• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Foldedpencil
(04-20-2017, 11:54 PM)
No more than the 3ds (a lot then actually).
Instro
(04-20-2017, 11:55 PM)
I don't need that level of support, and it's unlikely I would buy most multi-plays on a Switch due to the visual discrepancy. I would be perfectly happy with 3DS level support, and good indie support though.
Duxxy3
At $300... absolutely.
dmaul1114
No. It's my Nintendo box, that I'll also play some niche Japanese exclusives and indies and other pick up and play games I prefer portably. Honestly, just Nintendo games even with out the Japanese games and indies would be enough for me. PS4 and PC are my mains so I only have so much gaming time for a third platform anyway and a lot of Nintendo games get a lot of hours of play from one.

In terms of western games, I have my PC and PS4 pro for AAA third party games as I want the better graphics there, and to be on the system my friends are on for the ones I want to play online. So I wouldn't buy Switch ports of any of those anyway.
Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-21-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Got
No, because I have other ways to play. But, I will say that the convenience of the Switch and it's ability to transition from hand-held to TV screen is a function I can do with a lot more than I ever anticipated.

I'm lamenting Persona 5 right now as I want to take it on the go easily.
cubicle47b
I'd be completely happy with Nintendo games and select indies. Any 3rd party support is happily accepted, though.
Timeaisis
(04-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
Me? No. Everyone else? Yes.
Mr. Hyde
(04-20-2017, 11:57 PM)
Give me all the 3ds supporting companies, first party and indies. That will make it a good companion to my PS4 and PC.
Boy Wander
(04-20-2017, 11:59 PM)
If it keeps selling well, it will get more 3rd party support once the install base hits a certain level. Corporations are too in tune with where the money is to not increase their level of support if this thing carries on as it has started.
Aaronrules380
(04-21-2017, 12:00 AM)
I have a PS4, so not really
EBE
(04-21-2017, 12:00 AM)
yes. i wouldnt consider purchasing the console without it
NOLA_Gaffer
(04-21-2017, 12:02 AM)
Nah. I've been exclusively on Nintendo platforms the last two generations outside of the PSP and a half-dozen or so Xbox 360 games I've purchased.
FerretGamer
No, but I'd welcome the 3rd party support since I'd more often than not go with the Switch version because of convenience.
Wishmaster92
Yes especially for the price.
meppi
(04-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
Me personally? No, not at all.
Then again, I have a particular taste in games.
Been having a ton more fun the last couple of years with great A and B type games from smaller publishers, than the AAA mega hits which tend to bore me to bits after a while.
Not to mention indie games where quite a few favourites seem to be coming from nowadays. (Enter the Gungeon, Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Steamworld, etc)

The AAA third party model could go belly up tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink.
mooooose
(04-21-2017, 12:04 AM)
Yes. Unlike Nintendo platforms in the past, this thing is capable of running full current gen console games (albeit with toned down graphics) and it's portable. I love the switch hardware but it needs more games.
dose
(04-21-2017, 12:04 AM)
Yep, Nintendo titles aren't enough.
Parapraxis
(04-21-2017, 12:06 AM)
I'm just not sure I beleive the "porting games to the Nintendo Switch is a breeze" claim that keeps popping up. The WiiU was dead for it's last 2 years and has a solid library ripe for porting, yet from the WiiU there is literally ONE port with MK8D. If it is so easy to Port why didn't Nintendo themselves have a bunch of ported WiiU games ready to beef up the Switches first year?
Peltz
(04-21-2017, 12:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Son of a Witch

I'm okay with Nintendo + indies/niche games + non demanding big publisher games. I don't expect them to put out big Switch exclusives or port every big game they release, and I don't think the system needs that to be successful.

Agreed.

I think smaller Japanese titles would also work well on the device.
Caramello
(04-21-2017, 12:07 AM)
Wii U satisfied me from a software point of view so probably not. On the other hand I would actually like to play multiplatform games on Switch.
stoke1863
Doesn't need it for me as it's a secondary platform alongside PC
jroc74
Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Originally Posted by Stallion Dan

It needs some big third party exclusives.

Cant repeat this enough.

Its one thing the Wii had that was overlooked. Dont need multi platform games, I wouldnt even get them on the Switch anyway unless I wanted to play them on the go that badly.

Need some 3rd party exclusives tho.

With sales the way they are on PSN and XBL I have no problem double dipping across platforms.

It NEEDS 3rd party exclusives tho.
Clov

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

I play my indies on Pc and a good chunk of nintendos 1st party doesn't interest me. So 3rd party is definitely needed for me. So long as it's at least on par with 3DS I should be fine. Seems like it'll get at least a lot of Japanese fare when it starts solidly replacing the vita as a handheld in Japan. So it'll be good to see that.

Also inbred konami third party to better position a snake come back in smash.

I mean, Japanese titles are still third party.

Well, yes, though many of them aren't exactly what you'd call big publisher. When the OP is listing examples like Dead Space and Mass Effect, I made the assumption what they meant was "Does Switch need AAA third party support to satisfy you?".
BorkBork
The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
(04-21-2017, 12:08 AM)
3DS quantity and tier would be great.
Tathanen
Get Inside Her!
(04-21-2017, 12:08 AM)
Absolutely not. I have a PS4 for that, but expect I'll make it to the end of the generation with fewer than 10 PS4 games anyway.

I suspect the majority of people who so vehemently push for Nintendo to improve their third party support are people in a similar situation, at least in terms of having another machine they'd play all those games on. Which is why it's so frustrating to constantly hear arguments in favor of a situation that would in no way benefit them anyway.

The Switch needs third party games only for the dwindling "Nintendo only" gamer, a small minority on GAF. And one that traditionally doesn't buy third party games anyway.

Tho note that I'm referring primarily to large studio games here, indies are another story entirely.

[Edit] That said, the Switch's portability certainly makes games one might traditionally play elsewhere much more desirable than they've typically been.
hatchx
(04-21-2017, 12:09 AM)
Not necessarily, but there are some serious genre gaps in Nintendo's library. They should aim to have atleast one FPS a year, whether that's getting COD on their platform or doing it themselves, they really shouldn't leave one of biggest genre's completely absent.

They should still strike exclusive deals or IP-licensing with 3rd party partners. Monster Hunter, ZombiU, Lego City, Bayonetta, and Hyrule Warriors were really nice on WiiU.
Living the Dream
(04-21-2017, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Boy Wander

If it keeps selling well, it will get more 3rd party support once the install base hits a certain level. Corporations are too in tune with where the money is to not increase their level of support if this thing carries on as it has started.

Did you forget about the Wii? It had next to zero AAA support
zewone
(04-21-2017, 12:11 AM)
It needs some at the least.

Nintendo can only pump out so many games. They can't be the only ones releasing games for the console or else it's another Wii U.
BlackBanditSho
(04-21-2017, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Gridlock

Yes

If you told me that there's a Switch version of Persona 5, Nier, Mass Effect, or <insert third party title here> I would pre order and purchase the Switch version over the others. While I know the Switch won't be getting the Red Dead's or Nier I'm going Switch only until my life allows me to game in front of a TV regularly without sacrificing sleep. So having 3rd parties on the Switch is a welcome problem I'll love to have when I'm trying to decide what to buy next.

The responses in this thread surprised me. The mobility is a huge factor for me. As a father, it changed the way that i game. I'm more in your boat, gridlock. I've found that i'd take a graphical hit for a that portability, and some of the bigger titles like Nier would've gotten a glance from me had it been on switch.

I prefer the Western experiences to be honest, but something like Persona 5 would've been interesting...
Rizific
(04-21-2017, 12:14 AM)
not at all. i already have the platform where the best versions of 3rd party games are available. switch has the same purpose as any other console, to play exclusives.
fredrancour
(04-21-2017, 12:16 AM)
No, because I'm building a PC, but I know that I will likely play nearly anything that ends up on both as a handheld game, and demoting PC versions to maybe-double-dip-during-sales. I just don't expect to have that option very often

So while it doesn't need 3rd party supporting satisfy me, and I've bought the thing assuming I'll have to get my money's worth from mostly first party games, I'll be thrilled if I turn out too pessimistic.
Khrno
(04-21-2017, 12:19 AM)
The Switch needs a huge amount of RPGs from big, medium and small Japanese publishers and developers. Basically just as many RPGs as on DS, 3DS or Vita.
Dreez
(04-21-2017, 12:20 AM)
Don't Nintendo handhelds get a crap ton of games from 3rd party? If Switch gets that, that's cool, don't gotta be EA/Activision/Ubi.
nynt9

Originally Posted by Living the Dream

Did you forget about the Wii? It had next to zero AAA support

I could keep going...
Calm Mind
No. Not because I'm satisfied elsewhere. They've fallen out of favor with me some time ago namely because of the business models adopted late 7th and early 8th generation. I don't judge those who still continue to support them and these practices. I simply refuse to acknowledge anything they do at retail. Honestly, the only price I pay for their games is used. The Switch feeds my current gameplay habits quite sufficiently.

P.S. I am not against 3rd party support on the Switch.
Cuburt
(04-21-2017, 12:21 AM)
Yes and no.

If the support is like the Wii U, yes, it sucked for the most part, even when it got "big" 3rd party support.

If it was able to get the sort of support that the Wii, 3DS, and DS got, it could be an amazing platform that I wouldn't even miss 3rd party support (that I couldn't get on other platforms if I really wanted to play them).

The indie support for the Switch already feels like the situation should be a step up from what the Wii U could get just due to the ease of development and the improved tools. It even feels like it the lower entry to become a developer or the lack of many of the hurdles that plagued the Wii should be gone. I think even the quality and diverse range of games that smaller studios and indies make these days, the Switch can offer a unique platform to give many of those games a spotlight and emphasis they might otherwise not get.

I hope that the Switch has the architecture and install base to mean that bigger AAA games come to that platform that make the most sense, since many of those same games can be great just to be able to play on a platform as flexible as the Switch, but I think it fills a niche that doesn't require the platform to get all the AAA mutliplatform games to be worthwhile or even a great platform with great support.
MicH
(04-21-2017, 12:21 AM)
No. If Nintendo brings all their biggest IPs then I'm already satisfied. Wii U failed in this aspect in my opinion as, despite there being a lot of great Nintendo games, a lot of them were missing or only half-assed spinoffs appeared on the platform. It was extremely evident that they moved all their resources to the Switch fairly early on and thus the Wii U never got a lot of the big games previous consoles did. It's the only console to haven't had its own mainline Animal Crossing and Metroid since the N64
Xando
(04-21-2017, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreez

If Switch gets that, that's cool, don't gotta be EA/Activision/Ubi.

Those are the ones that sell though.

COD on the go would be something.
sora87
Definitely needs something there to help fill up the gaps in first party offerings
DiscoJer
Yes. With the exception of Fire Emblem, I really don't like Nintendo games.

I want a Switch because I want portable AAA or at least AA 1/2A games.
Foxix Von
rolling up newspapers
and smacking noses
(04-21-2017, 12:24 AM)
As someone who actively dislikes the majority of Nintendo's offerings, yes. Very, very yes.
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Originally Posted by nynt9

I could keep going...

One of those games is my top 2 most wanted rereleases for Switch. Probably not hard to guess which one. Lets just say I'll buy it at a high price!
Jonneh3003

Originally Posted by nynt9

I could keep going...

Yeah the Wii had pretty vast third party support, it's odd that a bit of shovelware has caused people to ignore the good stuff.
TheBaldEmperor
If Monster Hunter continues on Switch and we get some Resident Evil love I'll be set. Square Enix getting in there with some decent titles and I'll be happy.
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(04-21-2017, 12:25 AM)
I'm ok as long as there some Japanese 3rd party support and indies.
4Tran
I may not play many AAA games, but I don't play Nintendo games either. As it stands, the Switch is a complete turn off for me.
Jonneh3003

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

One of those games is my top 2 most wanted rereleases for Switch. Probably not hard to guess which one. Lets just say I'll buy it at a high price!

I'm not even kidding when I say that's one of my most anticipated E3 announcements. Portable RE4 is the dream!
nynt9

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

I too will pay top price for Madden 13 on Switch

I know you mean the best third person/horror game of all time
baxter2231
(04-21-2017, 12:27 AM)
Yes, i dont feel comfortable buying digital with Nintendo. Want all carts and usually indies dont do carts unless limited run games stuff. Otherwise its just a Nintendo only machine, yawn.
Lord Azrael
(04-21-2017, 12:27 AM)
No, but I would love it if it got strong support from the big Japanese companies.