• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Spyware
(04-21-2017, 12:09 AM)
Actually I regret playing through on normal because of how easy it was. And I didn't even stealth much or anything "cheap" like that. I loved all of the weapons and had the most fun when engaging big herds and swapping weapons left and right. The only thing that ever killed me were (minor enemy spoiler I guess) two corrupted rockbreakers. It was my first ever meeting them and I got completely destroyed, haha!

I don't think you suck tho. Maybe you just haven't stumbled upon the right strategy?
And nothing clicks with everyone. Some just find certain systems harder than others. :)

Originally Posted by Symbiotx

I'm about 30 hours in, and so far the difficulty has been about perfect. Sometimes I get in over my head and get killed, but for the most part, if I plan things out a bit I can clear everything. Not too easy, but not too difficult.

Now if you really want to talk about what was difficult in Horizon, talk to me about managing resources. How the hell does everybody else manage this without having anxiety? I never know if I should hang on to stuff in case I meet a vendor that wants it, or if I should be selling certain useless things (I figured out to sell the ones that are only for shards of course)?

I've upgraded my carrying capacity to the max (100), and it's not enough. I wish there was a stash or something.

I sold everything not needed for ammo (kept different amount of stacks depending on what I used most). If I needed a machine part for trading I just went and got a new one. You can also buy parts.
forrest
formerly nacire
(04-21-2017, 12:19 AM)
I'm quite close to the end on very hard. It's my only play through so I can't speak for the other difficulties, but I will say there has been a few moments that were tough. Once you learn each creatures' weaknesses they kind of become pushovers.
Last edited by forrest; 04-21-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Kremzeek
(04-21-2017, 12:26 AM)
well i did like the "oh shit" feeling of being underpowered and under geared at the beginning hours of the game. it did a good job of making the dinobots feel intimidating.

i liked the curve of feeling weak at the start, and then really strong at the end of the game when you get good armor & mods.
jb1234
(04-21-2017, 12:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Plasma

It's tough at first but once you start getting the skill upgrades it gets a lot easier by the end of the game I could just knock down pretty much anything with the spear heavy attack and then get it while it was on the ground.

Yeah, once I figured this out, the game became a lot easier. On Normal, at least.
JHoNNy1OoO
(04-21-2017, 12:27 AM)
I died early on because I was just going straight up to them. Once I realized that stealth was the equalizer it became an easy game. Stay in those bushes and stealth strike them bitches. For non-stealth encounters it was about the trip wires and focusing on their weakness and of course fire arrows.

Loved the hell out of the combat. Fun, fun, fun.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(04-21-2017, 12:31 AM)
Well, don't go "Oh look, some Snapmaws. Why don't I hack and slash them?" because it's guaranteed to get you killed.

But if you go "Oh, let's put a tripwire here and there. How about some bombs over there? Okay, let's lure them there", you should be okay....I think.
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
(04-21-2017, 12:34 AM)
Game became way easy with the tear, fire and corrupt arrows. If you have good tear/fire/corruption mod coils you can tear anything down to shreds. Never used the tripwires, element bombs or anything of that sort.
aquamala
(04-21-2017, 12:35 AM)
it's not a hard game at all, you probably are playing it wrong, at first I played I used melee combat too much
kingsamj
(04-21-2017, 12:43 AM)
I played on hard and died a decent number of times but never felt it was very hard. Deaths at the very least were never frustrating. The game allows a lot of tactical experimentation and so I could die a lot more in Horizon than in other games before my frustration started to rise. Trying something new in a fight and dying is much less irritating than getting owned in the same firefight 20 times in a row in other games.

If you're ever really stuck on a fight, it's usually pretty easy to grab a ravager cannon and cart it over to the fight and then dominate. There was a sidequest where you had to fight a rockbreaker inside a mine, and I just happened to have a ravager cannon with me at the time and I crushed the rockbreaker without a sweat.
David___
(04-21-2017, 12:47 AM)
Enemies are a lot more aggressive then one might think considering the type of game it is, so I wouldnt feel too bad about it. Also the fact that you cant over level keeps the challenge constant
Lord of Ostia
(04-21-2017, 12:53 AM)
Enemies can do a lot of damage but you can also dodge roll like crazy so it's not really that difficult. Especially once you figure out the right way to dispatch each type of machines. It's still satisfying though.
Crayon
(04-21-2017, 01:07 AM)
Playing on hard: It fealt challenging at first, but became too easy. The focus giving away the patrols routes and seeing thru walls, plus unlocking abilities that allow me to slow down time pretty much anywhere plus the arrows being incredibly accurate all contribute.
Goose_Se7en
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:08 AM)
I don't wanna say that it was easy, because some fights, especially early on I'd get wiped out quick. But since I played the game very meticulously, and got XP and leveled up very quickly I didn't have much of a problem with the RoboDinos.

In fact the game reminded me of Dead Space in way, especially the first game when playing the game solely using the plasma cutter. Shoot the right limbs off and the necromorphs went down relatively quickly.

Horizon was the same, you'd shoot the dinos at their exact weak points with particular arrows and they'd go down. I played it very surgeon like, methodically and systematically taking down my enemies.

Taking down stalkers by taking away their ability to camouflage by shooting their midsection, using tearablast arrows on shell walkers. Fuck Horizon is such a good game.
Mimosa97
(04-21-2017, 01:10 AM)

Originally Posted by kvothe

Damn, bro. You should sign up for MLG.

Edgy ...

That's why I said that I usually play my games in normal mode. Horizon being the exception.
blankslatenator
(04-21-2017, 01:10 AM)
Takes me zero effort to play it

Edit: I don't have the game to play.
xenorevlis
(04-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
After my initial play through I started over on Very Hard. It can definitely be difficult when you are underpowered and have little or no knowledge about how a specific machine performs in combat. For instance, some people here claim the rockbreaker is difficult but I discovered early on that you can blow the canisters on their lower back really quickly and kill a rockbreaker in about 30 seconds (sometimes less!). It's about how you approach enemies, and what kind of play style you enjoy.

I made this combat video showing some of the different tactics I tried out, as well as how fierce some of the enemies can be. Maybe it'll give you some ideas if you feel like jumping back in a second time, or when the DLC hits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFyUsRC_ik
The Exploder
(04-21-2017, 01:20 AM)
I thought it was pretty easy, and I played on hard. I went after all of the stealth upgrades first, and then wore a stealth suit for most of the game. I mostly just used the bows for combat.
FaintDeftone
(04-21-2017, 01:21 AM)
The game is very difficult if you don't utilize all of the tools to your disposal. If you run in expecting to click the right stick and aim at the glowy bits with nothing but default arrows then you'll struggle.
Doge
(04-21-2017, 01:22 AM)
You just suck. Game is mad easy with its broken stealth mechanics. It's hardest mode just disables AA. You don't need AA when you can sneak and critical your way to victory!
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(04-21-2017, 01:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Imp the Dimp

Combat is fun but try Dragon's Dogma maybe? I definitely found the combat a bit more engaging there.

Maybe if DD eliminated the jank, but as it stands, it's not on the same level as Horizon. Polish matters.
UpDownLeftRight
(04-21-2017, 01:28 AM)
It's hard until you have the upgrades and know what their weaknesses and weak elements are. If there's one thing I hope they change for the sequel, it would be having a selection of various parts and weapons that can be fitted to the dino types and having them randomized.

It lost some of its magic when you no longer needed to stalk your prey for a weakness first.
Gorillaz
sober as a drunk judge
(04-21-2017, 01:32 AM)
I died some careless deaths because I got maxed in some fights. That's one of the things I love about it. No matter the difficulty level you can still get got.
Goose_Se7en
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:33 AM)
Thought I'd share this video with ya'll. Ran across a kamikaze Snapmaw.

https://youtu.be/B6MOVQyNdq8
Sword Of Doom
(04-21-2017, 01:33 AM)
Played on hard and the first half of the game was good and difficult to the point where coming across a thunderjaw for the first time was pretty intense. Then it gets way too easy imo
HardRojo
(04-21-2017, 01:36 AM)
I just started the game a couple of days ago. So far so good, a few close calls but nothing too bad. Loving the combat against the Machines, can't wait till I get more weapons and face bigger threats.
Aztechnology
(04-21-2017, 01:37 AM)
I wouldn't say it's hard. It just requires more from the player than most games. It treats you as though you are capable instead of severe handholdng and allowing you to stick to one strategy all the time. You really need to use your tools effectively on the hard difficulty. Once you do it isn't hard, it feels good.
LurkingFear
(04-21-2017, 01:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Rain City Gamer

I played on Very Hard and loved the difficulty. The Machines hit hard, even the Watchers. It really adds to just how dangerous the world is at all times. It's a perfect balance of feeling like an unstoppable badass one moment, while getting humbled the next.

Hear hear!

We are in the same boat. There were a few times that I was getting wrecked and frustrated (ie: Stalkers and acrobatic ninja Snapmaws), but the Very Hard difficulty added to the sense of danger, but it wasnt punishingly difficult.

The tightness of the game mechanics and combat were a godsend.
ironmang
(04-21-2017, 01:39 AM)
Before I got the overpowered secret armor I was starting to get rekt when clearing up some of the later corrupted zones. Even when I was mid 40s in level against ~30-35 zones. Wasn't too hard to become frustrating but wasn't a cakewalk either like usually happens when cleaning up parts of open world games.
texasairhead101
(04-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
I had to play on easy. The stealth and weapon synergy just wasn't clicking for me. I was just jumping in the air constantly to slow down time and head-shotting people and enemy weak spots.
PuppetMaster
(04-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
Wish the whole game was harder. But all the difficulty is skewed to early in the game.

Would love an additional hardcore difficulty mode with trophy in the DLC.

Also some armor in particular is so OP it basically breaks the game.
Zvonimir Boban
(04-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
It's not too bad as long provided you remember that melee combat is fucking awful. If you get in close and try hacking away with your spear then you'll get into trouble really quickly.

If you keep your distance and make good use of the tripcaster/ropecaster/blast slings there's nothing in the game that isn't fairly straightforward.
kunonabi
(04-21-2017, 01:44 AM)
It's a pretty easy game so it's probably you.
krae_man
(04-21-2017, 01:46 AM)
Did you not do stealth?

The whistle breaks the fuck out of the game.
sn00zer
(04-21-2017, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by PuppetMaster

Wish the whole game was harder. But all the difficulty is skewed to early in the game.

Would love an additional hardcore difficulty mode with trophy in the DLC.

Also some armor in particular is so OP it basically breaks the game.

This is a problem with most ARPGS where it's usually much harder in the beginning.

Also dunno why people keep mentioning the power armor cuz there is no way you can pick that up on a normal playthrough without looking stuff up.

I've learned to avoid clearly overpowered skills and weapons when playing apps or games with skill trees. It helps keep the difficulty consistent.
The Dude
(04-21-2017, 01:53 AM)
I enjoy the game but my biggest gripe is how every damn enemy comes from miles around it seems when you're fighting, just didn't like that but overall wasn't super hard but definitely harder than average game
Dreadnought
(04-21-2017, 01:55 AM)
I had to change the difficulty to the lowest setting after the first hour. The bigger machines are absolutely impossible on anything but easy
Goose_Se7en
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:58 AM)

Originally Posted by The Dude

I enjoy the game but my biggest gripe is how every damn enemy comes from miles around it seems when you're fighting, just didn't like that but overall wasn't super hard but definitely harder than average game

Lol I kinda liked that. I once was facing off against some shell walkers and then had to fend off against scrappers and then glinthawks because they were near and were attracted to the "carcasses" of the scrappers I had killed prior.

I think it would be cool if Guerilla would have some gauntlet or waved based type of thing in the game.
Nester99
(04-21-2017, 02:00 AM)
i did not find it "hard" but i did find moments where it was "cheap" and i would get one shot'd.
sinkfla87
(04-21-2017, 02:02 AM)
It's difficult at first but making sure you do your side missions and activities before finishing a lot of the story helps. I focused on leveling up, unlocking abilities and prioritizing obtaining useful weapons more so than ones that just looked cool. That said, the first time I fought a Stormbird was a bitch haha. Shadow Ropecaster was a godsend. I played and finished on normal btw. This might have been only the 2nd or 3rd game I've ever Platinum'd by the way, what an amazing game.
Sharpeye
(04-21-2017, 02:05 AM)
I actually died from smaller enemies more than bigger enemies. Scrappers and Ravagers mostly. Never got killed by Thunderjaws or Stormbirds, they are a blast to fight though.
13ruce
(04-21-2017, 02:08 AM)
Well honestly after games like Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, Nier Automa well action (rpg) games on hard mode or higher in general. I don't really struggle that much anymore. All those games learned me quite how to predict enemy movement and dodge and attack at the right time.
Zen_Arcade
(04-21-2017, 02:10 AM)
Is the beginning of the game really the hardest part? I just beat The Proving and I think I died maybe twice so far. Both on the first Sawtooth battle.
Mathieran
(04-21-2017, 02:13 AM)
I played on normal. It was difficult but manageable in the beginning. I mostly played in stealth until the enemies became too tough to silent kill.

Then I hit a difficulty jump that I struggled with for a bit until I geared up and got more experience with the combat.

By the end of the game it was really easy.

I hope they add NG+ so I can do another run on a higher difficulty.
PooBone
(04-21-2017, 02:15 AM)
I found the combat incredibly boring. I spent most of my time trying to avoid enemies rather than loot them because it took up so much of the time spent traveling from point A to point B.
Bronetta
Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
(04-21-2017, 02:17 AM)
I died like a dozen times to that one corrupted Thunderjaw from the sidequest.

Each major fight requires a lot of planning. You cant just charge in and expect to win.

Edit: Some upgrades are extremely useful in combat. The one that knocks enemies down with heavy strikes made melee not only viable but necessary against small and medium sized enemies.
Last edited by Bronetta; 04-21-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Harlock
(04-21-2017, 02:18 AM)
I level up fighting almost machine in the path and skipped most of boring side quest. Much more fun game that way and got a little overpower from the middle to the ending.
Theslammer
(04-21-2017, 02:20 AM)

Originally Posted by kvothe

I play a lot of games and I died more than usual in Horizon. I think it's because I'm more used to enemies keeping their distance and giving me more time to heal. By the end of the game I got my mind around it, but I was a little surprised by how difficult I found it off the bat.

Also, I haven't gotten deep into any of the Souls games... I'm betting Souls players found this game a breeze.

I wouldn't say a breeze, but some of the timing I became accustomed to in Bloodborne/Souls I used here. I played on hard, and indeed, some battles were hard, especially when there were other members of a herd I didn't see, or those rockbreakers, or fighting a dino for the first time, etc.

The consensus I saw from many reviews was that the game can be difficult, so you're not alone in dying more than your average game.
hydruxo
(04-21-2017, 02:25 AM)
It had its moments of difficulty, but I played on Very Hard and never found it to be punishing or anything. You have so many tools at your disposal.

The Rockbreakers were tough as hell at first until you learn how to fight them.

Originally Posted by PooBone

I found the combat incredibly boring. I spent most of my time trying to avoid enemies rather than loot them because it took up so much of the time spent traveling from point A to point B.

Weird to see posts like this, because I thought the combat was incredible. It was so fluid and satisfying. I actually did the opposite of you and ended up fighting enemies just for the hell of it sometimes instead of going to do quests. Different strokes though, it's not for everyone for sure.
Last edited by hydruxo; 04-21-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Gator86
(04-21-2017, 02:26 AM)
I played on normal, I think, and died like twice in 60 hours if you exclude fall deaths trying to get down cliffs faster. It totally clicked for me and seemed well balanced.
DirgeExtinction
(04-21-2017, 02:27 AM)

Originally Posted by texasairhead101

I had to play on easy. The stealth and weapon synergy just wasn't clicking for me. I was just jumping in the air constantly to slow down time and head-shotting people and enemy weak spots.

There's a skill where you didn't have to jump to slow down time.