• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

see5harp
(04-21-2017, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by xevis

I will never, ever understand why people leave these dumb stickers on their hats. It's not only gauche but pointless, unless you never plan on washing your hat.

People who leave tags on their clothing are mostly classless idiots.
Doc_Drop
(04-21-2017, 08:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Cocaloch

I made the point I was trying to make, that the context renders both actions fundamentally different. I am now responding to your points.

The hostility here is somewhat confusing to me. You're saying something, and I am responding. What is the issue?

The hostility comes from me having no understanding where you are coming from.

Why did you feel the need to respond in the first place? Was it a problem with the first part of my original post or the second? The latter part of my post was merely an aside, which I have explained, in finding it rich someone making that comment questioning maturity whilst sporting an avatar of an animated character. You said I was ignoring context, I appreciate the context but still find it rich, you may not and that's fine.

Treat me like an idiot, explain your actual point
satriales
(04-21-2017, 08:40 AM)
I avoid any clothing that has brand names or ugly logos.
I once walked into a Superdry store before I'd ever heard of them. I couldn't find a single item that wasn't plastered with the word 'SUPERDRY' in huge letters. Would have bought a jacket if it wasn't for that but instead I left empty handed and have never been back again.
jWILL253
(04-21-2017, 08:55 AM)
In my experience, logos are a sign of achievement. From gaudy, extravagant Jordan sneakers, to shit like Coach bags and Ralph Lauren shirts, it all says "I got mine, look at it". It's the same reason why rappers wear gaudy, expensive chains sometimes: when you're not used to having a whole lot, you flaunt whatever you do get.

That said, I don't mind a minimalist approach when it comes to logos on clothing and shoes, while not completely removing the logos. But I don't know if it's becoming a generation-wide trend. Personally, I would like to see a breakdown of race & gender when it comes to logos & branded clothing.

Also, buying a shirt with a logo and removing the logo for some anti-corporate stance is not only corny as hell, but it ruins the value of what you just bought. Just buy a shirt without a logo if you enjoy looking like a stock extra in a cartoon.
ChouGoku
(04-21-2017, 10:30 AM)
I have to wear Nike's I have a size 14 shoe with flat feet. Most shoes don't fit me and if they do they fit terribly. Nikes are the only ones who make a somewhat comfortable shoe for me
Spuck-uk
(04-21-2017, 11:17 AM)
The big logo 'trend' has been around most of my life, and I'm old.
PHOENIXZERO
(04-21-2017, 11:25 AM)
I've never liked being a company's billboard since I was a kid/teenager in the 90 so yeah.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
I've never thought it was cool. I just generally don't guy things with logos. I'm sure if I look in my closet there are a couple exceptions. For the same reason I usually use my own artwork as forum/online avatars.

Why define yourself using through someone else's art? I'm a highly, highly, original guy with extremely original thoughts and ideas. It's incredible how when you start to think "outside of the box", as I like to call it, how suddenly the ideaspace becomes fully diversified and you suddenly have the ability to co-opt and absorb different bits and pieces of different threads in the overall human collective consciousness to weave together a wholly original fabric made of many colors, many designs.

Your originality will ripple across the ideaspace to disrupt the human algorithm, which necessarily seeks a state of equilibrium. A Tapout shirt is the state of lowest energy. A Chanel purse is the human collective consciousness' attempt at efficiency. It is a proxy of a proxy of proxy of a good idea. And you can call it that only if you buy into the assumption that only good ideas proliferate, or that only people with "good" ideas have higher disposable income.

But this is the human algorithm's voodoo. It is both self-referential, and energy conserving to a fault. How do you make a recursive algorithm as efficient as possible? By assuming a consistent, predictable result in every iteration. The less entropy, the fewer calculations that must be done. I'm a very original person, by the way.

When you introduce non-linearity into the system, when you introduce entropy in the system, you force changes in the algorithm. The system must change to account for and encompass a larger amount of total states. Every new or original state caused by an actor fully utilizing their own ideaspace causes the system to reveal another more and more of the true complexity of the system as a whole.

The funny thing is that as the ideaspace of the collective consciousness widens and widens to encompass an ever-growing set, the ability for humans to understand and interpret each other's ideaspaces also widens. This is because, as stated earlier, the algorithm necessarily becomes more and more complex. The ability to relate your own ideas with other people's ideas is heightened.

The framework I outline here is admittedly abstract(especially if you're not an EXPERT in computer science), but to many, some of these concepts probably feel eerily familiar. Part of this feeling is simply the feeling you get when you feel the force of a new ideaspace butting into your own. The emergent additive properties of ideaspaces and entropy, colliding and comingling in perfect ecstasy as we make reality itself our bitch. What I'm trying to say is that if no one wore Nike swoosh sweatshirts, maybe we could achieve world peace.
Last edited by Timedog; 04-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.
linkboy
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)
I wear khaki's and polo shirts and I tend to go for brands where the logo is small and the same color as the item.

I've got some 5/11 shirts where the logo is there, but isn't prominent and I like that. Same with the pants I got from American Eagle, the logo is small and subdued.
Aselith
(04-21-2017, 12:45 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

I don't get this rationale. Wearing something with a logo doesn't endear you to said brand or means you represent said brand anymore than wearing something with art based on a movie or game means you're a walking poster

How is wearing something with a minimalist Captain American shield symbol different from a shirt with a Nike symbol? What you think looks cool, as a clothing design, comes first IMO.

There's some agency there i.e. I like Captain America as a character and so I wear a CA shirt to show my interest or support or what have you. Often, people wear clothes because they like the shirt itself and the logo on it is just a rider that comes with the shirt you like. So removing the logo allows you to only display brands that you intentionally want to represent but still wear the shirt.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, I avoid all logos as much as possibly and usually only have logos on my shoes as I like a specific brand that prints logos on the shoe.
LocknessMobster
(04-21-2017, 01:39 PM)
Never understood why chunky guys wear Superman t-shirts,see it all the time and it cracks me up.
Frodo
(04-21-2017, 01:52 PM)
I've stopped buying heavy logo branded stuff ages ago. Even underwear I rather buy the ones that don't have names on the waistband.

It is a nightmare to buy sports clothing, though. It is hard to find workout gear without logos.
Alpende
(04-21-2017, 02:02 PM)
Come to think of it, I don't have a lot of shirts with big logos on them. I do own two sweatshirts with the brand name on it. Other than that, it's usually a clean design / graphic with no logos.

I would never remove a logo though, I'd just not buy the shirt.
WaterAstro
(04-21-2017, 02:06 PM)
Maybe people don't want to be shown off as a supporter of child labour.
sixteen-bit
(04-21-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Maybe people don't want to be shown off as a supporter of child labour.

true or u could support ethical companies
Faiz
(04-21-2017, 02:29 PM)

Originally Posted by LocknessMobster

Never understood why chunky guys wear Superman t-shirts,see it all the time and it cracks me up.

They aren't chunky, they are "brawny".
Timeaisis
(04-21-2017, 02:33 PM)
I've always thought branded clothes were stupid, but why buy them if you don't like them and want to remove them? Just buy plain clothes. They are cheaper, anyway.
hiryu
(04-21-2017, 02:52 PM)
I hate logos on my clothes but I've always been that way. I've never gone so far to remove a logo from something, I just don't buy something with an annoying logo to begin with. I stick to the basics when it comes to clothes.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(04-21-2017, 10:48 PM)
The power is within you right now as you read these words. No logos no gods no masters.
Fudgepuppy
(04-25-2017, 09:44 PM)
It's hard to do this with band shirts and jeans.
LucidMomentum
(04-25-2017, 09:59 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

true or u could support ethical companies

Recommendations? I want to start moving towards this when I refresh my wardrobe.
andythinkpad
(04-25-2017, 10:06 PM)

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum

Recommendations? I want to start moving towards this when I refresh my wardrobe.

Patagonia for one. Although I am not a big believer of this. I rather buy used or wear sythetic over merino.
TheGreyHulk
(04-25-2017, 10:25 PM)
I just realized all my clothes have no logos on them except for the levis jeans and athletic shoes of course. I only buy my tops at old navy anyways. I like the simple clean look. Being tall and handsome helps as well. Lol