• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Triteon
(04-21-2017, 02:34 AM)
I usually have a muliplayer game and a single player game of some kind so i can switch between them.

Right now is Battlegrounds and Persona 5.
texhnolyze
(04-21-2017, 02:36 AM)
No.

I've been playing RPGs almost exclusively ever since the past decade. It's not like there's only one kind of RPG available. Even RPGs from the same franchise could have totally different gameplay mechanics (See Final Fantasy).
PooBone
(04-21-2017, 02:40 AM)

Originally Posted by RedToad64

Dude, you have plenty of options...

I'm down for any suggestions you've got on any of the consoles. So far this year Resident Evil 7 is the only game I'd call great that fits into that set of features. I hear good things about Nier Automota though.
Ahjumbie
(04-21-2017, 02:50 AM)
Yupp..going through that now actually. I played Dark Souls 3 for over 200 hrs then jumped right into FFXV for another 65 or so .After that picked up Nioh and got 6 hrs in and promptly stopped . Picked up Horizon played for about 10 hrs then stopped..I loved what I played from both of these games but I have like zero desire to play them now.I go to start them and think "ugh" and end up practicing Street Fighter/KOF instead. I should've taken a break and went with something nice and straight forward like Uncharted 4 or finishing up Halo 5
Laekon
(04-21-2017, 02:55 AM)
No, especially as I get older. I know I'd love BotW but I can't get myself to buy a Switch cause I don't like the genre of most of the games Nintendo puts out. RPG's, specifically Western ones are the only thing I seem to play. I finished ME:A and traded it in and started Horizon the next day. I guess I play some more action orientated games like Deus Ex but they are still pretty much WRPGs.
Sir Griffith
(04-21-2017, 03:01 AM)
I just weave Overwatch in and out between the other games I play (typically RPGs). Don't really have much fatigue anymore because of that.
Jingo
(04-21-2017, 11:15 AM)
Its good to see its just not me, i was starting to think i was just tired of a genre!
Triggerhappytel
(04-21-2017, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Spukc

Yeah breath of fire ruined open world games for me.
They all feel shit now compared to that game..

So yeah i have open world fatigue i guess :(
So at the moment i am playing stardew valley and slime rancher

Presumably you mean Breath of the Wild?!

Yeah, I typically need to switch up genres unless I'm playing very brief games like Ethan Carter to Firewatch. I'm playing Horizon ZD at the moment, and I'm about 30 hours in, I think. By the time I'm done with it I'll probably play a smaller digital game or an FPS to change things up, as I definitely won't want another long game or open-world game.
killatopak
(04-21-2017, 11:30 AM)
Probably when I have more disposable income. I just came off buying a Switch and a Ps4 Pro so open world/air games are the only ones I'm interested in the moment just to extend game time.

If I ever get fatigued then I could just start my pc and play League.
gelf
(04-21-2017, 11:52 AM)
It's very rare that I'll play two similar games back to back. Everything gets old eventually so I need some variety.
13ruce
(04-21-2017, 11:55 AM)
Honestly i probably never are gonna get bored of a genre at all. I buy like 1-2 game a month normally this year more because well it's one of the best years in gaming ever. But i am also very picky so that might also be a factor why i enjoy all games i buy.

If i replay like 5 open world games back to back then yeah probably.
Notor!ousG
(04-21-2017, 11:56 AM)
Yes, I always do.
Can't play two horror games in a row or I'll get burned out.

Now playing Zelda, afterwards going for a short indie game (probably Wonder Boy) to spice things up.
GoldenCrow
(04-21-2017, 12:04 PM)
I usually have a few different types of games going at once and flit between them depending on my mood. I usually have a long single player adventure at the moment this is Nioh, a racing game this is currently Dirt Rally VR, and then something I can faff about in with no goals at the moment that is EVE Valkyrie. I usually switch them out with other games when I feel I am done. I will also play the 2 to 4 hour games that can be finshed in one sitting as they are perfect for changing thing up.
Zedark
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)
I tend to Switch between open world games and JRPGS, with different genres sprinkled in between. I don't like playing one open world game after another, as it can be tiring, so variety is a must imo!
Rathorial
(04-21-2017, 12:41 PM)
Sometimes, but usually I'm play 2 games at any one time, so I can always have some variety in genre, or at least one long game paired with a shorter one.
dmaul1114
(04-21-2017, 12:44 PM)
Yep. Currently super burned out on open world games after playing FFXV, Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Horizon, Zelda and ME:A with only a few games in between.

Playing Persona 5 now and enjoying the linearity.

Plan on stepping away from long story driven games for a while after that and focusing on stuff like Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart 8 and some other racers (need to dust of my racing wheel set up and get some use out of it), maybe trying to get into Street Fighter 5 again.

I'm both burnt out on long, narrative-driven games and just don't enjoy those type of "get hooked and play for hours several days a week) type games when it's nice outside.
Chuck the Bean
(04-21-2017, 12:47 PM)
that's exactly why I bought For Honor when it cam out. Coming out of many months of playing The Division. Also why I passed on GR: Wildlands.
Bluenoser
(04-21-2017, 12:53 PM)
Trio of Dying light (LTTP), Horizon, and Zelda completely killed my open world interest. I have yet to finish Horizon or Zelda because I was burned out on putting so many hours in, and had to change it up.
mclem
(04-21-2017, 01:17 PM)
Sort of, in that I try to mix up what I play over time - so I don't 'switch genre due to fatigue', but I do switch genres and recognise that that probably helps avoid fatigue.

Proactive rather than reactive, if you see what I mean.
Mash83
(04-21-2017, 01:30 PM)
Definitely, I usually dont like to play shooters back to back or stealth games. I specifically do this with open world games. Made an exception this month because I platinum-ed Horizon and then jumped into Zelda. Of course, that is a special case because of the quality of both games. To be fair they were quite different gameplay wise.
mike6467
(04-21-2017, 01:39 PM)
I have a higher awareness of this now. I really did Horizon a disservice by not. I should've known this when I was seriously irked early on by having to run around pressing triangle every ten seconds because berries. Also I just about put the game down when I saw the "follow the trail" missions. I should've known to put the game on hold at that point.. The general open world stuff was abrasive as hell, so while I knew the game was great at what it was doing I still had to force my way through it.

I had like 3 missions left when Persona 5 came out. I saturated myself in that for basically 3 weeks before coming back to finish Horizon. I still have some real issues with the game, but I would've enjoyed my time in it a lot more if I hadn't been so fatigued on the genre. With that said, it had been a long time before Horizon that I'd played any open world stuff, so I may need a much longer break.
Last edited by mike6467; 04-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
VGdrumCovers
(04-21-2017, 01:40 PM)
Yup. I'm so tired of AAA open world atm. I want something linear or another DOOM.

DOOM blew me away
letmetrythisname
(04-21-2017, 01:40 PM)
Absolutely. I have phases where I'm really into a genre for a while so I play a ton of games in it and then if I get burned out I move onto another. I do the same thing with music.
DJIzana
(04-21-2017, 01:46 PM)
Mmm... nope. That's because I have a variety of genres I like from my open world / RPG games to action / adventure, puzzle, multiplayer, platformers, party... yeah. Plenty for me to choose from.