branded clothes are more expensive for a reason also...
Nerfgun
(04-18-2017, 11:45 AM)
yeah. been doing this forever so i'm glad it's more popular now.

i can take little tiny / iconic logos but big words really irritates me. finding some clothing you like and then seeing it ruined by a huge logo is a bummer.

Louis Vuitton bags are totally hideous to me
kinoki
Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
(04-18-2017, 11:49 AM)
I avoid labels like the plague. I'm glad companies are catching on.
Thelonelykoopa
(04-18-2017, 11:50 AM)
I avoid logos as much as possible so I can definitely see how this would be a thing.
oxidax
(04-18-2017, 11:50 AM)
I always wonder why they made the horse bigger.
Vollume
(04-18-2017, 11:54 AM)
Threre's always a trade off, higher branded clothes have nicer and cleaner designs but big logos, cheaper brands have smaller or non visible logos but tacky designs and colors.
Nerfgun
(04-18-2017, 11:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Vollume

Threre's always a trade off, higher branded clothes have nicer and cleaner designs but big logos, cheaper brands have smaller or non visible logos but tacky designs and colors.

but this just isn't true. there are lots of high end brands that aren't blaring logos. and TONS of trash clothes with huge words and multiple logos.
Myriadis
(04-18-2017, 12:02 PM)
I also prefer logo-less clothes, but I have no problem with that if it's subtle enough.
Skinpop
(04-18-2017, 12:13 PM)
depends on the brand and the logo.
I like this one

The Exploder
(04-18-2017, 12:14 PM)
I ain't going to pay to advertise someone's clothing line.
Kthulhu
(04-18-2017, 12:15 PM)
Am millennial, can confirm.

I agree, big logos suck on most clothes.
zelas
(04-18-2017, 12:18 PM)
Always hated clothes with logos. I'm not concerned about being an advertisement, I think they just ruin the look of clothes. My eye has been drawn to plenty of pieces that are immediately put back once I see the logo.
balladofwindfishes
(04-18-2017, 12:19 PM)
I only wear clothes without logos. I find logos on clothes to be tacky