• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TrounceX
Member
(09-13-2012, 01:39 AM)
TrounceX's Avatar

Originally Posted by TimeKillr

I'm really interested in those, but my only concern is that I have a 660Ti, and nobody is listing them as compatible with those panels through a DVI-D connection. I know my card has a DVI-D port, and looking at it's specs the max resolution it can do is 2560x1600 so in theory it should work, but I'm concerned a bit still.

That plus I don't know what kind of performance I'd get in games too - I keep reading that my card has problems with resolutions higher than 1080p, so I don't know what I'd get a 1440p. (I have an i7 2660k, btw - CPU power really isn't an issue).

Anybody has any experience with that?

A 660ti will definitely work with these monitors, it's just too new to be listed as compatible. And from what I've seen the 660ti struggles with high resolution + AA.

The good news is that AA is really not that important at 1440p. I say go for it.
mike23
Member
(09-13-2012, 02:23 AM)
mike23's Avatar
I'll probably be buying 3 of the Crossover 27Q-P in the next few months, assuming I get/take the job I'm interviewing for next week. I like the portrait mode for coding. I wish they'd come out with some 2560x1600 though.
TimeKillr
Member
(09-13-2012, 02:35 AM)
TimeKillr's Avatar

Originally Posted by TrounceX

A 660ti will definitely work with these monitors, it's just too new to be listed as compatible. And from what I've seen the 660ti struggles with high resolution + AA.

The good news is that AA is really not that important at 1440p. I say go for it.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I was reading - AA really kills framerate at anything above 1080p, but as you said, I don't know if I need AA that much at 1440p... If anything it would be an extremely nice monitor to have, and I can *always* fall back to my 24inch shitty BenQ monitor if I need to.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(09-13-2012, 02:50 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar
The Overlord Tempest X270ME looks hot. If there's any one of these things that I'm getting, it's going to be that one. Need them HDMI inputs! What's the highest res you can get with HDMI? It would be pointless if I can't get my max resolution on this thing.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(09-13-2012, 02:54 AM)
Slayer-33's Avatar
Holy shit those 27" monitors must feel huge coming from a 23.6

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q...item4ab5d8462b

Dayum not a bad price..

Damn the Catleap looks high fucking end son.
Last edited by Slayer-33; 09-13-2012 at 02:58 AM.
MrBig
Member
(09-13-2012, 02:56 AM)
MrBig's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

The Overlord Tempest X270ME looks hot. If there's any one of these things that I'm getting, it's going to be that one. Need them HDMI inputs! What's the highest res you can get with HDMI? It would be pointless if I can't get my max resolution on this thing.

HDMI does not have the bandwidth to display 2560x1440 at 60hz.
TrounceX
Member
(09-13-2012, 03:09 AM)
TrounceX's Avatar

Originally Posted by TimeKillr

Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I was reading - AA really kills framerate at anything above 1080p, but as you said, I don't know if I need AA that much at 1440p... If anything it would be an extremely nice monitor to have, and I can *always* fall back to my 24inch shitty BenQ monitor if I need to.

Yeah it's super hard to tell AA at that resolution. My friend and I just did a test on BF3 Ultra settings. On a blind test I was not able to tell the difference between 4x and 8x MSAA which is where a 660ti would really struggle.

Oh and trust me, once you see an IPS display at 1440p you'll wonder how you lived with that BenQ. There will be no going back.
eastmen
Banned
(09-13-2012, 03:10 AM)
Do any of them have display port yet ?
kms_md
Member
(09-13-2012, 03:12 AM)
kms_md's Avatar
Thanks to this thread, I have an Auria waiting to be picked up at my local MicroCenter. I will report back.
Fox Mulder
Member
(09-13-2012, 03:18 AM)
Fox Mulder's Avatar
This thread is great. I'll look into getting one for 360 and pc use.
ReBurn
Member
(09-13-2012, 03:28 AM)
ReBurn's Avatar
I am tempted to purchase one of these.
Jaxter09
Member
(09-13-2012, 03:34 AM)
I've had mine for a couple of months now, amazing screen. it gives so much more workspace for software such as Ableton live.

Games also look fantastic on it, particularly colourful ones like Bulletstorm and Rayman Origins. Only trouble is that it requires nearly 50% more processing power than 1080p, so you need a beast of a graphics card to run super high-end games (Witcher 2, Crysis 2 etc) on max settings at 60fps. Most older games and a surprising amount of new games require tweaking to run at 2560x1440 as well.
TrounceX
Member
(09-13-2012, 04:53 AM)
TrounceX's Avatar

Originally Posted by bkfount

This thread is great. I'll look into getting one for 360 and pc use.

Console gaming on these monitors is a tricky situation.

Technically yes, you can do it with a HDMI -> Dual Link DVI adapter. However, 720p blown up to 1440p is not a pretty sight. You're also not going to be able to tweak the image like you could through your PC's drivers. Most of these monitors come poorly calibrated from the factory too. We're not talking like a little bit off 6500k calibration either, we're talking like noticeably distracting tints.

So what you can do then is buy one of the models with multiple inputs and an OSD. But the problem now is your stuck with input lag.

You're kinda fucked either way with consoles :\
coldfoot
Banned
(09-13-2012, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by TrounceX

However, 720p blown up to 1440p is not a pretty sight

It must be prettier than 720p blown up to 1080p, 2x (4x) perfect scaling.
NinjaFridge
Guest
(09-13-2012, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by TrounceX

Console gaming on these monitors is a tricky situation.

Technically yes, you can do it with a HDMI -> Dual Link DVI adapter. However, 720p blown up to 1440p is not a pretty sight. You're also not going to be able to tweak the image like you could through your PC's drivers. Most of these monitors come poorly calibrated from the factory too. We're not talking like a little bit off 6500k calibration either, we're talking like noticeably distracting tints.

So what you can do then is buy one of the models with multiple inputs and an OSD. But the problem now is your stuck with input lag.

You're kinda fucked either way with consoles :\

How bad is the input lag?
Fox Mulder
Member
(09-13-2012, 04:05 PM)
Fox Mulder's Avatar

Originally Posted by TrounceX

Console gaming on these monitors is a tricky situation.

Technically yes, you can do it with a HDMI -> Dual Link DVI adapter. However, 720p blown up to 1440p is not a pretty sight. You're also not going to be able to tweak the image like you could through your PC's drivers. Most of these monitors come poorly calibrated from the factory too. We're not talking like a little bit off 6500k calibration either, we're talking like noticeably distracting tints.

So what you can do then is buy one of the models with multiple inputs and an OSD. But the problem now is your stuck with input lag.

You're kinda fucked either way with consoles :\

thanks. I shouldn't be console gaming on a monitor anyways, but do it to save some space.
TrounceX
Member
(09-13-2012, 05:43 PM)
TrounceX's Avatar

Originally Posted by coldfoot

It must be prettier than 720p blown up to 1080p, 2x (4x) perfect scaling.

Well remember that the 360 can't scale to 1440p. You're literally blowing up the image to 4x it's original size with no scaling. You can replicate this on your computer easily, just take a random image in paint and blow it up to 4x it's original size. Not pretty.


Originally Posted by NinjaFridge

How bad is the input lag?

Honestly I think it depends on the person. Just take a look at some reviews for the Dell U2711 for example which is an IPS monitor with an OSD. Some people say gaming is fine, other's say it's unplayable. It probably depends most on what type of games you'll be playing.

Now I've personally tested my friends HP zr2740w, and the lag was noticeable to me. I put My Achieva side by side with the HP, extended my desktop across both, and dragged the mouse from one display to the other. Once the cursor hit the HP there was a very obvious delay. The cursor felt sluggish if you will.

And that's about all I can offer on that subject.
madmook
Admire my girth. Mmm.
(09-13-2012, 06:05 PM)
madmook's Avatar
A few months ago I bought an Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS, the model with HDMI input (and thus an internal scaler) because I wanted to be able to easily play PS3/360 on it.

Well come to find out that for this specific model, they removed backlight adjustment from the OSD. Meaning, the monitor is mostly stuck at 100% backlight brightness level. I made some posts at HardForum about it (I found a slight workaround, can toggle between max and min brightness): http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...post1038705780

But man I was/am fuckin pissed. It would've been too much hassle dealing with a return (bought from eBay, shipped from S. Korea), so I've just kept the thing, though I don't use it currently (now using a BenQ GW2750HM to get my 27" fix).

WHAT KIND OF INCOMPETENT MANUFACTURER OF LCD MONITORS TAKES OUT BACKLIGHT ADJUSTMENT? EVERY SINGLE LCD I'VE EVER HAD (A FUCKTON), SINCE LIKE 1996 HAS HAD BACKLIGHT BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTMENT. IT IS PRESENT ON OTHER QH270 MODELS, JUST NOT THE FUCKING ONE WITH HDMI.

I don't know if it's the same for those other brands (Catleap, Crossover, etc), but fuck Achieva.

Colors and shit are nice on the screen, though.
tokkun
Member
(09-13-2012, 06:14 PM)
tokkun's Avatar

Originally Posted by TrounceX

Console gaming on these monitors is a tricky situation.

Technically yes, you can do it with a HDMI -> Dual Link DVI adapter. However, 720p blown up to 1440p is not a pretty sight. You're also not going to be able to tweak the image like you could through your PC's drivers. Most of these monitors come poorly calibrated from the factory too. We're not talking like a little bit off 6500k calibration either, we're talking like noticeably distracting tints.

So what you can do then is buy one of the models with multiple inputs and an OSD. But the problem now is your stuck with input lag.

You're kinda fucked either way with consoles :\

Also, not all revisions of the internal electronics for the DVI-only monitors support even the simple 720p -> 1440p scaling, and I think most sellers will not give you a guarantee on the revision. The 2B revision for example, which was famous for being overclockable, does not support any scaling.

The best solution is probably the multi-input versions. Yes, there is input lag, but the amount of lag seems to be pretty comparable with most HDTVs.
coldfoot
Banned
(09-13-2012, 06:48 PM)

Originally Posted by TrounceX

Well remember that the 360 can't scale to 1440p. You're literally blowing up the image to 4x it's original size with no scaling. You can replicate this on your computer easily, just take a random image in paint and blow it up to 4x it's original size. Not pretty.

The best way to scale from 720p to 1440p is exactly that. It beats upscaling 720p to 1080p on the same physical size monitor any day. I guarantee that a 720p output will look better on a 1440p display scaled by just quadrupling the pixels vs. a 1080p display of the same physical size upscaled with any given algorithm.
Lucis
Member
(09-13-2012, 06:51 PM)
Lucis's Avatar
I honestly don't think those are great monitor for consoles and such, you guys can get something bigger at 1080p for just a bit more, some 37" 1080p are like 400$ only.

As for this, I have decided to buy an Achieva Shimian QH270-lite. i wonder if I am going to regret not getting the tempered glasses. The whole dust vs look thing.. Will update some pictures when I get it
Willectro
Banned
(09-13-2012, 07:04 PM)
Willectro's Avatar
I don't know if I could pay ~$400 for 6ms response. I think I'll stick with my 24" Asus for now.
Lucis
Member
(09-13-2012, 07:09 PM)
Lucis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Willectro

I don't know if I could pay ~$400 for 6ms response. I think I'll stick with my 24" Asus for now.

From what I read, the response time actually feel better on those single input displays, less muxes to go through.
Seth C
Member
(09-13-2012, 07:32 PM)
Seth C's Avatar
Well I was looking at these, but it seems my graphics card (5770) isn't supported, according to this from Green Sum.

TrounceX
Member
(09-14-2012, 04:16 AM)
TrounceX's Avatar

Originally Posted by coldfoot

The best way to scale from 720p to 1440p is exactly that. It beats upscaling 720p to 1080p on the same physical size monitor any day. I guarantee that a 720p output will look better on a 1440p display scaled by just quadrupling the pixels vs. a 1080p display of the same physical size upscaled with any given algorithm.

Well, luckily I can test this because I know someone who's parents have a 27in 1080p monitor. Will report back. For now just know that I've tried my 360 with an Achieva and it looked pretty dang bad.

Originally Posted by Lucis

From what I read, the response time actually feel better on those single input displays, less muxes to go through.

This is true.

Originally Posted by Lucis

I honestly don't think those are great monitor for consoles and such, you guys can get something bigger at 1080p for just a bit more, some 37" 1080p are like 400$ only.

As for this, I have decided to buy an Achieva Shimian QH270-lite. i wonder if I am going to regret not getting the tempered glasses. The whole dust vs look thing.. Will update some pictures when I get it

You've made the right decision. Tempered glass looks cool but is way too reflective. I'm looking at myself through the screen right now and it's pitch black in my room. It bothers me constantly.
Mii
J360 dude lifelong
(09-14-2012, 01:49 PM)
Mii's Avatar
My Shimian QH270-lite was just up in Korea. It has since moved from Seoul to Incheon. Estimates through Ebay was saying I'd be waiting until the 28th, but most stories on other forums seem to suggest these monitors come far quicker than that. How long was shipping for others typically?
electristan
Member
(09-14-2012, 01:54 PM)
electristan's Avatar
Didn't know this thread existed. Here is my post from the Pick-up thread.

Had it a few weeks now and its still working perfectly. no dead pixels at all and i didn't pick a "pixel perfect" version and minimal light bleed.

Also haven't had any issues with the 6ms response, no ghosting as far as i can tell and i usually notice things like that.


Originally Posted by electristan

Picked up the Achieva ShiMian QH270-IPSBS frop the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article a few weeks back, very happy with it. No dead pixels and only a little light bleed

Old 22" 1920x1200 in the background. 27" 2460x1440 is a big step up :)



Nevasleep
Member
(09-14-2012, 02:36 PM)
Nevasleep's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mii

My Shimian QH270-lite was just up in Korea. It has since moved from Seoul to Incheon. Estimates through Ebay was saying I'd be waiting until the 28th, but most stories on other forums seem to suggest these monitors come far quicker than that. How long was shipping for others typically?

Who's it shipping by? To where?
If its FedEx probably 2-3 days.
The Albatross
Member
(09-14-2012, 02:44 PM)
The Albatross's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zilch

What's the backstory here? Why are people buying monitors from another country? What is S-IPS?

These are super high res and high quality displays at about 1/3 the price that Dell, Apple, and Samsung sell them for. Most of these panels are made from rejected units from Dell and Apple re packaged with another brand, with zero frills. But you're getting a 27" IPS high quality display for $300. THey're only sold in Korea for the most part. Had my eye on one for months but haven't pulled the trigger.
Vilam
Maxis Redwood
(09-14-2012, 02:44 PM)
Vilam's Avatar

Originally Posted by coldfoot

Get the HP zr2740w if you want the anti-glare coated version.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out. I honestly don't know why they even make monitors with glossy screens.
Mii
J360 dude lifelong
(09-14-2012, 02:44 PM)
Mii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nevasleep

Who's it shipping by? To where?
If its FedEx probably 2-3 days.

DHL currently. Going to Boston.
Last edited by Mii; 09-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Lucis
Member
(09-14-2012, 02:45 PM)
Lucis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mii

My Shimian QH270-lite was just up in Korea. It has since moved from Seoul to Incheon. Estimates through Ebay was saying I'd be waiting until the 28th, but most stories on other forums seem to suggest these monitors come far quicker than that. How long was shipping for others typically?

I live in the bay area, so looks like it'll be here today


Sep 14, 2012 6:25 AM
Departed FedEx location
OAKLAND, CA
Sep 13, 2012 3:03 PM
International shipment release - Import
ANCHORAGE, AK
Sep 13, 2012 1:14 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK
Sep 13, 2012 10:35 PM
In transit
INCHEON KR
Sep 13, 2012 8:43 PM
In transit
INCHEON KR
Sep 13, 2012 5:40 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
SEONGNAM-SI KR
Sep 13, 2012 1:35 AM
Shipment information sent to FedEx
Sep 13, 2012 2:24 PM
Picked up
SEONGNAM-SI KR
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(09-14-2012, 02:47 PM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seth C

Well I was looking at these, but it seems my graphics card (5770) isn't supported, according to this from Green Sum.

Wait, where's the 6850?
Mii
J360 dude lifelong
(09-14-2012, 05:12 PM)
Mii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Antiwhippy

Wait, where's the 6850?

Per this person's experience, the card will work with the monitor but may cause an unusual visual at startup. He had to turn the monitor on after turning on the computer to prevent this. I can't say whether this is unique to this person's monitor or true of all 6850s.
dhatt1
Member
(09-14-2012, 05:53 PM)
dhatt1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seth C

Why does that say it won't support Macs? Even my 2007 Macbook Pro has a Dual Link DVI out. Should it really matter what card you have?
Lucis
Member
(09-14-2012, 05:58 PM)
Lucis's Avatar
From what I have seen from various OC threads, they indeed do work with some macs. However I think they just put it there to try not to confuse people and get return request and stuff.

Mac laptop's display port to dual link dvi is 100$ lol...
As a mac user, all i can say is lol and then shrug
Ceebs
Member
(09-14-2012, 06:01 PM)
Ceebs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mii

My Shimian QH270-lite was just up in Korea. It has since moved from Seoul to Incheon. Estimates through Ebay was saying I'd be waiting until the 28th, but most stories on other forums seem to suggest these monitors come far quicker than that. How long was shipping for others typically?

Ordered on a Monday in the afternoon, showed up in Atlanta on Wednesday mid day.
coldfoot
Banned
(09-14-2012, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Lucis

From what I have seen from various OC threads, they indeed do work with some macs. However I think they just put it there to try not to confuse people and get return request and stuff.

Mac laptop's display port to dual link dvi is 100$ lol...
As a mac user, all i can say is lol and then shrug

Much easier solution is get the one with multiple inputs, which includes DP, and then get a miniDP to DP cable which will work in the thunderbolt ports of macs. You will even get audio through it.
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-32.../dp/B0034X6SCY
Lucis
Member
(09-15-2012, 04:36 AM)
Lucis's Avatar
Such a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU moment arg.

Got the monitor no problem, was thinking about grabbing a dual link dvi cable from work today and totally forgot. Now I can't even buy one anywhere near me in retail, unless i want to pay 35$ to radio shack

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo
MrBig
Member
(09-15-2012, 04:41 AM)
MrBig's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lucis

Such a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU moment arg.

Got the monitor no problem, was thinking about grabbing a dual link dvi cable from work today and totally forgot. Now I can't even buy one anywhere near me in retail, unless i want to pay 35$ to radio shack

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

These should come with DVI-DL cables.
Lucis
Member
(09-15-2012, 04:44 AM)
Lucis's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrBig

These should come with DVI-DL cables.

OH *(&#(*! BRO
You are RIGHT!

I was too depressed to even open the box.

IT IS INSIDE!!!!

Time to set this baby up

THANKS

EDIT: DONE =D

it's glorious

too bad i don't have a camera on hand

Last edited by Lucis; 09-15-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Accoun
Member
(09-15-2012, 09:40 PM)
Accoun's Avatar
Anyone knows?

Originally Posted by Accoun

Out of curiosity: Are there actually monitors by more known brands without internal scaler?

ReturnOfTheRAT
Member
(09-15-2012, 09:46 PM)
ReturnOfTheRAT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lucis

Such a FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU moment arg.

Got the monitor no problem, was thinking about grabbing a dual link dvi cable from work today and totally forgot. Now I can't even buy one anywhere near me in retail, unless i want to pay 35$ to radio shack

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

Originally Posted by Lucis

OH *(&#(*! BRO
You are RIGHT!

I was too depressed to even open the box.

IT IS INSIDE!!!!

Time to set this baby up

THANKS

EDIT: DONE =D

it's glorious

too bad i don't have a camera on hand

This is amazing.
mavs
Member
(09-15-2012, 09:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Accoun

Anyone knows?

The original 30" monitors from Dell and HP lacked scalers: Dell 3007WFP(-HC) and HP LP3065. Scalers that could process that resolution didn't exist yet so they launched without them. There may have been an Apple monitor also. Beyond that not really, the technology for smaller monitors was never a problem and US companies like to have as long a feature list as possible.
-COOLIO-
The Everyman
(09-16-2012, 12:08 AM)
-COOLIO-'s Avatar
dream-seller:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ACHIEVA-Shimi...#ht_9460wt_802

or

green-sum:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-ACHIEVA-S...t_13152wt_1102

?
Last edited by -COOLIO-; 09-16-2012 at 12:28 AM.
TrounceX
Member
(09-16-2012, 12:25 AM)
TrounceX's Avatar
Ta planet and Green sum are both very reputable. Don't know about the other guy.

I gotta say those Crossovers do look gorgeous.
MrBig
Member
(09-16-2012, 12:27 AM)
MrBig's Avatar

Originally Posted by -COOLIO-

any advice for picking a seller on ebay?

Accessories Whole, Green Sum, or BigClothCraft

They will do partial refunds for dead pixels (if you get a perfect pixel model) and pay for return shipping if something serious goes wrong.
-COOLIO-
The Everyman
(09-16-2012, 12:33 AM)
-COOLIO-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by TrounceX

Ta planet and Green sum are both very reputable. Don't know about the other guy.

I gotta say those Crossovers do look gorgeous.

i was eyeing the crossovers first but then i noticed the lites on ebay are waaaay cheaper. i thought they were >300

greensum it is!

thanks guys!
-COOLIO-
The Everyman
(09-16-2012, 12:38 AM)
-COOLIO-'s Avatar
agh!

this crossover is from TA planet and its only 290!

game over! buy buy buy!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-CROSSOVER...#ht_8333wt_778
MrBig
Member
(09-16-2012, 12:42 AM)
MrBig's Avatar

Originally Posted by -COOLIO-

agh!

this crossover is from TA planet and its only 290!

game over! buy buy buy!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-CROSSOVER...#ht_8333wt_778

+shipping. All the others include the shipping in the price.

Thread Tools