• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

nubbe
(04-20-2017, 10:45 PM)

Originally Posted by azyless

Can't believe one killed cop single handedly ended the EU.

took one man to ignite WW1
Tagyhag
(04-20-2017, 10:46 PM)
Even if ISIS didn't do it, with the election so close, they're going to claim every single attack. ISIS HAVE to get Le Pen elected.
Last edited by Tagyhag; 04-20-2017 at 10:49 PM.
N7.Angel

Originally Posted by nubbe

Pretty much.

Originally Posted by Tagyhag

Even if ISIS didn't do it, with the election so close, they're going to claim every single attack. They HAVE to get Le Pen elected.

Nah, Fuck her.
Frankfurter

It actually took an awful lot more than that. Say half a dozen+ countries willing to go to war with each other, for a start.
Tagyhag
(04-20-2017, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by N7.Angel

Pretty much.
Nah, Fuck her.

Sorry I meant ISIS has to have Pen elected.
monome
(04-20-2017, 10:50 PM)

Originally Posted by DieNgamers

Wow, awesome that she didn't get hurt! Did she say what exactly happened?

Originally Posted by N7.Angel

Hope she's ok.

She just arrived.
Policemen were in stand-by mode and she had just passed them.
She Heard gunfire and entered the fisrst shop and the staff helped people hide.

Again.
The police acted awesomly.
They have my ...i don't what but it's good what I want to give them
fuck the crazies.
Last edited by monome; 04-20-2017 at 10:53 PM.
nubbe
(04-20-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Frankfurter

It actually took an awful lot more than that. Say half a dozen+ countries willing to go to war with each other, for a start.

countries are willing to leave the EU and one of the largest members are in the process of leaving, if you haven't noticed.
N7.Angel
(04-20-2017, 10:54 PM)

Originally Posted by monome

She just arrived.
Policemen were in stand-by mode and she had just passed them.
She Heard gunfire and entered the fisrst shop and the staff helped people hide.

Again.
The police acted awesomly.
They have my ...i don't what but it's good what I want to give them
fuck the crazies.

Hope she'll have a long, joyful life then.
EGM1966
(04-20-2017, 10:57 PM)

And quite a bit of specific additional context.
Wrestlemania
(04-20-2017, 10:57 PM)

countries are willing to leave the EU and one of the largest members are in the process of leaving, if you haven't noticed.

Which countries are willing to leave, and how much has that desire shrunk since everyone has seen how much of a shitshow Brexit is looking to be?
Vilix
I think Bayonetta and Samus are more iconic than Lara Croft.
(04-20-2017, 11:05 PM)
So sad. Prayers for the victims and their families.
fr0st
(04-20-2017, 11:06 PM)

Not comparable imo
Ac30
(04-20-2017, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Wrestlemania

Which countries are willing to leave, and how much has that desire shrunk since everyone has seen how much of a shitshow Brexit is looking to be?

Well there's currently two of the four main candidates in France that would be willing/aiming to quit it.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(04-20-2017, 11:08 PM)

Yeah, I need to see the receipts. Just because the racist idiots in one country decided to destroy their own country's prosperity and future doesn't mean other countries' people are that stupid.
FireBeaver
(04-20-2017, 11:09 PM)
Expect to see this reflected in the election. I'm predicting Le Pen is going to see a jump in the polls quite soon.
johancruijff
(04-20-2017, 11:10 PM)
Motherfuckers...
Bobnob
(04-20-2017, 11:15 PM)
Hate this shit
azyless
(04-20-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by FireBeaver

Expect to see this reflected in the election. I'm predicting Le Pen is going to see a jump in the polls quite soon.

People who didn't want to vote Le Pen after Nice and Paris are not going to change their mind 3 days before the election because one cop got murdered.
FDC1
(04-20-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by FireBeaver

That will barely move the needle. People said that so many times this last years that Le Pen should be at 80% by now if it was true.
Alx
(04-20-2017, 11:22 PM)
What is unfortunate is that in this case they were close to preventing it, since apparently the guy had been arrested a few days ago because of intelligence saying he was looking for weapons to kill policemen (just heard it on French TV news). But apparently they couldn't find any reason to keep him (no proof, no terrorist profile).
le-seb
(04-20-2017, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Ac30

Well there's currently two of the four main candidates in France that would be willing/aiming to quit it.

Unless Macron doesn't pass the first round, it's very unlikely for them to get elected, though.
TTOOLL
(04-20-2017, 11:30 PM)
It's a shame that people are more worried about this helping Le Pen than they are with the attack itself, the victims and this series of terrorist attacks that are the real deal, people. Let's face it.

Edit: guess what, real life events impact life and elections, there's no way to prevent it.
chromatic9
(04-20-2017, 11:31 PM)
French police actually foiled an election attack plot a few days ago, not much was made about it but it could've been devastating.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39627688

They found explosives and guns at a flat in Marseille

Three of the leading candidates in the presidential election - Emmanuel Macron, Marine Le Pen and François Fillon - were warned last week of security risks linked to the two men, party officials said

He said they had made three kilograms of the highly volatile explosive TATP, with one batch ready for use.

The two men met in prison and said to have radicalised there.

Jailing them is not the answer either as its a breeding ground or further inspiring more vengeance once released and if a so called right wing policy or government is going to tip more people to IS to kill for them then it doesn't really say much for those people and really highlights a problem with the texts of the Quran and some of the people teaching it. It's always going to be a gamble how one follows it.
Last edited by chromatic9; 04-20-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Ac30
(04-20-2017, 11:31 PM)

Originally Posted by le-seb

Unless Macron doesn't pass the first round, it's very unlikely for them to get elected, though.

I know but every time I read this I get flashbacks to Brexit and Nov 8.
Hollywood Duo
(04-20-2017, 11:37 PM)

Everything I've seen shows renewed commitment to the union based on the shitshow in the U.K. and here in the US. You conveniently don't mention how it was already rejected in Holland.
Dr.Acula
(04-20-2017, 11:37 PM)

Brexit isn't a shitshow if the EU collapses entirety.
sazzy
pronounced "sassy"
(04-20-2017, 11:38 PM)
France really needs to step up their security game. This is happening all too often.
Dan27
(04-20-2017, 11:39 PM)
Reuters have retracted their story of a second Policeman passing away - currently two remain in critical care.
Alx
(04-20-2017, 11:40 PM)

Originally Posted by sazzy

France really needs to step up their security game. This is happening all too often.

The security is already at its maximum. And as a matter of fact, the latest attacks have targeted specifically the police/military patrols.
Ac30
(04-20-2017, 11:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

Everything I've seen shows renewed commitment to the union based on the shitshow in the U.K. and here in the US. You conveniently don't mention how it was already rejected in Holland.

The Netherlands is a multiparty system with no president, in which only the PVV are particularly euroskeptic (and will never be in a coalition). Both LePen and Melenchon are set on leaving the EU, and are far more capable of doing so.

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

It's a shame that people are more worried about this helping Le Pen than they are with the attack itself, the victims and this series of terrorist attacks that are the real deal, people. Let's face it.

Edit: guess what, real life events impact life and elections, there's no way to prevent it.

LePen's shitty rhetoric will only embolden them.
sazzy
pronounced "sassy"
(04-20-2017, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Alx

The security is already at its maximum. And as a matter of fact, the latest attacks have targeted specifically the police/military patrols.

Clearly it's not enough.
KingSnake
The Birthday Skeleton
(04-20-2017, 11:43 PM)
RIP to the policeman.

Fuck ISIS, they intentionally try to stir shit before the elections there.
Systolique
(04-20-2017, 11:44 PM)

Clearly it's not enough.

French intelligence is preventing countless attacks on our soil, but maybe an edgy GAF poster such as yourself is what we needed, please do step up
Lil'DigiOp
(04-20-2017, 11:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Spaced Harrier

The attempts to be undermine western democracies are so fucking clear and obvious.

Its kinda beautiful actually....

Next level warfare by influencing trade and economy. We are absolutely washed right now, America as a concept has been completely undermined.

My condolences the lives lost, so many lives lost to a sick persons scheme.
orioto
Good Art™
(04-20-2017, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by azyless

People who didn't want to vote Le Pen after Nice and Paris are not going to change their mind 3 days before the election because one cop got murdered.

This, i hope at least
wandering
(04-20-2017, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Lil'DigiOp

Its kinda beautiful actually....

Easy there Brian Williams.
Alx
(04-20-2017, 11:47 PM)

Clearly it's not enough.

Why would we put more armed forces on the street when they're the ones getting targeted ? Terrorist attacks policemen, gets killed, end of the story. More policemen would just mean more targets.
What should be improved is prevention, although like I mentioned earlier, there was some intelligence that identified the perpetrator as suspicious, so that works too. But when there's no proof, there's not much you can do until it's too late.
Downhome
(04-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
Ugh, so awful.

I wonder how long it will be until folks here, and other places, realize that Le Pen's election is a foregone conclusion at this point.
azyless
(04-20-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Downhome

Ugh, so awful.

I wonder how long it will be until folks here, and other places, realize that Le Pen's election is a foregone conclusion at this point.

It's the opposite of that but you can keep dreaming.
Ac30
(04-20-2017, 11:51 PM)

Ugh, so awful.

Yes, the woman set to lose the second round to every other candidate, and is currently trailing Macron by 2-4% in the first round.
Systolique
(04-20-2017, 11:53 PM)

Ugh, so awful.

I wonder how long it will be until people here that have no idea what's going on in french elections will stop saying Le Pen is going to be elected when polls and opinions clearly suggest no clear winner and absolutely no chance for her to pass second round, if she even passes the first one.
Xando
(04-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
So this guy was from Belgium?

Originally Posted by Systolique

I wonder how long it will be until people here that have no idea what's going on in french elections will stop saying Le Pen is going to be elected when polls and opinions clearly suggest no clear winner and absolutely no chance for her to pass second round, if she even passes the first one.

English media almost exclusively focuses on her for whatever reason.

Totally ignoring that she might not even win the first round according to polls which is something i wouldn't have thought 2 months ago.
Last edited by Xando; 04-21-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Zautruche
(04-20-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

And what we should do ? Cower in fear ? It's like people forget why we call them terror attack.
Every year ~60k people die in a car crash, ~160K from cancer. We still manage to live our lifes. Being in a state of constant fear does nothing but strengthen them.
Systolique
(04-20-2017, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Xando

They haven't revealed his identity yet because of ongoing investigations
Hollywood Duo
(04-21-2017, 12:01 AM)

The Netherlands is a multiparty system with no president, in which only the PVV are particularly euroskeptic (and will never be in a coalition). Both LePen and Melenchon are set on leaving the EU, and are far more capable of doing so

It doesn't change the fact that the latest momentum shift is pro-EU.
azyless
(04-21-2017, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Xando

They haven't revealed his identity yet but it seems like he lived in France since I heard about police searching his home.
AnotherDayAnotherDollar
(04-21-2017, 12:10 AM)

Even if ISIS didn't do it, with the election so close, they're going to claim every single attack. ISIS HAVE to get Le Pen elected.

I would think ISIS wouldn't want LePen elected.
TTOOLL
(04-21-2017, 12:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Zautruche

And what we should do ? Cower in fear ? It's like people forget why we call them terror attack.
Every year ~60k people die in a car crash, ~160K from cancer. We still manage to live our lifes. Being in a state of constant fear does nothing but strengthen them.

I'm not going deeper in this subject since I could be banned. This thread and the one about Fresno having so few replies only show that people here have accepted some terrible reality or are not willing to talk about it because reasons. The threads just sink and people move on.

And please, do not compare car crashes and cancer to terrorist attacks made by a very specific group.

wow, really? Makes no sense at all.
BetterWorldz
(04-21-2017, 12:16 AM)

Originally Posted by AnotherDayAnotherDollar

They want nothing more than all Arabs to feel the entire western world is against them so they can get as many recruits as they can. So yes, you bet your ass they do.
Ac30
(04-21-2017, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

It doesn't change the fact that the latest momentum shift is pro-EU.

Compared with spring 2016, more respondents now have a positive image of the EU in 15 Member States, with the most significant increases in Romania (50%, +8 percentage points, following the 15-point decrease seen between autumn 2015 and spring 2016) and Germany (37%, +8). The positive image has remained unchanged in four countries, and has lost ground in nine, most strikingly in France (29%, -7).

In fact, the French have an overall negative view of the EU, 29% positive, 31% negative as of Nov. 2016.

. At the other end of
the scale, at least 50% of respondents are pessimistic for the future of the EU in Greece (68%),
France (56%), Cyprus (56%), the United Kingdom (51%) and Italy (50%).

http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/.../surveyKy/2137

Originally Posted by AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Why not? Free radicals.
Last edited by Ac30; 04-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.