• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jonneh3003
(04-20-2017, 11:36 PM)
No but it's obviously welcome. I'm satisfied with the first party games and form factor of the system.
18-Volt
Yes yes yes YES! A huge yes. The thing is, this is not N64 anymore. Nintendo don't have the powerhouse of Rare, so they can't cover the system alone. Many genres won't be appearing on the system if Nintendo and couple of loyalists are the only supporters of the system: Sandbox games, FPS, racing games etc. Do Nintendo need those genres anyway? Wii U sales say they do.

One thing I discovered on Vita: FPS games play and control much better on handhelds. You're closer to screen like you are on PC and smaller analogs allow more precise aiming. Add motion controlled aiming assistance to that, you're looking at the new home of FPS game. Too bad Nintendo and Japanese devs stranger to the genre and they need western giants like Activision and EA to do that.
lord_of_flood
It doesn't need anything super big, but at minimum it needs the kind of support that we saw on the 3DS, along with Nintendo funding some 3rd party developers for additional games, like they did on Wii U.
Alchemist
No. I have a PS4 and even if the Switch did have 3rd party support, I wouldn't buy it on that platform.
a916
(04-20-2017, 11:37 PM)
Yes because Nintendo's output isn't fast enough or not enough of their games appeal to me.
boiled goose
good with gravy
I don't have time to play too many games, so quality > quantity for me.

Switch needs other things before I invest (online services details). It's gonna have enough games by the time I would consider buying one.
Magic Mushroom
Not at all. Why? I have other consoles for that. Give me indies and quality Nintendo games and I'm set.
Jakartalado
Right now I could use a Third party game.

My Switch is off for 2 weeks right now. And Mario Kart is available only next week.

I would love to play any of the games that I'm playing on my PS4 on small bursts on the weekend (could play on the go while on transport for the work)

- Persona 5
- Mass Effect Andromeda
- Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5
- Fifa 17
- Rocket League (This could be massive if 4 player split screen could be implemented on Tegra X1)
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by lord_of_flood

It doesn't need anything super big, but at minimum it needs the kind of support that we saw on the 3DS, along with Nintendo funding some 3rd party developers for additional games, like they did on Wii U.

Yes it does need anything and everything big. I don't understand this logic. Core gamers are outright ignoring Nintendo and it's because these super big games don't exist on nintendo's platform.

If you want improvement, you WANT these super big games.
jdmonmou
(04-20-2017, 11:39 PM)
Yes, my Switch is already collecting dust
Bgamer90
Nope. I (and millions of other people) have Playstations and/or Xboxes to play those games.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
Nope. I'll stick with PC for everything that isn't exclusive.
Dremorak
3ds did fine with Nintendo and japanese 3rd parties. Switch will do fine with nintendo and more japanese 3rd parties (think of all those vita exclusives that need to go SOMEWHERE) and I even think they may get a few decent western 3rd party games too. I dont think call of duty etc will ever come to or need to come to switch.
jjasso21
Yes, it would be great. If not, we may have another Wii U situation. Nintendo puts out great games, but sadly only a handful from 3rd parties.
Magic Mushroom

Originally Posted by 18-Volt

Many genres won't be appearing on the system if Nintendo and couple of loyalists are the only supporters of the system: Sandbox games, FPS, racing games etc. Do Nintendo need those genres anyway? Wii U sales say they do.

But Breath of the Wild is the best sandbox game ever made.
night814
(04-20-2017, 11:40 PM)
Nope this is the reason I have a PS4. I'm sure they'll be plenty 3rd party games to be had but any game that needs more power under the hood likely won't even bother to try to run on the switch. PS4 is already the lead platform and if devs are into the higher power that machines like Scorpio and ps4 pro have then even more stuff won't be considered for the switch. The big AAA stuff atleast.
FStubbs
I think if it continues to sell it'll get the Japanese third party games, except for companies like Falcom which IIRC have never supported Nintendo.

It'll get the indies.

And it'll get stuff like Just Dance.

It will never, ever, ever get stuff like Mass Effect: Andromeda or Read Dead Redemption 2. Companies like Rockstar would fold up shop before putting their games on a Nintendo device.
mindatlarge
A steady stream of first party titles plus exclusive third party titles would satisfy me. Along the lines of what the 3DS has going for it. I'm not interested in playing multi-plats on the Switch. I like playing those on PS4.
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(04-20-2017, 11:41 PM)
Yes. I found Zelda to be really underwhelming in general and now this thing is going to collect dust for a while, next thing that interests me is splatoon 2. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some third party support, I'm not expecting PS4 levels but I wasn't expecting first year switch output to somehow be worse than the Wii U when it comes to third party stuff
nynt9
Yes. I don't want my system to collect dust. Also, third parties are good for the sales of the system, which will lead to the system getting even more games.
Mandelbo
I'd like Japanese 3rd parties to support it in the same manner as the 3DS, but I rarely play anything from the big name Western publishers anyway, so I don't care if they support it or not.
klier
Since you highlighted NEED; ABSOLUTELY not.

Wii made clear around 100 million people thought the same.
Purest 78
(04-20-2017, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Bgamer90

Nope. I (and millions of other people) have Playstations and/or Xboxes to play those games.

I remember when A Nintendo console was all you needed. It's such a shame to see Nintendo relegated to a secondary Console.
orioto
Good Art™
(04-20-2017, 11:42 PM)
What i want from Switch is to have most big Japanese games. I'm not happy and i think Nintendo is not doing its job when i see every week new games in famitsu that are PS4/Vita. But it'll come i hope, and there will be some audience for it (not like Disgaea 5..)
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
(04-20-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by klier

Wii had TONS of third party support.
kevin1025
(04-20-2017, 11:44 PM)
Something along the lines of what the 3DS has been seeing would be incredible. I don't know if that will ever come to fruition, but one can hope!

I'm super happy with the Nintendo first-party line-up (so far), but some third-party exclusives along the way would be awesome.
18-Volt

Originally Posted by Magic Mushroom

But Breath of the Wild is the best sandbox game ever made.

Took more than 4 years to be made. Do you think there will be another similar to BotW on Switch? I highly doubt it.

Originally Posted by klier

I assure you, without Call of Dutys, NBA's, WWE's, Need For Speed's, it wouldn't be nowhere close to that number.
Dr. Black Jack
Nope. Not every game needs to be on every platform.
Buggy Loop
Naw, i have a PC if it comes to worst.

But i'm not even interested by the majority of what is considered "AAA" nowadays anyway. I can live without COD, Titanfall, Mass Effect, Assassin's creed, etc.

I pretty much feel like Yoko Taro :
“Looking at AAA titles, of course I find them beautiful and interesting, but after 20 minutes of gameplay, I wonder whether it is going to be the same for the following 20 hours. I am a bit tired of this."

It's not like big publishers carried the handhelds before either did they? Gameboy, DS, 3DS were pretty much neglected anyway. Gimme indies, some interesting 3rd party games here and there, crazy japanese games, and i'm fine.
Magic Mushroom

Originally Posted by 18-Volt

Took more than 4 years to be made. Do you think there will be another similar to BotW on Switch? I highly doubt it.

Well, there is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for starters.
TheMisterManGuy
(04-20-2017, 11:45 PM)
Yes and no. I'd love to see the Switch get as many developers on board as possible, that goes for even the big companies. But I won't cry over a game not getting a Switch version. Look, the Switch is an impressive device, but it has its limits, and not every game will be on it.

Nintendo isn't trying to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft, and they don't have to. But, they still need some big titles for the Switch, titles that work with the philosophy of the system, not against it. For example, I'd love to see Overwatch on the Switch, but I couldn't care less about having Red Dead Redemption 2 on it, because it would just feel out of place.

So really, it depends on the game. If it's something that fits in perfectly fine with the Switch and is something the system can easily run, there's no reason not to bring it over. If it's something that's better suited on the other systems, then leave it be.
lord_of_flood
(04-20-2017, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

Wii had TONS of third party support.

Which was mostly shovelware or smaller exclusive titles. The Wii couldn't support big AAA games like the HD twins could, but at the same time it didn't need them to succeed either.
JCH!
(04-20-2017, 11:47 PM)
No.

I seriously doubt I would get any AAA game for Switch instead of PC. It would have to have some crazy Switch specific features not present in the PC version.

Third party Switch exclusives would be welcome, though.
Last edited by JCH!; 04-21-2017 at 08:00 AM.
wildfire
Yes it's required to satisfy me.

It's not required to get the device BOTW and Splatoon already interest me enough to get the device.

But without some big rd partty games coming to the Switch I will feel limited and dissatisfied.
Jonneh3003

Originally Posted by jdmonmou

Yes, my Switch is already collecting dust

Are you not interested in any eShop games? There's lots to choose from.
Xando
Definitely. This first year seems to be pretty good with their main exclusives but i fear for the years after because games are still in development.
freethoughtbubble
Not really, but I wouldn't say no to certain AAA titles on the go. I kind of want to play everything on my Switch right now, even if that means taking a hit in the graphical department. This thing's just a joy to use. Complete 180 from the Wii U.

More than anything, I want the big Japanese third parties to fully commit to the system.
Last edited by freethoughtbubble; 04-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
-MD-
I only buy exclusives on consoles, couldn't care less about 3rd party support.
Falchion
(04-20-2017, 11:48 PM)
I play 3rd party stuff on the Xbox but if they don't have that option, they just need to have a ton of 1st party games. Like the 3DS and Wii U catalog combined in terms of output.
Jim_Cacher
To me, Switch doesn't need western third parties support. Of course, if they come, I will gladly buy and play them, but they are not mandatory.
Betty
The vision that was Planted in my brain
Does not still remain
No, and let's face it, they wont' get the 3rd party support.

No Battlefront 2, no Red Dead 2, no new Bethesda game, etc

I'm okay with it and when the likes of Animal Crossing, Mario & Pokemon make their way over the Switch will be fine too.
wildfire
(04-20-2017, 11:49 PM)

Originally Posted by a916

Yes because Nintendo's output isn't fast enough or not enough of their games appeal to me.

Nintendo makes a lot of games. If you never touched a DS then I can see how you would think otherwise. If you don't know how many they make on the DS would your answer change?
Jaded Alyx
Need, no. I have a PC, but as far as my tastes these days go, combined with how little time I seem to have, the vast majority of titles I find interesting will likely be on the Switch anyway, whether that's from Nintendo, indies, or Japanese publishers.
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared
No. I wouldn't not like it though. I'd buy whatever 3rd party stuff I could on switch now, as opposed to the PS4, unless there was a huge performance difference.
terrdactycalsrock
(04-20-2017, 11:50 PM)
Nah, I'm past the point of wanting that from Nintendo. I do care about 3rd party support in terms of indie developers though. The switch could be a nice little indie handheld device, and thats really appealing to me
wildfire
(04-20-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Betty

No, and let's face it, they wont' get the 3rd party support.

No Battlefront 2, no Red Dead 2, no new Bethesda game, etc

Before the Switch Never Bethesda was a realistic statement.

Don't discount Battlefront 2 not coming to the Switch a year from now once it has proven itself during the winter with better hardware sales than the Xbox 1 and Scorpio combined.
Big_Al
(04-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
No, it means absolutely nothing to me and I don't care about it on the Switch. I only really care about Nintendo games on the Switch. Everything else gets bought elsewhere.
Gridlock
(04-20-2017, 11:52 PM)
Yes

If you told me that there's a Switch version of Persona 5, Nier, Mass Effect, or <insert third party title here> I would pre order and purchase the Switch version over the others. While I know the Switch won't be getting the Red Dead's or Nier I'm going Switch only until my life allows me to game in front of a TV regularly without sacrificing sleep. So having 3rd parties on the Switch is a welcome problem I'll love to have when I'm trying to decide what to buy next.
RedSwirl
(04-20-2017, 11:52 PM)
Nah, I have a good PC. The only thing that PC can't really provide is good portable gaming, which isn't something big western AAA companies are interested in.
The Thnikkaman
(04-20-2017, 11:54 PM)
I mean, I'll live if the big 3rd parties don't put switch ports out. I've got a PC and PS4 so I'm okay having switch being my Nintendo and Indie game machine. There's no way it could be in a worse spot than the WiiU in terms of 3rd party support.

Methinks if the Switch does more big numbers through the holidays 3rd parties are going to want to put software on it.