• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tangled Up in Blue
(04-21-2017, 02:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Amneziak

Of all time—Phantom Menace.

It's easily TPM in a walk. When the teaser came out, most people were still on dial-up, and internet video was a novelty, but people were crashing websites left and right just trying to see it. Star Wars fans were buying tickets to Meet Joe Black just to watch the trailer, and theaters reported seeing as much as half the audience leave after the trailer aired. When the movie came out, people were playing hooky from school/work ("Jedi flu"), people were cosplaying at showings (this was back when cosplay was still in its infancy and WELL outside the mainstream), and Fox sold out almost all the midnight shows back when almost no other movie even had midnight premieres. TPM was a HUGE cultural event.

I went to a Thursday midnight showing and the air in the theater was practically electric when the lights went down. A roar of cheers went up when the "A long time ago" bit hit the screen. When people were leaving at the end, it was dead quiet. People were in shock. Some were crying. It was surreal.
Violence Jack
(04-21-2017, 02:26 AM)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Terminator Salvation
Last edited by Violence Jack; 04-21-2017 at 02:34 AM.
CadetMahoney
(04-21-2017, 02:26 AM)
The Force Awakens

or

Prometheus
theWB27
(04-21-2017, 02:28 AM)
Recent memory was 47 ronin. Trailers were awesome....movie was a waste of theater time.
mantidor
(04-21-2017, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by TheMan

prometheus

YES

I came for this, that trailer was so awesome :/
FreshCakes
(04-21-2017, 02:29 AM)
Batman v Superman (That comic-con trailer was amazing)

Then the movie came out. I loved the direction the first half tried to make with the Superhero dilemma and politics but it went to shit after that first half.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Tangled Up in Blue

It's easily TPM in a walk. When the teaser came out, most people were still on dial-up, and internet video was a novelty, but people were crashing websites left and right just trying to see it. Star Wars fans were buying tickets to Meet Joe Black just to watch the trailer, and theaters reported seeing as much as half the audience leave after the trailer aired. When the movie came out, people were playing hooky from school/work ("Jedi flu"), people were cosplaying at showings (this was back when cosplay was still in its infancy and WELL outside the mainstream), and Fox sold out almost all the midnight shows back when almost no other movie even had midnight premieres. TPM was a HUGE cultural event.

I went to a Thursday midnight showing and the air in the theater was practically electric when the lights went down. A roar of cheers went up when the "A long time ago" bit hit the screen. When people were leaving at the end, it was dead quiet. People were in shock. Some were crying. It was surreal.

One of my friends was in denial for a good decade. Then one day he goes "The prequels were shit weren't they".

I patted him on the back and said it'll be ok son.
Psychoward
McLovin
(04-21-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by TheMan

prometheus

at least with man of steel and others I heard before I watched the movie that they were mediocre/garbage. I had no clue with this one :/
Cuburt
(04-21-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Skel1ingt0n

Cloud Atlas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

A six minute epic of a trailer, from the two directors of my favorite movie of all time, coming off the visually breathtaking Speed Racer.

The movie was an absolute turd, true true.

This is the first one I thought of when I saw this thread.

The trailer had me blown away but what sort of story they were attempting to tell, and while I hadn't read the book it was based on, after hearing how the book had been written and how difficult it would be to adapt, my mind swirled with possibilities for how they would tell it, especially with the author praising the adaptation.

I still enjoyed the movie in the end and how ambitious it was, but a lot of what it seemed the trailer was alluding to with specific characters being reincarnated throughout time, even by the same actors, was something that is a stretch when you see how the actual film plays out. I can understand people hating it, but I think the imagery and the juxtaposition of the stories and characters makes for interesting art in the very least that you can pull your own meaning from, but as far as having cohesive throughlines, they just aren't there. Maybe in the themes, but definitely not in the narrative nor in the characters, no matter how they seem to overlap.
TheChewyWaffles
(04-21-2017, 02:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Certinty

Recently The LEGO Batman Movie.

One of the trailers (I think #4) was amazing. The actual movie though... yeah, it wasn't very good.

This is a good one. Lego Batman was severely underwhelming. Batman cannot carry an entire lego film.
StrangeRoboMemory
(04-21-2017, 02:50 AM)
Phantom Menace and it's no contest for me.
Subpar Spatula
(04-21-2017, 02:53 AM)
I'm a go with The Force Awakens.

Anecdotally, I never hear anyone quote it, bring it up, reference it, etc. I suppose it's because nothing about it was memorable or new / different that people just categorize it as a standard blockbuster.
Mighty Chin
(04-21-2017, 02:56 AM)

And at my showing the three times I saw it people errupted in cheers and applause.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Mighty Chin

And at my showing the three times I saw it people errupted in cheers and applause.

Yes, well we weren't all invited to George's private screenings.
mantidor
(04-21-2017, 02:59 AM)

Originally Posted by McNum

This is no contest.

Every generation has a legend...
Every journey has a first step...
Every saga has a beginning...
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Look at that trailer. Star Wars was returning! And we'd get to see the origin of Darth Vader! And it was going to be so very awesome! How could it not? It was a NEW Star Wars movie!

That trailer was an event. People would go to the movies to see that trailer and leave before the movie started. You could actually download it in potato cam format and watch it at home! There is no bigger trailer than Star Wars Episode I. There may be worse movies to have good trailers, but in sheer trailer hype, you cannot beat it, probably ever. And then we got Jar Jar. And politics. And creepy Yoda. Even if Episode 1 had been good, it would never have lived up to its trailer hype. Nothing short of utterly amazing would have done that.

Star Wars is a huge franchise, the trailer was carried by the nostalgia and hype of a dormant but gigantic sci Fi franchise, but it isn't that great of a trailer.

Prometheus' trailer showed an Alien movie standing on its own, only little hints that looked like a homage, it seemed to embody everything that makes Alien the staple in sci-fi horror it was, without mentioning Alien or showing the xenomorph in any way. Then the movie happened.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the trailer had better direction than the movie.
Last edited by mantidor; 04-21-2017 at 03:01 AM.
MegaManTrigger
(04-21-2017, 03:01 AM)
Easily Batman v. Superman. The movie had the promise, and it squandered that in favour of crappy story that tried to be smart but ended up being pretentious garbage, stupid characters, and 2:30 of boredom.
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(04-21-2017, 03:02 AM)
Terminator Salvation and The Battle of LA.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 03:03 AM)
For the record his story with Phantom Menace is exactly the same as opening night where I was (UK). Cheers at the start, which you don't usually get here, and this deadly silence at the end as people were waking out. Will never forget it.

The only thing close is Prometheus, but that was more baffled confusion as opposed to outright shock. People were hanging around outside trying to make sense of it.

And that isn't to Prometheus' credit, it's as deep as a puddle. Just a shit story, told badly, with terrible characters. The most polished turd I have ever seen.
Last edited by DECK'ARD; 04-21-2017 at 03:39 AM.
disappeared
(04-21-2017, 03:08 AM)

lol I hadn't heard of the Meet Joe Black walk-outs, that shit must have been hilarious.

I was fourteen when I saw Ep 1 in theaters, maybe a few weeks after it released. I was stunned too. My brain just went, "what?"
traveler
Not Wario
(04-21-2017, 03:13 AM)
It's pretty rare for a movie to be a comedown from its trailer. Trailers are almost always inherently cringey to me, because the music goes so big and bold and they try to get you to connect with all these characters and events rapidly. Even if the music and characters and events are truly awe inspiring, if they don't feel natural and earned, otherwise good music or cinematography or whatever actually detracts from the experience for me- if you haven't earned the big feels yet, you need to go lowkey or risk coming off way too strong.

The one trailer that actually really hyped me for some reason and did end up being better than its eventual film was Where the Wild Things Are. It felt like such a perfect expression of the spirit of the book and feeling all those emotions rush together clumsily actually fit the childhood nostalgia they were going for. While I didn't dislike the final product, it did not approach making me feel what those 2 - 3 minutes did.
molnizzle
(04-21-2017, 03:13 AM)
The Phantom Menace takes this in a landslide.

Also Spider-Man 3.

Originally Posted by Skel1ingt0n

Cloud Atlas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

A six minute epic of a trailer, from the two directors of my favorite movie of all time, coming off the visually breathtaking Speed Racer.

The movie was an absolute turd, true true.

Cloud Atlas will be remembered far more fondly than it was originally received. Absolutely brilliant movie IMO.
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(04-21-2017, 03:15 AM)
Prometheus.
Catfish.
The force awakens.
Vigilant Walrus
(04-21-2017, 03:16 AM)
Matrix Reloaded.
PhantomZone
(04-21-2017, 03:19 AM)
Man of Steel by the length of 10 NFL fields.
Merchandise
(04-21-2017, 03:30 AM)
I still like these movies very much, but they just had... the two best trailers of all time.

Cloud Atlas
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
modernmalady
(04-21-2017, 03:33 AM)
BvS is my most recent example.

I got hype for two reasons:

1. "OH SHIT. THEY'RE USING MoS' DESTRUCTION AS A PLOT POINT"

2. It can't get worse than MoS.

Oh how wrong I was.
Rhomega Beta
(04-21-2017, 03:34 AM)
For me, it's Passengers. Looks pretty awesome, but then there's the moral issue the trailers don't show, and that brought down the movie a lot. I haven't seen it, but that's kept me from seeing it.
Tangled Up in Blue
(04-21-2017, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by disappeared

lol I hadn't heard of the Meet Joe Black walk-outs, that shit must have been hilarious.

Oh, yeah, it was nuts. Nowadays you can just go on YouTube or IMDB and watch any trailer you want. But back then, if you wanted to see a trailer in a higher quality than stuttering 144p that took almost an hour to download, you had to go to a theater. I remember industry analysts talking about how MJB's opening weekend numbers were likely artificially inflated because of the TPM trailer. A lot of theaters put up signs at the box office saying there would be no refunds for MJB due to all the people leaving after the trailer and asking for their money back.

Originally Posted by molnizzle

Also Spider-Man 3.

SM3 is probably my number 2 choice. I was jazzed about the trailer and the movie was awful. I can't think of another franchise that has a bigger drop in quality between installments than SM2 to 3. Absolutely amazing to dogshit in 1 movie is quite the feat.
massoluk
(04-21-2017, 03:35 AM)
Man of Steel. I thought it was going to be Superman being uplifting to the people of the World, not this loud and murderous spree.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 03:38 AM)
Highlander 2. Close the thread
And it wasn't even a good trailer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgJVvoihCQ

Oh shit highlander is still immortal and the prize isn't yet won! Sean Connery Yoda ghost! Magic!

Nope.
Last edited by Stinkles; 04-21-2017 at 03:42 AM.
pathf1nder
(04-21-2017, 03:38 AM)
Suicide Squad
boclfon479
(04-21-2017, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by pathf1nder

Suicide Squad

Yuup
aerts1js
(04-21-2017, 03:43 AM)
Force Awakens - I mean, it was "good" but not nearly as great as die hard fans want to you believe. I left the theater underwhelmed.

Spider-Man 3 - Trailers were amazing, plus Venom. Somehow they found a way to screw it up.

The Phantom Menace - Jar Jar. Heh. At least the last battle was cool.
Jonogunn
(04-21-2017, 03:45 AM)
Avengers: Age of Ultron.

That first teaser trailer that made it look so epic and feels much different than the first avengers.

But yahhh u know the story.

It was such an empty feeling afterwards. So Unsatisfied.
Borgnine
MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
(04-21-2017, 03:46 AM)
I want to see the movie from the Godzilla trailer so bad.
jmdajr
(04-21-2017, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by PeskyToaster

The Phantom Menace is the answer to this thread.

Seems like the champ to me
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 03:51 AM)

Originally Posted by molnizzle

At least the phantom menace is about star wars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgJVvoihCQ
Zackat
(04-21-2017, 03:57 AM)
For me it was definitely Sucker Punch.

Though Suicide Squad was definitely worse than I could have ever imagined.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(04-21-2017, 03:58 AM)
+1 for Prometheus.
Brian_FETO
(04-21-2017, 04:00 AM)
Wolverine Origins

I saw the shit quality leaked Comic Con trailer long before release, remember being really hyped for it. And then....
rashbeep
(04-21-2017, 04:02 AM)
Definitely Prometheus and Man of Steel.

TPM might have had hype back then, but the trailer itself wasn't very good.
Off-Kilter
(04-21-2017, 04:03 AM)
I still get chills when I see that first Man Of Steel trailer, the one with LotR music
Ecotic
(04-21-2017, 04:12 AM)
What makes Prometheus #1 for me over The Phantom Menace is that the trailer for Prometheus was the overriding reason in making people want to see the movie and making them believe it was going to phenomenal. The Phantom Menace didn't need the trailer to make people hyped to hell and back to see it. I never saw TPM trailer but was still incredibly hyped to see it because it was the return of Star Wars. It was ubiquitous in pop culture and endless news reports for months leading up to it. I remember when the merchandise was released for the movie and it drew wall to wall coverage on all the morning news shows. Celebrities camped out for them. Everyone had to collect all 24 Pepsi cans and the KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell toys. People genuinely believed anything TPM related they could get their hands on would be worth a fortune one day. The trailer was just one piece of the puzzle that led to the biggest letdown in cinematic history.
dsp
(04-21-2017, 04:13 AM)
Prometheus & The Hobbit. Both trailers came out in the same week and I was absolutely fucking hyped.
Tangled Up in Blue
(04-21-2017, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Off-Kilter

I still get chills when I see that first Man Of Steel trailer, the one with LotR music

Superman has a history of pairing great trailers with bad movies: https://youtu.be/OsKjfJ1sUIk
TheLostBigBoss
Terminator Salvation and Battle LA.
Jarth Mader
The Spirit (2008)

It was advertised (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8GJnlNUa7o) like Sin City 2 (before there was such a thing) and it turned out to be fucking Looney Toons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSOiqkDzrI).

Edit: This one burned me so bad I don't even watch movie trailers anymore.
Last edited by Jarth Mader; 04-21-2017 at 04:48 AM.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Ecotic

What makes Prometheus #1 for me over The Phantom Menace is that the trailer for Prometheus was the overriding reason in making people want to see the movie and making them believe it was going to phenomenal. The Phantom Menace didn't need the trailer to make people hyped to hell and back to see it. I never saw TPM trailer but was still incredibly hyped to see it because it was the return of Star Wars. It was ubiquitous in pop culture and endless news reports for months leading up to it. I remember when the merchandise was released for the movie and it drew wall to wall coverage on all the morning news shows. Celebrities camped out for them. Everyone had to collect all 24 Pepsi cans and the KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell toys. People genuinely believed anything TPM related they could get their hands on would be worth a fortune one day. The trailer was just one piece of the puzzle that led to the biggest letdown in cinematic history.

The Prometheus trailer released on my birthday.

God must absolutely hate me.
Last edited by DECK'ARD; 04-21-2017 at 04:25 AM.
molnizzle
(04-21-2017, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

At least the phantom menace is about star wars.

Is it, though?

Is it really?
Chumley
(04-21-2017, 04:20 AM)
The people not saying Phantom Menace must not be old enough to remember. The discrepancy in hype to result will never be matched, ever. People thought it was going to be the second coming of christ.
Last edited by Chumley; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.