• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Triplicates
(04-21-2017, 12:28 AM)
I expect a great unified Nintendo library with a healthy assortment of mid-tier third party games. That's exactly how it's shaping up, and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Nevertheless, I would actually like to see more western third parties on Switch for the big multi platform games. Because of the gimmick, this is the first system where I might be willing to take a hit on the graphics for the convenience of portability. I have a PS4 Pro and a top of the class PC, but I can envision more than a few games where graphics would be less important to me.
RoninChaos
(04-21-2017, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by jdstorm

Yes

If Nintendo doesn't place the Switch as a fully featured console on par with its competitors, its just bad buisness/marketing. It may not get every game but it should get most.

Yup. This guy gets it.
AndrewDean84xX
(04-21-2017, 12:29 AM)
Nope. With all the Nintendo teams working on one platform, plus indies, the Switch will have a crazy good library.
MooseKnuckles
Not for me. I already own a PS4 for third party releases and I don't have enough time to play as many games as I used to.

For me the switch is the perfect secondary system - the portability gives it extra utility that a traditional console doesn't have, and if Nintendo consolidate all their dev effort onto the platform there should be plenty of first party games to choose from. This year alone with Zelda, MK8, Splatoon and Mario is enough of a release calendar to fill up a good chunk of my gaming schedule.
Boy Wander

Originally Posted by Living the Dream

Did you forget about the Wii? It had next to zero AAA support

It had decent support from AAA publishers, just not AAA games.

EA, Capcom, Ubi, Konami and Sega all published plenty of Wii games.
Dark Ninja
Nah not for me I have a PC and other consoles for that. I wouldn't mind purchasing some 3rd party games on Switch though just for the portable mode.
Wagram
(04-21-2017, 12:30 AM)
I would like some third party exclusives, but i'll never be buying inferior multiplats on the Switch.
wartama
(04-21-2017, 12:30 AM)
As long as Japanese third party devs support it, I'm happy. I expect Platinum to make something for it.
aadiboy
(04-21-2017, 12:31 AM)
If Nintendo games alone aren't enough to convince you to buy the system, then you probably shouldn't buy it.
JonnyDBrit
Outright need, for me personally? No, as Nintendo's content is appealing to me in general and will be reason enough when I can scrounge up enough spare cash.

Do I really want that support? Yes, yes I do. I want the possibility of portable versions of major releases to be a thing. One of the big draws to the system for me is the idea of playing Skyrim and the next 3D Sonic game on the go.
TreasureHunterG
People saying "I already have another platform to play multiplatform games"... keep in mind that multi system ownership is a very niche and few people can actually afford (or care) to buy more than one platform, so this claim is nonsensical or unrealistic for the market standards.

Yes, it's very important to have strong 3rd-party support, relying solely on first and second-party support would be very unwise and restrict the platform library audience. Nintendo can't afford to reach every single taste in the market, so they need to have third-party support, unlike some people try to claim otherwise.
Harmen
(04-21-2017, 12:34 AM)
Yes. Absolutely and this is where Nintendo has to convince me, even If their own output is more than on the WiiU.

For every platform I have bought, third parties make up a significant part of my library. This includes Nintendo platforms, such as the SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, DS, GC (mainly Capcom, but also EA with the likes of SSX and Timesplitters), and the Wii. Only for the N64, my go to games were mostly Nintendo and Rare.

Don't get me wrong, on many of these platforms some of the best games if not the best are by Nintendo itself, and Nintendo has made and will continue to be making absolute gems. But due to my tastes, there are certain aspects of gaming or genres I want that Nintendo themselves do not cover very well. I don't judge platforms on their exclusive lineup, I judge them on what is available on them, how much games I want to play on them.
Azerare
(04-21-2017, 12:34 AM)
They have to do better than the wii u. That was just a wreck.

I do think it will get decent 3rd party support the way various studios keep talking about bring their titles to the switch.

Though to satisfy me personally, nah. The only 3rd party support game i really play these days is Destiny. Everything else are platform exclusives like Gears, Zelda, Smash, Uncharted.
Dynheart
(04-21-2017, 12:35 AM)
Nintendo, Japanese 3rd party support, and indies. That's pretty much what I'm expecting to get on the Switch, and so far, it seems to be going that way. If it gets extra, then great. Although I do own a PS4 as well, so i am covered on that front.
Skittzo0413
(04-21-2017, 12:35 AM)
NEED? No, I have a PC that's fine for multiplats.

But I would 100% prefer to buy everything on the Switch if possible. I absolutely love the device and form factor.

EDIT: If the question in the OP is asking if they need it to satisfy me, specifically, then yeah I'd say no. If the question is about whether they need it to maintain success then I'd say yeah, they need a fair amount.
EDarkness
(04-21-2017, 12:36 AM)
It does for me, since I don't buy many Nintendo games. But I don't need everything, just a few FPS games, a hockey game, a NBA game, and some RPGs. I'm fairly easy to please, but I want those games as well since I know indies and Nintendo games won't be able to keep me entertained for long.

Originally Posted by aadiboy

If Nintendo games alone aren't enough to convince you to buy the system, then you probably shouldn't buy it.

The Wii and the Gamecube were great for me. My Wii game collection is HUGE. Lots of good stuff for that system.
Last edited by EDarkness; 04-21-2017 at 12:39 AM.
TheChaos
(04-21-2017, 12:36 AM)
Yes. Great first party titles alone aren't enough to carry a console. The Wii U proved that to me.
dragonflys545
(04-21-2017, 12:38 AM)
They won't do Wii or PS4 numbers if they don't get those support.
Tron#1
(04-21-2017, 12:39 AM)
Yes and no. If it sells they will be there but Nintendo has the ip's to start the sales hopefully E3 we get some decent support and unbelievable surprises.
VariantX
No. I have a PC and a PS4 pro for that stuff. I bought a switch primarily for Nintendo games and to play some indies on it.
zelas
No. Pricing its hardware as the secondary, first party only option people insist it should be looked upon as would be an acceptable alternative.
Chezzymann
(04-21-2017, 12:40 AM)
It just needs 3DS style support in addition to big console style Nintendo games a few times a year
Candescence
(04-21-2017, 12:41 AM)
Honestly, for many third party stuff, especially stuff with a lot of camera control, I'd rather play PC. But the Switch is fantastic for certain indies.

To be frank, I have PC for everything that isn't certain indies and console exclusives, which I have my PS4 and Switch for, and even then my PS4 is getting a lot less playtime than my Nintendo systems.
Kingpin Rogers
Don't give a shit about 90% of western developed games so if those devs don't jump on the Switch I probably won't care.

I'd like it if the Japanese devs would give Switch the support it deserves but it doesn't need it for me to be satisifed.

All I really need is a semi-steady supply of good 1st party Nintendo titles.
OnionPowder
Nope. I already own all the other consoles. I bought it for Nintendo games and hopefully indies in bed.
Piers
(04-21-2017, 12:45 AM)
To personally satisfy me, probably not -- because I'll end up buying those during Steam sales.
But for the sake of their market relevancy, people simply will not buy a system if it lacks titles like Fifa or GTA and unfortunately those are the exact publishers/studios that Nintendo has burnt bridges with long ago.
dreamlongdead
(04-21-2017, 12:45 AM)
Nintendo Switch needs solid support from Atlus, Capcom, Bamco, Sega, and Square Enix to be a really viable platform in my eyes. Additional companies would be icing on the cake for me.

Early signs are actually positive in this regard. The indie support is strong, so I have great expectations for the eShop, too.
Last edited by dreamlongdead; 04-21-2017 at 12:48 AM.
nitekrawlwer
(04-21-2017, 12:46 AM)
For me personally yes. Though the big companies I'm thinking about are Japanese and will likely be on board so I have little doubt they will deliver.
Memorabilia
(04-21-2017, 12:46 AM)
Not me, personally. I couldn't care less as I have every console plus a couple gaming PCs. Ultimately, I buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives and, maybe, in the case of the Switch for the odd 3rd party title for some gaming-on-the-go (Skyrim comes to mind). Nintendo won me over with Switch whereas they never could with Wii U simply because the hardware isn't a Fisher-Price toy. Any 3rd party titles I pick up will just be gravy, but certainly not something that's make or break.

That said...I do think in order for the Switch to reach it's potential it'll need better 3rd party support than Wii U, since a lot of gamers don't have every system or even more than one. For those households which will purchase only one console (lots of people), a wider array of games will be very important in terms of selling the Switch. People who know they can cover most gaming bases for their family with just one console purchase are far more likely to pick up a Switch if it isn't as limited in this regard as was Wii U. I'd venture a guess it's a no-brainer the Switch will exceed Wii U sales, simply on the virtue of its much higher quality hardware design and hybrid versatility...but the question is by how much? Anything less than 40-50 million units over its lifespan sold would be a disappointment given its potential. But to reach that they'll need some solid - if not spectacular - 3rd party support.
Last edited by Memorabilia; 04-21-2017 at 12:49 AM.
AmyS
(04-21-2017, 12:47 AM)
YES,
Auron
(04-21-2017, 12:47 AM)
Yes.

I expect the Switch to be my primary gaming platform. Although I own a PS4, I prefer the versatility of the Switch even if there is a downgrade on the visuals.

Basically if I purchase a title for the Switch it is more likely to get played to completion. In contrast, about half my PS4 titles have only been played 30 minutes or less.
Godon
(04-21-2017, 12:48 AM)
Honestly, it would be very much appreciated but not needed.
jviggy43
Yes. I don't excuse this simply because I buy a nintendo system mostly for nintendo games. I wouldn't do it for the other systems either. I prefer my consoles to give me the most for my money. I also understand that the decisions nintendo has made over the last several console releases have drastically affected the third party support of each console, and isn't something that is likely to remedied by single console release but I personally would much prefer nintendo try to release a system that catches up with the times rather than chase the wii demographic of gimmicky features that have little to no bearing on their actual major first party releases. I also understand that others are fully on board with what nintendo has been outputting so this is more or less just my personal preference.
DeuceGamer
Does it need it? 3DS was quite successful with what a lot of gaffers would call a lack of Third Party support. It needs some support but I think it will get some. Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Warner Bros, Atlus, Sega, THQ Nordic, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc... all appear to have some level of support.

I wouldn't plan on getting all of the major AAA western releases but I do think there will be Third Parties that release titles on it. If they sell decently they will continue to support the Switch.
Jackstin
(04-21-2017, 12:49 AM)
Yes.

If your only playing Nintendo games you're doing yourself a disservice as a gamer. But at the same time it should be okay to have just one games console. That's what most normal people have after all.
Meffer
(04-21-2017, 12:50 AM)
Would be nice and it already is, no?
Osukaa
(04-21-2017, 12:51 AM)
It would be nice to have some 3rd party support but honestly if its between a game running on my Switch or my PS4 i'm gonna go with the PS4 version.

I'm just expecting the Switch to be my secondary gaming console that I use only for the exclusives from Nintendo and their 2nd Parties. It's kinda sad/disappointing that I no longer expect Nintendo to be a heavy hitter when I think about the types of games that I want to play on it.

With that said the exclusives they have in my opinion make it worth the investment in buying their new systems. Zelda has blown my mind in terms of it being really their first game like this and being quite good. (I cant stand the control scheme and I think its weapon/item setup is pretty awful but it can be easily improved in future installments)

I guess Nintendo just gonna be Nintendo lol I find myself having this weird Love-Hate Relationship with them.
RoboGeorgeForeman
(04-21-2017, 12:53 AM)
I wouldn't mind big Japanese 3rd party support, but it definitely needs some of the niche titles that were on the Vita/3DS to completely satisfy me. Don't really give two shits for big western 3rd parties and smaller games most likely will be on the PC so I'm covered.
Griss
(04-21-2017, 12:53 AM)
I have a PS4 Pro and 4k TV for the big multiplats.

As far as I'm concerned, Switch is the 3DS's replacement and I'll judge it along those lines. As such it doesn't matter if it gets the latest Battlefield - I'd never play a game like that on Switch anyway.
spyroflame0487
(04-21-2017, 12:57 AM)
To satisfy me? No. Not really. I think it gets plenty of love from Indies and the core Nintendo titles are more than enough to keep me satisfied for long time.

To satisfy the general public, the gaming community, shareholders, etc? I think NEED is an understatement.
The Wii U suffered from having low support and garbage ports. If the Switch suffers the same fate, even though it has super strong positive momentum this year, it's not clear that the ecosystem can last on Nintendo games and Indies alone.

The Switch seems to be getting pretty good support out of the gate, but it'll depend on what kind of games it gets going forward. Are they going to be garbage ports of titles dumped to the console with little to no effort? (and then when they don't sell, publishers pull future support?) Are they going to be exclusive third party titles/early exclusives? Will we be getting year old games while the latest ones hit PS4/XBO?
Azriell
It would be nice, but if what we're talking about here is multi-plats, than no. Multi-plats are generally going to perform worse on Switch, and while there are certainly some cases where I'd choose a worse-performing portable game over the opposite, I don't care enough to make a big fuss over it.

I'd be very happy to have a typical smattering of indies and mid-tier JP developers, coupled with the expected first-party output.
messiaen
For me, no. But I'm very aware that I'm a skew case gamer now and mostly just play Nintendo titles, some strategy games on PC and a few odd titles here and there.

But in my opinion they absolutely need third party support to be really successful; especially Western third party.
Kintaro
Worships the porcelain goddess
(04-21-2017, 12:58 AM)
I need Nintendo's full attention on this thing. Meaning all of their smaller IPs too. Then I need a lot of exclusive JP stuff. RPGs, action, etc. Multiplats won't help me keep this thing as I will buy them in the better platform.

Basically, big exclusive JP support and Nintendo's full attention. There is already enough games to last for years on PS4/PC. Switch needs more than Zelda to make it worth it to me.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(04-21-2017, 12:58 AM)
Honestly no, it doesn't.

That's what my PC is for and there aren't any exclusives on other consoles that I care about.
Crazy Diamond
(04-21-2017, 01:00 AM)
Not necessarily. Their first-party games are what I'm there for, but if there's a third-party game I'm interested in and it happens to be on all platforms, then the Switch is my number one option without a doubt. The Switch, in a couple of months, has satisfied me exponentially more than both of the other current-gen home consoles have combined, in about four years ...with all of the third-party support in the world.
Otnopolit
(04-21-2017, 01:01 AM)
Honestly, so far so good. Getting a lot of mileage out of mine thus far and really enjoying nearly every aspect of the experience. The current E Shop lineup is pretty good right now too!

I'm also confident that there will be some anyway, and that's exciting given how the Switch has some incredible momentum building. Icing on the cake!
GwyndolinCinder
I'm not sure, the switch is unique, i'm having a blast playing games like puyo tetris which i would never have even glanced at on other consoles.
So i guess the switch is already satisfying me, but i do wish i had another big meaty RPG to sink my time into on the system.
Pasedo
I'm finding Switch amazing for large open world games. If I get more of them from 3Ps I'd be very happy. Skyrim is on its way but we need more.
Jawbreaker
(04-21-2017, 01:02 AM)
For me? It just needs Nintendo games.
Theswweet
(04-21-2017, 01:02 AM)
I want the Switch to be my replacement for my Wii U, 3DS, and Vita. In that regards things are looking pretty promising.