• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

slaughterking
(07-15-2013, 07:25 PM)
Wario Land and Kat Bailey. Very promising. Can't wait to give that a listen on my commute tomorrow.
Evenball
(07-15-2013, 07:35 PM)
I was at the live podcast on sunday. The topic was summer gaming memories. I didn't participate in the audience portion, which went on for like 50 minutes but I had a good time.
shouamabane
(07-15-2013, 07:45 PM)
The Wario episode is very good.
wrowa
(07-15-2013, 08:26 PM)
Wario Land 4 wasn't the origin of Wario Ware. The first Wario Ware game was actually hidden in the 64DD game Mario Artist Polygon Studio even if it still lacked the Wario coat of painting. But the gameplay was exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FoB3n1kxrY

Originally Posted by shouamabane

The Wario episode is very good.

I agree with that, was very nice to listen to.
Ninjimbo
(07-15-2013, 10:12 PM)
Now I feel like playing Wario Land 4. Great episode.

The revival has been great thus far. I really enjoyed Jeremy's primer on Prog Rock last week.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(07-16-2013, 12:10 AM)
Just had to say that the new theme song is really damn cool, great job.
Eyothrie
(07-16-2013, 12:11 AM)
Is this new feed on iTunes yet?
daydream
(07-16-2013, 01:20 AM)
Great topic for a podcast, I love the Wario Land games. Can't wait to listen. And Kat's back, woo!
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(07-16-2013, 01:39 AM)
Just add the RSS feed to iTunes. It works just fine.
.JayZii
(07-16-2013, 04:41 AM)

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

Just had to say that the new theme song is really damn cool, great job.

It's cool that they got Anamanaguchi to do it. Still, it's almost a little too high energy for my taste; considering the show's vibe, that is.

Maybe I'm just not used to it yet.
Last edited by .JayZii; 07-16-2013 at 04:51 AM.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(07-16-2013, 05:27 AM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

I felt kind of let down that the first episode kinda felt just like a bunch of dudes talking randomly about the rather undefined 83 topic.

So you weren't previously a big fan of Retronauts?
ToastyFrog
Inexplicable Treasure Hate
(07-16-2013, 06:51 AM)
iTunes feed is now live:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ts/id672857593
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(07-16-2013, 06:52 AM)
What an interesting episode. Have they ever done a show before where they went in depth about Wario, mechanics and character?
SteeloDMZ
Banned
(07-16-2013, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by ToastyFrog

iTunes feed is now live:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ts/id672857593

Awesome. Great cover art by the way. Was you the one who did it?
LiK
(07-16-2013, 01:24 PM)
Listening to the first ep and I wanna punch those people making all that noise in the hallway.
Neifirst
(07-16-2013, 01:27 PM)
Just came to say that the Wario episode was absolutely fantastic, and I'm definitely going to look into picking up some of the old games on the 3DS eShop. My only Wario experience is with Shake It, which I loved, and they were sort of down on compared to the Game Boy games. Nice to hear Kat Bailey talking about something other than RPGs too.
ToastyFrog
Inexplicable Treasure Hate
(07-16-2013, 04:39 PM)

Originally Posted by SteeloDMZ

Awesome. Great cover art by the way. Was you the one who did it?

Thanks. Yeah, I've been using the episode covers as an excuse to remember how to use Illustrator again.
LiK
(07-16-2013, 04:40 PM)
Wario ep done, great ep. Never played any of the games.
rjc571
(07-16-2013, 04:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Neifirst

Just came to say that the Wario episode was absolutely fantastic, and I'm definitely going to look into picking up some of the old games on the 3DS eShop. My only Wario experience is with Shake It, which I loved, and they were sort of down on compared to the Game Boy games. Nice to hear Kat Bailey talking about something other than RPGs too.

I think they're pretty much full of crap regarding Shake It. The game has absolutely brilliant level design that works on multiple layers. It's my favorite Wario Land game by a good margin (although I haven't played 3).
ShinoguTakeruKoeru
(07-16-2013, 04:55 PM)
Loved the latest episode. My only exposure to the series was the first Wario Land, and I didn't like what little I played of 4 off my 3DS because of the vast difference. Perhaps if I had the same progression as you guys did then I would feel different.
slaughterking
(07-16-2013, 05:24 PM)
Enjoyed the latest episode. One technical thing that bothered me was that it seemed a bit too quite. Even when I turned the volume of my phone all the way up I thought it wasn't quite loud enough.
krae_man
(07-17-2013, 04:22 AM)
Come on Kat, this is the third incarnation of Retronauts. Clearly that would be Retronauts 64.

Edit: Decided to play my ambassador Warioland 4. Game is great. This will be my new Podcast game for the next little while.
Last edited by krae_man; 07-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Sonicbug
(07-22-2013, 11:16 PM)
Am I the only one listening this week? It's minisode week. The topic is Captain N: The Game Master.

Expect much lamenting of shitty 1980's toy tie-in animation.
Brianimaniac
(07-23-2013, 09:27 AM)
I loved the Wario episode. One of my favorites in a long time.

I do wish Bob would slow down a little. He talks like someone with a gun to his head is telling him to hurry.

Jeremy briefly mentioned that WayForward's first Adventure Time game is a good approximation of Zelda II, but is it equally difficult?
@MUWANdo
Banned
(07-23-2013, 12:02 PM)

Originally Posted by I Like Comics

Jeremy briefly mentioned that WayForward's first Adventure Time game is a good approximation of Zelda II, but is it equally difficult?

Not even close. Try Battle of Olympus or Faxanadu or something if you want a challenge.
Brianimaniac
(07-23-2013, 01:02 PM)
I don't want a challenge. I suck at Zelda II.
carfo
Banned
(07-23-2013, 01:05 PM)
My favorite podcast has returned
Harlock
(07-27-2013, 01:36 PM)
Bob Mackey, you can not talk about something that you think is too sexual in at least one episode? Just one. Serious. You was rised by your grandmother? Even Jeremy Parish, with all your intellectual Rococo, is not so puritan.
SteeloDMZ
Banned
(07-28-2013, 10:20 PM)
Jeremy, if you read this, please do a Shin Megami Tensei episode. That Persona episode from 2009 was such a tease.
bigkrev
(07-29-2013, 02:20 AM)
Guys, Jeremy tweeted this out a few days ago

Probably not for 2 more weeks, but the return of Sharkey is confirmed!
Worthintendo
(07-29-2013, 02:53 AM)

Originally Posted by bigkrev

The Prodigal Son Returns!!!
JEKKI
(07-29-2013, 03:11 AM)
whooo!! the prodigy shark comes back!!
mattiewheels
(07-29-2013, 03:18 AM)
Woooo. Needs Sharkey and Kohler for that classic Retronauts feel.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(07-29-2013, 04:18 AM)

Zee-Row
I'm a HUGE Nickelback fan!

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars And live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars
(07-29-2013, 04:31 AM)
It blows my mind that the Friday the 13th NES game was developed by Atlus!
massoluk
(07-29-2013, 04:44 AM)
Can you people at retronaut check the sound level and the microphone before proceeding next time? I can barely hear some time. It's either that or turning it very loud
bigkrev
(07-29-2013, 04:45 AM)
Sharkey looks like Bob's dad in that picture
Dark Octave
Banned
(07-29-2013, 04:47 AM)
Awesome. Downloding episodes as we speak. This will make tomorrow's work day much easier to get through.
pje122
(07-29-2013, 06:26 AM)
Oh man, Sharky! Heck yes!
Jeremy said he got shipped off to the desert or something. Glad he made it back.
ShinoguTakeruKoeru
(07-29-2013, 06:28 AM)

Originally Posted by SteeloDMZ

Jeremy, if you read this, please do a Shin Megami Tensei episode. That Persona episode from 2009 was such a tease.

I wonder if one of the podcast topic suggestions from KickStarter was SMT.

Did anybody else here back the KickStarter at all on that tier? Would we even be allowed to say the topic?! O_O
Rickenslacker
(07-29-2013, 06:39 AM)
Aww yeah, Sharkey. It wouldn't be Retronauts proper if he hadn't made an appearance.
krae_man
(07-29-2013, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by ShinoguTakeruKoeru

Did anybody else here back the KickStarter at all on that tier? Would we even be allowed to say the topic?! O_O

I did.

Sorry, I didn't choose SMT
@MUWANdo
Banned
(07-29-2013, 07:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

It blows my mind that the Friday the 13th NES game was developed by Atlus!

It's not quite that simple... LJN contracted a bunch of games to Atlus, and then Atlus would sub-contract those games to friends at other studios, or people who'd simply make them on the cheap. I don't think a single one of those Atlus-contracted games was made entirely in-house.
IrishNinja
(07-29-2013, 07:46 AM)
caught up on new & pocket eps, just got done grabbing all the old ones, kinda working my way backwards! this is my favorite/only podcast, haha...any eps that were you guys' persona highlights? recommend some random ones, im finishing up the TG-16 one in between watching SGDQ
Worthintendo
(07-29-2013, 03:38 PM)

I got the mini episode tier after someone backed out on one of them. Gave a few suggestions as I wasn't sure what would fit best. I'm going to be interested to see which one they choose.

Also I can't wait for Wrestlenauts whenever that comes up
bigkrev
(07-29-2013, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by krae_man

I did.

Sorry, I didn't choose SMT

See, your not allowed to post that and NOT say what your topic was.
Ninjimbo
(07-29-2013, 04:10 PM)

See, your not allowed to post that and NOT say what your topic was.

It was Wrestlenauts.
turnbuckle
(07-29-2013, 05:38 PM)

OMG yes

I did, but I never did pick a topic. I'm not sure if it's too late or not, but I couldn't do SMT since I haven't started it yet. Still have the game in the box while I work on Fire Emblem :P
I think the retronauts emails were going to my spam or something since I basically donated and didn't really check back. Been out of the loop, preoccupied.

I actually would love a retronauts that talks about old gaming magazines leading up to the early years of gaming websites. Not sure if that would work out though since that's more about looking back on the industry than a genre or series and may create some kind of conflict of interest.
Last edited by turnbuckle; 07-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.
krae_man
(07-29-2013, 07:32 PM)
Retronauts Volume III Episode 3: Ninja Gaiden

Hi, it’s Ray. I was bemused that after so many episodes of Retronauts on so many different topics, we never took time to dive into Tecmo’s Ninja Gaiden series. It was one of the best-remembered series of the NES days, and not only did it codify a big part of games (it was arguably the first console action game to incorporate cut-scenes), it owes a bit to its contemporaries, namely Castlevania. And that’s just one of the talking points we go over in this episode.

My intent was to touch on all of the “retro” Ninja Gaiden games, as they’re not just the NES trilogy most people remember. There was the original arcade game, the Game Boy title, some notable ports, and as you’ll find out, a whole other Sega-borne series that Tecmo licensed out. We also talk about some Ninja Gaiden-related media and merchandise. However, we don’t talk much about Tecmo’s rebooted Ninja Gaiden series — though some of you may have been kids when it got started, we weren’t, and why were you allowed to play M-rated games, anyway?!

Direct download (MP3) | SoundCloud | RSS
Find us on the iTunes Store and leave a nice review!

This episode’s breakdown:
0:46 | Digital download discussion (Game Gear VC releases & Final Fantasy VII on Steam)
12:25 | Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
24:00 | Ninja Gaiden (NES)
39:31 | Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
50:24 | Ninja Gaiden III (NES)
56:39 | Ninja Gaiden Shadow (GB)
1:01:26 | Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
1:05:48 | Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)
1:10:44 | Ninja Gaiden (Master System)
1:14:21 | Ninja Gaiden (Mega Drive)
1:18:19 | Ninja Gaiden anime & Worlds of Power novel
1:24:24 | Haggleman 3
1:27:55 | Closing

Originally Posted by turnbuckle

I actually would love a retronauts that talks about old gaming magazines leading up to the early years of gaming websites. Not sure if that would work out though since that's more about looking back on the industry than a genre or series and may create some kind of conflict of interest.

Well they did do one on Gamepro.
Last edited by krae_man; 07-30-2013 at 04:53 AM.
sixteen-bit
(07-29-2013, 07:46 PM)
lol, please tell me you shit on the awful scrolling in the PC Engine version.