• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

disap.ed
Member
(04-20-2017, 04:50 PM)
disap.ed's Avatar
Reminds me of the Project HAMMER reveal.
thumb
Member
(04-20-2017, 04:54 PM)
thumb's Avatar

Originally Posted by D13Michael

The Surge makes use of a prebuild character. That's due to story reasons. And yes, we know, we have read the request for custom characters quite often by now. And that's definitely something we're evaluating for the future.

Understood. I'm definitely interested in the game.
Sorral
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:02 PM)
Sorral's Avatar
Whether it is slowed down or sped up, the combat is looking better and better every time I see more of it. A couple of friends and I are very interested in the game.

Not liking the game just because it doesn't feature guns in a sci-fi setting is silly to me honestly. At this point, I want this genre to continue being successful, so we can get more games trying new things and expanding it overtime.
HStallion
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:09 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by knitoe

If you played "Souls" game, you would know that starting out "magic" was overpowering in PVE which FROM nerfed many times. Otherwise, they made the game too easy and unlike "Souls." Thus, as I have said, even though we normally expect many powerful range weapons in a scifi setting, I fully expected they would be even more nonsensically limited than in Bloodborne.

As for you edit pen and paper example, people still use it because it's cheap, easy and readily available. Not everyone can afford and/or have access to tablet + stylus. Not sure how this applies to discussing about "Souls" game.

Because like today and in general, not everyone in a far future advanced technology society will have access to lasers and rail guns just like I don't have access to a mini gun or rocket launcher. Also the fact that the magic in the Souls makes the game easier is the point of my post. Its far more implausible to kill a monster big as a small building by hacking away at its leg with an axe or poking its ankle with a spear when you have access to magical abilities that are a far better and more "plausible" way to kill a humongous monster that has defeated countless heroes in the past.

I just don't care for the plausability argument in an already fantastic setting unless it goes against the rules set up for the universe it takes place in. We even had a developer say the game takes place in a setting where far future long range weapons are not prevalent.
Last edited by HStallion; 04-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.
spannicus
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:21 PM)
spannicus's Avatar

Originally Posted by danowat

There was a 3hr stream on my Youtube suggestions, if anyone wants a bit more gameplay......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDl8WnlXx8U

Guy gets his ass handed to him.
Psychoward
McLovin
(04-20-2017, 05:35 PM)
Psychoward's Avatar
Well, I'm all for more sci-fi arpgs but I really, really wasn't a fan of Lords of the Fallen so I'll just keep an eye on this one, especially at $60. Hope it ends up being good.
plushyp
Junior Member
(04-20-2017, 08:15 PM)
plushyp's Avatar

Originally Posted by D13Michael

The Surge makes use of a prebuild character. That's due to story reasons. And yes, we know, we have read the request for custom characters quite often by now. And that's definitely something we're evaluating for the future.

How much focus is there on the story btw?
Okingjrr
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:23 PM)
Okingjrr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

You can have 40K Souls right after I get my 40K FPS!

Well Space Hulk: Deathwing is a thing.
Karspankey
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:25 PM)
Karspankey's Avatar
Well, my interest just went from a little bit to a lot. Looks really cool!
DarknessTear
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:26 PM)
DarknessTear's Avatar
The lack of impact when hits land really turn me off to this game.
RS4-
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:30 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar
re: the ducking and jumping over attacks, I'm guessing that's just a secondary dodge button that is contextual depending on the height of the attack?

Or maybe just the dodge button without a direction pressed at the same time?
Relaxed Muscle
Member
(04-20-2017, 09:58 PM)
Relaxed Muscle's Avatar


After the dissapointing Lords of the Fallen and it's subpar combat (well, it's subpar everything, it was a mediocre game), this looks much better. I knew that while mediocre the last game had the potential to be much more.

A shame about the boring enviroments and overall artstyle. But if the combat is as good as it looks, I'll get it.
Dude Abides
Member
(04-20-2017, 10:09 PM)
Dude Abides's Avatar
Looks neat. I will probably get it, though probably not at $60.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(04-20-2017, 10:24 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar
While I like the look of the overall game, my two main gripes from that trailer is that the combat impacts look really weak, and that the environments seem really boring and dull
nailbombxx
Member
(04-20-2017, 11:12 PM)
nailbombxx's Avatar

Originally Posted by dlauv

Obviously we won't know if it's better until we play it. You can jump and duck under hitboxes, it seems. Also, your character seems to have different modes of approach based on weapons (slide with sword, dash punches with fists). I also like the option of a knee move or grab and kick. Seems promising, fast paced, varied and the camera actually keeps up with the action.

It could just be a good trailer tho.

The game does try to do a few things to stand out it seems like adding more beat 'em up like mechanics to the combat system which... admirable but still isn't enough to make it seem like more than their gimmick of "Souls clone that is Sci-Fi and plays worse". My main issue is that the movements look really wonky. Your character doesn't move very fast, there's a lot of slowdown on your attacks and yet they don't seem that powerful. What's more is that the dodge attacks have your character quickly floating and sliding around all over the place and it just doesn't seem consistent imo. Not a fan of the QTEs they put in either. That said it looks like it could be fun but to me it looks like it plays more like a common 3D beat 'em up instead of something like Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Thats my most objective issue with the game and based off of the trailers they put out. I'm not a fan of their art direction either so far so I don't really think this game is for me even though I'm the Dark Souls fan that they're targeting.
Raptor
Santa sees your bad GAF threads.
(04-21-2017, 12:43 AM)
Raptor's Avatar

Originally Posted by D13Michael




Ours being actually that its not set in a military setting but within a private company / industry complex. There are however security robots as well from time to time. And some stuff might be used for ranged combat, too. But overall it's more like "Oh this is a scrapyard? Heck, lets use this god damn chainsawsword-like thingy which was used to cut scrap and cut limbs with it!".

Cut limbs you say?

Ummmm neat Im sold.
Morrigan Stark
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by AudioEppa

Still does.


Every new video I watch, the game comes off more and more generically blah.

Same. Combat looks possibly a bit better than before, but the environments are still very, very drab and boring.

Originally Posted by D13Michael

The Surge makes use of a prebuild character. That's due to story reasons. And yes, we know, we have read the request for custom characters quite often by now. And that's definitely something we're evaluating for the future.

Same reason was given for LotF's protagonist, and we all know how that turned out... :P
D13Michael
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 08:09 AM)
D13Michael's Avatar

Originally Posted by plushyp

How much focus is there on the story btw?

It really depends on the player. You can find lots of stuff which explains the background of what is happening. But you can also ignore all that stuff and just play the game.
GwyndolinCinder
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:43 AM)
GwyndolinCinder's Avatar
Well after this trailer, i looked up some more videos such as this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kp8zWibhIQ

I feel like devs making these games need to stop letting people like IGN play them, they just look god awful when played by someone who doesnt have a clue what they are doing. The combat does indeed seem to play like this trailer, so they have my attention, but something still looks clunky about it.
Chobel
I shouldn't make bets because every time I do my tag gets worse
(04-21-2017, 12:02 PM)
Chobel's Avatar
So this automatic slowdown when some hits or combos happen, can it be disabled? Because it's really bothering me here.

Edit: I see it's already been answered.

Originally Posted by D13Michael

You can turn them off completely in the options if you dislike them. So no fear ;)

Cheers! 👍
Last edited by Chobel; 04-21-2017 at 12:05 PM.
drotahorror
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:11 PM)
drotahorror's Avatar

Originally Posted by Basketball

Looks janky and clunky
as fuck

just like Lords of the Fallen

str8 gahbage

You're mistaken.

Anyways, looks pretty cool. Definitely better than the other trailers. Bit concerned about variety in locales though.
Calm Mind
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:14 PM)
Calm Mind's Avatar
This looks very promising. UE4 right?
Jaeger
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:12 PM)
Jaeger's Avatar

Originally Posted by D13Michael

..

This looks great, IMO. I am so happy to see the application of a sci-fi applied to the "Souls" game mechanics and aesthetics. This looks like it's going to be fantastic. Can't wait to play it!
DemWalls
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:20 PM)
DemWalls's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calm Mind

This looks very promising. UE4 right?

Nope, it's their own engine.
renzolama
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:07 AM)
I'm excited about this game because (a) I enjoyed LotF for what it was and (b) my main gameplay focus is on combat, but boy is it hard to ignore the fact that 90% of the engagements through the constant fast cuts in that video look as though they're occurring in the same generic narrow corridor or small square arena. I'm not sure that style of content/editing was the best choice when the environments are so texturally and geometrically uninteresting.
Last edited by renzolama; 04-22-2017 at 12:12 AM.
PFD
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:20 AM)
PFD's Avatar
It looks cool but it's kinda weird that in the future everyone decided to just go melee
St3v3
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:21 AM)
St3v3's Avatar
Oh this is made by the same devs as Lord's of the Fallen? That greatly lowers my interest in this even if it does look cool, I gave Lord's a 5/10 so I really didn't like it.
Mister Wolf
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:30 AM)
Mister Wolf's Avatar
Combat looks terrible.
CrazyHal
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:34 AM)
CrazyHal's Avatar
Wow. This looks like a HUGE improvement over Lords of the fallen. Looks like the folks at Deck 13 took the criticism that the game got to heart.
renzolama
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by St3v3

Oh this is made by the same devs as Lord's of the Fallen? That greatly lowers my interest in this even if it does look cool, I gave Lord's a 5/10 so I really didn't like it.

I can't tell if this is a parody post or not, it's a wonderful encapsulation of the same repeating shitpost that makes up around 50% of the contributions to every thread related to LotF in any way. I'm going to believe that it is, because then it's funny.
St3v3
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:47 AM)
St3v3's Avatar

Originally Posted by renzolama

I can't tell if this is a parody post or not, it's a wonderful encapsulation of the same repeating shitpost that makes up around 50% of the contributions to every thread related to LotF in any way. I'm going to believe that it is, because then it's funny.

Posting my opinion is a shit post? Well OK then.
Calm Mind
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:52 AM)
Calm Mind's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemWalls

Nope, it's their own engine.

Very impressive! I will have to have a conversation with devs one day.
Relaxed Muscle
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:55 AM)
Relaxed Muscle's Avatar

Originally Posted by renzolama

I can't tell if this is a parody post or not, it's a wonderful encapsulation of the same repeating shitpost that makes up around 50% of the contributions to every thread related to LotF in any way. I'm going to believe that it is, because then it's funny.

LotF is a mediocre game to me too. Not going to explain why in this thread, but certainly is not an uncommon opinion.

In my case, I think the combat looks interesting and certainly I'm giving the devs the benefit of the doubt. But I have my concerns on areas like level design, weapon and armor skin variety, enemy attack patterns and placement, bosses and many things the original failed to deliver.

But while I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt, I don't think there's something wrong from other people not doing the same. If the games ends being good, I'm sure word of mouth will reach to them and consider to change their stance.
renzolama
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by St3v3

Posting my opinion is a shit post? Well OK then.

There's a common phenomenon I see in almost every thread related to The Surge where a significant percentage of posts seem to be focused on mocking/insulting the developers of Lords of the Fallen; not just commenting negatively about the game, but specifically targeting the developers as being soooo awful and incompetent.

It's bizarre, and as someone who is appalled at the increasing trend of internet communities targeting personal individuals for perceived video game faults/failures, it frustrates the shit out of me to see. Your post triggered me a bit I guess, but I apologize for lumping you into that category and disregarding your opinion as a shitpost if this was not your intention.
richard4481
Junior Member
(04-22-2017, 01:07 AM)
richard4481's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ricker

Looks pretty good...ajustable difficulty settings please so I can enjoy it not be frustrated by it... ;P

Back in January there was an article (Putting the Souls into sci-fi; The Surge) that delved into a lot of the details and mechanics of this game.

There's various difficulties for each of the bosses, basically an easy method and harder ones with you gifted rarer loot depending on which route you took to kill it.


Also having a good laugh at people going back and forth trying to come up with scientific explanations of why they aren't using laser guns in the far future. It's a video game people :D sometimes you have to take the thinking caps off lol and have some fun.
Last edited by richard4481; 04-22-2017 at 01:11 AM.
St3v3
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:13 AM)
St3v3's Avatar

Originally Posted by renzolama

There's a common phenomenon I see in almost every thread related to The Surge where a significant percentage of posts seem to be focused on mocking/insulting the developers of Lords of the Fallen; not just commenting negatively about the game, but specifically targeting the developers as being soooo awful and incompetent.

It's bizarre, and as someone who is appalled at the increasing trend of internet communities targeting personal individuals for perceived video game faults/failures, it frustrates the shit out of me to see. Your post triggered me a bit I guess, but I apologize for lumping you into that category and disregarding your opinion as a shitpost if this was not your intention.

I didn't realize I was making a personal attack on the devs, I thought I was just posting my thoughts, which are I'm very wary of this game because Lord's was so poor.
renzolama
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:25 AM)

Originally Posted by St3v3

I didn't realize I was making a personal attack on the devs, I thought I was just posting my thoughts, which are I'm very wary of this game because Lord's was so poor.

I just misinterpreted your comment due to my own bias then. I guess it might be worth pointing out that I work in software development on some relatively high-profile/visibility products myself which contributes to my overreactions depending on the day of the week too. Apologies!
Spiritreaver
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:28 AM)
Spiritreaver's Avatar
The game looks more exciting to me than Nioh, mostly due to the setting. I dropped Nioh pretty fast though so I'm kinda torn on trying another Soulslike from someone other than From. I'll wait for reviews, but this game looks promising.
WhiteWolf
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:39 AM)
WhiteWolf's Avatar
Watch blood spurts shoot out but not leave any stains on the floor annoys me, but it looked ok for the most part.
teiresias
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:58 AM)
teiresias's Avatar
Combat looks ok, though not as satisfying as Bloodborne at that speed or as methodical and satisfying as Souls. The environments are also boring me to tears in this video.
LordKasual
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:59 AM)
This shit looks sick af

now i'm going to blackout it until it releases.
SmoothRunningGun
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:04 AM)
After lords of f I would need a demo, but the trailer looks ok.
hydruxo
Member
(04-22-2017, 04:25 AM)
hydruxo's Avatar
The setting looks terribly dull. Every time I've seen gameplay of this game it's the same old warehouse looking area (and the short outdoors section before it) and that's it.
Traxtech
Junior Member
(04-22-2017, 05:06 AM)
Traxtech's Avatar
Is that motion sickness inducing camera shake gone.. Judging from the videos it is, but I want to be sure. I had to stop lords of the fallen because of this as did a few of my friends.
ArcLyte
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:57 AM)
ArcLyte's Avatar
Bloodborne's gameplay meets the world of Elysium... sign me up
DemWalls
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:00 PM)
DemWalls's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calm Mind

Very impressive! I will have to have a conversation with devs one day.

If they haven't changed the name since the LotF days, it's called Fledge.

If you're interested, you can find more about it online. The devs did a presentation few years ago, at GDC I think.
Theorry
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:07 PM)
Theorry's Avatar

Originally Posted by PFD

It looks cool but it's kinda weird that in the future everyone decided to just go melee

Not this again haha.
Shredderi
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:07 PM)
Shredderi's Avatar
While the scifi environments are welcome, they could have done something more interesting with a more philosophical scifi approach I think. Maybe we'll get that Geiger Souls one day. In the meantime I do like the look of this.
Hedge
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:12 PM)
Hedge's Avatar
So there are no other environments than industrial halls?
Theorry
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:15 PM)
Theorry's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hedge

So there are no other environments than industrial halls?

There is also some outside stuff. But the game takes place in factory setting.

Thread Tools