• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sapiens
Banned
(03-07-2017, 08:31 PM)
Ads are a non issue and a bargain price to pay for the content. Keep it up, Retronaut jerks.
Fenster Mayhew
(03-07-2017, 10:05 PM)

Originally Posted by FN-2187

I use Stitcher on Android and it hasn't shown up yet.

I'm actually not sure what's going to happen with our Stitcher and Google Play Music feeds. I've reached out to our Podcast One rep, so hopefully I can get some answers soon.
nckillthegrimace
(03-07-2017, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Fenster Mayhew

The transition to the new feed may take a little bit of time to wrap up. Right now it seems that people using iTunes can access it, though you may need to unsubscribe/resubscribe to get things working again.

If you're not using iTunes and can't download the file, can you tell me what podcast app/program you're using? Contrary to what a lot of people out there think, iTunes isn't a podcast host and instead points users towards a file hosted elsewhere. I'm currently using Downcast for my podcast player and it's still pulling from the old Libsyn feed┬Śmeaning Yoshi games is still the newest episode.

I'm also using Downcast.
ToastyFrog
Inexplicable Treasure Hate
(03-07-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Dylan

From my perspective as a long-time audience member, my perception has been that Bob was the guy who kept Retronauts alive during the times when it might have otherwise died. So yeah, super mega thanks to Bob!

This is correct. He also talked me out of quitting the show about a year ago when the stress of work, family concerns, and sinking a few dozens hours a month into this show had me suffocatingly depressed, filled with palpable self-loathing, and about one setback away from throwing myself off a bridge. Which, in turn, started things rolling for the move to making Retronauts a proper media property. So yeah, all of this is HIS fault.
Cyan
Red
(03-08-2017, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by ToastyFrog

So yeah, all of this is HIS fault.

I knew it. Curse you, Bob! *shakes fist*
RadarScope1
(03-08-2017, 04:41 PM)
I just watched the Urban Champion vid. Even though the game is garbage, I really appreciate Jeremy's approach to providing context on every piece of content he creates. He placed the game in context of both the past (Game & Watch) and present/future (1-2 Switch). I actually had no idea about the connection to the LCD boxing game, and I have spent a lot of time mulling over the legacy of the black box lineup. Great stuff.
.JayZii
(03-08-2017, 10:49 PM)
Loved the Final Fantasy IV episode. Thanks to Kohler for busting out his hot, back-of-the-magazine leveling tips.

I really need to pick up the PSP version at some point. After not having played IV for a long time, the DS version was the one I played again a few years ago. All I could think throughout was, "Wow, I remember this being a lot easier. I somehow got worse at playing JRPGs?".
Vic_Viper
(03-09-2017, 09:05 PM)
Put all the old retronauts podcasts in my iTunes library to listen to at work on my phone. But the way they are sorted on my phone is completely random and extremely annoying. Does anyone have a list I can use to rename them with episode numbers and titles? I'm at work now so I couldn't find one easily atm but will look when I get home. Was hopeing that someone else here already had one.

Also is there a place to get all the old 1up Show and the other shows podcasts? Would like to be able to download them all at once if at all possible. I know when 1up was closing people had put some torrents together but it's been so long now that it's not as easy to find. Wish I had saved them at the time.
Fenster Mayhew
(03-09-2017, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Vic_Viper

Put all the old retronauts podcasts in my iTunes library to listen to at work on my phone. But the way they are sorted on my phone is completely random and extremely annoying. Does anyone have a list I can use to rename them with episode numbers and titles? I'm at work now so I couldn't find one easily atm but will look when I get home. Was hopeing that someone else here already had one.

Also is there a place to get all the old 1up Show and the other shows podcasts? Would like to be able to download them all at once if at all possible. I know when 1up was closing people had put some torrents together but it's been so long now that it's not as easy to find. Wish I had saved them at the time.

Soundcloud has a complete chronological listing of our post-1UP episodes, and you can find all of our 1UP episodes on archive.org.
Vic_Viper
(03-09-2017, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Fenster Mayhew

Soundcloud has a complete chronological listing of our post-1UP episodes, and you can find all of our 1UP episodes on archive.org.

Thank you!

For some reason the old Retronauts episodes on iTunes don't download even though they are still available on the app.

Going back through these old episodes bring back so many good memories. 1up was by far the best place to go during its time, and still rivals almost every other site to this day. Giantbomb is the only other site that can even compare but it's still not the same :(
Fenster Mayhew
(03-10-2017, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Vic_Viper

Thank you!

For some reason the old Retronauts episodes on iTunes don't download even though they are still available on the app.

Are you talking about the 1UP episodes? Because we don't own those and the people who do clearly don't care.
bigkrev
(03-13-2017, 10:18 PM)
3/13/2017
We will forever remember this date as the day the PodcastOne paywall on the archives fell. We struggled for a long 7 days, and we will remember and honor our fallen bretheren until the we draw our last breath.

https://twitter.com/retronauts/statu...57899389636610
rottendevice
(03-14-2017, 12:20 AM)
I'm getting tired of music episodes. They aren't informative/interesting in the same way traditional episodes are.

I still love the show...
krae_man
(03-14-2017, 01:40 AM)
I'm hearing double, 4 Jeremy's!
ToastyFrog
(03-14-2017, 03:07 AM)

Originally Posted by krae_man

I'm hearing double, 4 Jeremy's!

Explain?
krae_man
(03-14-2017, 03:27 AM)

Explain?

In the 80's Sega arcade episode in the beginning your voice was getting picked up by a second mic and you were in double stereo. Just you though and not the entire episode.
RoryDropkick
(03-14-2017, 03:27 AM)
I heard that as well, it sounded like you were announcing over a stadium speaker.
ToastyFrog
(03-14-2017, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by RoryDropkick

I heard that as well, it sounded like you were announcing over a stadium speaker.

Ah, ok, I'll have to fix that. I though I had fixed it all. The whole thing was recorded on two separate streams in separate apps that had the slightest fraction of a second's speed difference, so the entire 2 hour episode required me to constantly resync the audio tracks. Thankfully I have a proper multitrack sound board now, so that'll never happen again.
krae_man
(03-14-2017, 06:21 PM)
I never really played any of those games minus the ones that were on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I played Space Harrier and Flicky for a bit.
Suzzopher
(03-14-2017, 08:02 PM)
That SEGA episode was brilliant!
PillarEN
(03-15-2017, 03:04 PM)
Listened to the latest music episode yesterday. God damn Jeremy. Knocking it out of the park. Funny thing about the Game Boy Camera. I never owned the "game" but got to fiddle around with it as a kid since my friend had it and his dad was driving us to our hockey game in some random city. I was being really annoying with it and taking pictures of the dad. He proceeded to rip out the game from the Game Boy and that would be that.

I had no idea about the music though. I kept repeating that section of the podcast because I was stunned by how awesome and all over the place the music was.
ToastyFrog
(03-15-2017, 06:29 PM)

I never really played any of those games minus the ones that were on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I played Space Harrier and Flicky for a bit.

That's why I wanted to cover this stuff. A lot of it is really interesting, but SEGA rarely shines a light on much of its pre-Super Scaler stuff. It's pretty unknown and I wish we had easier access to it!

I am also pretty satisfied with the created-on-the-fly theory that the combination of the Gulf+Western selloff and the arrival of Yu Suzuki gave SEGA the freedom and talent to become an A-rank developer.
Cyan
Red
(03-15-2017, 06:38 PM)

Originally Posted by PillarEN

Listened to the latest music episode yesterday. God damn Jeremy. Knocking it out of the park.

I'm really enjoying the new music episodes. The old micro ones were fine if I already knew and liked the music in question, but these ones are interesting even when it's something I haven't heard before. The format of part music part discussion/explanation works out really well.
krae_man
(03-15-2017, 06:41 PM)
Looks like you got a episode topic handed to you on a silver platter:

http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1352672
FN-2187
(03-15-2017, 07:20 PM)

Looks like you got a episode topic handed to you on a silver platter:

http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1352672

While I'd be happy to hear them revisit the topic, I recall Bob doing a really good episode covering all of the Disney Capcom NES games a couple of years ago.

Edit: I just realized this is being done by Digital Eclipse. So, yeah, it would be great to have an episode with Frank and/or Mike to talk about making the game and how difficult the licensing process and all that was.
Last edited by FN-2187; 03-15-2017 at 07:30 PM.
krae_man
(03-15-2017, 07:30 PM)

While I'd be happy to hear them revisit the topic, I recall Bob doing a really good episode covering all of the Disney Capcom NES games a couple of years ago.

Edit: I just realized this is being done by Digital Eclipse. So, yeah, it would be great to have an episode with Frank and/or Mike to talk about making the game and how difficult the licensing process and all that was.

Looks like 6 years ago. That episode is almost retro!
smisk
(03-15-2017, 07:32 PM)
Love the music episodes! Don't really have an interest in buying game music on vinyl (though that Castlevania III release is looking tempting) but it's cool that someone is covering this stuff. And it turned me on to all the great SEGA stuff on Spotify.
.JayZii
(03-18-2017, 01:14 AM)
I really enjoy the conversation between music in the new music episode. I don't know if that's always feasible, but a bit of a back and forth between songs is nice.
Rlan
(03-21-2017, 12:48 AM)
Listening to the Sega Arcade episode now. Great!

One note: Flicky did come out on the Genesis, but never came out in Japan on the platform outside of download things. Came out on the SG-1000 though. The US versions kind of hard to find now, but the European one was pretty easy to get.

I get the idea that Flicky might have been really popular in Europe but not much else. Also, no mention that Flicky has since become a core element of the Sonic series as one of the animals you save (and the naming scheme for other animals like Ricky, Picky)

Plus the game Sonic 3D Blast is entirely centered around Sonic collecting types of Flickies

To the point that the game is called Sonic 3D: Flickies Island in Europe. Which supports the "popular in Europe" theory.
.JayZii
(03-21-2017, 01:53 AM)
Just finished the Sega arcade episode. It's interesting hearing the Retronauts East group getting a podcast chemistry going. Ben and Benj both sound a bit tentative still, but I'm sure they'll get into a more familiar groove without Jeremy boozing them up soon enough.

Benj always sounds like he's on the verge of saying something naughty, looks at Jeremy, and thinks better of it.
Shaneus
(03-21-2017, 02:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Rlan

One note: Flicky did come out on the Genesis, but never came out in Japan on the platform outside of download things. Came out on the SG-1000 though. The US versions kind of hard to find now, but the European one was pretty easy to get.

I get the idea that Flicky might have been really popular in Europe but not much else. Also, no mention that Flicky has since become a core element of the Sonic series as one of the animals you save (and the naming scheme for other animals like Ricky, Picky)

Plus the game Sonic 3D Blast is entirely centered around Sonic collecting types of Flickies

To the point that the game is called Sonic 3D: Flickies Island in Europe. Which supports the "popular in Europe" theory.

Holy shit, I never drew the comparison between Flicky and Flickies Island. Mind fucking blown.

Edit: It's also worth noting that one of the Virtua Tennis games (I think 4? And maybe the one on Vita as well) has a very Flicky-like minigame:
krae_man
(03-21-2017, 03:15 PM)
Loved the Celebrity video game episode guys.

I noticed you didn't mention a single Mary-Kate and Ashley game. Giving them their own episode are you?

I can't wait!
Sapiens
Banned
(03-21-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Rlan

Pretty sure Flicky was on the wondermega disc or a game can in Japan.

An ok episode.

Any way, I really think sega based segments or episodes leave a lot to be desired. This was nothing more than reading through the system-16 archives and playing a mame rom for a few mins. Not a lot of meaningful discussions and lots of weird disbelief at flicky, which is a really fun game.

Some engaging discussion around sprite manipulation during the super scaled part.

Not up to the level I'm used to. More research into the matter before recording next time would help. Jeremy usually puts some good research into things, but with sega I guess we're lucky to at least not to get too much kholer-esque ridicule and vitriol.

Edit: Flicky was avail on wondermega collection and sega game can vol 1 in Japan.
Last edited by Sapiens; 03-21-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Rlan
(03-21-2017, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Sapiens

Edit: Flicky was avail on wondermega collection and sega game can vol 1 in Japan.

Even Segaretro didn't have that on the Flicky page, so I've now added that :P Interesting!
FN-2187
(03-21-2017, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Sapiens

An ok episode.

Any way, I really think sega based segments or episodes leave a lot to be desired. This was nothing more than reading through the system-16 archives and playing a mame rom for a few mins. Not a lot of meaningful discussions and lots of weird disbelief at flicky, which is a really fun game.

Some engaging discussion around sprite manipulation during the super scaled part.

Not up to the level I'm used to. More research into the matter before recording next time would help. Jeremy usually puts some good research into things, but with sega I guess we're lucky to at least not to get too much kholer-esque ridicule and vitriol.

Just listened to this episode. It seemed to me like Jeremy had done lots of research, but Benj had done none whatsoever, so it resulted in a lot of Jeremy describing games, with Benj making comments like "oh yeah, I kinda remember that", "oh yeah, I think I own that" instead of an actual discussion. Also, Jeremy would bring up some interesting information, and Benj would talk about a completely different game to change the subject. There was also some awkwardness with Jeremy trying to steer him away from making potentially offensive jokes/comments. It's only been two episodes, but it seems like the podcasting chemistry might not be there.

Meanwhile, I thought Ben made some interesting points about the technical aspects of some of the games and has good chemistry with Jeremy.

I also missed Bob's energy and jokes. He makes me legitimately laugh out loud at least once an episode.
Shaneus
(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)

Just listened to this episode. It seemed to me like Jeremy had done lots of research, but Benj had done none whatsoever, so it resulted in a lot of Jeremy describing games, with Benj making comments like "oh yeah, I kinda remember that", "oh yeah, I think I own that" instead of an actual discussion. Also, Jeremy would bring up some interesting information, and Benj would talk about a completely different game to change the subject. There was also some awkwardness with Jeremy trying to steer him away from making potentially offensive jokes/comments. It's only been two episodes, but it seems like the podcasting chemistry might not be there.

Meanwhile, I thought Ben made some interesting points about the technical aspects of some of the games and has good chemistry with Jeremy.

I also missed Bob's energy and jokes. He makes me legitimately laugh out loud at least once an episode.

Yeah, I think Benj needs a little more time to warm to the role, however I'm really enjoying Ben's insights because he seems really cluey about the historical sides of things. Pretty sure it was he that brought up the 2D Congo Bongo version that I had to look up (and looks super weird).

Also, the guys forgot an entry for the latest Patreon episode: C&C Music Factory Make My Video. Shame, it's probably more hilarious and weird than any of the others.
Last edited by Shaneus; 03-21-2017 at 11:03 PM.
ToastyFrog
(03-21-2017, 11:20 PM)

I'm afraid we don't quite have the budget to get Bob out to NC once a month, sorry.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(03-22-2017, 03:12 AM)

People don't always seem to appreciate what Bob brings to the table here! Like, the FF IV episode was great (like, really great, these single-game episodes have gotten better eah time) but it was still kinda sad that he had to leave in the middle. I haven't gotten to the Retronauts East ep yet (it's like three down in my podcast queue) but I'd expect it'll take a few tries to get the vibe as comfortable as Bob and Jeremy are at this point.
ToastyFrog
(03-22-2017, 03:26 AM)
Bob's episodes always get more downloads than mine, so it looks like everyone but you NeoGAF folks sees the appeal.

The SEGA East episode was mostly rough because I was so overwhelmed with all the responsibilities involved in making this show a proper business that I didn't put together the notes until about a day before the show, which means no one had time to properly research and prepare. I'm already well into writing up the next episode's notes (recording in a week) and putting my planning onto a more fixed, regular production schedule... I feel confident in saying it was a one-time issue.
randomkid
(03-22-2017, 04:33 AM)
I dunno you guys, I decided to click on today's Gintendo archive video for FF Adventure and within a couple minutes we got a Both Sides joke about hearing this Darklord character out, I wouldn't underestimate Jeremy when it comes to his contributions toward the color!
FN-2187
(03-22-2017, 03:30 PM)

Originally Posted by randomkid

I dunno you guys, I decided to click on today's Gintendo archive video for FF Adventure and within a couple minutes we got a Both Sides joke about hearing this Darklord character out, I wouldn't underestimate Jeremy when it comes to his contributions toward the color!

Oh yeah, Jeremy is funny for sure. I have that FFA stream on right now as I work. He just made a reference to an environment being like a Britney Spears concert because it is so toxic. That's funny on at least two levels.
Overtech
(03-22-2017, 03:46 PM)
Sorry, but could someone catch me up on the changes? I only download Retronauts when I see a game that I'm interested in being discussed. Last one was FFIV and the show sounded like it always did aside from Bob leaving halfway.
Suzzopher
(03-22-2017, 04:49 PM)
Enjoyed the celebrity episode.

I enjoyed Apocalypse back in the day. It was a fun twin stick shooter. It doesn't hold up well today, but Neversoft did some great things on PlayStation.

If you haven't played this Bob or Jeremy, check it out, it's a competent platform game that uses the David Beckham license in a wonderfully cheery way.
ToastyFrog
(03-22-2017, 07:25 PM)
I always wanted to give that one a play but could never find a reasonably priced copy that I could be sure wasn't pirated.
Cyan
Red
(03-22-2017, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Overtech

Sorry, but could someone catch me up on the changes? I only download Retronauts when I see a game that I'm interested in being discussed. Last one was FFIV and the show sounded like it always did aside from Bob leaving halfway.

Full-length episodes now happen every week instead of every other week. One episode a month is a "Retronauts East" episode with Jeremy and a new East Coast crew. One is a "radio" episode on retro game music. I think since they hit the latest Patreon goal tier micro episodes are back to happening every other week.

The next goal tier is for micros every week.
Suzzopher
(03-22-2017, 07:34 PM)

I always wanted to give that one a play but could never find a reasonably priced copy that I could be sure wasn't pirated.

I'll see if I can find my copy, I think it's at my mum's, if so I can send it to you of you like?

Oh yeah I was thinking of the most obscure celebrity game I have played and it has to be The Thompson Twins Adventure! Which was an adventure game based on The Thompson Twins single Doctor Doctor.

The weirdest thing about it wasn't that it came free with CVG magazine but it came on something called flexidisc, which you would then record to cassette to play on either the Speccy or the C64. I played it on the Speccy so I'd imagine the C64 version was likely better.

It wasn't a bad game either.
Last edited by Suzzopher; 03-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Shaneus
(03-22-2017, 11:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Suzzopher

Enjoyed the celebrity episode.

Safe to assume you listen to Laser Time podcasts (including Talking Simpsons), then?
Dylan
(03-23-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Suzzopher

it's a competent platform game that uses the David Beckham license in a wonderfully cheery way.

Is this the game that inspired the infamous theme song by Kevin Gifford?

Edit: Oh I guess it was a different David Beckham game.
Last edited by Dylan; 03-23-2017 at 12:58 AM.
El Pescado
(03-23-2017, 12:51 AM)
I only got like halfway through on my commute home tonight, but the Celebrity Games episode of Retronauts is amazing.
watershed
(03-23-2017, 12:54 AM)
Discovered this podcast about a month ago, been enjoying the back catalog ever since.