• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SketchTheArtist
(04-19-2017, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

It's difficult to argue with someone who clings to religious belief.

Good effort, Joe.

I felt bad for him. He tried so hard and you really see he loves him.

Must be frustrating knowing someone you like and enjoy the company of being so stubborn.
Pyroclastic
(04-19-2017, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Wolfgunblood Garopa

This is why things are getting more and more fucked up.

Take a fairly reasonable guy like Rogan and put him in an argument with a crazy person who believes utter nonsense, which gives the crazy person's point of view a modicum of credibility as the reasonable person gives the ridiculous idea enough respect to put it across from him as an equal point of view to be debated.

I dunno maybe I'm too optimistic but I think it can help sometimes when there's a host/interviewer who facilitates the saying of stupid shit, even if they agree in part with said stupid shit at times. Anyone who comes out of that as a flat earther because of this video was a lost cause already, but there are probably a few people who believe in such things and share some of Rogan's other beliefs who might think twice about holding that view now.

For example, the first time Milo went on he got hugely flustered even though Joe was being fairly receptive to him and not coming straight out from a default position of hostility.

He said stupid shit, eventually got called out on it elsewhere, and is not anywhere near the level of prominence he was going to reach otherwise. Was actually for some of the most interesting things he ever said rather than for any of the other parts of his cacophony of hate but I digress
Last edited by Pyroclastic; 04-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.
RSTEIN
Comics, serious business!
(04-19-2017, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by IndoAssassin

Because they are anti-science. NASA represents an organization funded by the New World Order to create these false statements in order to keep the people beainwashed to keep them under control

The Patriotic America first brainwashing is the culprit of this. One World Gov't is preached as a fascist Big Brother society which insert organization here (Free Masons, Illuminati, Rockafellers, Globalists, etc...) wants to accomplish. NASA uses fake science to gain this goal.

That doesn't really answer the question, tho. Why would the gov't lie to the world about the earth being round. How does it keep people in control? What is the benefit to the global elite?

At least I can see the angle behind the anti vax movement or chem trail believers.
UrbanRats
(04-19-2017, 03:13 PM)
59 minutes argument with a flat earther.
That's some stamina, Joe.
SolidSnakex
(04-19-2017, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Irishmantis

Nothing got to do with this topic

I like Joe's stuff in UFC and shit

But when it comes to him expressing something, he thinks he got it all figured out. There is no subject that Joe can't chime in on, I really believe he thinks he's a super Genuis or some shit. A Scientist study's something life changing for 30 years, no worries Joe knows too lol. Dude got talent for things but not fucking everything lol.

On topic this guy is nuts

I really don't get the impression that he's a know-it-all. Just watch his most recent interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson where he's basically in awe the entire time just listening to to Neil.
MHWilliams
(04-19-2017, 03:18 PM)
Good ideas delivered civilly does not beat bad ideas: The Video.
JP_
(04-19-2017, 03:21 PM)
We should send all flat earthers into the sun. It'd be educational and productive.
dyergram
(04-19-2017, 03:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Razorback PT

Pretty frustrating watching Joe avoid answering what he really thinks about the moon landings.

He thinks they happened but some of the pictures and videos were faked. (Based on previous statements)
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-19-2017, 03:23 PM)

Originally Posted by 23qwerty

yo some of these youtube comments are scary
a lot of people seem to think the earth might be flat

FUCK

Gali effing Leo could see that they were spheres and he basically had the venetian version of babby's first telescope. I can order one for $100 from Amazon that shows Jupiter and its moons and you can see it rotate in real time.
Beerman462
(04-19-2017, 03:24 PM)
Disprove flat earth to yourself.

Step 1

Watch this video of students in Turkey sending a camera into the stratosphere or this one or watch the Red Bull skydive

If these don't work

Step 2.

Send a camera yourself

if that doesn't work

Step 3

Don't have kids please.
SeanR1221
(04-19-2017, 03:25 PM)

💁🏻*♂️😏
necrosis
(04-19-2017, 03:27 PM)
haven't watched the video & am not going to but:

what the fuck would "globalists" have to gain by pretending the earth is round? does eddie attempt to justify this bullshit at all?
Mahonay
(04-19-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by SeanR1221

💁🏻*♂️😏

Lol amazing.
Takuan
(04-19-2017, 03:28 PM)
I just started listening to this. Only Joe is stubborn enough to even try debating Edgie Brah on conspiracy stuff. I was hoping Bryan Callen would be able to get through to him, but that just resulted in Callen getting (visibly) angry.

Originally Posted by Beerman462

Disprove flat earth to yourself.

Step 1

Watch this video of students in Turkey sending a camera into the stratosphere or this one or watch the Red Bull skydive

If these don't work

Step 2.

Send a camera yourself

if that doesn't work

Step 3

Don't have kids please.

Lens tricks, bro. What shape are lenses? Exactly.

It's all right in front of your eyes, bro.
Beerman462
(04-19-2017, 03:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Takuan

I just started listening to this. Only Joe is stubborn enough to even try debating Edgie Brah on conspiracy stuff. I was hoping Bryan Callen would be able to get through to him, but that just resulted in Callen getting (visibly) angry.

Lens tricks, bro. What shape are lenses? Exactly.

It's all right in front of your eyes, bro.

The Illuminati manufactures the cameras.
BLOODED_hands
(04-19-2017, 03:31 PM)

💁🏻*♂️😏

Great. You're telling me that not only is the Earth flat but we also have Space Dinosaurs?!
ironcreed
Banned
(04-19-2017, 03:31 PM)
I cannot believe that in 2017 we have a rising movement that actually thinks the Earth is fucking flat. How can so many people regress so far? This is just amazing to me.
mnannola
(04-19-2017, 03:32 PM)
Every time I hear that someone believes that the Earth is flat, I just assume they are just joking around. My brain cannot comprehend that someone actually believes the Earth is flat.
rpmurphy
(04-19-2017, 03:33 PM)

This scene. lol
SketchTheArtist
(04-19-2017, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by necrosis

what the fuck would "globalists" have to gain by pretending the earth is round? does eddie attempt to justify this bullshit at all?

It's hard sometimes for people to grasp certain concepts as simple as ''The Earth is round.''

It's like 9/11; people can't wrap their heads around the fact that a couple of people with a few hours of training in plane piloting and a couple of box cutters took down one of America's biggest symbols. They can't do it so they just start believing all sorts of crazy theories as to what could've REALLY happened to make themselves less anxious.

Or sometimes its just attention-seekers. Still, it's not good for you or people around you.

There was this podcast that Bill Burr did once where a listener talked about his friend that was neck-deep in conspiracy theories and Bill talked about his experience. He said that it's just an infinite black hole you can fall into and people around you at one point start to get tired of this shtick, so you gotta let go for yourself and those you love around you. Some people don't get that.
ironcreed
Banned
(04-19-2017, 03:36 PM)

Originally Posted by mnannola

Every time I hear that someone believes that the Earth is flat, I just assume they are just joking around. My brain cannot comprehend that someone actually believes the Earth is flat.

It is actually a growing movement right now, lol. Dark times.
HotHamBoy
(04-19-2017, 03:37 PM)
Here's what I really don't understand about Flat Earthers: Why?

What would any one gain by convincing the world that it's a globe if it wasn't?
TheCool69
(04-19-2017, 03:39 PM)
If you want to see how deep Bravo gets into this when there is nobody stopping him..

Listen to his recently aired "Eddie Bravo flat earth special podcast" ..
chromatic9
(04-19-2017, 03:40 PM)

Originally Posted by RSTEIN

That doesn't really answer the question, tho. Why would the gov't lie to the world about the earth being round. How does it keep people in control? What is the benefit to the global elite?

At least I can see the angle behind the anti vax movement or chem trail believers.

One angle they have is the covering up of a God or other creator, if the earth is flat then it's an obvious creation for us. We have religions of course but no proof. The current accepted idea from science is we're on a unimportant piece of rock of natural occurrences in the great void of space of seemingly no reason or relevance to any of the trillions of galaxies, planets and stars.

Our lives would change if we knew we're in some creation. One could say control, keep things how they are or hiding of a God in a malevolent way.
Arkeband
(04-19-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by HotHamBoy

Here's what I really don't understand about Flat Earthers: Why?

What would any one gain by convincing the world that it's a globe if it wasn't?

It's a conspiracy pushed by Big Balls.
Skyr
(04-19-2017, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Irishmantis

Nothing got to do with this topic

I like Joe's stuff in UFC and shit

But when it comes to him expressing something, he thinks he got it all figured out. There is no subject that Joe can't chime in on, I really believe he thinks he's a super Genuis or some shit. A Scientist study's something life changing for 30 years, no worries Joe knows too lol. Dude got talent for things but not fucking everything lol.

On topic this guy is nuts

Uh? I feel like he is the exact opposite.
He is a pretty open minded guy that obviously likes to discuss and debate a massive amount of topics.
I don't feel like he is acting like he's got it all figured out.
I mean thats why he gets experts about those topics on his show in the first place, because he likes to constantly learn about them.

Well and then there are his buddys ofc like eddy, schaub and callen. That's a bit of a different thing tho. These guys like to talk shit and bust each others balls.
I can't really take anything serious when they are together. It's really just pure entertainment.
Novocaine
(04-19-2017, 03:53 PM)
Eddie Bravo is a nut job, news at 11.

Well at least he is giving the chemtrails shit a rest for a while.

And agree with the several posts in here regarding Rogan in that he can say and think some pretty silly shit but he will always listen to reason and change his stance if proven wrong.
Shai-Tan
(04-19-2017, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

I think that would be using an outlier to prove a general rule. Rogan himself used to believe in various conspiracy theories. I remember the old days on the UG (Underground Forum) when they would post these random threads about the moon landing being a hoax. What is also important to consider is how the process of belief works. Stubborn ideas are protected by supporting beliefs that explain away conflicting alternative explanations. In the moment the person defending their theory will have part of their identity invested in it feeding the cognitive dissonance they feel. Conspiracy believers like the idea that they know something other people don't know and don't want to be exposed as a fool like anyone else making it also about lowering the shields from personal defense mechanisms.

In the philosophy of science what could be called a "difference maker" is rare - we more often question the evidence that doesn't fit a general framework; so making someone change their mind requires building up an alternative model for them to try on in mind or in conversation and eventually own it. Most people never admit they were wrong - they have the contrary idea in mind until one day they own the contrary idea. We can only speculate on who Eddie has been listening to but I'm going to guess the people he is talking to also reinforce his point of view whereas Rogan is talking to a lot of people with different perspectives on his podcast. EDIT: The social aspect also has a similarity to cults and addictive game design. People get a social standing in a community and social benefits from being in a group and dropping out of it cuts one off from the community. Where this fits in game design is how free 2 play design uses social glue to lock people into gameplay they find unfun because stopping the game would mean dropping out of the chat room and the relationships that came with it. Sometimes the players can migrate to a different game or the relationships survive into a more real social media but there's that fear that the relationships disperse. Conspiracy theories are often tied to communities like this as are recovery groups for physical ailments or psychological problems
Last edited by Shai-Tan; 04-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(04-19-2017, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by paskowitz

And this is why I don't waste my time with Joe Rogan.

Yo, hold up, this can't go unanswered. Do you actually believe the Earth is flat? Please tell us you're not that dumb.
moggio
(04-19-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by TesUsa

No. Like I said before he's willing to change his mind based on facts.

Is he still peddling Onnit Alpha Brain supplements?
MyleMan1010
(04-19-2017, 04:09 PM)
I'm on Eddie's side. It's far more fun to think everything is a lie. That way, when stuff gets exposed I can say, "I've been saying it for years!"
ThisGuy
Banned
(04-19-2017, 04:13 PM)

💁🏻*♂️😏

Aw shit lol
imBask
(04-19-2017, 04:14 PM)

Originally Posted by MyleMan1010

I'm on Eddie's side. It's far more fun to think everything is a lie. That way, when stuff gets exposed I can say, "I've been saying it for years!"

that 5 min of fun can't be worth being "that guy uggghhh" for 30 years
googleplex

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

Which is why it drives me nuts when someone suggest that we not call racist/misogynist/bigots what they are. But just "calmly debate" their ideas.

Trying to educate people like this is a exercises in futility.
G0523
This isn't even worth listening to.

On that note, this is the first thing I thought of:

IonicSnake
(04-19-2017, 04:15 PM)

💁🏻*♂️😏

Now I want to know what's on the other side of the plate.
Count Dookkake
(04-19-2017, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by IonicSnake

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(04-19-2017, 04:20 PM)

Originally Posted by IonicSnake

nynt9
(04-19-2017, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by capitalCORN

So what exactly is the 'definition' of a globalist to these people exactly? Did the Illuminati and the Freemasons get new branding somewhere down the line?

It's a dog whistle for "Jew"
AngmarsKing701
(04-19-2017, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Hellraizer

You can't argue with flat earthers. Everything is fake, nothing is real. Reality is fake to them. These people are a lost cause and probably overdue for some seirous psychiatric treatment.

Even if you put them into orbit, they will probably say they were drugged/dreaming/have fake eyes put in their head.

Had a co-worker once who was a firm believer in the Bible being literal. As in, the world is really only 4,000 years old. Fossils were actually placed there by God. Any science indicating the world is older than 4,000 years is fake or, he would occasionally trot this out: "God made the world as old as He wanted to make it so that when Adam and Eve walked in the garden it was already that old."

Like, wut? There was no rational debate to be had with him. He was unshakable in his belief and his faith.

In short, he was fucking batshit. And for someone who was a tester in a software company, who daily tested the veracity of code, to be so blind to science ... it baffles me still today.
VanWinkle
(04-19-2017, 04:23 PM)
You can't argue with these people. Please don't try and waste time convincing them with facts. You just have to ignore them and hope they eventually come to their senses.
itsgreen
(04-19-2017, 04:23 PM)
Excuse me I am not up to date on the flat earth theories ;) But how do they explain point to point airtravel, be it, LA to London, LA to Melbourne, Melbourne to Tokyo, Tokyo to London etc etc? Somewhere there has to be an edge right?
imBask
(04-19-2017, 04:25 PM)

Originally Posted by itsgreen

Excuse me I am not up to date on the flat earth theories ;) But how do they explain point to point airtravel, be it, LA to London, LA to Melbourne, Melbourne to Tokyo, Tokyo to London etc etc? Somewhere there has to be an edge right?

Do you actually see the path they're taking?

Those plane monitors GPS are fake, government created them, etc etc
Emerson
May contain jokes =>
(04-19-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by necrosis

they're "globe"alists dude they can't even exist if the world is flat so they lie to SUCKERS like you

follow the money fuckin sheep
boneyjangles

Originally Posted by collige

Joe Rogan needs to stop inviting these types of idiots onto his show even if he totally disagrees with them. I got about 5 seconds into that video.

Joe was one of these idiots too until a few years back. Maybe not every conspiracy, but he's gone in on 9/11, fake moon landings and others pretty hard in the past.

And lets not forget, these people aren't idiots at all - Eddie Bravo is grappling genius, one of the best in the world at what he does, has come up with tournament rules and methods that people consider to be excellent.
SocksAndShoes
How do flat earthers explain what happens with you find the edge of the earth?

Do they think you flip along the edge and keep going?
Adam Sadler
(04-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
Hmm, what Joe Rogan is saying is interesting
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(04-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Flat earth is just a super troll.

Nobody actually believes it.
boneyjangles
(04-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
oops
imBask
(04-19-2017, 04:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

Flat earth is just a super troll.

Nobody actually believes it.

That's what the round earthers want you to believe brah