Now I want to see the "subtle gamer dating profiles" thread
imBask
(04-20-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by johancruijff

Now I want to see the "subtle gamer dating profiles" thread

brawly
(04-20-2017, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by creatchee

I'd rather be upfront about it before either I catch feelings and start to compromise my enjoyment of games to fulfill somebody else's expectations or they actively try to change me.

I would never want to date someone who's clingy and constantly around in the first place, that's why I don't see how telling it right off the bat is of any importance. What I do in my me time is my business.
Danis Saur
Fuck no.

In fact, I keep it a secret during the relationship. If she sees my Xbox inside my room, I'll just be like "oh yeah I use it for Netflix".

. . . .

Unless she's into video games.
kiguel182
When I used them I did. I put them in the same place I put music or movies.

Also, I make games so that also came up in conversation a few times.

Watching wrestling is the bombshell that I have to drop when starting a new relationship lol

EDIT: Nobody can find out how much time I spend on Gaf either.
Last edited by kiguel182; 04-20-2017 at 06:33 PM.
MMarston
Eh, don't see the harm of adding it as part of your hobbies.

I mean, it is you.
shandy706
(04-20-2017, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Mineshaft_Gap

Pic makes no sense since there's no such thing as local multi-player.

Eh, that joke doesn't really work.

My daughters do co-op/split-screen almost every day...in different games.

..on both PC and Xbox One (and could on PS4, but I don't buy their games there..just stuff I want).
SweetJohnnyCage
(04-20-2017, 06:32 PM)
Oh I totally forgot to add that me and my girlfriend destroyed Overcooked in co-op. There were definitely tough moments, but it was really rewarding.
Some Nobody
(04-20-2017, 06:32 PM)

Originally Posted by FinaruDensetsu

If you're looking for a true and long term relationship you absolutely should. If you are just looking for a lay and want to increase your chances as much as possible then don't.

Ding ding ding! This is the correct answer.

Originally Posted by creatchee

If gaming is a big part of your life and you don't put out, you're a lying liar and any match you find on that site will be based on a lie. I mean, if you're playing over two hours a day, it should be at the top of your interests and hobbies. Nobody cares about the whittling you do once every five months - they want to know what their days like would be with you and what things will be competing for your time.

Be honest.

This is accurate too.

Originally Posted by DAREALGUMMY

If people have to compete with something for your time, maybe you shouldn't be in a relationship.

LOL. This is going to apply to a LOT of things. You know how many sports geeks ignore their SO during football season or during NBA Finals (going on right now, btw)? Even if its just that you're dating a workaholic, you're always going to compete with a person's hobbies. How you work through that (or if you do) is one of the things that decides how good your relationship is.

But yeah, I absolutely mention (mention, not write an ode to them) all my hobbies because I'm looking for an SO, not a hook-up. I'm perfectly capable of doing things that don't involve video games, anime, or comic books, going out and being social. I stop geeky shit all the time to do things that make the rest of the world happy. But then sometimes you're at home not doing shit and just marathoning shows on Netflix or Hulu. It'd be good if, when I picked an anime? I didn't get an immediate negative reaction, and it'd be great if I got a positive one.

I don't need an SO to share EVERY hobby, but it's nice to do things together you both love, y'know?

Originally Posted by Shredderi

This. I wouldn't mention it anymore. I only mention gaming to people I already know play videogames as well. I'm fat, perpetually single so saying I play videogames would make it easy to associate me with your garden variety gamergaters. I don't want to risk that being the first impression of me because first impression is everything.

If you're dating someone in the gaming world, they know not everyone (or even most people) are gamergaters. If you date someone outside the gaming world, they don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
AdanVC
(04-20-2017, 06:33 PM)
I don't put gaming on my Tinder profile but back on february I meet a very attractive girl that also didn't had gaming between her likes on her profile and when we matched each other and begin talking, I discovered she was a huge gaming fan. We quickly went to Whatsapp to fully geek out about it. We talked for several days very nicely. She had a PS4, X1 and a ton of games for each of those consoles and she was saving to buy a Switch too because she actually saw the Nintendo presentation on January and was hyped for the console. She send me a pic of her videogame collection, MGS V and FFXV was between her collection! Then I send her a pic of my collection wich is only Nintendo stuff, with all of my amiibo figures and stuff and she actually said "OMFG I'm gonna steal all of your amiibo!" And she then send me another pic of her amiibo collection and Wii games. Pretty much a 10/10 girl. The only downside???? She lived in another city. 8 hours from where I live. It seems that was a huge turn off for her because we never talked again after that :'(
It was honestly a big turn off for me too but I was willing to continue chatting because she was funny and kind too but eh... she stopped answering my messages so I didn't bother her anymore.

:(
Neverforget
I never used dating apps and I have no use for them for the future, however when I used to date I was pretty straight forward.

Gaming is a hobby like any other. If someone find it disgusting or think it makes me a lesser person because I enjoy it, than we both have no business to be together in the first place.

Good job being straightforward about your hobby OP, hope you will meet a ton of new friends and partners who you can share your hobby with.
fernoca
Like OP, Scruff, Tinder, etc...I always mentioned it. Never helped much anyway and don't use any apps any more. Still and always be single. XD
Dr. Black Jack
I'm happily married but wouldn't put it in my profile if I was dating. Too much baggage.
MulderYuffie
Gaming is kind of a big thing for me and luckily for me being into guys (much like OP here and wow didn't even notice Scruff gave you that option hahaha and i've used it tons) they are usually more accepting and eager to participate even but to answer the question yes I have on almost every profile I have. Why hide it? Why not be upfront? Why so ashamed?
thestopsign
(04-20-2017, 06:37 PM)
Most girls assume guys play some amount of video games, I don't think there is any reason to go more in-depth about it unless you have something witty to say. I think on most dating apps it would be the equivalent of mentioning you masterbate frequently, most girls assume you do, but don't want it confirmed.

I just let it come up naturally, like I do almost everything unless it's something obvious from my photos like running or traveling.
jrronimo
(04-20-2017, 06:38 PM)
Last time I was single, I had dating in my profile. This was before Tinder existed, for what it's worth. I've been told I'm reasonably attractive, though maybe a little boring, haha.

I didn't go on a date for 3 years. Could barely even get someone to respond to me.

But as others have said, if the girl isn't cool with it, that's going to be a problem. May as well be up front about it.

...that said, my girlfriend isn't a big gamer, so now I don't play nearly as much as I wish I did. Feels bad, man.
Pinky

Originally Posted by amdb00mer

I love this! This is me and my wife. <3
DAREALGUMMY

Originally Posted by Some Nobody

LOL. This is going to apply to a LOT of things. You know how many sports geeks ignore their SO during football season or during NBA Finals (going on right now, btw)? Even if its just that you're dating a workaholic, you're always going to compete with a person's hobbies. How you work through that (or if you do) is one of the things that decides how good your relationship is.

Sure but a fanatic is a fanatic. There's a difference between watching sports and playing sports. I like watching Football too but that's usually once or twice a week. People mention playing games for hours every day and that's who they are. They don't seem willing to maybe tone it down for another human.
amdb00mer
(04-20-2017, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by casey_contra

So this is interesting. Here is the sense I am getting:

Straight girl mentions gaming: huge plus

Gay dude mentions gaming: relatively neutral (though has been positive for me)

Straight guy mentions gaming: often/occasionally negative

2 Questions: do you agree with this? What about lesbians?

It's sad, but yeah, this seems accurate.
Sectorseven
(04-20-2017, 06:40 PM)
I mean, if it's that important to you, by all means list it prominently. However, it still has a lot of negative connotations particularly with regards to sociability, which is kind of an integral part of dating. Personally, I'd probably list it as a foot note next to other things that could be construed as weird, like anime, wrestling and my dear mother.
Phu
(04-20-2017, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Neverforget

I never used dating apps and I have no use for them for the future, however when I used to date I was pretty straight forward.

Gaming is a hobby like any other. If someone find it disgusting or think it makes me a lesser person because I enjoy it, than we both have no business to be together in the first place.

Good job being straightforward about your hobby OP, hope you will meet a ton of new friends and partners who you can share your hobby with.

This. You can't hide it forever so you might as well be up front about it. People worried about the baggage or getting associated with GG ... mofo you post on gaf, you really up for getting into a relationship with someone who dislikes you by default because they can't believe there's any good ones?
jmizzal
(04-20-2017, 06:42 PM)
I always did, and never once did the girl care if I played games, some didnt play games at all including my GF now.

One girl even asked to come over and play GTAV and Smash Bros lol
bemusedchunk
(04-20-2017, 06:43 PM)
https://www.gamerdating.com/
Xliskin
(04-20-2017, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Bedlam

As a guy looking for girls? No, unfortunately the world is not yet ready for this.

As a girl? Yeah, you'd probably receive even more attention (at least I'm encouraged when I see this).

This is the reality although not gonna hide it or anything
NickWright
"subtle gaming reference in a profile"

"Hey did you choose Kawakami or Futaba? Other options are a scum"
Kyle8497
If I was into that stuff, I would absolutely mention it. It's practically my entire being. Having it listed would eliminate all the women I wouldn't be compatible with, saving me time.
Clockwork5

Originally Posted by JordanKZ

Not a chance.

Despite gaming being a huge part of my life, it's not my entire existence nor do I think it needs advertising. For many suitable guys/girls (depending on your preference) its just a huge turn off.

Then why wouldn't you want them to know it is a huge part of your life.

People hiding huge parts of their lives which they believe will make them less desirable is why I never cared much for online dating sites.
Reishiki
(04-20-2017, 06:47 PM)
I didn't date conventionally, but my gaming tastes and my weebishness were one of the first things I talked about with my SO. We're still happily together over five years later. Our tastes are quite different, but there's overlap here and there. We play Rocket League together occasionally and he's currently watching my playthrough of Nier Automata, which he finds interesting precisely because it's so weird to him.

I don't really try to hide online, almost everyone seems content to assume I'm a dude. Oh well.
zeorhymer
(04-20-2017, 06:48 PM)
I put mine there. It's no different than having NFL or NBA as hobbies. Only thing I put is that I play video games as a hobby. No need to list games or consoles. To the OP, I'd woof you!
FlyinJ
Douchebag. Yes, me.
(04-20-2017, 06:50 PM)
Absolutely not. I wouldn't have before gamergate, and I sure as hell will never even allude to anything that may be even slightly construed as video games now.

Works out very well!
Thorrgal
(04-20-2017, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by hydrophilic attack

that's some low ass standards

Hahaha
Wedzi
(04-20-2017, 06:55 PM)
I don't do dating apps but I prefer girls I'm romantically interested in to never know how much I'm into gaming. It's just something I'd rather keep private for whatever reason
Sou Da
(04-20-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by casey_contra

So this is interesting. Here is the sense I am getting:

Straight girl mentions gaming: huge plus

Gay dude mentions gaming: relatively neutral (though has been positive for me)

Straight guy mentions gaming: often/occasionally negative

2 Questions: do you agree with this? What about lesbians?

Yes and I wouldn't know, respectively.
Northeastmonk
(04-20-2017, 06:56 PM)
Sure, you want someone who can respect your hobby. Otherwise you might as well cancel all your preorders, sell your consoles, and stop looking at gaming websites altogether because gaming is gonna go down on your "weekday/weekend" free time.

Don't say you don't game anymore either because E3 or TGS will roll around or something will get announced and then you're too busy or you'll make your date mad because they didn't think you were into it.

I realize gaming isn't what life is all about, but it sure is better to date/marry someone who can at least respect it.

I think what's important is that you make time for the other person. I've heard divorces where the guy would play games and make their wife take care of the kids. They'd go and play a game instead of spending time with their spouse.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's just as respectable as other hobbies (e.g.: camping, hunting, horseback riding, etc). You have to be honest if you want to continue being a gamer in a relationship. Otherwise you'll start lots of fights and probably end up hurting their feelings/breaking up because an amazing game was released.

I was honest but my wife was upset in how many games/consoles I brought with my when I moved. She didn't know what we'd do with all my stuff. I am not selling my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga to make extra room on the fireplace.

I met my wife on Plenty of Fish and I had Video games in there.
Barrylocke
(04-20-2017, 06:57 PM)
My current active profile doesn't mention video gaming on it, but it has before. I actually do have a boardgaming semi-mention ("Tell me if you know what a meeple is"), since that's been the hobby I've grown the most enthusiastic with over the past year. Only 3 or 4 responses to that after over half a year, only 1 of which didn't look like an answer that was googled off the spot.

If it matters, I'm gay. Videogames being mentioned in profiles seems a little more common here.
ChrisD
(04-20-2017, 06:57 PM)
Don't use any apps, but if I did, I would probably put the same phrase I have on my Twitter bio: Gaming Enthusiast. It doesn't sound as baggage-filled as Gamer. It just seems more natural to me, people who watch Sports don't say they're a "Footballer". They're fans, or enthusiasts. Or maybe that's just a weird way of looking at things?

It's basically mandatory for me to put it, though. I own every console and handheld released in the last twelve years sans the Xbox One. So even if I was one to hide things on profiles, it wouldn't make sense because it'd all go out the window the first time they ever saw my place.
Waji
(04-20-2017, 06:58 PM)
It's tricky.

You shouldn't hide it but you can still meet great people who are less into it or not so much.
That's why I think it's important to mention what you like, maybe with a sentence to express it in a more comprehensible way.
(My example would be : I play story focused games and take advantage of it to also learn languages)

But going with game names, platforms and stuff like that gives too much importance on it and can worry someone who probably would be ok with you but feel too far away from what you're describing.
The details come in the discussion later, so each people has time to see how different the person is to what they perceived from the profile.

In a way, dating (if you want something solid) is kinda the same as a job interview.
Both sides better know each other and like how they are and work, so both are equally happy.. The difference being you're both the employee and the company.
That terrible comparison is just for fun by the way.

Worked for me, but we're all different so...
Last edited by Waji; 04-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Peltz
(04-20-2017, 06:58 PM)
My main photo for a while was a picture of me with a power glove at PAX East. It got me a few thousand matches.

But I didn't make it like a "thing" nor did I talk about it in my description.
CannonFodder52
(04-20-2017, 07:00 PM)
No, but I always feel guilty for feeling I should avoid talking about this hobby.
boiled goose
good with gravy
(04-20-2017, 07:00 PM)
If I were a gay man or a woman, I would.

As a straight man, definitely not. Stigma too strong.

I'll talk about games after I meet in person.
Max Knight
(04-20-2017, 07:01 PM)
If gaming were enough of a turn-off for someone to completely eliminate my profile based on that one thing, then they are definitely not someone I would want to be with in a romantic capacity.

Video games are my main hobby that I partake in pretty much every day. There's no way a relationship with me would work unless it was with someone who is legitimately all right with that.
Budi
(04-20-2017, 07:02 PM)
I don't use any dating sites or apps. But if I would, I would put in my hobbies/interests in there. And gaming is a huge part of that. I wouldn't go as far as stating my favorite games or genres though, that is for you to find out ;)
family_guy
Let's be realistic. If you have great photos and are good looking, you'll be fine. If you're a man and are short, you'll probably be filtered out before anyone reads your profile anyway.
Tali'Zorah
No. I play video games alone and so I don't really see it as a relevant interest in terms of finding someone to date. If the person I'm talking to then asks me my hobbies I'll mention it and if they also like games, great. If not, no big deal.
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(04-20-2017, 07:03 PM)
I did and even if my GF doesn't game she choose me. It was on Tinder though. :)

It would've felt hypocritical to not say it and then when I show my place to the girl I'd be like ''Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot to mention that I love gaming and have over 500 of those here, oops!''
tilomite!
I don't mention it on my profile, but I mention it on the first date.
Linkyn
There'd be no point hiding it. Anybody who enters my home can easily identify me as a gamer. That aside, video games are a big part of who I am as a person, and any potential partner would have to be able to accept that. Might as well filter right away rather than be disappointed later.
Afro
(04-20-2017, 07:04 PM)
I have them play The Witness and if they can't get out of the first area I show them the door.
jeremy1456
(04-20-2017, 07:05 PM)
I did when I had one. I mentioned that I enjoy videos games, but didn't list them. listing the games you like to play seems a bit off putting.
Peltz
(04-20-2017, 07:05 PM)

Originally Posted by family_guy

Let's be realistic. If you have great photos and are good looking, you'll be fine. If you're a man and are short, you'll probably be filtered out before anyone reads your profile anyway.

That's a pretty safe assumption.