• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sibersk Esto
(12-08-2014, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Zukuu

Sounds nice, although I can't identify with the protagonist. Why do they always need to be so small, feminine, without the least bit of muscles? I want a School Rumble kind of protagonist. Anyway, I hope it'll be turned into an anime so I can watch it.

Well, they are usually pretty young, but even then they still have some pretty lean muscle

Qvoth
(12-08-2014, 03:35 AM)
it's a shonen trope
it's easier to self insert yourself this way
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(12-08-2014, 03:37 AM)
Actually what bothers me about most Shonen is no matter how the main character looks on the outside, and what they do, they always have perfect abs when they go shirtless.
Sibersk Esto
(12-08-2014, 03:38 AM)
Why can't I get abs like Luffy?

:'(
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

Actually what bothers me about most Shonen is no matter how the main character looks on the outside, and what they do, they always have perfect abs when they go shirtless.

Pegosaurus
Banned
(12-08-2014, 03:46 AM)
chiming in that i really like this series so far, and I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm expecting great things!
Qvoth
(12-08-2014, 03:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

the flashback showed he trained really hard, why wouldn't he have abs?

Originally Posted by SalvaPot

you try holding pokemons with one hand everyday for decades lol
Nairume
(12-08-2014, 04:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

And to that end, it's another thing that Hero Academia is neat about since it kinda addresses that for a change.
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

You lack friendship!
Weiss
(12-08-2014, 03:49 PM)
Just sped through all the available chapters and this is one of the best comics I've read in a long time. I like how Midoriya has to work hard to succeed All Might, and doesn't just get the powers handed to him right off the bat.
Puruzi
(12-08-2014, 04:47 PM)
I'm having a tough time choosing best girl between Frog girl and Infinity girl.
They're both great!
abadguy
Banned
(12-08-2014, 04:48 PM)

Didn't know Ash/Satoshi was so Jacked.

As for the manga haven't read it yet but the premise reminds me of "Sidekicks".
Last edited by abadguy; 12-08-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Poodlestrike
(12-08-2014, 04:55 PM)
Just got through the first couple of chapters; it's giving me serious Tiger and Bunny meets Eyeshield 21 vibes for some reason, so I'm of course loving the hell out of it.
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 05:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Puruzi

I'm having a tough time choosing best girl between Frog girl and Infinity girl.
They're both great!

Infinity girl best girl

But frog girl is really close behind.

MHWilliams
(12-08-2014, 06:05 PM)
The best part is I doubt the mangaka knows how popular Tsuyu (Frog Girl) is already becoming. Momo seemed to be his shot at a fan-popular character.
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 06:23 PM)

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

The best part is I doubt the mangaka knows how popular Tsuyu (Frog Girl) is already becoming. Momo seemed to be his shot at a fan-popular character.

How long until we get a character popularity poll? I´m sure she`ll take first place, judging by the amount of fanart.
Nairume
(12-08-2014, 06:36 PM)
He seems to be aware enough that she's showing up more now.

Does seem like he was expecting Creation Girl to be the breakout character, though :P
sonikokaruto
Banned
(12-08-2014, 07:29 PM)
is there a place where i can legally get this in english?
Nightbird
(12-08-2014, 07:33 PM)

But frog girl is really close behind.

This is totally going to be my Avatar, once I get home! Thank you! :3
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 08:39 PM)

Originally Posted by sonikokaruto

is there a place where i can legally get this in english?

Not yet, series is fresh new, maybe in the second half of 2015 or if Shonen Jump alpha decides to offer it.

For now its legal to read fan translations until an announcement is made.
Nightbird
(12-08-2014, 08:48 PM)

Not yet, series is fresh new, maybe in the second half of 2015 or if Shonen Jump alpha decides to offer it.

This is actually something that bugged me:

Am i, as EU-Peasant, able to use the US-Shonen Jump here? Even if it's just on the App, it would be ok.
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Rainbowgun

This is actually something that bugged me:

Am i, as EU-Peasant, able to use the US-Shonen Jump here? Even if it's just on the App, it would be ok.

As far as I know, no, you can't. I'm mexican and I tried too.
Nightbird
(12-08-2014, 09:56 PM)

What a Bummer.
Well, heres hoping that the Series will come out fast here!
fhqwhgads
(12-08-2014, 09:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Rainbowgun

This is totally going to be my Avatar, once I get home! Thank you! :3

BROTHER
Feltrol
(12-08-2014, 10:00 PM)

HERMANO!

I need to go to Japan one day. I want to support these mangas.
daveo42
(12-08-2014, 10:15 PM)
Hot damn is this good. One of the more solid shounens I've read in a while. I hope the pacing and plot keep up. I can definitely see how this could become popular in Japan.

Thanks for the heads up on this OP.
SalvaPot
(12-08-2014, 11:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Feltrol

HERMANO!

I need to go to Japan one day. I want to support these mangas.

I go to a book store in san diego that has them a week after they are out, I buy them to sell at my store x)
Nairume
(12-08-2014, 11:18 PM)

I wonder if they are waiting to see how it pans out, because they immediately jumped on Horikoshi's last manga, Barrage, only for it to get cancelled within a couple months.

Speaking of which, I really recommend people check out Barrage. While it's easy to see why it got cancelled (particularly due to its nasty pacing issues), it definitely had a lot of the same creativity that Horikoshi's got on display for Hero Academia.
Last edited by Nairume; 12-08-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Puruzi
(12-08-2014, 11:37 PM)
I really doubt that this is gonna be cancelled anytime soon. It seems to be doing very well right now, been in the top 5 since it started from what I heard.
Sou Da
(12-08-2014, 11:42 PM)
Just started reading. I hate the explosive kid's archetype so god damn much, also the protag's costume should have incorporated All Might's eyebrow things a bit better so he could have kept it while still showing his face. Iida is the best character and the book so far is pretty enjoyable.
Popnbake
(12-08-2014, 11:53 PM)
Glad I found this thread.

This manga currently feels like a great Naruto replacement.

As for comparisons with OPM, this seems to have a lot more potential given the main character. Saitama is just too strong for his superhero story.
Puruzi
(12-09-2014, 12:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Sou Da

Just started reading. I hate the explosive kid's archetype so god damn much, also the protag's costume should have incorporated All Might's eyebrow things a bit better so he could have kept it while still showing his face. Iida is the best character and the book so far is pretty enjoyable.

Yep Kacchan is an asshole. Died when I saw his thought process though
SalvaPot
(12-09-2014, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Nairume

I wonder if they are waiting to see how it pans out, because they immediately jumped on Horikoshi's last manga, Barrage, only for it to get cancelled within a couple months.

Speaking of which, I really recommend people check out Barrage. While it's easy to see why it got cancelled (particularly due to its nasty pacing issues), it definitely had a lot of the same creativity that Horikoshi's got on display for Hero Academia.

Barrage was fun and I'm happy it got localized, but sad how it crashed and burned. I personally liked his previous work (Oumagadoki Doubutsen) better, it was so silly, i loved it. Its funny how all the main girls he had made so far look really similar.

rrc1594
(12-09-2014, 12:20 AM)
Sub
SalvaPot
(12-09-2014, 12:20 AM)

Originally Posted by rrc1594

Sub

Welcome brother!

Ruuppa
(12-09-2014, 12:36 AM)
First time in ages I'm feeling the "vibe" from a new shonen series. Feelsgoodman.
BitStyle
(12-09-2014, 12:51 AM)
I've been following this manga for the last few weeks. Definitely enjoying what I've read so far, the character interactions and synergy work so well in my opinion.
My favorite character so far would have to be Minoru. Dude is a coward, but he sure speaks his desires lol.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(12-09-2014, 12:58 AM)
I am dying because the Vegata dude is jsut like Grenade from the Strangers. Down to the costume

SalvaPot
(12-09-2014, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Ruuppa

First time in ages I'm feeling the "vibe" from a new shonen series. Feelsgoodman.

I know exactly what you are feeling! Its that "Anything can happen"
feeling.

Originally Posted by BitStyle

I've been following this manga for the last few weeks. Definitely enjoying what I've read so far, the character interactions and synergy work so well in my opinion.
My favorite character so far would have to be Minoru. Dude is a coward, but he sure speaks his desires lol.

He reminds me of Lambo from KH Reborn!, Only pervy.
Poodlestrike
(12-09-2014, 02:01 AM)
I gotta say, this thing escalated really damn quick. Pretty sure we're going to see All Might die next issue.
MrSaturn99
(12-09-2014, 03:38 AM)
Read the first ten chapters. Loooove the art.
DaveH
(12-09-2014, 03:59 AM)
I sped through this on a couple of lunch breaks.

I'm okay with the premise... although, honestly, I'm more curious about how the West is doing. Seems like they'd embrace the whole superhero thing more whole-heartedly. I feel like this is more like the "Naruto is about ninjas, but not really / One Piece is about pirate but not really" bait-n-switch... where "hero" can be a hunter, ninja, pirate, wizard, or interchangeable whatever. Not that there's anything wrong with that in this genre, but I went in hoping for more western superhero trope trappings, but got more of a Tiger Bunny corporate vibe.

The whole "use your powers in clever ways" thing is so okay... nowhere near Hunter X Hunter or even early Naruto... about One Piece level. That said we're not even two volumes in so I'm more than willing to let it grow.

If they're trying to setup the rivalry thing, they've made Kacchan too unlikeable so far... he needs more humble pie, I guess.

My only two pet peeves... the villains are all grotesque (I swear, it's like every other mangaka has serious demons to excise and can't just leave it in their trapper keeper like a normal doodler) and that too many of the characters look like Kacchan.

Just my impressions from the first 17 chapters. I don't regret reading it but I'll probably check back in after a couple tankōbon build up.
Corgi
Banned
(12-09-2014, 04:02 AM)
so... is this super heroes world's mightiest disciple kenichi?

Miss that manga... and not just for the butts!
ChubbyHuggs
(12-09-2014, 04:15 AM)

Hahaha! The moment I saw this part when reading it, I saved a screen shot to use on here later.
WarRock
(12-09-2014, 04:17 AM)
The art is great.
FlowersisBritish
(12-09-2014, 04:29 AM)

Barrage was fun and I'm happy it got localized, but sad how it crashed and burned. I personally liked his previous work (Oumagadoki Doubutsen) better, it was so silly, i loved it. Its funny how all the main girls he had made so far look really similar.

I'm gonna check this out. I love the character designs so much in this. All the hero costumes have a sort of over the top that I'd expect.
Nightbird
(12-09-2014, 04:49 AM)

Originally Posted by fhqwhgads

BROTHER

Originally Posted by FlowersisBritish

I'm gonna check this out. I love the character designs so much in this. All the hero costumes have a sort of over the top that I'd expect.

You (and everyone else here) should definetly check out Oumagadoki Doubutsen. To me it's still better than Hero Academia (but the Gap is closing with each new Chapter). It was funny, very creative, and still had some Action going on.
Up to Today, this and Iron Knight were the only Mangas where i cursed Jump for cancelling them.
Harken Raiser
Penisologist
(12-09-2014, 04:54 AM)
I just read through the series, and I'm really feeling it. I love Japanese interpretations of American style superheroes (like Onepunch-Man and Tiger and Bunny).
I feel like I am ready to let a shonen series into my heart again.

edit: and then I immediately made this avatar
Last edited by Harken Raiser; 12-09-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Poodlestrike
(12-09-2014, 05:04 AM)

He's definitely an asshole, but he's an asshole in a really entertaining way. There's something about his ironclad sense of superiority that I find kind of hilarious, like he's sort of an ongoing deconstruction of the super-cocky style of Shonen hero.

Wow. The one on top is literally zero-gravity girl, lol.

Also, am I crazy or does the one on the bottom look a hell of a lot like Deku?

Originally Posted by Corgi

so... is this super heroes world's mightiest disciple kenichi?

Miss that manga... and not just for the butts!

Nah, it's not. If it was HSDK, there'd be a) about 80% more fanservice and b) they'd still be doing the "10 months of training" bit 17 chapters in XD

I miss it too :( Felt like it ended really abruptly.
Nothing1016
(12-09-2014, 05:05 AM)
Caught up in one setting. Such a breath of fresh air compared to everything else in Shounen Jump not called Shokugeki no Soma