• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

topplehat
(04-21-2017, 01:03 AM)
For me no, because I have PS4/PC where versions of those games are going to run and look better anyways...
Zaventem
(04-21-2017, 01:03 AM)
There big 3rd party 3ds support is what drove me to buy the system so yes it would be nice if thatwent to switch. It'll ge me to make a purchase.
AcademicSaucer
(04-21-2017, 01:05 AM)
I have a PC so no
Skyzard
(04-21-2017, 01:06 AM)
It doesn't really have to be big huge 3rd parties though. A lot of good indies at retail could do well (like blazerush) if Nintendo REALLY went after them.
They'd be designing different types of games for it as a party game device and more. Lots of PC games would be suitable already.

If they charged like $20 dollars an indie at retail. That would be huge but probably impossible with carts...they could sell them as codes, bundle with amiibos for like $30. Online it seems too steep. Maybe $15. And have dlc (?).

Everyone has a system for big huge games. But indies can make really fun games that shine on good handhelds.
Last edited by Skyzard; 04-21-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Wiitardation
(04-21-2017, 01:07 AM)
Not at all. My Switch gets used daily whilst my consoles with all the big 3rd party support collect dust or have been relegated to Netflix boxes since March 3rd.

Steady stream of interesting indies and Nintendo 1st party games will keep it this way until Destiny 2 at least.

Even if it was to hypothetically get the big publishers on board, my friends are too invested in the PSN ecosystem for me to justify getting something like Destiny 2 on the Switch over the PS4.
bobbychalkers
(04-21-2017, 01:09 AM)
Cutting edge 3rd party AAA? No I got a PS4 and a PC for that. Indies, smaller 3rd parties and Japanese 3rd parties in general, absolutely.
Blobbers
(04-21-2017, 01:10 AM)
When people say no are you saying

"I'm okay with Nintendo-developed games only"
or
"I'm okay with Nintendo-developed games plus the usual Atlus, Capcom, Square, Level 5, various JP devs"

because those "other" devs are precisely what made the DS and 3DS one of the best consoles for me, and hopefully the Switch down the line.
I think the DS and 3DS go down several tiers in console rankings if you're only counting the Nintendo titles.

I'm actually hoping Shin Megami Tensei V is a Switch exclusive because I'd consider it a system seller on the level of something like Bloodborne.
sneas78
(04-21-2017, 01:10 AM)
Yes.
Vinc
(04-21-2017, 01:11 AM)
No, it just needs a laaaaaarge amount of exclusive games. I will not buy multiplatform AAA games on it, as I have a PS4 Pro for those. If a game is a good fit for a portable and has relative visual parity with the PS4 Pro, such as Puyo Puyo Tetris, I will definitely favor the Switch version.
entremet
(04-21-2017, 01:14 AM)
Nope. Indies and all Nintendo teams on it will be enough.
Jarnet87
(04-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Indie and Japanese 3rd party support is all I need.
Crayon
(04-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
As my third current platform after steam and ps4.... No. But if 3rd party games come to the switch I'd be interested in buying some on the switch instead of PC or PS.
WhiteWaterM00se
(04-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
Switch must have third party support. Nintendo needs diversity for the type of games it does not make themselves. Mature rated titles like Skyrim which is also a WRPG, not in Nintendo's catalog. Nor is FPS. Where is COD? Sports games as well.

Plus third parties show Nintendo how some games should act in a modern day setting. MK8 doesn't have friendlist or voicechat at launch! I can not imagine a Fifa, COD, or NBA w/o voice chat.

Nintendo needs third parties to do what they won't.
Mik2121
Platinum Member
(04-21-2017, 01:18 AM)
Nope. I would love to have Overwatch and Diablo on it, but otherwise the largest games I'd love to get are things like Rocket League. Otherwise, Nintendo stuff is good enough for me.

I already own a PS4 and PC.
WhiteWaterM00se
(04-21-2017, 01:28 AM)
I think it comes to two types of people:

1) Those that own other systems or pc with Switch...

2) Those that Switch as their primary system.

Based on which one you are, i think your answer will vary. But traditionally, the more games a system has is never a bad thing.
dreamlongdead
(04-21-2017, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Blobbers

When people say no are you saying

"I'm okay with Nintendo-developed games only"
or
"I'm okay with Nintendo-developed games plus the usual Atlus, Capcom, Square, Level 5, various JP devs"

because those "other" devs are precisely what made the DS and 3DS one of the best consoles for me, and hopefully the Switch down the line.
I think the DS and 3DS go down several tiers in console rankings if you're only counting the Nintendo titles.

I'm actually hoping Shin Megami Tensei V is a Switch exclusive because I'd consider it a system seller on the level of something like Bloodborne.

The post matches my views 100%. Support that boils down to Nintendo-only is simply unacceptable. It's why I didn't care about WiiU at all.

A significant portion of my favorite DS and 3DS games are not developed by Nintendo.
LordOcidax
(04-21-2017, 01:29 AM)
I have a PC for third party games and Microsoft games and a PS4 for Sony Exclusives... So nop.
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(04-21-2017, 01:31 AM)
Not NEED (I play on multiple systems) but gaming on the go is so convenient that I would definitely (re)buy some titles. The more the merrier, really.
Last edited by axisofweevils; 04-21-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Primethius
(04-21-2017, 01:31 AM)
I can't do Nintendo only. I need games from Japanese devs and a few other multiplats that would be nice to play in portable format.
Vegetable Lasagna
(04-21-2017, 01:32 AM)
Yes, but I bought it knowing it probably wouldn't. Because, Zelda. But I will absolutely spend less money and time playing the Switch than if it had the 3rd party support Sony and MS consoles have. Outside of Splatoon 2 there isn't anything else I plan on buying this year for the Switch. 90% of the stuff announced that I would be interested in I already have on other consoles/pc. Nintendo gonna be Nintendo and lose out on a lot of my gaming funds I guess.

Honestly, it's more than just 3rd support though. Even if Nintendo had equal 3rd party support they're going to have to back that up with decent online services that have evolved beyond the mid to late '90s implementations. I'll believe that when I see it.
Last edited by Vegetable Lasagna; 04-21-2017 at 01:39 AM.
AGITΩ
(04-21-2017, 01:36 AM)
I do. At first i was one of those "Ixm only going to play this docked only, so dont care about the handheld portion" but since getting this at launch and not living alone. The hand held mode was really convenient. Especially since i dont live alone. Like i feel i would need 2 switches, one for me and the wife. But now with the tv hogging on persona 5 theres plenty of times both my wife and i are like "wish this was on Switch". Plus after being hopped on on meds last week and being stuck in bed its really just too convenient. After gaming like that, its hard to go back. So i really would like as much as support as possible
Sword Of Doom
(04-21-2017, 01:38 AM)
No as long as I get all of nintendo's first party on one device
IdleRover
(04-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
I don't NEED it. It would be nice, but I've been more interested in indies the last couple of years. So that and Nintendo games is enough for me.

I also have a PS4 and a fairly beefy PC, which I guess also influences what I need for the switch. Though, I've barely been playing on those this year.
hersheyfan
(04-21-2017, 01:41 AM)
I expect third party support from all the major Japanese third parties, not so much from the western pubs (expecting minimal/token support except for their "smaller" titles).

... and thats fine with me, PS4/PC got me covered on that front. The Switch appears to be well on its way to deliver on my ideal of "a much more successful Vita".
katsubento
(04-21-2017, 01:45 AM)
Yes, as much as I respect Ninetndo and their franchises, I'm not too big a fan of them.

My Wii U only played Bayonetta 2 and W101.

The Switch is an intrigiung piece of hardware that is different but I need something to play on it. Zelda doesn't interest me. Ultra SF2 is the only thing I would play right now...and I'm not buying another console for another SF2, as much as I love SF2.
Cramoss
(04-21-2017, 01:46 AM)
Just strong 1st and 2nd party support for me. For the rest I have other systems.
Savitar
(04-21-2017, 01:47 AM)
Yes.

I don't expect them to publish everything as they do on the PS4 or Xbox One but I do want some support there.

There is a lot of potential for the system if utilized.
MegaManTrigger
(04-21-2017, 01:47 AM)
Western 3rd party games don't interest me in the slightest, so I really only care about Nintendo franchises and Japanese 3rd Party games whenever I buy their consoles.

All I need is more games like Breath of the Wild for their respective franchises (as in high quality and fun gameplay).
Gaspard
(04-21-2017, 01:48 AM)
I have a PS4 and a PC so if Switch got Nintendo's output + Indies + Monster Hunter I would be more than satisfied.
whatever6352
(04-21-2017, 01:49 AM)
Nah it doesn't I only buy Nintendo and Xbox consoles for exclusives. I play all my 3rd party games on PlayStation where all my family and friends primarily game on.
LCGeek
formerly sane
(04-21-2017, 01:50 AM)
Nope and I consistently don't expect any worthwhile 3rd party support on nintendo platforms.
PetrCobra
(04-21-2017, 01:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Exuro

I just need/want Monster Hunter

Don't we all.

Honestly, I don't really need 3rd parties to justify my purchase of the Switch (the only thing I need for that is time... until the end of this year at least, looking at the release schedule). Still, I secretly hope that this will be finally the Nintendo console that sees a proper 3rd party support and I'll be able to play any of their games on the go. And on the TV (monitor). And in my bed. I don't play games on the toilet so not there.
Baleoce
The hook isn't so much about being able to play those 3rd party games on Switch at a fidelity akin to its competition, as that's not really possible. So there's no appeal to that aspect. Instead it's about being able to play those same games on a portable device. So with that in mind I do believe it would help if they were a consistent part of the library going forward.
The Horror the horror
Big publishers have always supported Nintendo...

...they support them with C-tier games or effort.
TZchassis
(04-21-2017, 01:54 AM)
Not AAA third party games but hidden gems from Capcom, Level-5, Atlus, and other Japanese publishers
chekhonte
For me it doesn't NEED them but it does need them. I'll be 66 percent satisfied with out them but that extra 33 percent is pretty meaningful.
PooBone
They don't need huge third party support. They need better than they have though. So far the calendar looks DIRE.
EhoaVash
(04-21-2017, 01:57 AM)
I mean it would be cool to see current gen AAA 3rd party multiplats like overwatch being playable on the go on switch, but i don't think switch is capable of pulling off performance heavy games on such small hardware at this time, maybe Switch 2 will

but anyway i'm perfectly fine with just nintendo games on the switch. i hardly buy multiplat games as it is on ps4, mostly just stick to first party/ sometimes i'll get the hyped up major japanese games on it but thats about it.

I mean I bought Gamecube for super smash,, Wii for Smash, wii u for smash and i'll get a switch for smash too lol. love me some smash alongside Zelda and 3d mario, while recently i've been trying nintendos other first party series like splatoon and xenoblade and found them enjoyable too.
jackal27
(04-21-2017, 02:02 AM)
Nope, but it helps for sure.

Indie support and exclusives are enough to make up for the lack of 3rd parties. Having a PS4 and PC certainly helps as well.
Hilarion
(04-21-2017, 02:09 AM)
Are Square Enix, Capcom, SEGA/Atlus, and Koei-Tecmo "big publishers?" If so, then yes, I need support from them.

I don't think I'd have any problems if no major third party studio besides those companies supported the console.
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
(04-21-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by PooBone

They don't need huge third party support. They need better than they have though. So far the calendar looks DIRE.

Outside of indies it really is. Third parties aren't even giving it a shot this time. Wii U had the likes of COD, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Tekken, etc in the launch window. Switch has nothing to compare to that from third parties so far. We'll see what happens at E3 but I'm not holding my breath.
cacildo
(04-21-2017, 02:11 AM)
No

They just need more single player games made by nintendo
BlackBanditSho
(04-21-2017, 02:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Blobbers

"I'm okay with Nintendo-developed games plus the usual Atlus, Capcom, Square, Level 5, various JP devs".

I think that's the thing that's so exciting about the Switch. Because of the ease of use to develop and Nintendo's Japanese ties, those games are a given. Switch will likely get those games. The big question mark is whether the Western third parties will take it seriously.

For all of those saying that they have a PC or PS4 for gaming, I counter that the mobility of a full console game makes choosing third party options on switch the choice decision. On Sony, I'm at the point where I'm pretty much only interested in Sony first party games. For everything else? I'd actually prefer to play those on Switch. Most of the games from last gen? I'd prefer on Switch. I can't even imagine how amazing Rocket League, Overwatch, Destiny, or CoD would be because you don't have to compromise anything. You get portable and you get a TV-experience. That sounds like something that would be so appealing to publishers looking to extend minimal effort for maximum profit in exploiting back catalogues.

What's surprising is all of the people here who exclaim, "I only want my first party and japanese games". They're going to get those anyway. If switch lives up to it's potential, I think that it could be the 2nd dominant console in the market.
Last edited by BlackBanditSho; 04-21-2017 at 02:15 AM.
digoutyoursoul
(04-21-2017, 02:13 AM)
Not everyone can afford or has more than one system, more third party support should always be a priority
Ploid 3.0
(04-21-2017, 02:16 AM)
If they wanted my attention, yes. I'm not into their games, and from a distance they aren't drawing me into their system. It's not the only thing they would need though.

I admire their push for portability, but I'd rather they did it like Sony but better if possible. Just keep the console as a console, which won't hurt it's capabilities to perform as well as consoles that have been on the market for years. If I want portable games to waste time I have a phone, and I could even wake the PS4 if it got to that point. I even thought about using the phone as the only way I play the Crash Bandicoot remake (phone ds4 mount).
Vilix
I think Bayonetta and Samus are more iconic than Lara Croft.
(04-21-2017, 02:18 AM)
No, not necessarily. But it would be nice.
SciencePilot
(04-21-2017, 02:20 AM)
I'm hoping for decent Japanese support. That's about it though.
BasilZero
(04-21-2017, 02:20 AM)
No.

The past 3 generations, I've mostly purchased first party titles on nintendo platforms.

I buy all my 3rd party titles on Playstation or PC nowadays.
ryechu
(04-21-2017, 02:24 AM)
I want monster hunter. Basically I would be okay with Wii-era 3rd party support. Dokapon Kingdom, Another port of RE4, Zack and Wiki etc. + JRPGS. I have 3 consoles for a reason.

Edit: Actually I remembered Indie titles. NVM, I need just about every indie title that can run on the Switch on the Switch. Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Owlboy are a good start. Only a few thousand more are necessary.
Last edited by ryechu; 04-21-2017 at 02:27 AM.
PooBone
(04-21-2017, 02:26 AM)

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

Outside of indies it really is. Third parties aren't even giving it a shot this time. Wii U had the likes of COD, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Tekken, etc in the launch window. Switch has nothing to compare to that from third parties so far. We'll see what happens at E3 but I'm not holding my breath.

Remember those little XBLA games that Ubisoft would release like Child of Light?

Where's the publisher support, period? Big? Small? Name it. The biggest thing people are excited about it the virtual console, which I already have on my Wii and Wii U.