• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Drewton
(04-20-2017, 08:51 PM)

In 2013, I wasn’t hyped at all for BioShock Infinite. I hadn’t played the original BioShock. I hadn’t watched the trailers for Infinite. I had no expectations. I bought it because it was the newest in the series and I thought the thing on the cover of the first game with the drill weapon looked cool.

Then I began the game and it captured the feeling I had playing the opening of my then-favorite shooter, Half-Life 2. The world building, the setting were fantastic. An American state that separated itself and is stuck in 1912, that honored the Founding Fathers like religious figures. I even enjoyed the gameplay/shooting. Elizabeth became one of my favorite characters in video game stories, the ending blew me away as I had no idea BioShock would have anything to do with multiple universes. Also, Commstock being Booker. That was maybe the best twist in games since Revan, even if Booker should have been able to recognize himself.

It seems like the game has received a lot of backlash, four years later I wondered if I would still like it. Some of my favorite games of the past gen have aged quite badly over the years, Assassin’s Creed II is one of them. Having only played the PS3 version, the PS4 version is beautiful. The look is smooth fitting the aesthetic and gameplay is smoother.

The setting and politics behind it seems more relevant than in 2013, with an America that seeks to stay in the past, where racism is celebrated, analyzing the propoganda of the use of religion to get the public support, the idolization of historical figures leading to dangerous nationalism. I’m paraphrasing, but a character says, “Commstock is for faith, family, country. What could be bad about that?” This really feels like the ideal America for some of the most radical of the “Make America Great Again” Trump supporters.

The art style is top class. Columbia, Elizabeth, Songbird, all iconic. Voice acting is great. The shooting is old school but I like it. The use of music is perfect. Everything feels ambitious. I know there were many disappointed with this game after all the hype, but I never had any expectations. It does drag a little towards to the end.

The Last Of Us may be technically the better game of 2013, with better gameplay, graphics, for its cutscenes, but Infinite is far more unique. First playing Last Of Us it was already been there done with zombies, as much as I love that game, and the story and setting of Infinite are far more interesting to me. If the game had released in 2012 it would have definitely been the Game of the Year. Or even 2014.

I’m also going back to this after four years later and still not having played BioShock, BioShock 2, or Return to Rapture. I know I need to play the first, I tried it before on PS3 and I know I should be playing it before Infinite. But Rapture just doesn’t interest me compared to Columbia. I’m probably unlike a lot of other people here in playing Infinite before the first, and that probably makes a big difference in how I perceive them. If BioShock has political themes too, I’m interested. I'm not American, but I love stories that give some interesting insight into the flaws of America, usually Rockstar's like L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption.

So four years later and I still love this game, it ranks up there with Half-Life 2. It’s worth the cost of the Collection alone for me. But I think I do need some convincing to get into the Rapture games.
Last edited by Drewton; 04-20-2017 at 09:07 PM.
SpaceWolf
(04-20-2017, 08:53 PM)
For me, this game was a textbook example of why a convoluted story didn't automatically equal a good story.
LordOfChaos
(04-20-2017, 08:55 PM)
I loved it the first time, but stopped on a second playthrough, because I remembered a lot of it was standing in a room while waves of enemies came and the middle parts had me going "am I having fun?"

Still, it has a special place in my heart for the art, music, voice acting, and fantastic ending. Burial at Sea episode 2 was also amazing. Preferred the stealth in BaS to the gun everything in the main plot.
Nielm
Honestly, I think the hate for it is overblown. Sure, it's not as good as BioShock, but not many games are.

The world in it is great, so is the atmosphere. Elizabeth is a good companion. The game has good characters. The story is interesting and I think the combat is pretty good - it feels nicely responsive. The ending is great, and memorable. The art direction/soundtrack are top notch. I had a lot of fun playing it, and the DLC 'Burial At Sea' is fantastic.
Last edited by Nielm; 04-20-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Mandius
A boring mess.
Greatest Ever
(04-20-2017, 08:57 PM)
One of the worst AAA experiences I've ever played, if not the worst. A mess in nearly every facet.
LegendofLex
This is reminding me of that time I said I'd break down why the story and symbolism isn't as random and pointless as lots of people seem to think it is.

I should do that sometime...
meanspartan
The metacritic was in the 90s. I tend to agree with that consensus, not the backlash. Fantastic game, with several unforgettable moments.
LordOfChaos
(04-20-2017, 08:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Nielm

Honestly, I think the hate for it is overblown.

Originally Posted by Greatest Ever

One of the worst AAA experiences I've ever played, if not the worst. A mess in nearly every facet.

Kevtones

Originally Posted by Mandius

A boring mess.

Agreed. It's overproduced and the story is garbage.
pa22word
It's a really beautiful game, and one of the very few games I've actually purchased an art book for.

That's about the grand sum of my positive feelings for the game, though.
DOWN
Loved the setting and Elizabeth, loved the tones and art, found the story and villains forgettable. Also the combat felt like monotonously fighting toy soldiers compared to the more thrilling and atmosphere boosting Rapture enemies.

Critical consensus was right that it's a very good game in the end.
BlizzKrut
(04-20-2017, 09:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Nielm

Honestly, I think the hate for it is overblown. Sure, it's not as good as BioShock, but not many games are.

The world in it is great, so is the atmosphere. Elizabeth is a good companion. The game has good characters. The story is interesting and I think the combat is pretty good - it feels nicely responsive. The ending is great, and memorable. The art direction/soundtrack are top notch. I had a lot of fun playing it, and the DLC 'Burial At Sea' is fantastic.

Most of the hate for this game is here on Gaf, the game is generally liked, there are reasons why it sold a ton and garnered up lots of positive reviews.

It still remains as one of my favorite games ever, and it has a wonderful DLC to go along with it.
parabolee
(04-20-2017, 09:01 PM)
IMO one of the greatest games of all time. Enjoyed my second playthrough more than my first. Ditto my third. Have bought and played it through on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Also not only do I think that the story is among the best in video games, but it is some of the best gameplay in a FPS I have played. I have sunk 100+ hours into the single player combat arenas! Love it! Also the single player DLC is incredible!!!

Guess I just love FPS with powers/abilities. Because I also think Mass Effect Andromeda's combat is among the best I have ever played. Dishonored 1/2 too.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed Bioshock 1 but thought it was a little overrated.
pete_clarf
(04-20-2017, 09:02 PM)
It's the only Bioshock game I haven't finished. I got about halfway through and just dropped it. The plan now is to revisit it on the new collection, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
McStickenstein
(04-20-2017, 09:03 PM)
I loved it and loved Bioshock 1 as well. Very ambitious story telling, perhaps overly so. The music and historical setting were excellent.
Kevtones
True rankings:

2 > 1 >>>>>>>>> 3
XaosWolf
A massive step down from the first and even a sizable step down from the second.

Gameplay was effectively wave/arena based, all the powers were the same and the ending is one if the dumbest I've ever witnessed despite it trying to be clever.

If it wanted to use the Infinite Worlds theory then the least it could have done is looked up what the word "infinite" actually means.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
As a big Bioshock fan who doesn't necessarily care about the quality of the combat sections, even I couldn't get past how much of a nuisance they were. I loved exploring the world, but having to repeatedly stop to fight a horde of mindless enemies was annoying.
Justinreideddy
I've tried on multiple occasions to get into this game but stop after a couple hours. Just isn't my thing. The setting is pretty cool I guess.
Linkark07
I loved it. Actually played it twice back when it was released. The atmosphere was great, the gameplay felt great and the I liked jumping on those rails while shooting. And of course, Elizabeth is a great companion.
Bizzquik
(04-20-2017, 09:04 PM)
Fantastic atmosphere, visually spectacular, a bold endeavor to discuss race & fairness issues, a thought-provoking examination of corruptible power....centered around a mess of a narrative with bland combat.

The demos and pre-release videos show utterly different experiences than the final product, but I still love the game wholeheartedly; the first 90 minutes in particular is amazing.
Dabi
(04-20-2017, 09:06 PM)
It's a great game that, in my opinion, will always be overshadowed by the first.
FTF
(04-20-2017, 09:06 PM)
Loved the game when I played it years ago and look forward to playing it again soon with the hd remaster when I tackle my backlog.

Originally Posted by Greatest Ever

Some max level hyperbole right here.
rottendevice
(04-20-2017, 09:08 PM)
I forget more than I remember but I thought the thing about Elizabeth's pinky getting cut off was brilliant.
Bendo
(04-20-2017, 09:09 PM)
It was a great ride the first time around, but a few years removed most things about it strike me as shallow. I mean I don't hate it, but it's an insignificant game, particularly in terms of gameplay, but also the story.
bosseye
(04-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
Bad game, nothing like as clever as it thinks it is. None of the fiction really worked for me; it seemed to be an ultra conservative religious society, yet they're giving away 'vigours' in funfairs that make people kill themselves and other nonsense.

I also didn't find Colombia especially compelling or convincing as a place either. I was very disappointed after loving Bioshock 1 and 2.
UCBooties
(04-20-2017, 09:12 PM)
The art design is fantastic and the skyhook sequences are exhilarating. Elizabeth is a decently done companion character who is elevated by some great writing and an appealing character model. The game starts strong and keeps going fairly well up until the first portal jump. Unfortunately that's where things start to go off the rails.

The game is full of a bunch of half-baked ideas. Vigors are in the game because they are a replacement for plasmids in the original game. But where plasmids made sense in the world and theme of the original BioShock, Vigors feel out of place in the setting of Columbia. They offer little in the way of shaking up combat encounters and don't contribute meaningfully to the world building.

Encounter design was also weak. Where the original BioShock encouraged you to juggle multiple enemy types and set traps, use the environment, and be smart about how and when you engage, BioShock Infinite funnels you through a number of shooting galleries and offers little in the way of exploration or improvisation.

My biggest problem with BioShock Infinite is that it squanders its Big Idea. The game wants to wow you, and trick you into thinking that it is much smarter than it is. But the actual narrative, and the way that the time-line hopping is handled, don't hold up under cursory scrutiny. You find out that you need tools from a shop, but the tools are gone in your timeline. So you jump through to another timeline to where the tools still exist. And then you never jump back. You never return to your own timeline to solve the original problem. You just get swept up in the next round of nonsense. The game takes no care with its central narrative conceit, it simply hopes that you, the player, won't notice.

The depiction of the conflict between Comstock's regime and the Vox is incredibly lazy. The writers realized that they had written themselves into a corner making Daisy too sympathetic, and literally the only way to make her truly a villain in the eyes of the player is to make her murder a child in front of you.

There are bright spots to be sure. The final encounter with, and death of, the Songbird was exhilarating and touching. The voice-work was largely excellent, and I felt that while the reveal that Booker and Comstock were one and the same was executed in about the bluntest and least interesting way possible, I felt that the attempt to rescue Elizabeth from the future timeline was excellent. I also loved the Luttice twins and thought that their commentary about the illusion of choice was about the only thing the game did well in service of its world-building.

Overall the game needed more time to flesh out its story and build out its levels to offer more interesting arenas and more encouragement of player improvisation. A good game, but with too many flaws keeping it from being great.
Hux1ey
(04-20-2017, 09:12 PM)
I loved it. Yes it's linear as fuck but that isn't always a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Drewton

Having only played the PS3 version, the PS4 version is beautiful. The look is smooth fitting the aesthetic and gameplay is smoother.

Shame about the performance though.
Last edited by Hux1ey; 04-20-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Audette
(04-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
After multiple attempts at playing this game I have decided it's not for me. The changes to make it stand out from the first game's gameplay loop really take the fun out of the game for me. I can't really explain why I get these feelings about it, so I had to walk away from the game.

I think I like the first game too much to really give this game a fair chance. I think infinite should be commended for what it does to try and start something new and stand out, I still really hope we get a real Bioshock 3.
Pinko Marx
(04-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
I hate the fact that the game brings up all these criticisms and critiques of American Culture and the idea of American Exceptionalism and all that gets throw to the side for some kooky dimension hopping plot that barely makes sense.
Even when it is talking about subjects such as racism it barely has anything to say except "this is bad stuff, ok?"
The art is gorgeous for sure, the best thing the game has going for it. Yet the only way to interact with all this beautiful scenery is to loot dead bodies or dig into some trash cans. So much wasted potential in my eyes.
Salamando
(04-20-2017, 09:16 PM)

Originally Posted by UCBooties

The art design is fantastic and the skyhook sequences are exhilarating. Elizabeth is a decently done companion character who is elevated by some great writing and an appealing character model. The game starts strong and keeps going fairly well up until the first portal jump. Unfortunately that's where things start to go off the rails.

The game is full of a bunch of half-baked ideas. Vigors are in the game because they are a replacement for plasmids in the original game. But where plasmids made sense in the world and theme of the original BioShock, Vigors feel out of place in the setting of Columbia. They offer little in the way of shaking up combat encounters and don't contribute meaningfully to the world building.

Encounter design was also weak. Where the original BioShock encouraged you to juggle multiple enemy types and set traps, use the environment, and be smart about how and when you engage, BioShock Infinite funnels you through a number of shooting galleries and offers little in the way of exploration or improvisation.

My biggest problem with BioShock Infinite is that it squanders its Big Idea. The game wants to wow you, and trick you into thinking that it is much smarter than it is. But the actual narrative, and the way that the time-line hopping is handled, don't hold up under cursory scrutiny. You find out that you need tools from a shop, but the tools are gone in your timeline. So you jump through to another timeline to where the tools still exist. And then you never jump back. You never return to your own timeline to solve the original problem. You just get swept up in the next round of nonsense. The game takes no care with its central narrative conceit, it simply hopes that you, the player, won't notice.

The depiction of the conflict between Comstock's regime and the Vox is incredibly lazy. The writers realized that they had written themselves into a corner making Daisy too sympathetic, and literally the only way to make her truly a villain in the eyes of the player is to make her murder a child in front of you.

There are bright spots to be sure. The final encounter with, and death of, the Songbird was exhilarating and touching. The voice-work was largely excellent, and I felt that while the reveal that Booker and Comstock were one and the same was executed in about the bluntest and least interesting way possible, I felt that the attempt to rescue Elizabeth from the future timeline was excellent. I also loved the Luttice twins and thought that their commentary about the illusion of choice was about the only thing the game did well in service of its world-building.

Overall the game needed more time to flesh out its story and build out its levels to offer more interesting arenas and more encouragement of player improvisation. A good game, but with too many flaws keeping it from being great.

That part was retconned in the second DLC. The Rapture-Elizabeth has to travel to Columbia for reasons I can't remember. While there, she witnesses a conversation between the Lutece Twins and Daisy, where they instruct her to kill the child. Something about how they needed to harden Elizabeth so she'd be willing to make the necessary choices.
claviertekky
(04-20-2017, 09:16 PM)
If you want a story without all the shooting, you can checkout Life is Strange.
Inuhanyou
Banned
(04-20-2017, 09:17 PM)
One of the worst examples of turning a clever genre bending expose on political mindsets turned reality into convoluted AAA schlock that tries to sound clever without actually saying anything, dumbing itself down for a AAA super linear shooter audience that at this point has aged horribly.
Drewton
(04-20-2017, 09:18 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

This is reminding me of that time I said I'd break down why the story and symbolism isn't as random and pointless as lots of people seem to think it is.

I should do that sometime...

Please!
MKIL65
(04-20-2017, 09:18 PM)
''Here, have baseball. Make sure to throw it at the interracial couple. Cause that's what Americans used to do!''

Wow, what an incredibly immersive game!
Morat
(04-20-2017, 09:20 PM)
Gorgeous to look at, vapid nonsense story and dull repetitive gameplay.
schopaia
(04-20-2017, 09:23 PM)
For me it's the rare game where the main game is diminished by the DLC, which felt unnecessary and hamstrung by using the same leveling system of the main game (the leveling system made sense for a 15 hr game, but not for a 2 hr game).
Capitan
(04-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
I still really like it, but i wish that the harder difficulties had been better designed, 1999 mode was pretty rough. after going through that, i doubt i'll play it through again in the near future. I quite liked the story. though i think like the first 15 minutes of the game are my favorite. Burial at sea had some great atmosphere, but i didn't like the direction they took with the story. as, if i remember right, ryan says,
"it's like watching isaac newton go into a burning building to try and save his cat"
Jawmuncher
(04-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
I always think back to the ghostbusters section and laugh. What a mess of a game when compared to the first and hell even 2. As was said earlier a convoluted story and a twist for the sake of having a twist doesn't equal good.

The gameplay was fine though. I didn't mind the reduction to two weapons and the Sky rail stuff was interesting.
HellforLeather
(04-20-2017, 09:26 PM)
I was blown away the first time playing it but I cant recall another game with such a high level of diminishing returns.

The 2nd playthrough I could barely manage. The ending combat scenario sucks, fighting Handy Men is annoying, and the story feels too obtuse until the end.
BlizzKrut
(04-20-2017, 09:27 PM)

Originally Posted by MKIL65

''Here, have baseball. Make sure to throw it at the interracial couple. Cause that's what Americans used to do!''

Wow, what an incredibly immersive game!

I don't think that's the message that part was trying to deliver to you.
Mister Wolf
(04-20-2017, 09:28 PM)
Wasn't even better than Bioshock 2.
¡HarlequinPanic!
(04-20-2017, 09:28 PM)
I love the art style and the introduction of columbia, but the lady comstock fight might be one of the most frustrating and lame encounters in a game ever. Completely sucks the air out of the room.
mrlion
(04-20-2017, 09:29 PM)
What was RTTP again?
Iced
(04-20-2017, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by mrlion

What was RTTP again?

Rink to the Past.

return to the party
Inuhanyou
Banned
(04-20-2017, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by BlizzKrut

I don't think that's the message that part was trying to deliver to you.

"Racists are BAAAAD!" is not much better.

And then the "both sides are just as bad!" argument booker throws out destroys literally any point to the entire previous segment of the game
Pinko Marx
(04-20-2017, 09:32 PM)
I'm surprised "Wayment! That card!" Hasn't been posted yet. I'll go ahead and do that because it kind of encapsulates how I feel about BS:I… Albeit, in meme form.

https://youtu.be/l_u18_BKczg

The game doesn't seem to trust the player to figure anything out at all. It has to spell almost everything out for you (except a good bit of the story which is hidden behind /audio tapes 😕/).
Last edited by Pinko Marx; 04-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Sohter.Nura
(04-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
Good game, but I think the series peaked at Bioshock 2. The absence of big daddies in the game (as far as I remember, it's been a while) was kinda of a bummer for me.
SoraanTribal
(04-20-2017, 09:37 PM)
It's actually my favorite Bioshock game, and I think it was also my GOTY for 2013. I absolutely loved the story, but then again, I'm a sucker for Sci-fi and parallel universes. I thought the first Bioshock was overrated tbh lol. Great up until the 75% mark - nice twist, then the last 25% of the game kind of...sucked. The ending wasn't that good either so it soured my opinion some.