• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Rktk
(04-18-2017, 03:20 PM)
Fortunately I don't need to buy clothes with logos and remove them. Big logos have been tacky this whole time I feel.

Originally Posted by The Broken Ska Record

Yeah. I kinda feel like Armani Exchange fell into that. I see quite a few people wearing AX clothing with their hideous and large logos on it.

AX is a great example, it bears the name but it's not Georgio Armani, it's low grade stuff.
EVOL 100%
(04-18-2017, 03:22 PM)
I fucking hate it when I see a nice jacket and then there's a gigantic ugly logo printed on the back.

I'm fine with nice logos, but most just look bad.
Spuck-uk
(04-18-2017, 03:23 PM)

Originally Posted by KonradLaw

For men clothes you often pay for quality to a certain price range.

This, there's abig jump in material quality between say, £20 and £50 jeans.
Spuck-uk
(04-18-2017, 03:24 PM)

Originally Posted by magnetic

Sometimes when I'm hate-browsing reddit I stumble across steetwear posts.

Apparently a white shirt that says SUPREME is the most desirable thing in the universe. Even a bumper sticker that says SUPREME gets these people all hot and bothered.

Supreme have been around for close to 15 years. Their stuff is good quality, but 100% marketed around rarity. Even their logo free designs are profoundly meh imo.
Spuck-uk
(04-18-2017, 03:26 PM)

Originally Posted by nephilimdj

Small logo is the peasant version

You need something like this while hanging out with rich people near horseys to wear a polo right

It's actually the opposite. The low end of say, Armani , plasters its logo all over, the high end is very discreet.
Oxn
(04-18-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Rktk

Fortunately I don't need to buy clothes with logos and remove them. Big logos have been tacky this whole time I feel.

AX is a great example, it bears the name but it's not Georgio Armani, it's low grade stuff.

AX may not be georgio armani ofcourse, but they are not low grade stuff from my experience.
Peltz
(04-18-2017, 03:30 PM)
I don't care if my clothes have logos or not. If I like the way it looks, I wear it.

Sometimes that's clothes with a logo, and usually it isn't. But I don't consider a logo to be a negative statement or anything. I won't take the time to remove a logo from an article of clothing. But I could see how it's a cool trend.
Spuck-uk
(04-18-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Oxn

AX may not be georgio armani ofcourse, but they are not low grade stuff from my experience.

They're low quality clothes selling off the name.
Eidan
(04-18-2017, 03:32 PM)
I avoided Ray Ban sunglasses for the longest time because I hated the logo in the corner.
Selddon
(04-18-2017, 03:33 PM)
I don't know why you would pay up the wazoo to buy branded clothing just to take the brand off

However, if the shirt has a logo patch on its sleeve fuck that, I'm gonna try to get that off
Last edited by Selddon; 04-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Oxn
(04-18-2017, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Spuck-uk

They're low quality clothes selling off the name.

Well ofcourse again if u compare to georgio armani

But if you are comapring the actual quality of the clothing to say something like zara or h&m or old navy or gap etc,, thats just wrong.
Menchi
I used to see this years ago as a lot of clubs/bars wouldn't let people with clothes with big logo or branding in on, so people would take them off instead.

Also, I know it technically is correct, but using a 47 year old as an example of a "millennial trend" is a little jarring
navii
My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
When I saw this thread I thought of that huge ugly RL logo.

I remember seeing it for the first time that on my boss's shirt and I was thinking, is that a chinese knock off?

I used to love logos on my clothing, then I realised fashion is a waste of money and now I try to buy stuff from UQ, but I still like the odd G-Star or Superdry item of clothing.

I kinda think that if you go to super effort to remove logos from your clothes you are almost as bad as the people who want logos on their clothes. Though if you have an one or two cool items of clothing you think are ruined by their logos then its fine. Each to their own though.
Erasus
Logos can look cool imo but I dont realy go out of my way to get them on clothes.

No I havent noticed a "switch" and Im a millenial.
Faiz
(04-18-2017, 03:37 PM)
Funny I have distinct memories of my dad painstakingly removing the IZOD alligator from a shirt he was given by my grandmother at Christmas.
Shy Fingers
(04-18-2017, 03:38 PM)
I've always preferred no logos on my clothing since early teenage years. Luckily with so many options these days you can find good stuff without any on them.
Oxn
(04-18-2017, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Faiz

Funny I have distinct memories of my dad painstakingly removing the IZOD alligator from a shirt he was given by my grandmother at Christmas.

Well thats because wearing izod is emabarassing
davepoobond
you can't put a price on sparks
(04-18-2017, 03:40 PM)
ive always been anti-logo as well. only recently i started wearing some stuff like cartoons i like.

i usually go for something artistic
frontovik
(04-18-2017, 03:40 PM)
I detest clothing with logos in general, and try to avoid them. Simplicity is best.
Icebergslim
Banned
(04-18-2017, 03:42 PM)
Aint nobody got time for that.
NEO0MJ
(04-18-2017, 03:59 PM)

Originally Posted by EloKa

there are other brands with better quality that hide their logos. Even some skater or general sport brands cost more in average than the cheaper Gucci stuff. Buying blank "clothing brand" apparel with big logos is just stupid bragging / begging for attention

That's kinda what I just​ said :p
Were I live​ a shirt from a brand like Gucci or Versace can cost a third of what the average person makes a month if not more so if you can afford it that shows people that you come from​ a big family or made it big.
IggyChooChoo
(04-18-2017, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Eidan

I avoided Ray Ban sunglasses for the longest time because I hated the logo in the corner.

The metal in pennies is softer than glass; I scraped the logo off of mine with no scratches. Lots of people do it.

http://lifehacker.com/remove-logos-f...enny-893875250
Vigilant Walrus
(04-18-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Darryl M R

I've been following mid to high-end male fashion for awhile and you can clearly see how this is the natural outcome. Brands that market themselves as high-quality and direct-to-consumer do not include logos on their items.

You can look through old YouTube videos back when people cared about logos "Polo everything. Polo down." But now it is pretty lame to have your identity wrapped up in a brand/logo.

I don't expect most people on forums not dedicated to fashion to care or notice these trends.

Yup AX was obnoxious with their logo but now I see more shirts that either lack a design or have a small AX on it.

The worst was Ed Hardy back in 2000-2009

It's a byproduct of this generation worshipping itself. 30-40 years ago, you dressed a certain way to be a certain somebody. You listened to a type of music and you dressed a certain way. In the digital era, with social media, self worship is realizing yourself, and not being a walking nascar billboard.
The previous generation, would look at millennials and say they are narcissistic and self obsessed, and the millennials would look at the previous generations and say they are hacks who try to identify themselves through their attire.

But at the end of the day, regardless of if you want to make a statement, or not make a statement (like by buying a 3000 dollars Kanye West White plain T-Shirt), you are expressing and signalling something. No design, is a design style all of its own, and it ends up saying as much as embracing any other style.
It is within human nature to generalize and analyze other people based on the visual input. If you wear a t-shirt that says ATARI I am going to get a different impression of you than if you wore one saying PETA. There is just no way, that the cognitive load and the emotional load that comes with it doesn't distort our sense of reality.

I really like high quality clothing. I was a major fan of the 10-year hoodie kickstarter. That shit was genius. A bit on the cringy side, but I love the idea. Design clothes to last with no frills, but just a fit snug hoodie.
If I go to my walmart type store and buy plain no brand clothes, it is always with a one-size-all fit. Like it was designed for 40 different body types, but doesnt look good on anyone. Jeans and shirts are cut like they were made for lego men. It's often mass produced and sometimes co-branded attire.
You can find minimal designer clothing, where the logo or emblem is kept to a minimum, but those are insanely expensive. I feel that you're paying for the design, but not a good quality product.
I usually end up in H&M and Jack and Jones, because they are affordable. Jack and Jones have really nice jeans that actually look cool, but in the case of H&M the quality of the clothing is bad. It has the lifespan of a mayfly and doesn't last more than a few years (with a few exceptions).

I personally like Superdry, but I recognize my own emotional bias. I bought Superdry clothing when it just came out and nobody had really heard of it. I felt it looked really cool and I wore the Joggins (their tracksuit pants) all the damn time. Then Superdry really blew up, and I felt good about it- I felt that I had come across a brand and that I recognized something was cool before others jumped on it. That is a weird thing to feel, and it doesn't really have any logic behind it. I really shouldn't have an affection towards Superdry just because I discovered something before others. It doesn't make sense, yet undeniable it is a feeling I have, and that is the power of brands. We put ourselves into them.

There are other reasons why I prefer minimal / no branding. If you take things like electronics- If you're a PC gamer and you try to set up your computer, your keyboard, mouse and parts and everything- It can all look so disjointed and like it all doesn't fit together because the parts are so different. I hated hated hated the old Logitech Logo. I bought another brands mouse just because I couldn't take it.

And that's the advantage with something like Apple. They remove everything, and they make their products in colors (like Ikea) that easily blends into any setting or scenario). Try doing that with your 8 pound glowing LED gaming rig monster with a MONSTER type logo on it. That thing looks out of place.

And this is a big problem with gaming in particularly. Many PC gamers are outgrowing the flashy futuristic LED craze. How are you going to make classy gaming electronics that are marked at a man in his 60s? Gaming is a young entertainment type, but it's been on the block for enough time for some gamers to have gotten up in age, and the marketing and branding of many products doesn't reflect that.
You see youtube videos old ladies playing Skyrim and GTA with millions of views- It seems out of place, because we have a marketing and branding disconnect with older people playing video games. But look at the branding. The branding is for teenage boys who like glow lights as they slurp their mountain dew. Nothing wrong with that, but the marketing and branding of these products limit the appeal.

I personally cannot stand the branding of MSI, Razer and many of the others. I love MSI products, but they look terrible. And many of the other electronic giants like Acers Predator and Asus Republic of Gamers have horrific logos. They are truly bad taste.

A clean Asus, Sony, Samsung or Apple logo gets you much much further I think. And sure, you can argue that Google embracing the flat design ethos is them losing personality, but you cannot argue that they are not doing amazing thing with their logotype. They inspire me every day with their material design. Its fantastic!

At the end of the day, what I worry most about with brands is that people can use them as a means to look at themselves as superior, and/or look down on others. When I worked at a school I saw how bunch of first graders and kindergarden kids were affected by the brands provided to them. This goes down to the color stereotypes (pink for girls, blue for boys), how popular you were (who had a nintendo, who had an ipad with them to school) and the quality of their carring (a 7 year old dressed up in high fashion clothing).

I don't like it. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to give your kids what is good in life, but it has unintended consequences down the line, and I refuse to believe, that kids need to establish hierarchies based on the clothing their parents can afford. My 15 year old cousin is super into fashion (like Supreme) - He cares about what he wears, and always has. Even when he went to pre-school. Thats a massive contrast to myself, who wore what my mom told me to wear until I was 9 or 10. I just didn't care beyond thinking that Jeans with cut out knees looked cool. And I had that awful school-shooter bowl cut that all boys had in the early 90s.
RS4-
(04-18-2017, 04:05 PM)

Apparently a white shirt that says SUPREME is the most desirable thing in the universe. Even a bumper sticker that says SUPREME gets these people all hot and bothered.

$200 (for a $50 sweater)
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(04-18-2017, 04:05 PM)
I really can't stand how logos are ubiquitous on eyeglasses and sunglasses these days. Like, nobody cares what brand the things I need to see are, unless your name is Patrick Bateman. I'm only shopping at Warby Parker (who don't include exterior logos) until this practice stops.
MaxDOL
(04-18-2017, 04:07 PM)
Meh
I like my soccer jerseys.

jrh2
(04-18-2017, 04:09 PM)
I've always hated logos on clothes, I don't really give a shit if anyone knows the brand of what I'm wearing. My goal in life is to stand out from a crowd as little as possible. I am a non-combatant in the fashion war.
Rekwest
(04-18-2017, 04:16 PM)
I can't find a T shirt of my fav soccer team with out a logo.
Dr. Zoidberg
(04-18-2017, 04:22 PM)

“Why would I do someone else’s advertising for free?”

I hope these people are covering or scratching off the Apple Logo from their phones and computers too or I would be very disappointed in them.
RandomHopeInc
(04-18-2017, 04:23 PM)
I like the small eagle on Hollister t shirts, I would never buy one without the logo, because I think of the logo as a cool accent, especially because the color is different depending on the shirt..
SgtCobra
(04-18-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by RS4-

$200 (for a $50 sweater)

Change that to 500 lol
DavidDesu
(04-18-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Vollume

They seem cut for slim and tall people who like tight clothing, can't imagine other type being able to wear them.
Even if you're a model they look like they're wearing kid's clothes to me.

I'm short and tubby... KNEW IT! I had a Superdry shirt that fit me once, last time I tried something on (I'm a Large but should be Medium.. I tried on something XXL... XXL) and it was tight on. Fuck that noise.
ShemhazaiX
(04-18-2017, 04:29 PM)
This is a fad I can get behind. Hate logos. Refuse to wear Nike trainers because of that godawful tick on everything. At least I can pretend Adidas stripes are just a pattern.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(04-18-2017, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

I hope these people are covering or scratching off the Apple Logo from their phones and computers too or I would be very disappointed in them.

Lots of people cover Apple logos on laptops with stickers or cutouts. Cases easily cover logos on iPhones and iPads.
Poor GRIMES
Banned
(04-18-2017, 04:45 PM)
Whenever people on here say they don't care about fashion, I am instantly reminded of Meryl Streep's trickle down speech in The Devil Wears Prada
AtomicShroom
(04-18-2017, 05:10 PM)
I've always had a deeply-rooted hatred of logos and branding on clothes for as far back as I can remember. Hell even when I was just a kid playing in a local baseball league, when I found out that during an upcoming tournament our jerseys would have a patch with a sponsor on the back (something like a pizzeria or some such if I recall correctly), I didn't want to be any part of it, which meant quitting the team altogether, and thus ended my foray into junior baseball forever.

I don't want someone else's branding to be on myself. I feel like it makes me a slave to them, and I despise that. I never want to be placed into a position where I have to whore myself out to corporate interest. When they started bikeshare around town for the first years, the bikes didn't have any advertising on them and I used it alot. And then, citing budget problems, they started plastering advertising on the bikes. So fuck that, I went and bought my own minimalistic bike and never used bikeshare again. I ain't going to be anybody's billboard.

The only things I'll wear that have any sort of branding are things I deeply care for or have an affectionate passion for, such as bands that I like, microbreweries that I like, or some skate/snowboarding brands that make awesome stylish gear. Everything else can fuck right off.
Host Samurai
(04-18-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by AllenShrz

Actually, many "expensive" brands don't show their logos, like hugo boss.

Depends on the brand. Italian brands love being loud. I've never seen a D&G t shirt that was quiet.
ty_hot
(04-18-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by AllenShrz

Gigantic lies detected. Nike and quality should never, ever, be on the same paragraph.

I forgot to say that I paid 5-7 euros on them. Comparing with other brands, yes, its a much better material. But yeah, not the best as I wrote.

Originally Posted by MaxDOL

Meh

I just ordered this last week. Cant wait to have it. Also got a Chelsea (blue) and one from Spain (red).
joe2187
owns a house that doesn't even have piss-covered floors.
(04-18-2017, 06:14 PM)
I rock these every day

Faiz
(04-18-2017, 06:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Oxn

Well thats because wearing izod is emabarassing

In 2017 sure. In 1985 not as much.
Kitsunebaby
(04-18-2017, 06:17 PM)
I've been doing this since I was a kid, though I mostly just avoided buying clothes with logos in the first place. It always looked super tacky to me.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(04-18-2017, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Faiz

In 2017 sure. In 1985 not as much.

It just looks like standard WASPy preppy fashion. Unless you're really sensitive about wearing a little alligator?
Korey
(04-18-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by MaxDOL

Meh

Wearing sports jerseys as an adult when not at a game is cringey af
itchyass86
(04-18-2017, 06:24 PM)
Anybody like dressing up like Andrew WK?

White shirt and a pair of jeans. Not much to think about. Just can't walk into a galley with thar gitup though. You'll be turned away.
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Spuck-uk

counterpoint, Supreme stuff still sells out always.

Article is bollocks.

Originally Posted by Nanashrew

SUPREME the new OBEY?

That's Streetwear Fashion, which is a specific sub-section of fashion that this article isn't referring to. Streetwear is about branding and graphics more so than anything else.

Originally Posted by Vollume

How one would go about removing this logo?

Why would they ruin such a clean cut and with a nice color by stamping such an obnoxious logo on the back? The front with the orange letters is already bad enough.

It's a Surf brand and all boardsport brands tend to skew closer to streetwear than anything else.

Originally Posted by Gallbaro

Was brilliantly stumbled into by the brand.

I think it is suppose to be a statement of wealth among poor people? Kind of like Jordans?

Logos started on clothes as statements of wealth.

The stickers were about quality. An easy way to identify fitted vs. the flexfit style that was popular before. People kept the stickers on to signify the quality moreso than wealth.
FallingEdge
(04-18-2017, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Korey

Wearing sports jerseys as an adult when not at a game is cringey af

Depends on the jersey. I think soccer kits are fine. Especially country based jerseys.
EatinOlives
Harass A Bull?
Report to HR.
(04-18-2017, 06:59 PM)
I never did understand why Polo started having logos you could land a plane on. So tacky.
Alucrid
(04-18-2017, 07:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

That's Streetwear Fashion, which is a specific sub-section of fashion that this article isn't referring to. Streetwear is about branding and graphics more so than anything else.

It's a Surf brand and all boardsport brands tend to skew closer to streetwear than anything else.

The stickers were about quality. An easy way to identify fitted vs. the flexfit style that was popular before. People kept the stickers on to signify the quality moreso than wealth.

the quality of a $30 baseball cap?
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Alucrid

the quality of a $30 baseball cap?

In comparison to the previously popular Flex-fit (essentially one size fits all) caps. And also to signify it was a genuine 59fifty hat and not a Swap Meet knockoff.
Alucrid
(04-18-2017, 07:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

In comparison to the previously popular Flex-fit (essentially one size fits all) caps. And also to signify it was a genuine 59fifty hat and not a Swap Meet knockoff.

ok...but of a $30 baseball cap? if you kept the tag on a pair of shitty yeezeys, then ok, i guess paying hundreds of dollars makes a bit more sense to want to show that they're legit. but why would anyone care about something as ubiquitous as 59 fifty baseball caps