• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(05-19-2017, 04:25 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by IGN

IGN: "Why did you make that decision. You're like 'We're going to lock it at 4K/30 max on consoles.' Is it just like, you don't want to push the consoles too hard, or why do you make that choice?"

Luke Smith: "I mean, I'm going to wade into this, and you [Mark Noseworthy] can flesh it out. The console, the PS4 Pro is super powerful, but it couldn't run our game at 60. Our game's this rich physics simulation where collision of players, networking, etc, and like, it wouldn't run."

IGN: "Yeah, makes sense."

Luke Smith: "Not enough horsepower there."

Mark Noseworthy: "But there's tons of GPU power in the PS4 Pro. That's why we're doing 4K, right? It's on the CPU side. Destiny's simulation, like we have more AI, more monsters in an environment with physically simulated vehicles and characters and projectiles, and it's part of the Destiny magic, like that, like 30 seocnds of fun, like coming around a corner and throwing a grenade, popping a guy in the head, and then you add like 5, 6, 7 other players in a public event; that is incredibly intensive for hardware."

Source: https://youtu.be/7FcfEU1FLy0?t=4198
RRockman
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:25 PM)
RRockman's Avatar
Let the freak out begin :p
Last edited by RRockman; 05-19-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Forgot my :p
Massa
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by RRockman

Let the freak out begin

Yes, how will anyone play a Bungie game at 30fps. This is unheard of.
Herp Derpington
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:26 PM)
Herp Derpington's Avatar
I'm fine with it. Destiny 1 plays incredibly smooth at 30fps, I expect this to as well. I'm sure others will disagree though.
diaspora
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
diaspora's Avatar

But there's tons of GPU power in the PS4 Pro

HAHAHAHAHAHA
chronic_archaic
Junior Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
chronic_archaic's Avatar
I don't believe this. Solid 30 on original Destiny on Xbox 360 and PS3 but now it's CPU limits with what looks to be the same engine. I have a feeling it's PS4 Pro being native 4k and they don't want to have the option for 60fps at all because of that.
RecRoulette
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
RecRoulette's Avatar
Did they explain why all PvP is 4v4 yet? Or is it the same reason. Couldn't find anything in all of the info that came out yesterday.
The Hamburglar
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
The Hamburglar's Avatar
they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.
Tecnniqe
Would die a thousand deaths just for one gun
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
Tecnniqe's Avatar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
N.Grim
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
N.Grim's Avatar
Idon'tbelieveyou.gif
TheRed
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
TheRed's Avatar
I'm sure it'll play fine. But I'm still not convinced they couldn't do it for Crucible.
Complicated
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
Complicated's Avatar
Not enough horsepower for 4v4 multiplayer? It doesn't even have crazy vehicle physics like Halo...
iTehDroiD
Junior Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
yea I understand PVE but PVP should easily be possible (4v4!). They probably just wanted to have the same framerate in PVE and PVP. Still a bummer though -_-
bananafactory
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
bananafactory's Avatar
Expected. Not sure why anyone was surprised. Most 60fps shooters (or games in general) on PS4 are largely linear and don't feature the kind of massive free roam environments going on in Destiny
Shalashaska161
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
Shalashaska161's Avatar
I figured it was CPU reasons. No reason not to raise the frame rate on the Pro's if it was the GPU that was bottlenecking things.

At least there is the PC version this time for those that want better frame rates.
Equanimity
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Equanimity's Avatar
I am satisfied with his explanation. Destiny controlled exceptionally well for a 30fps FPS title.
Last edited by Equanimity; 05-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Shikoba
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Shikoba's Avatar
Hmmmm. I don't really get the fuss... Destiny plays really great for a 30fps game. Probably the best console shooter in terms of controller handling and how smooth the gunplay is.
stargateheaven
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
stargateheaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by diaspora

HAHAHAHAHAHA

i don't get the joke.
PackAPunchedMick
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
4k on PS4 Pro you say?

Bought!
spectator
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Generic Bungie interview template:


Q: Will this game have ____ ?


A: We hear players who have been asking that. We totally understand and it's really important to us. We're constantly asking ourselves the question of whether we can have ____ .

Also, no.
Tagyhag
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Tagyhag's Avatar
Destiny 2 being 30fps on the single player makes total sense if all they talk about in scale and scope is not bs. People have to remember that the Pro and even Scorpio are still using shitty CPU's. There's only so much you can do with them.

However, what's their excuse for Crucible? There's no reason for it to not be 60fps other than that'd be more work for them.
darkwing
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
darkwing's Avatar
then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version
Kenzodielocke
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Kenzodielocke's Avatar
This topic is a drag to discuss, because people will bring other, better looking games into play and so on. Whatever, it is what it is.
josecitoxnyo
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
josecitoxnyo's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkwing

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version

All console versions are 30fps.
Xando
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Xando's Avatar
Console CPUs are weak as fuck so this is no suprise
Spukc
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Spukc's Avatar
NEXT GEN inspector gadget NEXT GEN!!!

Kyoufu
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by diaspora

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Why are you laughing?
jediyoshi
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
jediyoshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Hamburglar

they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.

Go on?
Hermii
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Hermii's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkwing

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version

The CPU is bottlenecking the framerate so no.
MindofKB
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
MindofKB's Avatar
60FPS coming exclusively to PC and Scorpio?
CassidyIzABeast
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
CassidyIzABeast's Avatar
Stankin ass jaguar cores.
Zeus The Dino
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:30 PM)
Zeus The Dino's Avatar
I remember when i thought next gen would mean 60fps for everything
PackAPunchedMick
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:30 PM)

Originally Posted by darkwing

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version


A pipe dream and you know it.
Scrotum Phillips
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:30 PM)
Scrotum Phillips's Avatar
I think 30FPS makes sense for everything except for the Crucible. Crucible is 4v4 and it's relatively contained. I honestly don't understand the justification for that.
Jonboy
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
Jonboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheRed

I'm sure it'll play fine. But I'm still not convinced they couldn't do it for Crucible.

Exactly. At the very least, they should've made it 60 for PVP.

We all know 60 vs 30 isn't just about the hardware. It's a conscious choice in development. I can't speak for all Destiny players, but I would happily take less on the visual side for a locked 60fps experience.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
wenis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

This topic is a drag to discuss, because people will bring other, better looking games into play and so on. Whatever, it is what it is.

Kenzodielocke.jpg


but for real, who gives a shit. if the games good, the game is good. get over your FPS's people.
DNAbro
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
DNAbro's Avatar
Gonna wait for people here to say they know more about this and that Bungie is lying.
jmaine_ph
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
jmaine_ph's Avatar
PVP could be 60 fps. I'm calling BS.
Kayant
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
Kayant's Avatar
Inb4 Scorpio is "Custom" X86 so problem.

Originally Posted by chronic_archaic

I don't believe this. Solid 30 on original Destiny on Xbox 360 and PS3 but now it's CPU limits with what looks to be the same engine. I have a feeling it's PS4 Pro being native 4k and they don't want to have the option for 60fps at all because of that.

Expect those verisons had things scaled down i.e in PS3's case things like shadows took a big hit.
Tagyhag
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
Tagyhag's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

This topic is a drag to discuss, because people will bring other, better looking games into play and so on. Whatever, it is what it is.

The problem is that people bring out games that aren't as big or using as much AI as Destiny 2 PRESUMABLY is doing.
iMax
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
iMax's Avatar
Could they theoretically use GPU compute to overcome this (at cost of course)?

Also I wonder if TV frame enhancing technologies could work to fill this gap in the future... On a good TV it can fill frames at about 100ms but if they can cut this down (with HDMI VRR too), could be a decent solution.
NoctisVsStar
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
NoctisVsStar's Avatar
Fair enough.
chandoog
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
chandoog's Avatar
I'm OK with 4K/30.

Probably checker boarded implementation like Horizon or dynamic like COD: Infinite Warfare.
Lucifon
Junior Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
Lucifon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeus The Dino

I remember when i thought next gen would mean 60fps for everything

No matter how much power you have on a console, some devs will always try to push the boat out with their engine in other areas at 30 instead of sacrificing things to hit 60.
jmxxii
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
jmxxii's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkwing

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version

We will see.. I'm glad I haven't pre-ordered yet.
Alienous
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
Alienous's Avatar
If it doesn't achieve 60fps on PS4 Pro I wonder if Sony will flex any muscle to keep that the same on Scorpio.
timberger
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
Not sure why anyone expected otherwise, but w/e. Looking forward to the game.

Originally Posted by darkwing

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version

Yeah, good thing it doesn't use the same CPU as... uh oh...
RedRooster
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
RedRooster's Avatar

Originally Posted by PackAPunchedMick

4k on PS4 Pro you say?

Bought!

4k/30 is very intriguing, even though cod is 4k/60 isn't it? But still, can finally make use of my TV! This should look pretty awesome.
TwitchZeezbruh
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
TwitchZeezbruh's Avatar
I 100% believe they could get to 60 with a decent amount of engineering effort, but decided to spend it on other things. Bungie's priorities :(

Thread Tools