• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

BlackBanditSho
(04-20-2017, 11:26 PM)
So the Nintendo Switch is awesome, is flying off the shelves, and consumers love it. After owning one for a week, i'm comfortable saying that this is one of the most impressive pieces of gaming hardware that I've seen in years.

BUT, my early concern is the ambiguity about commitment from big publisher 3rd party support. I know that GAF is excited about the various Indie games, but the big appeal of the Switch is that it corrected so many of the design and technical problems of the Wii U.
Early complaints from publishers abandoning the Wii U were: 1.) not wanting to spend resources creating games with a small install base. 2.) not wanting to spend resources on developing for an odd architecture, and 3.) not having a clue what to do with the second screen.

The Switch seems to be a developer's dream. Supposedly, porting games to the Nintendo Switch is a breeze. The portability and internet capability of the hardware opens potential games to all new audiences. Also, because the hardware is essentially one generation behind (Ps3/X360) porting older but solid games should offer a second lease on life to a so many games. Dead Space. Madden. Metal Gear. Battlefield. Call of Duty.

I guess what I'm getting at is: The potential of this hardware is awesome. Portable Destiny 1 or Overwatch or Diablo? Maybe not at 60fps, but a solid 30 with a solid base could be amazing.

If all the Switch becomes is 1st party + indie retro quirky game port-house, I would be disappointed. I'm already looking forward to Vanilla Skyrim and have already mused on what it would be like to play an un-compromised Mass Effect trilogy on the go.

Does the Switch NEED big publisher 3rd party support to satisfy you, or will Switch owners be satisfied with Nintendo exclusives and (insert cool pc indie port).

I'll be honest, of course I bought the system for Zelda: BoTW, but what pushed me over the edge was the strong rumor of Dark Souls Trilogy. That's the stuff I want, and that the hardware could actually pull off...
Last edited by BlackBanditSho; 04-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
jdstorm
(04-20-2017, 11:26 PM)
Yes

If Nintendo doesn't place the Switch as a fully featured console on par with its competitors, its just bad buisness/marketing. It may not get every game but it should get most.
Last edited by jdstorm; 04-20-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Ultima_5
(04-20-2017, 11:27 PM)
nope. i have other ways to play 3rd party games, but honestly if they released stuff on switch i'd probably take that over ps4 or even pc....
purseowner
(04-20-2017, 11:27 PM)
All the Switch needs is HD rumble to satisfy me.

Sorry.

No, the Switch lineup is strong enough already with Nintendo's dev teams consolidated on one platform and a steady drip of indies. AAA third parties would merely be a bonus.
OrbitalBeard
(04-20-2017, 11:28 PM)
Nope.

I mean, I'd like to see some Japanese third party support at some point, but for now, I'm fine with first party games + indies. Couldn't personally care less about western AAA support. I have a PS4 and XB1 for that.
Majine
No, I bought this thing for Nintendo games.

I expect nothing else in order to keep my sanity.
Exuro
I just need/want Monster Hunter
Clov
(04-20-2017, 11:29 PM)
Nope. I'll be fine with Nintendo games and Japanese titles. Basically, if it gets the same amount of support that the 3DS has, I'll be happy.
Jawmuncher
I play my indies on Pc and a good chunk of nintendos 1st party doesn't interest me. So 3rd party is definitely needed for me. So long as it's at least on par with 3DS I should be fine. Seems like it'll get at least a lot of Japanese fare when it starts solidly replacing the vita as a handheld in Japan. So it'll be good to see that.

Also inbred konami third party to better position a snake come back in smash.

Originally Posted by Clov

Nope. I'll be fine with Nintendo games and Japanese titles. Basically, if it gets the same amount of support that the 3DS has, I'll be happy.

I mean, Japanese titles are still third party.
Living the Dream
Yep.

First party alone proved Nintendo's previous console couldn't gain momentum.
Stallion Dan
It needs some big third party exclusives.
RoKKeR
Not in the slightest. But for me it'll be a secondary device for Nintendo games only. Whether or not that can succeed without 3rd party support remains to be seen.
b00_thegh0st
I'd like 3rd party support tailored for the hardware but I don't care for downgraded ports. I have a PC.

Just give me Monster Hunter.
VistraNorrez
(04-20-2017, 11:30 PM)
Nope I just need Nintendo and Indie support. That will be more than enough games to justify the system's existence.

After Mario Kart 8 my next most anticipated game is Steamworld Dig 2.
Son of a Witch
I'm okay with Nintendo + indies/niche games + non demanding big publisher games. I don't expect them to put out big Switch exclusives or port every big game they release, and I don't think the system needs that to be successful.
Shaanyboi
I mean I never bought the Switch under any assumption major third party games were coming to it, and I can play them on other platforms without a problem.

Big third party games haven't been on the menu for Nintendo platforms for a long time. I don't know why people keep expecting that to change.
Skyzard
Yeah, Nintendo don't put out enough themselves.
Neff
I'm already satisfied by switchdevelopers.jpg

If they stick around for the rest of the ride, which they probably will if Switch continues doing well, well then great.
Wafflecakes
Nope. I have PC.

I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo game. They could release every major 3rd party game on the console and I probably wouldn't buy them.
kunonabi
As long as it absorbs the 3rd party support the 3DS and Vita got I'll be happy.
Neoxon
I already have my PS4 for my third party needs, & that's just my fighting game machine with some other games on occasion (The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Persona 5, etc.). I mean, it would be nice to have MvCI, Overwatch, Tekken 7, Persona 5, & Rocket League on the system. But I mainly bought the Switch for its exclusives, as I did for pretty much any Nintendo system since the N64.

That said, I do hope for at least a decent amount of Japanese third party support, like the 3DS & (to a lesser extent) the Wii U.
Hero of Time
I only need and expect great Nintendo games. Even if every 3rd party game was ported to the system I'd still end up buying them on PC anyway.
psyfi
(04-20-2017, 11:31 PM)
Nah, first party and indies are more than enough. I haven't counted on Nintendo having third party parity since the Gamecube.
Fireblend
No Member
(04-20-2017, 11:32 PM)
This is a really weird question because both whether I'm satisfied and what constitutes "big third party publisher support" are very subjective things.

Is there a scenario in which great first-party output justifies me buying the Switch with 0 3rd party support? Sure, probably. I like Nintendo games.

Would I be disappointed in that scenario due to the wasted potential as a result of lack of third party support? Probably. I like many third party game series.

The scenario isn't likely to occur, more like something in between, so I'm not worried.
Zoon
It doesn't need them but they are a big bonus. As someone who doesn't care about graphics I'd buy a 3rd party game on the Switch rather than PC just for being portable.
Mega
Banned
To a great extent, yes.

I enjoy Wonder Boy, Fast RMX, Isaac, Snake Pass, etc... but at some point I want to play Dark Souls, GTA, Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls. Major follow-ups after portable Zelda are needed. Lego City Undercover actually gives a taste of the possibilities for portable goodness and I want more of that.
Neoxon

Originally Posted by Living the Dream

Yep.

First party alone proved Nintendo's previous console couldn't gain momentum.

The Wii U had a ton of other problems, not just lack of third party support.
sinonobu
Would like some Japanese support.

Don't care about western publisher support since I have PC/PS4/Xbone for those.
DMONKUMA
Edit:Third-party exclusives.

Stuff like Destiny, Mass Effect, Overwatch I wouldn't play on the Switch if it was an option as I will just play them on my PC. Though there are some exceptions but that's for Japanese games.

If Platinum, Sega, Square and other Japanese made exclusive products for the system I will be fine. Of course there's Nintendo's output as well but I'm not a fan of some of their older core franchises but their newer ones instead.
Last edited by DMONKUMA; 04-21-2017 at 12:17 AM.
moomoo14
(04-20-2017, 11:33 PM)
Yes, but for me, all I would need is the kind of third party stuff we got on 3DS. It's looking like the Switch will get that, and some of the Vita support as well. That's definitely all I need.

It helps that the games Nintendo is putting out for Switch are much bigger in scope (at least so far). I've always liked their output that was more like that.
origamipirate
Personally? I'd be satisfied with just Nintendo output and the kinds of games that we typically saw on 3DS + Vita. I love those types of games, and I do have PS4/X1/PC for those bigger types of games.

BUT! I hope we get big publisher 3rd party support because I'd be much more inclined to buy all software possible on Switch rather than other platforms because the portability factor has already meaningfully changed (for the better) how deep I've been able to dig into more traditional 'console' games (there's no way I'd be done with Zelda yet if it were just on Wii U.) And that's worth any kind of performance/graphical hit a game could take, short of being literally unplayable of course.
Holy Order Sol
Nah I have a PS4 and a decent PC I got that covered even in the worst case scenario

I'd rather Nintendo themselves make more games and get more deals such as TW101 and Bayonetta 2 than chase for games I can get elsewhere too
JStein0222
Not at all. I'll take a third party exclusive every now and then, but Nintendo + indies sounds incredible to me. Especially since Nintendo's full force shouldn't be split between two consoles anymore.

I have a PS4, and frankly, nothing is going to make me want to play those big third party games on anything else.
Maximus.
It would be nice to get some third party games to play on the Switch. Being able to play on the go is a big draw for me.
guyssorry
All I want is a portable Dark Souls game. That's it. Otherwise, most of my gaming, in general, is Nintendo first/second/exclusive 3rd party games.

I expect most of the 3DS games to jump over too (e.g. Octopath, SMT, etc.), so I am not concerned. But Dark Souls, pls!
Purest 78
(04-20-2017, 11:34 PM)
Plenty of My favorite Nintendo games Ever since Nes. Were not made by Nintendo so my answer is yes.
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by moomoo14

Yes, but for me, all I would need is the kind of third party stuff we got on 3DS. It's looking like the Switch will get that, and some of the Vita support as well. That's definitely all I need.

It helps that the games Nintendo is putting out for Switch are much bigger in scope (at least so far). I've always liked their output that was more like that.

1-2 Switch and Arms aren't big in scope games. That's not a knock on the quality, but they aren't big games that the core crowd wants.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
Yes. I'm not going to buy an entire console that has maybe 5 games I want to play on it.
Mithos
(04-20-2017, 11:35 PM)
Yes.

Unless it drops in price A LOT and fast.
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
Yes I need some Need For Speed type games

even a port of The Crew would be nice

Nintendo does not make racers which is my favorite time wasters
Trago
Inb4 Jawmunche-, too late. :P

Anyway, seeing how Nintendo is a platform holder, third party support is very important. I play most of my multiplats on PC, but still, it would just be better for the platform to have strong support.
chrominance
No, but that's because my expectations are really low. If this thing gets a couple of Atlus RPGs and some Fire Emblems from Nintendo, that's about all I can ask for the system. Anything beyond that is setting yourself up for pain.
Killthee
helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Nope, I knew what I was buying when I bought it and I have a pc for 3rd party stuff. All I need is a steady stream of first party games to satisfy me.
Stanng243
Yes.
Pagusas
no i wont be playing any 3rd party games on it anyway.
Ushay
(04-20-2017, 11:36 PM)
It's my second device, for exclusives only. so it doesn't really matter to me. As long as we get games like Metroid, Zelda etc I'll be very happy with it.
Vanquish
As long as Platinum Games and FromSoftware make new games for the Switch I'll be happy.
Takat
It'll be nice to have, but not a must. I love small bits games, just got Mr Shifty (would have loved a patch to fix fps). I also have Fast RMX, the Tetris Demo. I'm covered in general. Also can't wait for flipping death.

I love Nintendo games for their originality and whimsical magic. And now indie games for their originality and here's something new attitude, and also to support that.

I find most 3rd publishers today do safe.
Infinite
I definitely NEED to say major Japanese 3rd party titles like Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter on the Switch. Western shit I can pass on personally and cop elsewhere
Strike
Nah. I'm nothing expecting much outside of Japanese 3rd party support anyway.