• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Mr.Fletcher
(04-20-2017, 12:19 PM)
While I'm not convinced the game will deliver, I'm happy to see a developer take the Souls-like experience to a totally different world.

I (and I'd wager a fair few others) am actually put off by the oppressive environments and freakish monsters in From Software's games - though I can appreciate the craftsmanship in the design.

Taking tried and true mechanics, putting a twist on them and packaging them in a more palatable way for the average joe like me is welcome.

But again, I'm not sure this is the game that will do that well... you never know, God of War might be the western equivalent in the next year or so.
Last edited by Mr.Fletcher; 04-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.
FallenGrace
(04-20-2017, 12:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Anung

Dude 40k Souls is something I didn't know I wanted but now I want it more than anything.

Truth lol.
Heavy Iron Industries
(04-20-2017, 12:22 PM)
The true Rise of the Robots.
Alienfan
(04-20-2017, 12:22 PM)
Looks good. My only worry is, either that trailer took place in the same level or the game seriously lacks a variety of environments
T.O.P
(04-20-2017, 12:23 PM)
The more footage they release the more i'm tempted to buy it D1
Theorry
(04-20-2017, 12:25 PM)
Its good that they bring some vertically into the genre.
FUNKNOWN iXi
(04-20-2017, 12:26 PM)
Looks fun. Consider my curiosity piqued.
Pinko Marx
(04-20-2017, 12:29 PM)
Wow I had totally forgotten about the existence of this game. Last we saw it was E3 right?
I think I remember not being all that interested and this trailer doesn't do much to change me mind.
Theorry
(04-20-2017, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Pinko Marx

Wow I had totally forgotten about the existence of this game. Last we saw it was E3 right?
I think I remember not being all that interested and this trailer doesn't do much to change me mind.

Not really. There has been a constant drop of info, footage, previews since the announcement at Gamescom last year. :)
dlauv
(04-20-2017, 12:33 PM)
At $60 this is going to get slaughtered.

I think its biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to have much of a visual personality, inside baseball of "sci-fi in the genre" aside.
nextgeneration
(04-20-2017, 12:33 PM)
Looks great to me. Added to my Steam wishlist. Price isn't too bad at $44.99 but I'll wait for a sale before considering buying.
KCroxtonJr
(04-20-2017, 12:34 PM)

There has been quite a bit of gameplay shown since E3. They actually recently sent a preview out to a bunch of youtubers and such, which goes up to the first boss.

Avoid FightingCowboy's video of it.
Pinko Marx
(04-20-2017, 12:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Theorry

Not really. There has been a constant drop of info, footage, previews since the announcement at Gamescom last year. :)

Originally Posted by KCroxtonJr

There has been quite a bit of gameplay shown since E3. They actually recently sent a preview out to a bunch of youtubers and such, which goes up to the first boss.

Avoid FightingCowboy's video of it.

Curious how I've missed all that. I'll check out more of it.
StaffyManasse
(04-20-2017, 12:36 PM)

Originally Posted by HStallion

Someone isn't aware of the grim darkness of the year 40,000 and its prevalence for attacking tanks big as city blocks with claws, chainsaw swords and fists.

Originally Posted by Anung

Dude 40k Souls is something I didn't know I wanted but now I want it more than anything.

Originally Posted by FallenGrace

Truth lol.

Shit. Someone make this. I suppose GW is still giving out the licence like candy?
Shredderi
(04-20-2017, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by knitoe

32 sec: A machine is shooting some sort of projectile, looks like bullets.

1:39: Giant Robot shooting missiles vertical then they turn toward the characters direction. Yeah, you need those types of explosives for mining...

The projectiles in the game seem to be in the spirit of first Dead Space with it's weapons that were actually mining tools (except for actual weapons like the pulse rifle).

But yeah, the genre will definitely work in Scifi very well. Been waiting for it a long time actually. I won't mind if there are some long range options but melee is the appeal for me in this genre so I'm very glad they went with it.
Theorry
(04-20-2017, 12:39 PM)

Curious how I've missed all that. I'll check out more of it.

Most of it got a thread on gaf. So this is a nice list. :)

http://neogaf.site/forum/search.p...rchid=26167529
Dunkley
(04-20-2017, 12:42 PM)
Looks a whole lot faster than I've seen before, still interested about the body targeting mechanics but it looks a bit less like Souls than it did before.

That being said it looks leaps above what Lords of the Fallen felt like, and I'm curious to see how their second take on this type of Souls-ish ARPG gameplay will do. I'm not expecting a straight up Souls clone but I do hope they manage to nail what they set out to, which seems ramping up the difficulty and investing a ton more into environmental storytelling.

And honestly, even if this doesn't hit its mark either, I do hope they keep trying. I sure as hell want Nioh to grow and develop, and I'd love Deck13 to be able to participate in this section of the ARPG genre with their own input as well since being an avid fan of Souls it's a genre I really want to grow.
Last edited by Dunkley; 04-20-2017 at 12:45 PM.
wesleyshark
(04-20-2017, 12:42 PM)
This actually looks pretty good. I like the art style.
HassanJamal
(04-20-2017, 12:50 PM)
Combat looks fast and incorporating jumping definitely adds its own spin on the Souls genre.

Keeping an eye on this but will wait for reviews and impressions.
Fermbiz
(04-20-2017, 12:56 PM)
Looks much better. I enjoyed LotF, I know I will like The Surge.
Icyflamez96
(04-20-2017, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Aklamarth

Old castles and decrepit hallways look a lot better than a industrial setting.

Meh. I like souls games, but those castle bricks and general setting aside from certain locations always looked bland as fuck. It's a big reason why I always wanted a sci-fi souls. This looks nice and fresh to me after 4 games of that.
Corpsepyre
(04-20-2017, 01:01 PM)
Why is the combat so heavy and slow in modern action games? Ugh.
AllIsOneIsNone
(04-20-2017, 01:01 PM)
I like the idea but I'm not sold on what I'm seeing so far. The gameplay looks pretty clunky to me, and not a fan of the aesthetic at all.

I'm definitely more interested in Absolver, love the art and gameplay, plus it's got multiplayer PvP (does this game have that?).
KCroxtonJr
(04-20-2017, 01:04 PM)
Watching the video again, the video is definitely not sped up at any point. If you keep an eye on the triangle icon, you can see the outer rotating dashes spinning at the same speed throughout.

I guess they could have sped up the actual game speed through dev controls or something, doubt it though.

Also, if anybody is interested, here is another "Sci-fi Souls" game, Hellpoint. It's on kickstarter right now, doesn't look super polished or anything, but the concept and some of the gameplay aspects seem interesting. There's even a free alpha demo.
Ricker
(04-20-2017, 01:08 PM)
Looks pretty good...ajustable difficulty settings please so I can enjoy it not be frustrated by it... ;P
Ryuuga
(04-20-2017, 01:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Corpsepyre

Why is the combat so heavy and slow in modern action games? Ugh.

I don't mind slow and deliberate, but I can't subscribe to it in a setting that features advanced technology.
Sony
Nintendo
(04-20-2017, 01:11 PM)

Technically it's current gen but the image wouldn't work then
Karak
(04-20-2017, 01:15 PM)
Really enjoyed my time with the preview build
Ryuuga
(04-20-2017, 01:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Karak

Did you also enjoy Lord of the Fallen?
HeisenbergWW62
(04-20-2017, 01:23 PM)

Originally Posted by danowat

Can we play soulsborne fan posts bingo?

Soulsborne fan here, I'm looking forward to this game. Moreso after this video
Horp
(04-20-2017, 01:24 PM)
The voice over for the trailer should be something like:
"In a distant future... when people have forgotten that guns and rockets exists... "
HassanJamal
(04-20-2017, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Karak

Your thoughts so far? Also, can you compare it to any other Souls game?
HStallion
(04-20-2017, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Ryuuga

I don't mind slow and deliberate, but I can't subscribe to it in a setting that features advanced technology.

You need to experience more Sci fi as its not at all an uncommon trope to see people with faster than light travel still fighting with melee weapons in a very deliberate manner. Dune is one of the most famous examples were humanity has spread through the galaxy, has faster than light travel, anti gravity technology, and so on yet most people fight with melee weapons and focus on far future martial arts. The Forever War has large parts where humanity travels the stars fighting a super advanced alien race with... traditional axes, pikes, swords, etc.
Last edited by HStallion; 04-20-2017 at 01:37 PM.
thumb
(04-20-2017, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Horp

The voice over for the trailer should be something like:
"In a distant future... when people have forgotten that guns and rockets exists... "

At least pay attention to the premise. The guy is stuck in a factory where the robots have gone haywire. Weapons are repurposed and modified equipment, at least starting out.
Freeman76
(04-20-2017, 01:29 PM)

Not after 4 games with practically the same scenery. That gothic castle style is done, DS3 felt so generic scenery wise to me because that shit is played out now.
danowat
(04-20-2017, 01:37 PM)
There was a 3hr stream on my Youtube suggestions, if anyone wants a bit more gameplay......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDl8WnlXx8U
Sony
Nintendo
(04-20-2017, 01:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Ryuuga

Did you also enjoy Lord of the Fallen?

Ah wait this is from the Lords of the Fallen devs right? I forgot. I absolutely loved that game!
Parapraxis
(04-20-2017, 01:42 PM)

Originally Posted by FallenGrace

The game is set in an industrial area full of workers rigs and equipment. Why would there be all these military weapons around?

Is it also possible there are other settings yet to be revealed?
Zaventem
(04-20-2017, 01:47 PM)

That's just the direction they took. Some areas in the new nier showed that this setting doesn't have to look like complete ass.
Whompa02
Banned
(04-20-2017, 01:50 PM)
This looks like a game that sounded great on paper...
Mash83
(04-20-2017, 01:52 PM)
Looks clunky as hell, like you're locked into animation once you initiate an attack. Hopefully they have faster builds that prioritize speed.
ricardo_sousa11
(04-20-2017, 01:52 PM)
This looks stunning, I didnt know about this so im mind blown, will def. try this out!
FusedAtoms
(04-20-2017, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by brawly

Yo, this looks fucking cool. Only thing I dislike is the slow down that occurs when you hit the enemy.

This, it seems unnecessary. Any chance it's just a bad trailer effect?
Hyun Sai
(04-20-2017, 01:56 PM)
30 or 60FPS ?
Theorry
(04-20-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Hyun Sai

30 or 60FPS ?

30 on "regular" consoles. On Pro you have a option, 4k/30 or 1080p/60
PC offcourse what you want.
Jingo
(04-20-2017, 02:01 PM)
I aint the biggest fan of lotf but saying this is clunkly its ridiculous, great trailer with great combat, fast and smooth, i just hope the video wasnt speed up.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(04-20-2017, 02:11 PM)
looks extremely clunky..all that jumping around while having those slow wind up moves makes no sense. they only took half of the movement speed from BB without balancing the movement speed with contextual animations that flow properly.

I get they are trying to make "sci fi souls" but i also hope its balanced properly, Lords of the fallen, and let it die have already failed, hopefully they can improve more
Ryuuga
(04-20-2017, 02:15 PM)

Originally Posted by HStallion

You need to experience more Sci fi as its not at all an uncommon trope to see people with faster than light travel still fighting with melee weapons in a very deliberate manner. Dune is one of the most famous examples were humanity has spread through the galaxy, has faster than light travel, anti gravity technology, and so on yet most people fight with melee weapons and focus on far future martial arts. The Forever War has large parts where humanity travels the stars fighting a super advanced alien race with... traditional axes, pikes, swords, etc.

I get it. I personally can't subscribe to the idea that technology has advanced so far in some areas and have seemingly remained stagnant in others. If combat and warfare is a reality as time advances, I can see the tools advancing to match it.
nelsonroyale
(04-20-2017, 02:16 PM)
Looks pretty cool, I just wish there was also a strong narrative focus and more interesting environments to go with it. Will keep an eye.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(04-20-2017, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by danowat

So all those saying it looked slow and boring, what about now?

it looks the same.