• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CadetMahoney
(04-21-2017, 04:28 AM)
I forgot about Terminator Salvation, trailer made it look promising.
Einchy
(04-21-2017, 04:35 AM)
Triple 9

While the movie isn't horrible, it's just okay, the trailer is legitimately one of the coolest trailers I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vSEQ7xv6U
MoonsaultSlayer
(04-21-2017, 04:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Kart94

Godzilla.

Bryan Cranston dies 30 minutes in and gets replaced by his boring son. I will never forgive the movie for that.

I will say this until it catches on...

Cranston died so his spirit could metaphorically take the form of Godzilla.
kswiston
(04-21-2017, 04:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Chumley

The people not saying Phantom Menace must not be old enough to remember. The discrepancy in hype to result will never be matched, ever. People thought it was going to be the second coming of christ.

In retrospect, that trailer wasn't really hiding what the film was. There's even a bunch of the goofy bits that people complain about. Fans just got carried away with their hype and the film they had built in their head over the previous 15 years.
ryutaro's mama
lap dances are better
when the stripper is crying
(04-21-2017, 04:39 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

In retrospect, that trailer wasn't really hiding what the film was. There's even a bunch of the goofy bits that people complain about. Fans just got carried away with their hype and the film they had built in their head over the previous 15 years.

Yeah. Jar Jar is pretty abundantly displayed but we ignored all that shit when we saw Maul.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(04-21-2017, 04:39 AM)
Prometheus.
kswiston
(04-21-2017, 04:43 AM)

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama

Yeah. Jar Jar is pretty abundantly displayed but we ignored all that shit when we saw Maul.

I was still in high school when TPM dropped, so immaturity might be coloring things (I haven't rewatched the film in over 15 years), but the fight with Maul at the end was still cool in the full film.

Maybe people were expecting more of that and less of Jar Jar.
Caddywompus
(04-21-2017, 04:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Chumley

The people not saying Phantom Menace must not be old enough to remember. The discrepancy in hype to result will never be matched, ever. People thought it was going to be the second coming of christ.

Or just young enough to appreciate what is was. 2 or 1 double ended lightsaber battle, podracing and space dogfights.
Japanmanx3
(04-21-2017, 04:53 AM)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer... Never again.
TheLover
(04-21-2017, 04:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Tarydax

Godzilla 2014.

The trailers were amazing and completely misleading.

I felt the same 👌
jett
D-Member
(04-21-2017, 04:58 AM)
I remember Jar Jar featuring prominently in marketing materials, behind the scenes shit, merch and whatnot. People didn't care. IT WAS NEW STAR WARS. It's new Star Wars, therefore it's automatically great, no matter what. For a while, at least. The only movie that "escaped" this cycle was Attack of the Clones. That shit was widely derided immediately.

I remember feeling complete indifference from watching TPM on opening day. Not hate or disappointment. Just like, "Well, whatever." I really don't remember my friends and I talking about it much either, one way or the other. It did pretty much kill my childhood Star Wars fandom though. I also remember reading the entire plot in a "souvenir magazine" an aunt got for me. I guess I didn't give a single fuck about spoilers back then.
Last edited by jett; 04-21-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Shaanyboi
(04-21-2017, 05:00 AM)
Godzilla

Every DC movie since TDKR

Prometheus

These really are the big ones.
sleepnaught
(04-21-2017, 05:02 AM)
Prometheus
Cloud Atlas
Man of Steel
The Force Awakens
Zen_Arcade
(04-21-2017, 05:05 AM)
The Dark Knight Rises.

I drove four hours to be in the stadium scene, sat in summer heat wearing a winter jacket, and thought the trailer looked like a great follow up to The Dark Knight. Walked out of that theater more disappointed than I've ever been at something media related.
Spine_Ripper
(04-21-2017, 05:07 AM)
I can only imagine the disappointment from The Phantom Menace. I was 6 years old, so I thought it was awesome lol.

The Force Awakens was disappointing, but it's more of me watching the trailers too many times and building stupid expectations, but also because I watched the Marathon in theaters. 7 films back to back without leaving the theater and waking up at 3AM, to watch 12 hours of gigantic, bright colors. I was fatigued and it literally felt like we were watching a film we just saw 4 hours before. In hindsight the movie is good, but at the time it felt like a big letdown. Not gonna watch any trailers for TLJ to prevent that again.
trixx
(04-21-2017, 05:08 AM)
For me I think episode vii
PhoncipleBone
(04-21-2017, 05:08 AM)
Godzilla 1998, or GINO. Man, those trailers were fun. The film, not so much.
Funkyhamster
(04-21-2017, 05:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Za-Neen-Jya

The Force Awakens.

I didn't know how to feel afterwards. After a few days of thinking about it I realized I just didn't like it, no matter how bad I wanted to.

Yeah, this one was rough. I was super-hyped beforehand, to the point of posting all the trailers on Facebook when they came out and stuff. Now I am ashamed of my words and deeds.
theBmZ
(04-21-2017, 05:11 AM)
Spider-Man 3. Trailers made it look awesome. I was in denial about how bad it was for a short time after its release. Movie is a huge disappointment.
A Serious Man
(04-21-2017, 05:21 AM)
I'll leave aside all the franchise picks (Star Wars, The Matrix sequels, etc.) and say 300. The only reason it was on anyones radar was because it had the most hype trailer ever. Merely being a decent action movie was a big letdown.
Cat Party
(04-21-2017, 05:26 AM)
Chronicles of Riddick

Trailer was phenomenal but the movie was so bad. I was so hyped given how much I loved Pitch Black.
Mr_Antimatter
(04-21-2017, 05:29 AM)
Final Fantasy: the Spirits within.

I remember drooling over each clip, each trailer, but man, what a letdown of a film.

Looked beautiful, but just....fell flat in the end.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(04-21-2017, 05:34 AM)
Episode 1
Superman Returns
Staccat0
Fail out bailed
(04-21-2017, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by TheMan

prometheus

I mean but really... Prometheus ya'll
televator
(04-21-2017, 05:41 AM)

prometheus

First goddamn post.
CD'S BAR
(04-21-2017, 05:57 AM)
Force Awakens...the initial teaser had amazing music and shots not used in the final movie. It also appeared to be not a remake.

Godzilla 2014...the Oppenheimer teaser was chilling and mysterious. The actual film was cheesy and an absolute chore to sit through.
Rogan
(04-21-2017, 05:59 AM)
The Dark Knight Rises. Thnx GAF.
bananafactory
(04-21-2017, 06:00 AM)
Batman v Superman

The first trailer had me so fucking hyped
Tezzeractor
(04-21-2017, 06:01 AM)
Zardoz. The trailer is fantastic.
ScottSullivan
(04-21-2017, 06:04 AM)
Definitely Godzilla 2015(or whatever year)

I let myself get so hyped after the good trailers, and that epic bryan cranston speech, and it was just so...eh
Geno Breaker
(04-21-2017, 06:08 AM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

Godzilla 1998, or GINO. Man, those trailers were fun. The film, not so much.

I wasn't around for the GINO hype but from what I've read it must have been one hell of a disappointment, especially when you consider TriStar's original plan for Godzilla.
PatThePassive
(04-21-2017, 06:13 AM)
I agree with you about Interstellar, that one comes to mind.

I expected a motivational we wont stop exploring story with the build up to an extremely dangerous mission that succeeds or not, captures the world.

The martian actually captured and hit that nerve in me when the Chinese space organization chooses to share their new advance rocket? That whole message of the desire to explore was what I thought I was signing up for interstellar, it was ok still.
Cormano
(04-21-2017, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by DMONKUMA

Force Awakens.

This
Ryuelli
(04-21-2017, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Nielm

Maybe The Revenant?

After this trailer, I expected much more from it.

The Revenant was everything I wanted and more. Easily one of the best movies I've seen in the past few years.
Messofanego
(04-21-2017, 06:22 AM)
Terminator Salvation - Nine Inch Nails, dude.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - "feel bad movie of Christmas" and Karen O Immigrant Song got me so hyped. Brilliant trailer.

Watchmen - Smashing Pumpkins, dude.
Zenner
(04-21-2017, 06:29 AM)
The first trailer for John Carter had me quite interested; lookin' good, British Disney! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E

Then... another trailer... totally different tone and attitude... ruh-roh, American Disney :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlvYKl1fjBI

Obviously, the movie itself happened - I waited a few weeks for it to hit the dollar-theater, still holding out for a smidgen of big screen majesty. Got robbed, even then. :'(

Used to love the Barsoom books as a kid.
Ryuelli
(04-21-2017, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

Terminator Salvation - Nine Inch Nails, dude.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - "feel bad movie of Christmas" and Karen O Immigrant Song got me so hyped. Brilliant trailer.

Watchmen - Smashing Pumpkins, dude.

You just reminded me of "9" (coheed!). That's probably up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qApXdc1WPY
Surface of Me
(04-21-2017, 06:32 AM)
Suicide Squad for me. I dont even know how many times I watched that Bohemian Rhapsody trailer.
scoobs
(04-21-2017, 06:36 AM)
Really surprised at the hate for TDKR. I guess when you compare it to TDK its a bit of a letdown, but its definitely one of the better comic book movies of the last decade, and certainly better than anything DC has released since by like a country fucking mile.

Mine would easily be Suicide Squad. Looked like DC finally figured out how to make a fun movie, but oh boy was I ever wrong.
Kabuki Waq
(04-21-2017, 06:40 AM)
Recently it's force awakens.

All time it's got to be Phantom Menace. Phantom Menace was such garbage that people actually lowered their expectations for the force awakens.
iBeleaf
(04-21-2017, 06:43 AM)
Age of Ultron. Garbage movie. Easily one of the worst MCU movie.
gfxtwin
(04-21-2017, 06:55 AM)
This might as well be Phantom Menace: The Thread. NOTHING tops that.

Also the marketing for that movie Red Eye (directed by Wes Craven) made it seem like a monster movie, but it was really a thriller grounded in reality. And Drive was pretty much marketed as a Fast and Furious movie for some reason lol. Neither of those were letdowns though, kinda the opposite.

Speaking of Transformers - is it true that the one featuring dinosaur robots as a main attraction only had them at the very beginning and end of the movie?
Last edited by gfxtwin; 04-21-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Sojgat
(04-21-2017, 07:14 AM)
Man of Steel
DiamondDog74
(04-21-2017, 07:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Vimes

Your Highness

I desperately wanted the fantasy stoner comedy to be a thing, but every single good joke was already in the trailer. Absolute let down.

Buddy and i saw that in the theater. it was empty. We left because it was devoid of humor
Zantetsuken
(04-21-2017, 07:19 AM)

prometheus

This and The Force Awakens
Dash_Riprock
(04-21-2017, 07:23 AM)
Man of Steel, with The Phantom Menace a VERY close second.
L4DANathan
(04-21-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by TheChewyWaffles

The movie, though, had a number of issues with plot, pacing, etc. So Interstellar gets my vote for biggest trailer -> actual movie letdown. My disappointment leaving the theater was palpable.

Wow, OP. We're complete opposites, the Interstellar trailers were really boring I felt. Then I fucking LOVED the movie.

prometheus

+1, that movie was TRASH.
TDLink
(04-21-2017, 07:30 AM)
Man of Steel by far. That 3 minute trailer is still a masterpiece.

The movie itself is a mess.
TheJoRu
(04-21-2017, 07:32 AM)
For me it's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Bore. The trailers looked fun, I hadn't really expected how far off a cliff they would go with it.
CaviarMeths
(04-21-2017, 07:44 AM)
Man of Steel was a pretty decent flick, so its great trailers weren't too much of a letdown for me.

Prometheus was a bad movie though, and as a huge Alien and Ridley Scott fan, that was quite a dick punch.

Originally Posted by Surface of Me

Suicide Squad for me. I dont even know how many times I watched that Bohemian Rhapsody trailer.

I think everyone was just tricked into thinking here that good song = good trailer. That Bohemian Rhapsody trailer was an incoherent mess of shitty footage. If anything, it should have been the best indicator of what the movie would actually be like.
Last edited by CaviarMeths; 04-21-2017 at 07:46 AM.