ReAxion
(04-18-2017, 07:08 PM)
millennials are doing the thing! *quotes 47 year old*
RSTEIN
Comics, serious business!
(04-18-2017, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by ReAxion

millennials are doing the thing! *quotes 47 year old*

There can be stupid articles about millennials but this one is very interesting. Numerous brands have gone toast (e.g., Aeropostale) and many others (Abercrombie, Gap, Ralph Lauren) are all severely hurting. Mall traffic has declined substantially, too. All this stuff has big ramifications for real estate values, employment, etc. On the other hand, stores like TJ, Zara, etc., are doing incredibly well.
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Alucrid

ok...but of a $30 baseball cap? if you kept the tag on a pair of shitty yeezeys, then ok, i guess paying hundreds of dollars makes a bit more sense to want to show that they're legit. but why would anyone care about something as ubiquitous as 59 fifty baseball caps

Because people care about authenticity. Such as officially licensed product vs. unlicensed. Or a written autograph rather than a printed image of one. It's supposed to be representative of the quality of the product.

Take, for example, the NES Classic. It's only $50 retail. But if you had the option of buying the NES Classic or an offbrand Chinese manufactured product that does the same thing, which would you choose?

Now of course there will be some who don't care about the difference as long as the functionality is essentially the same. And that's fine. But generally, people want the real thing as usually it will indicate better quality.
wisdom0wl
(04-18-2017, 07:18 PM)
Can confirm, on that minimalism wave
Downhome
(04-18-2017, 07:18 PM)
My wife and I have an eBay business (in addition to our full time jobs) and this OP seems crazy to me. The biggest and best sellers are the items with logos, the bigger the logo the better as well. Shirts with all over graphics or HUGE logos sell for quite a bit and when we find one it's like finding a fistful of cash. I'm not sure who is removing the logos but there are tons of people out there that wants those big, bold logos.

Hats, shirts, jeans, even just random items like mugs and stuff.
ReAxion
(04-18-2017, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by RSTEIN

There can be stupid articles about millennials but this one is very interesting. Numerous brands have gone toast (e.g., Aeropostale) and many others (Abercrombie, Gap, Ralph Lauren) are all severely hurting. Mall traffic has declined substantially, too. All this stuff has big ramifications for real estate values, employment, etc. On the other hand, stores like TJ, Zara, etc., are doing incredibly well.

i'm just knocking the journalist for not finding a millennial to quote, or framing it as a millennial thing instead of a top-to-bottom cultural thing.

as for 59fifty hats, i know a couple collectors who remove the New Era logos they added to onfield MLB caps this season. when youre used to there not being a logo and suddenly there is one, especially on something that's the subject of your favorite hobby, you give a shit.
Alucrid
(04-18-2017, 07:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

Because people care about authenticity. Such as officially licensed product vs. unlicensed. Or a written autograph rather than a printed image of one. It's supposed to be representative of the quality of the product.

Take, for example, the NES Classic. It's only $50 retail. But if you had the option of buying the NES Classic or an offbrand Chinese manufactured product that does the same thing, which would you choose?

Now of course there will be some who don't care about the difference as long as the functionality is essentially the same. And that's fine. But generally, people want the real thing as usually it will indicate better quality.

right, but if you only care about the quality, not the supposed status that "the real thing" grants, why would you keep the sticker on? to show other people that what you're wearing is quality? in which case how does that separate itself from a status symbol to just wanting to show its quality?
Alcotholic
(04-18-2017, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Vollume

They seem cut for slim and tall people who like tight clothing, can't imagine other type being able to wear them.
Even if you're a model they look like they're wearing kid's clothes to me.

I can't stop looking at how his lips are parted like Angelina Jolie's or other dumb models. But yeah, that shirt looks like it's made for a kid. If the sleeves were a tad longer it might look better.
Loch Doun
(04-18-2017, 07:27 PM)
Kid, if you weren't rocking JNCO jeans with a FUBU t-shirt in middle school circa 1999, you weren't shit.
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Alucrid

right, but if you only care about the quality, not the supposed status that "the real thing" grants, why would you keep the sticker on? to show other people that what you're wearing is quality? in which case how does that separate itself from a status symbol to just wanting to show its quality?

It's a sign that you care about the quality and not just the status of owning the symbol itself.

A flexfit baseball team logo hat and a fitted 59fifty essentially look the same in design. But the materials and construction in the 59fifty fitted hat is superior. A subtle signifier that you're discerning, not just rich. You could technically argue that that is an element of status but it's not the type of status that's usually being referred to in these types of discussions. It's more closely aligned to subjective status signifiers (taste) rather than wealth or class level. So.. more akin to music lovers who prefer vinyl to FLAC or being into a specific subsection of art paintings rather than the unanimously lauded classic paintings.
Hypemaster
(04-18-2017, 07:39 PM)
The big ralph lauren logo always looked hideous
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(04-18-2017, 07:47 PM)
I don't get this rationale. Wearing something with a logo doesn't endear you to said brand or means you represent said brand anymore than wearing something with art based on a movie or game means you're a walking poster

How is wearing something with a minimalist Captain American shield symbol different from a shirt with a Nike symbol? What you think looks cool, as a clothing design, comes first IMO.
Last edited by More_Badass; 04-18-2017 at 07:56 PM.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(04-18-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

How is wearing something with a minimalist Captain American shield symbol different from a shirt with a Nike symbol? What you think looks cool, as a clothing design, comes first IMO.

No difference at all. Both are logos representing megabrands.
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 08:08 PM)

I don't get this rationale. Wearing something with a logo doesn't endear you to said brand or means you represent said brand anymore than wearing something with art based on a movie or game means you're a walking poster

I mean, those things don't define you, if you don't want them to, but they literally are advertisements for whatever the logo stands for.
terencecah
(04-18-2017, 08:24 PM)
I wear fast fashion like h&m with no logos, and streetwear from places like pacsun, tillys, that have plenty of logos

It's all about having good fashion sense
Icyflamez96
(04-18-2017, 08:27 PM)
I just buy what I think looks good. Why would I buy a shirt if I thought the logo made it look bad?
frankie_baby
(04-18-2017, 08:43 PM)
I like brands that do something cool with their logo like diesel, but just a plain simple logo is boring and pointless
ZackieChan
(04-18-2017, 08:44 PM)
Bought a bunch of J. Crew clothes recently, all logo-less. Feels good. Used to rock American Eagle last decade, but they always have that damn bird on them. Just feels tacky now.
GloveSlap
(04-18-2017, 08:47 PM)
Bought a seam ripper for this purpose over a decade ago. The funniest were the shirts with big GAP or Aeropastale logos. Like are you that proud to show off some low end mall store?
mullet2000
(04-18-2017, 08:49 PM)

One is relating to a piece of fiction the person likes or relates to. The other is literally just the brand.

They achieve the same "free advertising" end for a company, for sure, but say, a Captain America shield on a shirt can say "hey I like marvel" and be (however small) some kind of personal statement, interest in comics, etc., whereas a Nike logo means basically nothing along those lines. It's just the brand name and theres no connection to be made to the wearer's personal interests.
andythinkpad
(04-18-2017, 09:05 PM)
I do that.

Half of my clothes are Uniqlo which doesn't have exterior branding anyway.

For the Nike/Asics/Whatever active wares, I try to only buy the ones that have black or subtle colored logos. Usually garments that have subtle brands are the upper end more expensive lines.

I also buy clothing with embroidered logos which I can remote myself. I only have one example online now, see the brand and the white color "d" I removed from the daypack.

Last edited by andythinkpad; 04-18-2017 at 09:09 PM.
MadSexual
(04-18-2017, 09:11 PM)
I hated choosing clothes as a teenager when prominent labels were in. It's always felt tacky to me, and I had to choose between being out of fashion lame or being awkward in the outfit lame. I don't give much a fuck anymore, but if I'm unintentionally one step back in social graces, I'll take it.
DOWN
(04-18-2017, 09:15 PM)
That's because branded shit looks horrible. Ya ever see James Bond wearing logos? Nah. The quality tasteful brands don't do that.

It's the same as wearing a price tag. You do it to show off that you bought into something.

Plus, cheap brands like H&M, Uniqlo, and Zara are getting bigger and they are so cheap that nobody wants to show off their logo. There's no prestige in those logos.

If you insist on a Lacoste polo or gaudy True Religion vs a quality brand without a logo on it, it's because you were trying to show it off.
Staccat0
Fail out bailed
(04-18-2017, 09:17 PM)

I would avoid both. I just think wearing ads looks dopey. I have sine I was a kid in the 90s and Nike was a big thing. It's not so much that I am afraid of representing it but more that I think it looks dorky. I prefer a cleaner look. This is my golden age.

Same reason I don't wear suspenders with a tee shirt. Personal taste.
MoonsaultSlayer
(04-18-2017, 09:17 PM)
It's funny, I thought about this the last time I was at the mall and saw a few "North Face" logos on the back shoulder of jackets/pullovers. I thought it was tacky and tried imagining fashion in the past having an equivalent.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(04-18-2017, 09:18 PM)
I remember seeing this a lot with the hipsters at my college. I just assumed that it was because they got the shirt at a thrift store and didn't want to look like a brand whore.
andythinkpad
(04-18-2017, 09:22 PM)

Originally Posted by MoonsaultSlayer

It's funny, I thought about this the last time I was at the mall and saw a few "North Face" logos on the back shoulder of jackets/pullovers. I thought it was tacky and tried imagining fashion in the past having an equivalent.

Well The North Face is a tacky brand. Patagonia put the logo in the lower corner of the shirt/jacket. And you can remove the clothed label easily.
Paracelsus
(04-18-2017, 09:23 PM)
I don't buy branded clothing because of the quality, but also because of the brand. If I buy nike shoes I do want you to see the swoosh on the sides, if there's no swoosh to me might as well be not nike, there's tons of cheaper and as valid options. Same for lacoste (no croc, no party) and adidas, which without the lotus flower or the stripes it is dumb as shit. It doesn't have to be big but it has to be there, or there's no reason to go branded at all. Took me a while to realize the yeezy were actually branded shoes.

The only product where you go branded because of the sheer quality is jeans, and that's about it.
Phocks
(04-18-2017, 09:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Downhome

My wife and I have an eBay business (in addition to our full time jobs) and this OP seems crazy to me. The biggest and best sellers are the items with logos, the bigger the logo the better as well. Shirts with all over graphics or HUGE logos sell for quite a bit and when we find one it's like finding a fistful of cash. I'm not sure who is removing the logos but there are tons of people out there that wants those big, bold logos.

Hats, shirts, jeans, even just random items like mugs and stuff.

Makes me think of shit like Supreme.
PantherLotus
Professional Schmuck
(04-18-2017, 09:26 PM)
I love that the primary reasoning here is because of "personal branding," which is the most millenial thing of all time. And no less gross, lol.
wildfire
(04-18-2017, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidusDave

Since teenager age I've been actively avoiding any clothes that have any brand logo prominently placed in easy to see positions. Just a small symbol on a shoe is usually ok though. No one looks at my feet.

Women will look at your feet.
Danis Saur
(04-18-2017, 09:33 PM)
Logos are a big reason why I don't buy certain clothes.

I see a nice polo made with great material, and a big ugly ass crocodile logo on the breast area.

Fuck off.
wildfire
(04-18-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by PantherLotus

I love that the primary reasoning here is because of "personal branding," which is the most millenial thing of all time. And no less gross, lol.

No less? You gotta explain yourself there buddy.
Kanik
Sonic handles my blue balls
(04-18-2017, 09:37 PM)
I've always hated logos on my clothing.

But I do keep the warning stickers on my Xbox and Laptop.
New002
(04-18-2017, 09:37 PM)
I don't have a problem with logos as long as the logo doesn't look terrible (imo). Thus, I tend to pass on articles of clothing with super large and loud logos, but I don't mind a standard small polo logo for example. I mean...I like the clothes enough to give the company my money, so I don't see what the big deal is if they end up getting some advertising out of it. It's not like I'm advertising some shit I don't like, or I wouldn't be wearing it.
Icyflamez96
(04-18-2017, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by wildfire

Women will look at your feet.

Is this a gaf meme I missed
blame space
King of Members with nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, broken TV, clean phone, and a red username.
(04-18-2017, 09:39 PM)
Are there flagship clothes
wildfire
(04-18-2017, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Icyflamez96

Is this a gaf meme I missed

Not a meme.
gutter_trash
(04-18-2017, 09:40 PM)
i hate big logos,

i loath written lettered logos.

i have seen girls with Joshua Perrets, written in huge ass letters... that's not cool being a walking advert
PantherLotus
Professional Schmuck
(04-18-2017, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by wildfire

No less? You gotta explain yourself there buddy.

The idea that you're a commodity vs a collection of consumer decisions that symbolize your value to society. Or that selectively choosing how the world sees you through social media ("I gotta stay on brand") is somehow different than communicating those same exact things through visible consumer branding.

That's gross to me. I respect the idea but the end result is the same. All just a collection of identifiable decisions communicating a lifestyle and world view.

Oh you're going logo-free? How original.
SciencePilot
(04-18-2017, 09:48 PM)

Originally Posted by aznpxdd

Reading this thread, I'm thinking most people on GAF dress like shit if they avoid most branded goods with logo.

Outside of the logo, branded clothes are more expensive for a reason also...

Quite the opposite. The highest quality clothes don't use branding. That's where I'm at. Branded clothes are below the level of style and quality I'm looking for.

Personally I never wear clothes with logos. They look ugly.
Faiz
(04-18-2017, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by jiji

It just looks like standard WASPy preppy fashion. Unless you're really sensitive about wearing a little alligator?

Which is why he was cutting it off?

Also, not sure how this was a response to the post you quoted.
Korey
(04-18-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by FallingEdge

Depends on the jersey. I think soccer kits are fine. Especially country based jerseys.

Nope. That's cringey.
DOWN
(04-18-2017, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by aznpxdd

Reading this thread, I'm thinking most people on GAF dress like shit if they avoid most branded goods with logo.

Outside of the logo, branded clothes are more expensive for a reason also...

Nope. That's a sign of dressing like shit if your clothes frequently have logos. There's a reason why The Oscars, James Bond, much of the clothing on Vogue runways skip logos. It's beneath the highest quality designer houses and their quality to have to post essentially a gaudy bragger's price tag on everything and to show your lifestyle bracket with such an overt branding.
John Kowalski
#thor2thedarkworld
(04-18-2017, 09:58 PM)
I should just learn to do my own clothes tbh
zewone
(04-18-2017, 09:59 PM)
I go brandless unless it's a small, tasteful logo. Ralph Lauren pony on my shirts isn't a problem.
Jest Chillin
(04-18-2017, 10:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DOWN

Nope. That's a sign of dressing like shit if your clothes frequently have logos. There's a reason why The Oscars, James Bond, much of the clothing on Vogue runways skip logos. It's beneath the highest quality designer houses and their quality to have to post essentially a gaudy bragger's price tag on everything and to show your lifestyle bracket with such an overt branding.

Style is subjective, so can we not have down talking bs like this?
Magus1234
(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by DOWN

Eh, lets not be hasty now. You seem to mostly be talking about formal wear, which is obviously not going to have logos. High fashion definitely uses on-clothing logo branding, though for different reasons. Some brands like CDG will do it ironically or to make a statement, some brands like YSL will do it because it's customers are eager to show off the name. For the most part, and for 99% of people reading this, logos on clothing is tacky and typically indicative of fashion that preys on hype/exclusivity and brand recognition.

Smaller brands you can be a little more open minded, depending on why you wear certain clothes. Personally I never wear anything with a logo on it, but if someone really liked a brand and wanted to promote them I really don't have anything against that.
sixteen-bit
(04-18-2017, 11:28 PM)

Originally Posted by joe2187

I rock these every day

godlike
WormBoi
(04-19-2017, 12:53 AM)
It's not a shirt but still a logo probably worth removing.